Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Cargo ship leaves play by capitalism  (Read 2413 times)

zetsansun

• Pawn
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
Cargo ship leaves play by capitalism
« on: December 31, 2020, 11:17:23 pm »

Though the new errata prevent one from playing cargoship by procession, one still can make the cargo ship leaves play by capitalism and mandarin, and in that case there may already have a card over the cargoship, where will that card go?

Intuitively it shall be discrded but experiment on dominion.games shows that the card is still added to you hand on the next turn.

zetsansun

• Pawn
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
Re: Cargo ship leaves play by capitalism
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2020, 11:22:09 pm »

I have try again on dominion.games and somewhat even if you buy mandarin at first, you can still cargo ship other cards that you buy.

Seems like the effect of cargo ship shall just ignore the "(on this)".

Wizard_Amul

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2021, 12:02:03 am »

For any duration card, once you play it, the effect listed on the card will always happen even if the duration card leaves play. Unless there is text that explicitly requires another condition to be fulfilled (like "if you did"), you always do as much as you can with the instructions on any card.

Also, I don't know if this is explicitly stated anywhere, but I believe most/all text in parentheses is not actually instruction that needs to be followed but more of helpful tips. I was looking at Haven and interestingly the "(under this)" was added in a second edition later--I don't think it functionally changed anything but made it helpful for tracking which card is associated with Haven's on-play ability.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2021, 01:27:57 pm »
+1

For any duration card, once you play it, the effect listed on the card will always happen even if the duration card leaves play. Unless there is text that explicitly requires another condition to be fulfilled (like "if you did"), you always do as much as you can with the instructions on any card.

Also, I don't know if this is explicitly stated anywhere, but I believe most/all text in parentheses is not actually instruction that needs to be followed but more of helpful tips. I was looking at Haven and interestingly the "(under this)" was added in a second edition later--I don't think it functionally changed anything but made it helpful for tracking which card is associated with Haven's on-play ability.
There's no "reminder text" rule; text in parentheses applies. However the "under this" etc. on cards like Cargo Ship is just helpfully telling you how to track the effect; if the Cargo Ship is missing you still set aside a card, still get back the set-aside card.

Wizard_Amul

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2021, 03:52:37 pm »

There's no "reminder text" rule; text in parentheses applies. However the "under this" etc. on cards like Cargo Ship is just helpfully telling you how to track the effect; if the Cargo Ship is missing you still set aside a card, still get back the set-aside card.

Yeah, I didn't word that too well. I shouldn't have said "not actually instruction that needs to be followed," because you're right that parentheses text is not optional. Maybe there are some edge cases, but what I meant was not being able to follow the parentheses text usually still lets the rest of the card's instructions be followed normally--I think going by "do as much as you can" is a good way to go.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 20 queries.