Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Necromancer - checking vs not checking  (Read 1082 times)

DooWopDJ

• Golem
  • Respect: +62
    • View Profile
Necromancer - checking vs not checking
« on: December 26, 2020, 08:06:55 pm »

The Official FAQ states "...if the card checks to see if it was trashed (such as Pixie), it was not, but if the card does not check (such as Tragic Hero), it will function normally...".
My question is some more examples of 'does not check'.  I am currently playing the Tragic Hero from the Trash 1) I keep the Tragic Hero in the Trash 2) Do not 'trash' the Tragic Hero (as it is already there) 3) But I still 'gain a Treasure'

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1384
    • View Profile
Re: Necromancer - checking vs not checking
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2020, 08:55:38 pm »
+1

Feast (RIP) would be another example; you can use Necromancer on Feast to gain a $5 card.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1351
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2020, 08:59:29 pm »
+2

The Official FAQ states "...if the card checks to see if it was trashed (such as Pixie), it was not, but if the card does not check (such as Tragic Hero), it will function normally...".
My question is some more examples of 'does not check'.  I am currently playing the Tragic Hero from the Trash 1) I keep the Tragic Hero in the Trash 2) Do not 'trash' the Tragic Hero (as it is already there) 3) But I still 'gain a Treasure'

Correct.  Tragic Hero says "Trash this and gain a card".  The basic rule is you follow as much of the directions as possible.  So, the directions tell you to trash the card.  You can't, since it's already in the trash, so that instruction can't be followed.  Then it says to gain a Treasure.  Except for the highly improbable case where every single treasure pile is empty, you can follow that, so you gain a Treasure.  Acting Troupe and Farmers' Market also work with Necromancer when in the trash.  Feast also works with Necromancer if you include removed cards

Pre-2019 errata, Death Cart, Pillage, and Embargo worked with Necromancer.  Post-2019 errata, Death Cart can work with Necromancer, but only if you trash another card from your hand
They/them

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1642
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2020, 05:07:40 am »
+1

To add to Mxdata's list...

Knights also work. Raze half-way works: you can trash a card from your hand with it. Small Castle is the same as Raze.

It's not only about trash: Wine Merchant works, and Ratcatcher at least gives you +1 card and +1 Action. Horse works, and also a card using Way of the Horse, and Experiment. Encampment works (you don't even have to reveal Gold/Plunder), Island half-way works (you can set aside a card from your hand). All these cards stay in the trash if you play them with Necromancer.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 05:09:57 am by Jeebus »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.939 seconds with 21 queries.