Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Livery + Destrier  (Read 988 times)

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
Livery + Destrier
« on: December 23, 2020, 02:10:48 am »
+2

If I play a Livery, and Destriers currently cost , then when I buy a Destrier, do I gain a Horse? Or does the fact that Destriers now cost mean that I don't get a Horse? In other words, is the cost of the Destrier evaluated for Livery purposes before or after gaining it?
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile
Re: Livery + Destrier
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2020, 02:37:29 am »
+2

I'm pretty sure the answer is that you do gain a Horse, because at the time that you gained the Destrier, it cost $4.  The fact that after you gained it, its price changed, isn't relevant to Livery's instructions (of course, it does become relevant if you buy a second Destrier after that, since the second Destrier would be $2 at the time of gaining)
They/them

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2020, 02:41:25 am »

I'm pretty sure the answer is that you do gain a Horse, because at the time that you gained the Destrier, it cost $4.  The fact that after you gained it, its price changed, isn't relevant to Livery's instructions (of course, it does become relevant if you buy a second Destrier after that, since the second Destrier would be $2 at the time of gaining)

That makes sense. Thanks.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2020, 04:50:24 am »
+1

This is also answered in the Complete Rules for Dominion and All Its Expansions:

If you gain a Destrier costing $4, you gain a Horse from Livery: Even though Destrier’s cost is $3 right after you gain it, Livery has already triggered. In the same way, if you gain a Fisherman costing $2 because your discard pile is empty, you don’t gain a Horse even though Fisherman’s cost goes up to $5. Also: If you played Livery twice, and you gain a Wayfarer costing $4 or more, both abilities trigger—gaining you two Horses—even though Wayfarer costs $3 after you gain the first one.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 20 queries.