Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Dominion: Industrial Revolution Expansion!  (Read 6352 times)

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1684
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion: Industrial Revolution Expansion!
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2020, 03:05:51 pm »

Since my previous comment was mainly just on wording and clarifying some things, this time I'll talk about balance and what I actually think of the cards effect-wise.

This is probably my favorite card in the whole expansion. I like how well it balances itself based on the Kingdom; the only option that's overpowered is if it happens to be a Lost City variant, but that's so unlikely that it's probably balanced regardless (and that Kingdom would probably be really hard to play without Theatre, if it's both the only Village and the only drawer). Fantastic job on this one.

This is a weird one. I think it's probably too weak. It looks really powerful at first, but the + effect is probably going to completely cripple your current turn. It kind of neuters your current turn, but gives you more Coffers the better your current turn is. You don't get to make use of even one of the Buys or the cost reduction very often because of the large amount of debt that it gives you. Giving you a few Coffers on top of a pseudo-Inventor's effect (weaker than Inventor, since Inventor's cost reduction is Throne-able) is a small consolation prize for skipping a turn. On the other hand, you can spend all the Coffers to get rid of the Debt, and the +2 Buys make it probably strong enough to cost . Just writing this, I've actually talked myself out of thinking this is weak. I think this is probably fine at .

I think this is probably too strong. It's like a Chapel on steroids, that can even turn itself into a once it runs out of cards to trash, which is something no other pure trasher can do. It seems at first like it costs enough that it would be hard to hit the cards you'd want to trash by the time you bought it, but the fact that it can trash from the discard as well makes that not so much the case, and probably makes it a bit too swingy as well.

Like I said before, I still think this is way too strong to cost just more than Junk Dealer. If it's too weak at because you can't collide it with cards you'd want to trash it by then, then it probably just isn't balance-able at any cost.

This one is interesting. It's both a Smithy and an Ambassador at once; and it can be even stronger than that, since it makes opponents discard a card! (Although it can also be weaker, by e.g. returning a Copper and opponents discard Victory cards.) The Smithy effect even helps it get cards you'd want to return to the Supply into your hand. It looks too strong at first because of all this, but then you realize that since the opponents gain the cards to their hands, they can just return it with their own Infantries themselves. This is another one of the most well-designed cards in this expansion, IMO.

This is another really interesting one. It might be a bit too swingy, though. It's not very consistent, but it's very strong when it works.

This is probably too strong. Since it's terminal, it's quite easy to avoid its drawback by just not having any unused Actions afterwards anyway, and it's also broken by Villagers. It's stronger than it would be if it were a one-shot instead of using up all your unused Actions, and even a one-shot version would probably be too strong compared to Pillage due to the ability to gain cards with no cost restriction. It's also very swingy; you could have all opponents have nothing but Coppers and Estates, and then your opponent Bob plays it when you have a Platinum in hand.

This one is another interesting one. I like how it looks through your deck instead of your discard pile so that it's more likely to be useful (even in decks that don't draw themselves, you're more likely to have a large deck than a large discard pile). This is another one of my favorites from this expansion.

I don't really have anything to say about this one. It's just kind of meh, in my opinion. I think it's balanced, but it doesn't really do anything particularly exciting.

I don't really have any comments on this one either. "Laboratory, but big" doesn't really excite me all that much.

I think this is way too strong. Since it gives you +, just one of the many possibilities it can have is +3 Cards, +1 Action, a double-Lab, and it doesn't have the Smog-gaining drawback like Factory does. And this is strictly better than that, by a huge margin. It also looks like analysis-paralysis in card form. Of course, the goal of the game is to get Victory cards, so unless you're playing with Platinums and Colonies, people probably aren't going to buy the + cards over Provinces very often.

Just like Stock Exchange, this is too analysis-paralysis-y. It's probably balanced, though.

This is an interesting drawback. Not a particularly exciting card, though. Vanilla effects aren't very thrilling most of the time.

This compares too favorably to Oil Refinery to cost just more than it; it's a cantrip by itself instead of a Ruined Village, and its special ability is way stronger. Getting +1 Card and +1 Action added onto even incredibly weak effects is already better than Labifying them (for the most part), and Public School does it to ALL Action cards instead of just copies of one. This is probably the strongest card in the whole expansion, even relative to its cost.

If triple Lab + gain a Smog costs , double Hunting Grounds + superterminal + gain a Smog can probably cost or even . Steel Foundry's effect is honestly weaker than Factory's, even without the -1 Action effect.

Don't really have anything to say about this one, other than this one is definitely not going to be bought in a Province game. By the time you're getting , you need to be buying Provinces which are worth more and cost less.

This would be pitiful even without eventually becoming a one-shot (plus, if you actually need to play a 5th Slum, you have way too many terminals and are probably losing, and badly). Unless you have the Diadem, there's a point at which getting more +Actions stops being helpful and starts being pointless.

This is better than Slums, but not by much. You need to spend so many buys acquiring them for them to be useful that you likely won't be able to get the kinds of cards you'd want to draw in the first place (i.e. payload cards) in the meantime.

No sane person would actually use the below-the line effect. It takes three of these just to get them to average out to a Silver, and 5 (an entire hand's worth) to average out to a Gold, and both of those things are very unlikely to happen. Just look at Fool's Gold, which only costs more; it's leagues better than Banknote. It takes 6 Banknotes just for them to catch up to the power of the same amount of Fool's Golds, and Banknotes don't even have the option of turning into a much better card (real Gold) on certain conditions!

This is one of the few balanced ones of your -costs. Don't really have anything else to say about it.

This is too dependent on the Kingdom. It's terrible without trashing Attacks (which are super-rare) or TFB, but broken with them.

This is the other balanced -cost. I like this one.

No comments.

No comments.

This is way too strong. Gaining a Smog doesn't make up for how much stronger it is than Chapel at the same price. Especially since you can use the Smogs as Power Plant fodder.

This is too weak. Just Exiling with no other benefit is very slow, and to get a benefit, you have to Exile something you generally don't want to Exile and the Kingdom is fairly likely to not even have any Attacks.

This is another of my favorites. Good job on this one!

The name is kind of a mouthful. I'd name it "Vents" or something like that.

Another of my favorites.

No comments.

I still don't really think this needs to exist. The more Buys you already have, the less you need more Buys, so there isn't really any reason to buy more than one or two of these, and at that point it might as well be a project, and then it would just be Fair.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Carline

• Witch
  • Respect: +391
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2020, 06:32:41 pm »
+1

This card is cool!

This is intersting also, but as each copy already gives +2 Actions, maybe there's no need of the +1 Action step.

Is not always that we have to worry about interaction with only one existent card, but this one seems to be complicated. Moreover as this set is intended to play with Colonies. Even more if the kingdom also has a Villa, Cavalry, Outpost, Mission, Possession, Gamble, Toil, March or Innovation: you could trash a Victory and gain it before your opponent plays.

This also could be too strong.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2020, 07:00:59 pm by Carline »

The Alchemist

• Golem
  • Respect: +215
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2020, 08:23:41 pm »

By the way, I added this to the description late so if you haven't seen it, here is a google form where you can rate the power levels of the cards: https://forms.gle/DRjXCuHojrSBMMdE8
I would really appreciate it if anyone reading would like to fill it out, it helps me a lot!

The Alchemist

• Golem
  • Respect: +215
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2021, 03:43:54 pm »

Made a project to go along with this expansion, it's a bit of a joke card but it fits in here nicely.

Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 21 queries.