Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Distribution of Dominion card costs  (Read 3456 times)

The Alchemist

• Golem
  • Respect: +214
    • View Profile
Distribution of Dominion card costs
« on: December 19, 2020, 10:19:17 pm »
+3

Made a chart of all kingdom cards in dominion by cost. Split piles like knights were counted as individual cards, cards with variable costs are in the category corresponding to the default cost, and cards not in the supply like prizes and traveler updates, as well as ones with a potion or debt in their cost, were excluded.

Percentages:
0:    1.4%   
1:    0.3%   
2:   11.5%   
3:    16.8%   
4:    25.8%   
5:    37.0%   
6:    4.5%
7:    1.7%
8:    0.6%
9:   0.3%
10:   0.3%

Using this, for instance, you can see the probability of having a game with no 5-cost cards is roughly 0.98%, no 2-cost cards is 29.5%, etc.
Enjoy!

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
Re: Distribution of Dominion card costs
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2020, 07:08:15 pm »

Just out of curiosity, I calculated the average costs of Kingdom cards in each expansion, counting the same cards as The Alchemist: (Sorted in ascending order)
Alchemy: 3.5
Seaside: 3.73
Nocturne: 3.85
Guilds: 3.92
Adventures: 3.97
Base & Renaissance: 4
Intrigue: 4.04
Empires: 4.11
Hinterlands: 4.12
Cornucopia: 4.15
Menagerie: 4.23
Dark Ages: 4.25
Prosperity: 5.12

Unsurprisingly, Prosperity is the top-heaviest expansion cost-wise, by far. The gap between 1st and 2nd is smaller than the gap between 2nd and last. It's surprising that an expansion called Dark Ages would have the second highest average cost, though.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

D782802859

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +381
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2020, 07:35:37 pm »
+1

Of course, Alchemy having only 2 cards without Potion costs does throw off the numbers here.

Shvegait

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +93
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2020, 09:53:43 pm »
+2

It's surprising that an expansion called Dark Ages would have the second highest average cost, though.

The Dark Ages calculation is weird, with Knights counted as nine 5-costs and a 4-cost. But also, the five 0-cost Ruins are included.

Counting Knights as a single 5-cost pile and not counting ruins, the average for Dark Ages is 4.06, close to the center.

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2020, 06:09:48 pm »

It's surprising that an expansion called Dark Ages would have the second highest average cost, though.

The Dark Ages calculation is weird, with Knights counted as nine 5-costs and a 4-cost. But also, the five 0-cost Ruins are included.

Counting Knights as a single 5-cost pile and not counting ruins, the average for Dark Ages is 4.06, close to the center.

I somehow didn't realize that OP counted the Ruins (don't know why he did, he didn't count any other non-Kingdom cards), so I didn't count them in my averages calculation. The average for Dark Ages drops to 3.82 if you include the Ruins.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Sparafucile

• Thief
  • Respect: +153
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2020, 02:18:51 am »

I somehow didn't realize that OP counted the Ruins (don't know why he did, he didn't count any other non-Kingdom cards), so I didn't count them in my averages calculation. The average for Dark Ages drops to 3.82 if you include the Ruins.

Runes are in the supply though and purchasable. (Unlike madmen or spoils for e.g.)

chipperMDW

• Duke
  • Respect: +813
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2020, 11:58:17 am »

Runes are in the supply though and purchasable. (Unlike madmen or spoils for e.g.)

Well, Ruins are more comparable to Potion or Colony in that they're non-Kingdom cards that are added to the supply (where they are purchasable) under certain circumstances. You can include Copper in that list if you accept "always" as being the circumstance. You can verify by a glance at the chart that none of those three mentioned were included. So it's indeed odd that Ruins were.

Holger

• Minion
  • Respect: +458
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2020, 06:01:29 pm »

Just out of curiosity, I calculated the average costs of Kingdom cards in each expansion, counting the same cards as The Alchemist: (Sorted in ascending order)
Alchemy: 3.5
Seaside: 3.73
Nocturne: 3.85
Guilds: 3.92
Adventures: 3.97
Base & Renaissance: 4
Intrigue: 4.04
Empires: 4.11
Hinterlands: 4.12
Cornucopia: 4.15
Menagerie: 4.23
Dark Ages: 4.25
Prosperity: 5.12

Unsurprisingly, Prosperity is the top-heaviest expansion cost-wise, by far. The gap between 1st and 2nd is smaller than the gap between 2nd and last. It's surprising that an expansion called Dark Ages would have the second highest average cost, though.

Prosperity would drop slightly below 5.00 if you counted Peddler by a "fair" price of $4 instead of the nominal $8. Still by far the highest average cost, though.
Promos would be the second-most expensive "expansion" at an average of $4.6, thanks to Prince.

The Alchemist

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2020, 11:26:21 am »

Kingdom cards refers to any cards in the Supply other than the basic cards. I knew Plats, Colonies, and Colonies counted as special basic cards, but I was not aware Ruins were considered basic cards as well and so included them as kingdom cards. So that was a mistake on my part.

The Alchemist

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2020, 11:28:39 am »

Also, I included all the knights, and split pile cards individually in general, because split piles more often than not do not all have the same price. Even knights has one $4 card, so it didn't feel right to consider them all $5. And I definitely did not want to make the chart continuous by putting fractional pile costs.

sc0UT

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: sc0UT
  • Respect: +106
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2020, 05:31:43 pm »

You have to count every card individually or none. Doing this just for exclusive cards distorts the results and the statistics make no sense.

Count rats 20x as 4's, village 10x as 3's etc. - or take the arithmetic mean of castles, split piles, knights etc.

What about the cost on the randomizer card? Take that value instead ;)
« Last Edit: December 25, 2020, 05:45:44 pm by sc0UT »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2020, 08:02:23 pm »

I agree that counting Knights as 10 cards seems wrong. If Sir Martin cost $5, would you still have done it; or would you have just counted it as a single $5 cost card pile? I think it’s fine to consider Knights as a single $5 cost card; yes it’s weird with Martin but better than the alternative.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2020, 08:07:12 pm »

Kingdom cards refers to any cards in the Supply other than the basic cards. I knew Plats, Colonies, and Colonies counted as special basic cards, but I was not aware Ruins were considered basic cards as well and so included them as kingdom cards. So that was a mistake on my part.

I don’t remember if the rule book ever clearly defines Kingdom Card; but a simple definition is that it’s a pile you can freely choose to use in your game; something you choose 10 of for each game (11 if Young Witch).
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Carline

• Witch
  • Respect: +391
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2020, 08:47:48 pm »

I don’t remember if the rule book ever clearly defines Kingdom Card; but a simple definition is that it’s a pile you can freely choose to use in your game; something you choose 10 of for each game (11 if Young Witch).

From Dominion Wiki;

"The Kingdom comprises the cards in the Supply in a game of Dominion other than basic cards."

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2020, 10:04:48 pm »

From Dominion Wiki;

"The Kingdom comprises the cards in the Supply in a game of Dominion other than basic cards."

That definition sounds wrong to me. Though perhaps Ruins is the only card where it actually ends up being different than my definition (if you count Potion, Colony, and Platinum as basic cards).

From the same Wiki article though:

The set of Kingdom cards chosen in a particular game is often called the Kingdom. To date, there are 366 distinct Kingdom cards, 10 of which are ordinarily selected for each game

That sounds more like what I was thinking. Relatively sure that 366 number doesn’t include Ruins.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2020, 10:53:00 pm by GendoIkari »

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2020, 12:11:07 am »
+1

From Dominion Wiki;

That definition sounds wrong to me. Though perhaps Ruins is the only card where it actually ends up being different than my definition (if you count Potion, Colony, and Platinum as basic cards).

Ruins are also basic cards. (http://wiki.dominionstrategy.com/index.php/Ruins)
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2020, 12:28:09 am »

From Dominion Wiki;

Ruins are also basic cards. (http://wiki.dominionstrategy.com/index.php/Ruins)

I wouldn’t have thought of it that way, but it makes sense as much as Potions I suppose. So in that case both definitions amount to the same thing; just different ways of approaching it.

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 20 queries.