Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14  All

Author Topic: New Weekly Contest: Fan Card Mechanics  (Read 46372 times)

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1353
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
Re: New Weekly Contest: Fan Card Mechanics
« Reply #275 on: April 05, 2021, 12:39:53 pm »
+3

Leverage • $5 • Treasure
Cards cost $1 less this turn.

Gain a card costing up to $3. If it is a Victory card, -1 Buy.

Potentially sick gains, but at the cost of locking yourself out of buying things if you do it too hard or for green.

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1434
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: April 05, 2021, 01:46:28 pm »

Why would it make more sense for some Actions to take 2 to play but most to take 1? There's no precedent for that either. And anyway, why are you using precedent to justify what does or doesn't make sense on a competition that's literally about fan mechanics. There's no precedent for anything we do here, by definition. Being able to go negative on a resource is not so outlandish a concept that it doesn't appear in other games.
I totally disagree. None of the boardgame that I know does feature a negative counter of any resource except for VPs.
There is debt in quite some games, including Dominion, but debt is not negative money or coins.

I don't disagree that it is technically feasible. Of course it is. My argument is rather that the concept is counterintuitive and leads to avoidable rule issues, i.e. I don't see any benefits of the cards (all I see is that relative to "spend an Action", the card is better for BM) that is worth the extra fuss.

Action management is one of the core gameplay concepts of Dominion. If you mess (we don't talk about a fan card that comes with a new add-on-ish mechanic) with the basics, you should have a very good reason to do so.

DunnoItAll

• Thief
  • Respect: +127
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: April 05, 2021, 10:15:43 pm »
+3

A simple Workshop variant using -1 Action to allow you bump the gain into the much more lucrative $5 range. You have to actually have the Action to spare, though.

4-6-21: 9:18AM updated wording so you don't lose an Action if you gain up to $4.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 10:18:57 am by DunnoItAll »

fika monster

• Witch
  • 27 year old swedish guy. PFP by haps
  • Respect: +481
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: April 06, 2021, 04:48:18 am »

A simple Workshop variant using -1 Action to allow you bump the gain into the much more lucrative $5 range. You have to actually have the Action to spare, though.

This seems nice and simple. Seems super nice in Village heavy games where villages doesnt have much to do
Swedish guy, Furry hipster otter

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3224
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: April 06, 2021, 07:51:39 am »
+1

with the current wording, you cannot choose to gain a card costing up to 4$ if you have played a village before. Is that intended?

DunnoItAll

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: April 06, 2021, 10:15:19 am »

with the current wording, you cannot choose to gain a card costing up to 4$ if you have played a village before. Is that intended?

Ah, I thought of that, but then I thought, well up to $5 includes all the up to $4s so I'm good. Forgot that you'd then have to lose the action. Updated.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 10:19:22 am by DunnoItAll »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3224
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: April 06, 2021, 10:27:32 am »
+2

The new wording works, but it's somewhat lengthy. You could write it as "You may spend an Action, to gain a card costing up to $5. If you didn't, gain a card costing up to $4."

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1453
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: April 06, 2021, 04:17:13 pm »
+3

Quote from: Fishwife
FISHWIFE -- $3
ACTION

+1 Action
+$1
Choose one: +2 Buys or +$1.

Quote from: Townspeople
TOWNSPEOPLE -- $4
ACTION

+1 Card
+1 Action
Choose one: +1 Action; or +1 Card and -1 Buy.

Here is my submission for this one. One issue that came up in a lot of my ideas was that if they came up in a Kingdom with no villages/villagers (for the -Actions) or +Buys (for the -Buys), the card are hard to use (or even useless), but where there are a lot of those, the cards can become too powerful.

The solution I came up with is a split pile. The first card (Fishwife) is disappearing silver that will sell you 2 buys for $1. The second card (Townspeople) is a village which can turn into a Lab that eats a buy. In my version, you cannot have negative buys, so you can use multiple Townspeople as labs as long as you have at least one Fishwife (or other source of +Buys).

It gets tricky when you have a Townspeople (or more than one) in your hand buy no +Buys. Do you get the extra cards in hopes of getting the Buy back, risking losing your buying this turn? Or to you settle for the village and buy what you can? Even where +Buys are plentiful, I don't think the $4 for a probably-Lab would be too busted, since there are only 5 of them and you need to buy the 5 Fishwives before you can get to them.
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

The Alchemist

• Golem
  • Respect: +215
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: April 08, 2021, 08:00:51 am »
+2

12 hour warning!

mathdude

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +230
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: April 08, 2021, 11:59:47 am »

Here is my initial thoughts (though I'm quite sure I'll be changing it shortly):

As I worked through it, as expected, I've updated my submission.  See the next post.

Drawbridge
$6 Treasure

Choose one: +$1, +1 Buy, this turn cards (everywhere) cost $1 less but not less than $0; or -1 Buy, this turn cards everywhere cost $3 less but not less than 0.
(Your Buys can go negative)

The 1st part of the choice is a non-terminal Bridge (being a Treasure), so it has to cost more than $4.  But at $5, I felt that it was still too strong of a card to stack Bridge effects, even without looking at the 2nd choice.  At $6, it's less likely people will get too many of them into their deck, so they really have to work hard to stack these.

Then the 2nd option, initially was set to reduce card costs by $2 (for the cost of a Buy).  But stacking 2, or even 3 of them, I think I'd still want to choose the 1st option for every card played (unless you already had +Buys from other Action or Treasure cards you've played).  By bumping it up to $3 cost reduction, I think the 3rd that you play in your turn will generally make sense to take the 2nd option, and sometimes even earlier if you have other sources of +Buy.

On its own, both choices of this card are a Silver, which costs $6.  But it is the ability to stack with itself or with other sources of +Buy that can make this card very valuable.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 12:30:29 pm by mathdude »
he/him

mathdude

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: April 08, 2021, 12:25:39 pm »
+2

Updating my submission.  Requiring you to stack probably 3 cards that each cost $6 in a single turn (my earlier submission) just to activate the benefit (and use the -Buy mechanic) seemed too difficult and not worth it.

Here is my new split pile:

Bridgeman
$2 Action

+1 Action
+1 Buy
+$1
Drawbridge
$4 Treasure

-1 Buy
+$1
If you have at least 1 Buy remaining, then this turn, cards (everywhere) cost $2 less, but not less than $0.

The Bridgeman is a weaker version of Candlestick Maker, since it gives a coin instead of coffers.  But it enables the Drawbridge card.

For my new Drawbridge, I started it at $6, just like my previous submission (this gives 1 coin plus 2 cost reduction which is like a Gold, and stacking Bridge effects is powerful), but with the -1 Buy I realized that it's much weaker and could reduce it to $5.  A Gold (with a drawback... like a terminal Action, but here as -1 Buy) at $5 makes sense.  However, if Drawbridge is in hand with no source of +Buys (Bridgeman, or otherwise), it's actually a dead card.  It's worse than a Copper, since it gets rid of your only Buy.  So at $4, where it's sometimes a Gold and sometimes junk, I think works okay (especially hidden at the bottom of a split pile).  And pricing a card as low as possible without breaking the game is a good design strategy.

In Kingdoms with other sources of +Buys, Drawbridge will be heavily contested, and you want to win the split (and probably also win the split of Bridgeman cards too).  At this point, it's a fairly cheap card that will usually turn out to be a Gold (plus stack even better if you can hit multiples).  But if Bridgeman is the only source of +Buy, you will want to win the Bridgeman split.  But even so you will probably only buy 1 or 2 Drawbridges since it will still sometimes be a dead card in your hand - you want to make sure it lands with a Bridgeman every time you have a Drawbridge in hand.
he/him

The Alchemist

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: April 10, 2021, 08:38:29 am »
+2

Judgement:

Card: Textile Mill
Creator: Aquila
Mechanic: Exhaust state, -1 Action on the next immediate available +Action, even carrying over to future turns.
Judgement: I really like the card theme and name here, you have textillers working and you can overwork them for a bigger benefit, and I think overpay for villagers is a very good mechanic that I'm surprised never made it into the game (at least yet anyway). This is also one of those cards where having overpay for villagers really makes sense. The implementation of -1 Actions you've decided to go with, while very clever and mirroring exactly the implementation of -1 card tokens, is harsh enough where I don't see cards being able to use it without also including villagers, and that's pretty restrictive from a design standpoint. I believe almost all the cards in your expansion do in fact include a villager mechanic where exhaust is included, so at least that issue is addressed, but for this card, I don't think the benefit I'd get, 2 extra cards, would be worth risking a dead turn. I would only ever play the card if I could get rid of exhaust this turn, or had a villager on hand (limiting my plays of this card to often once or twice since $7 is usually how high I'd overpay), so that severely limits this card in a way a $5 smithy variant doesn't need to be limited. I however do like that the exhaust is optional, so maybe it's fine if the benefit is not *too* good, and maybe +3 cards instead is too strong, but that's where I'd put it. Regardless, very well designed card thematically and mechanically.

Card: Elves and Orcs
Creator: silverspawn
Mechanic: -1 Action, applied conditionally on presence of unused Actions.
Judgement: Elves and Orcs are a great theme, I love it. This would go great in some Fantasy-like expansion. I really like Orc, very simple and aesthetically pleasing use of -1 Action. It's basically a smithy that can only be used if you've already played a villager and even then is still terminal, and if you think you can't do that regularly, then it's junk, and you can spend your normal action in a turn getting rid of it. I like it a lot. Elven village on the other hand I'm less crazy about. The concept of a junker giving out orcs I think is okay, but the big problem is when you'd want to do that. When there's lots of terminal space on a kingdom and Orc's the only draw, its actually a pretty good draw as far as things go, and I'd want some for myself. On boards where there's no villages however, you know I'm going to be going for that junker. Elven village is a village, so it kinda forces the game into the "Orcs are good" state. Sure, if you win the Elven split, you're at an advantage, but you've also handed out a winning split of orcs too. If you've played a village, then playing an Orc is like playing two Moat variants, so a village that hands out 2 moats to your opponents, where they can spend an action to trash their extras, seems like one I would probably just skip all too often, until my opponents buys them and hands me free Orcs of course. In short: Orcs great, Elves not so much. A suggested change (though you might have to change the card's theme) would be to make Elven village a supervillage (+3 Actions) for $4 (okay since I think opponents gaining orcs is more often a drawback), and allowing you to optionally gain an Orc for yourself as well. Great card(s)!

Card: Legendary Hunter
Creator: mxdata
Mechanic: Spending unused Actions for an equal-amount benefit
Judgement: You submitted 3 cards here and I will taking my opinion of your best one as your submission. I do like how you've chosen to use spending Actions as the mechanic on all your cards, it does dodge the hairy question of negative Actions nicely. Spending Actions for Buys was pretty nice on your other cards, but I thought spending Actions for cost reduction on this card was very clever and something I myself would never have thought of. I really like it's uniqueness. It is a terminal draw, so the more of these you get, the more expensive they become as you'll have less and less spare +Actions. I like the theme pairing with Hunting Grounds as well. The only downside I see is it's cost. +5 cards would be balanced at $7 I believe, however I find that on most turns in most games you'll have maybe one or two spare Actions at the end of your turn, if that, so I think this card is usually more expensive than its worth. It would be better at $8 or even $7 honestly. Where this card really shines is when you would buy multiple of these, because then each spare Action you have is not just an effective $1, but $1 for each one you'd buy in an effect similar to bridge. However at this price, that would rarely happen. I think this effect belongs on a cheaper, less powerful card, and then it'd be really really good. A +3 Card +1 Buy variant I think would be perfect.

Card: Faustian Dealings
Creator: Xen3k
Mechanic: -1 Action and -1 Buys, applied conditionally on presence of unused Actions/Buys.
Judgement: Faustian dealings is a great name for a card, especially one that trades Actions and Buys. I am fond of Action-Treasures and I like how this spends Actions in the Action phase and Buys in the Buy phase. You need either 2 Actions or 2 Buys to get the benefit and I think that's really neat. The card wording could use quite a bit of cleaning up though. There's a lot of conditionals and is very wordy, with 3 different groups of effects in the Action phase. I think you'd be fine if you just moved the on-play abilities to the conditional benefit. Sure it makes a much riskier card, but that's fitting of the theme, and Action-Treasures are flexible enough to be able to take on the extra risk. I would suggest:
"If it is your Action phase and you have 1 or more Actions remaining: -1 Action, +2 Buys, +$2.
If it is your Buys phase and you have 2 or more Buys remaining: -1 Buy, +$3."

That reduces a lot of text and makes it significantly clearer what exactly the card is giving you. If the risk is still a problem, then you can include "If neither, +1 Buy, +$1" and I think the card would still be balanced. There's a lot of potential with this card and I think with some simplification this could be the best in the set!

Card: Leverage
Creator: spineflu
Mechanic: -1 Buy, allowing negative values not specified
Judgement: It's simple, I like that. Basically a non-terminal inventor, except with a -1 Buy drawback on Victories. Buys and cost reduction are a strong combo, so I can see why the antisynergy is there, to prevent bridge-like megaturns, but this card doesn't give you +1 Buys anyway, and so if there was +Buys on the board I would just ignore them, because an inventor megaturn is just as strong as a bridge one, and that one doesn't really care if you have Buys, the goal is to empty greens with the gain anyway. I want to like it but it's hard to see where it shines and where it duds. I think I'm missing something here. If I am not, then maybe I would consider dropping the Victory conditional and just make -1 Buy on all gains? And then maybe make the gain conditional so it's not too oppressive. It does seem to be a different card at that point, so I don't know what to think of this card, but that is the direction I'd take it. On a different note, leverage is a cute name for a -1 Buy card, though nothings really being borrowed/invested. The picture is just some guy though, is that Mr. Leverage?

Card: Craftsman
Creator: DunnoItAll
Mechanic: -1 Action on gain, so long as not already at 0 Actions
Judgement: First of all, definitely an easy text fix that doesn't change the card almost at all:
"Choose one: Gain a card costing up to $4; or, if you have 1 or more unused Actions, -1 Action and gain a card costing $5."
The only case that isn't preserved is when you want to play the card but don't want to gain at all, and you do happen to have 1 or more unused Actions and thus can't choose the second for nothing (which is what you'd get if you didn't meet the condition), but that's a rare enough situation to not really matter. Since this wording is similar to a previous version of this card you've posted already that I've seen, I will base my Judgement on this wording instead. Now to the card, gaining any card costing up to $5 is an effect reserved only to Artisan, Altar, and Vampire, and for good reason, it's a really strong effect that needs some drawback, even at $6 (though Artisan and Altar are only sometimes drawbacks), but I think this is the perfect compromise for a $5 gainer that costs $5. It is severely limited in how many of itself it can gain per turn, needing another village play every additional time you want to gain a $5. It also defaults to a $4 gainer, though it is very weak to other $5 cost $4 gainers in comparison. The only issue I have is that, without any villages, this can just never trigger its $5 gain effect, and that makes the card very weak, much weaker than Falconer or Sculptor, both of which can gain a $4 to your hand. It's basically a very expensive workshop on villageless boards. For that reason I think you should drop the condition in the second half, and simply have a line at the bottom reading "(You cannot go below 0 Actions.)". This way it doesn't need a village play to get its $5 effect, but still needs 2 village plays if you want to keep playing Actions afterwards. This way it's still a limited $5 gainer, being hard to play multiple a turn, but not so limited as to being hard to play at least one a turn. With that change, combined with the fact that I love the theme of the card with its thematic link to Artisan, I think this could be a real winner of a card.

Card: Fishwife and Townspeople
Creator: emtzalex
Mechanic: -1 Buy, Buys cannot go negative, specified externally. 
Judgement: Love how much this has going for it considering it only uses vanilla bonuses, love the simplicity! As for the cards themselves, it's tough. Fishwife is a good silver alt, and I like giving up a coin for +2 Buys. Fits in thematically with a fish seller too. The problem is I think it may be strictly better than silver, since it's as you say +1 +$2, but with the option to spend $1 for +2 Buys. The problem is an action version of silver and silver aren't strictly comparable, and the closest thing to this would be Patron, which this isn't strictly weaker than either, so tough to say. Maybe $3 is fine. For Townspeople however, a Lab or Village card is definitely strictly better than a lab, and I'm not sure if a -1 Buy is enough of a drawback to bring it down to $4. Especially since the way you have it, you can play as many of these as you want as labs, only lose one buy, then play a single fishwife for +2 Buys all back. You'd just never want to play fishwife, or any +buy, before your Townspeople, and that's fine, because Fishwife doesn't draw, you'd want to play it at the end of your turn anway, since you usually play all your draw first before your payload. You would therefore just always play townspeople as a lab, as the drawback is not really a drawback unless you get really unlucky and don't draw any fishwives, but that's a risk I'd almost always take for a cheap lab, unless a buy this turn was crucial. It either needs some condition not allowing it to be played without surplus buys, or some other combination of bonuses. With a condition, then I think it's pretty balanced, you'd be forced to have to play fishwives beforehand, and every one you play lets you lab twice, so 3 cards for double lab at $11 combined, that I think is pretty good. Thematically I can see it being called Townspeople from the village aspect, but since it's a split pile, I'd have liked it if the second card fit with the first, but I can understand the difficulty in that since Fisherman and Fishing village are already taken. Maybe change one card to Fishmarket and another to Fishwife? Makes sense because one buys and one sells, in a way.
Suggested wording for Townspeople: "+1 Card, +1 Action, Choose one: +1 Action; or, if you have 1 or Buys, +1 Card and -1 Buy". That at least lets you still risk having 0 Buys for that one last Townspeople play, and I kind of like that risky choice available.
Also minor change but for clarity I would suggest this wording for Fishwife: "+1 Action, Choose one: +$2; or +$1 and +2 Buys"

Card: Bridgeman and Drawbridge
Creator: mathdude
Mechanic: -1 Buy, Buys can go negative, specified on a previous version of the card.
Judgement: Looks good, I especially like the theme with bridge, and how you need to play a bridgeman to get the full effect of the drawbridge, nice design thematically. Would be nice if you included pictures however, I'm sure it'd look great! As for the card, I like that it's a split, with the first giving Buys and the second taking them, similar to the previous entry. This is also a safer version, since the taker is a Treasure you can always know how many Buys you have before deciding to play it. I don't like how Bridgeman is strictly worse than Candlestick maker, I think it could have given +2 Buys and still costed $2, but then drawbridge would need to be weaker as it would be too easy to fit the condition, but that would have been my next feedback anyway. I think I would have prefered it reduce cost by 1 instead of 2, since the only time you'd want to play Drawbridge is if you had 2 or more buys anyway (since you'd never sacrifice your only buy for an effective 3 coins). In fact, it would make more sense to just put "If you have at least 2 Buys remaining: " at the start of the card, that way you dont need a new line specifying whether or not buys can go negative, and the card effectively does the exact same thing, since no one would every want to play the original card at 1 buy anyway for 1 coin if they can't buy anything afterwards. Either way, reduce by 2 is significantly better than 2 reduce by ones, since its half the card space, it would be like putting a +1 card on bridge. Moreso, it'd be like making bridge cantrip, cause they're not terminal by being treasures. So Drawbridge is basically a Highway and Bridge, but with +1 Action -1 Buy instead of +1 Buy, which I want to say makes it (almost) strictly better than bridge at $4. Better to just make this weaker by reducing cost by 1 (It would still be comparable to bridge, trading +1 Action for -2 Buys), and slightly buffing Bridgeman in response. That would also make losing the Drawbridge split a lot less oppressive, since presumable there are only 5 in the pile. Other than that, I really like the interplay between these cards and the theme you chose, good work.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 02:55:25 pm by The Alchemist »

The Alchemist

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: April 11, 2021, 02:57:50 pm »
+3

Results!

Very well designed cards everyone! There's not a single card I would describe as lackluster, and with a few minor tweaks I think any of these cards could have been in the number one spot! Very close call, congratulations all! This judgement was so delayed because I had to just spend a whole day thinking about the cards and seeing how they looked on second sight, and then another day for the feedback they all deserved. This is a very tough choice to make but I think I have to go with:

Honorable mentions: Orcs/Elven Village, Faustian Dealings
Runner up: Fishwife/Townspeople
Winner: Craftsman

Congratulations to user DunnoItAll! Seems you do know something after all!

(Posted is an updated wording done with the card creator's feedback and permission)

« Last Edit: May 23, 2021, 02:57:04 pm by The Alchemist »

DunnoItAll

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: April 11, 2021, 08:31:53 pm »
+3

Results!

Very well designed cards everyone! There's not a single card I would describe as lackluster, and with a few minor tweaks I think any of these cards could have been in the number one spot! Very close call, congratulations all! This judgement was so delayed because I had to just spend a whole day thinking about the cards and seeing how they looked on second sight, and then another day for the feedback they all deserved. This is a very tough choice to make but I think I have to go with:

Honorable mentions: Orcs/Elven Village, Faustian Dealings
Runner up: Fishwife/Townspeople
Winner: Craftsman

Congratulations to user DunnoItAll! Seems you do know something after all!

Wow. That was unexpected. Thanks!

I suppose the way it works is I run the next contest? If so, I will have details tomorrow.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1353
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #289 on: April 12, 2021, 07:16:32 am »

Card: Leverage
The picture is just some guy though, is that Mr. Leverage?

uh basically yes, that's Machiavelli, he pretty much codified Leverage as a nameable concept back in the 16th century. wikipedia link

DunnoItAll

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: April 12, 2021, 09:56:13 am »
+2

Fan Card Mechanic Contest #7: Next of Kin.

"Kin" is a new card type from the Dynasties expansion by Aquila. Kin cards have a turqoise coloring. When a card with the Kin type is selected to be in a kingdom, two other (non-Victory) kingdom cards that were selected to be in the kingdom are randomly chosen to have the "Kin marker" placed under them. These cards are now "Kin" cards also.

The original Kin card can interact with these new cards in whatever way you choose (via being referred to as "Kin" cards in the card text).

Here are some implementations of the concept as examples (by Aquila):

Banner - Victory Kin, $5 cost.
Worth 1VP per 3 Kins in your deck (round down)

Festival Grounds - Action Kin, $2 cost.
+2 Actions
+1 Buy

-
In games using this, when you gain a 3rd differently named Kin on your turn, you may gain a Chief.

I will include Aquila's final note on his mechanic here, too:

Nothing stops you from playing with 3 or more of the original Kin cards, just too many can lead to analysis paralysis and too much going on. Having 2 opens up a fun interaction between them, just enough, or one can be influential on its own. I've tried to cover a wide variety of different relationships with them; one thing that's somewhat missing is one that completely supports other Kins. I'm working on it. At the least I hope I've got across the feel for compelling diversity and replayability I get with the Kin mechanic.

If you use the generator and want to use a standard color that is close to the Turqoise Aquila used, I suggest these:
R: 0.2, G: 1.1, B: 1.0

or something like RGB: 0, 240, 235 in a normal graphics program.

This will probably be impossible, but I plan to playtest each entry in at least part of an actual game in Tabletop Simulator. A complete game for each would almost definitely be out of the question, but at least throwing a few turns around should be possible. I plan to ask for feedback from several others and incorporate their thoughts and opinions into my judging process due to my inexperience in judging cards, but I promise I will do my best.

I will close submissions at noon (my time, central US) on the next Sunday of your life. Judging will then be as soon as possible.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 01:46:32 pm by DunnoItAll »

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1453
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: April 12, 2021, 01:21:23 pm »

"Kin" is a new card type from the Dynasties expansion by Aquila. Kin cards have a turqoise coloring.

Would you like to standardize the custom color for Kin cards? When mathdude hosted a contest using Dawn cards, he gave us the RGB values for the card, so they could all look the same. I realize this is not exactly the same situation, as Aquila created the cards initially.
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

DunnoItAll

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: April 12, 2021, 01:40:51 pm »

"Kin" is a new card type from the Dynasties expansion by Aquila. Kin cards have a turqoise coloring.

Would you like to standardize the custom color for Kin cards? When mathdude hosted a contest using Dawn cards, he gave us the RGB values for the card, so they could all look the same. I realize this is not exactly the same situation, as Aquila created the cards initially.

That's a good idea.  I have added it to the original post.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 01:44:31 pm by DunnoItAll »

mathdude

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: April 12, 2021, 02:28:15 pm »
+2

Let's start with a cheap one.

Quote from: Collector
+1 Action
While this is in play, when you play a Kin card, choose one of the following that you have not chosen this turn: +1 Card; +1 Action; +1 Buy; +$1; gain a Silver; gain a Horse; trash a card from your hand.

On its own, it does nothing (unless you play 2 of them together, but even so, the 1st is useless and the 2nd is still very weak).  Its benefit is when you've already got a few of the other Kin cards in your deck - it's a way to enhance them.  Imagine playing 2 Collection cards, then 2 or 3 other Kin cards - huge benefits!  It only costs $2 because you wouldn't open with it anyway and it's not overly advantageous to have too many of them - could it even cost $1?

I considered removing the "that you have not chosen this turn", I would probably raise it to $3 or even $4, since you could target one of the benefits to be received repeatedly (e.g. if Village was a Kin, you add +1 Card to each, but if Smithy is a Kin, you add +1 Action to each), though that seems too powerful but also too situational.  But keeping it the way it is limits its effect in a fair and somewhat balanced way, I believe.
he/him

johntgrizzz

• Pawn
  • Shuffle iT Username: johntgrizzz
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: April 12, 2021, 03:38:21 pm »
+1

Fratricide
$4 Action - Kin
+1 Action
+1 VP
Trash a card from your hand. If the trashed card is Kin, +3 VP.

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1351
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: April 12, 2021, 07:02:14 pm »

"Kin" is a new card type from the Dynasties expansion by Aquila. Kin cards have a turqoise coloring. When a card with the Kin type is selected to be in a kingdom, two other (non-Victory) kingdom cards that were selected to be in the kingdom are randomly chosen to have the "Kin marker" placed under them. These cards are now "Kin" cards also.

The original Kin card can interact with these new cards in whatever way you choose (via being referred to as "Kin" cards in the card text).

+2 Actions
+1 Buy

-
In games using this, when you gain a 3rd differently named Kin on your turn, you may gain a Chief.

Nothing stops you from playing with 3 or more of the original Kin cards, just too many can lead to analysis paralysis and too much going on. Having 2 opens up a fun interaction between them, just enough, or one can be influential on its own. I've tried to cover a wide variety of different relationships with them; one thing that's somewhat missing is one that completely supports other Kins. I'm working on it. At the least I hope I've got across the feel for compelling diversity and replayability I get with the Kin mechanic.

If you use the generator and want to use a standard color that is close to the Turqoise Aquila used, I suggest these:

This will probably be impossible, but I plan to playtest each entry in at least part of an actual game in Tabletop Simulator. A complete game for each would almost definitely be out of the question, but at least throwing a few turns around should be possible. I plan to ask for feedback from several others and incorporate their thoughts and opinions into my judging process due to my inexperience in judging cards, but I promise I will do my best.

I will close submissions at noon (my time, central US) on the next Sunday of your life. Judging will then be as soon as possible.

To clarify: there are no restrictions on which cards can receive the Kin marker, except that they cannot be Victory cards?  E.g., they could be Night or Treasure cards?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 07:03:29 pm by mxdata »
They/them

DunnoItAll

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: April 12, 2021, 07:12:15 pm »
+1

+2 Actions
+1 Buy

-

To clarify: there are no restrictions on which cards can receive the Kin marker, except that they cannot be Victory cards?  E.g., they could be Night or Treasure cards?

Correct (I never saw anything that restricts anything but Victory and Kin, so that's what I'm going with).

Timinou

• Witch
  • Respect: +634
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: April 12, 2021, 11:25:47 pm »
+2

Quote from: Sepulchre
$4 - Action - Kin
+1VP
At the start of Clean-up, you may trash a Kin you would discard from play this turn to gain +1VP per $2 it costs (round down).
-

This is a Bishop variant that only works with Kin cards (including itself) but lets you play the card that you would trash.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 10:55:18 am by Timinou »

Timinou

• Witch
  • Respect: +634
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: April 12, 2021, 11:51:18 pm »
+1

Let's start with a cheap one.

Quote from: Collector
+1 Action
While this is in play, when you play a Kin card, choose one of the following that you have not chosen this turn: +1 Card; +1 Action; +1 Buy; +$1; gain a Silver; gain a Horse; trash a card from your hand.

On its own, it does nothing (unless you play 2 of them together, but even so, the 1st is useless and the 2nd is still very weak).  Its benefit is when you've already got a few of the other Kin cards in your deck - it's a way to enhance them.  Imagine playing 2 Collection cards, then 2 or 3 other Kin cards - huge benefits!  It only costs $2 because you wouldn't open with it anyway and it's not overly advantageous to have too many of them - could it even cost $1?

I considered removing the "that you have not chosen this turn", I would probably raise it to $3 or even $4, since you could target one of the benefits to be received repeatedly (e.g. if Village was a Kin, you add +1 Card to each, but if Smithy is a Kin, you add +1 Action to each), though that seems too powerful but also too situational.  But keeping it the way it is limits its effect in a fair and somewhat balanced way, I believe.

I think it would be better at $2 if the first play also gave you a benefit.  So instead of wording it as “While this in play...”, it could say “For each Kin that you have in play....”.  This way, it would be better than a Ruined Village if you can’t get another Kin in play.

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1351
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: April 12, 2021, 11:58:42 pm »
+2

Family Reunion
Action - Reaction - Kin
$6
+1 Action
Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal 2 Kin cards. Discard the rest, then put those cards into your hand.
-
When you gain a Kin card, you may reveal this from your hand to put that card onto your deck.
A lab variant which digs specifically for Kin cards, it also has a Reaction that allows you to immediately top-deck any gained Kin cards, which works quite nicely with it's on-play ability too, if gained during your Action phase.  I debated making it a Golem variant, but the problem with that is that there's no guarantee that it would reveal Action cards.  The Kin marker can't go on Victory cards, but there can be Kin - Victory cards, like Banner in the OP, and what would it mean to "play" a Victory card?  Plus, the Kin marker can go on Night cards, and some Night cards wouldn't be very useful if played during your Action phase.  So, simply putting them in your hand solves all those issues.  This meant that it had to be non-terminal, otherwise any Action cards it drew (and the Kin marker is usually going to be on Action cards, plus I suspect most inherently Kin cards are going to be Actions) would be useless.  This way you can play at least one of the cards it draws
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 02:26:00 am by mxdata »
They/them
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14  All

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 21 queries.