Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14  All

Author Topic: New Weekly Contest: Fan Card Mechanics  (Read 45827 times)

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
Re: New Weekly Contest: Fan Card Mechanics
« Reply #200 on: March 13, 2021, 09:14:09 am »
+3

Toymaker
Action - $5
Gain a card costing up to $4. You may pay a Trade token to put it in your hand and get +1 Action. If you didn't, take a Trade token.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 09:32:42 pm by NoMoreFun »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: March 13, 2021, 09:14:44 am »

ok but like. picture a kc-cartel game. whoever lines theirs up better wins, the end. you take a complex game and reduce it to shuffle luck. Or in games with no gainers, no +buy - three piling might not be on the table, at which point it's whoever can luck into an early $5 wins.

I agree, but how is that different from KC+Wharf? Or even different from a Cartel that ends the game with +20VP? If the support is too strong, it dominates the board and the strategic considerations become trivial.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #202 on: March 13, 2021, 10:01:59 am »

ok but like. picture a kc-cartel game. whoever lines theirs up better wins, the end. you take a complex game and reduce it to shuffle luck. Or in games with no gainers, no +buy - three piling might not be on the table, at which point it's whoever can luck into an early $5 wins.

I agree, but how is that different from KC+Wharf? Or even different from a Cartel that ends the game with +20VP? If the support is too strong, it dominates the board and the strategic considerations become trivial.
Because the lucky KC-wharf player can still blow their opportunity. Or maybe they lucked into it at the wrong time and don't have their economy up to fully utilize their bounty of cards/buys. Because what the other player does still matters, because there isn't some card saying "i win".
that doesnt address the early $5/no +buy scenario.
and who's saying 20vp?
like you're just putting words in my mouth now.
Your card needs tweaking because as is you're turning multiplayer solitaire into regular solitaire.

I think it's better to have boards where Cartel is clearly the wrong option (via not giving enough victory points, such as in a colony game) than boards where it's the only option, and once you fall behind in the Cartel-trade-token race, you're SOL
« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 11:07:46 am by spineflu »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: March 13, 2021, 12:07:01 pm »

Well, you have to differentiate (a) probability of winning, and (b) opportunity to influence the outcome with skill. If we're just talking about the probability of winning, I'm pretty sure that Cartel has less of a first-player-who-gets-it advantage than many other 5$'s like Sentry. Since Trade tokens don't help your deck, there is no snowball effect, which means playing the card once before your opponent gets it gives you a +1 head start on your opponent, but that's it. Since there is further luck that determines how often you draw your Cartels and how they collide, this shouldn't change your probability of getting to 15 first all that much. On the other hand, if you play Sentry before your opponent, you get to play Sentry again quicker and so on.

But the first play not being decisive isn't that big of a consolation if it comes down to luck anyway, so I think your critique does make sense if you phrase it in terms of how much opportunity you have to influence the result with better decisions.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: March 13, 2021, 12:21:40 pm »

Since Trade tokens don't help your deck,

a resource that's useable by other cards, and gainable by other cards, 🤔

like i don't disagree if Cartel was the only one that used them, but uh a whole lot of stuff in this thread alone uses them, in ways that improve your deck, in ways that make them easier to gain than one per turn.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: March 13, 2021, 12:30:39 pm »

Sure, but you're far more likely to have a game without other cards using Trade tokens than you are to have a game with such cards, at least if you play full random. Just as you're more likely to have a game without KC than one with KC. I generally don't tend to think too much about how cards interact with other cards from the same expansion, although I know some people do.

Nobody

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +16
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: March 14, 2021, 12:23:32 pm »
+4

25 hours warning
Submissions are so far:
Trade Cutter(Xen3k)
Depot(Spineflu)
Speculator(emtzalex)
Storehouse(MrHiTech)
Yeoman(Aquila)
Foreign Trader/Goods(Something_Smart)
Muster(Timinou)
Bargaining Chip/Leverage(DunnoItAll)
Grand Ship(X-tra)
Governance(fika monster)
Cairn(LibraryAdventurer)
Cartel(silverspawn)
Toymaker(NoMoreFun)

Tell me, when I oversaw something.
If you want to change your entry, please do it in the original post, to make sure, that I´ll see it.

Nobody

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: March 15, 2021, 02:26:13 pm »
+2

Submissions closed.
Judgement will come tomorrow.

Nobody

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: March 17, 2021, 11:59:10 am »
+4

Judgement

Xen3k´s Trade Cutter
A well balanced card, but nothing too interesting. You can do more with the mechanic.

spineflu´s Depot
This is extremely cool. With the trigger, I can imagine, that you can pull off some neat tricks. But even, if it would´nt had this cool trigger, it would be a fun card.

emtzalex´ Speculator
Very interesting card, even without the Trade tokens(which make the card even more interesting). However, this looks broken, especially when you draw more than 6 non-Treasure cards in your turn. More than +$6 is just too much.

MrHiTech´s Storehouse
A very interesting cellar variant. I think it´ll create some fun moments, when you have to guess, how many cards you have to draw, to get the needed. Also, its very nice for advanced players, since you have to know your deck well and have to think about stuff like triggering shuffles. I like it.

Aquila´s Yeoman
I like the mini  game, it really creates some tension. However this looks overpowered to me. if you don´t buy any, for the other player, this is as strong as  provinces, so you´re almost forced to gain this.

Something_Smart´s Foreign Trader/Goods
Really cool idea, which creates interesting choices. What is more important? That the other player can´t use the current Good? Or that I get the needed card? Should I use the Trade tokens now? Or do I hope, that I can reveal "Tea"? Unfortunately, I think the Goods are´nt well balanced.

Timinou´s Muster
Wow, this looks fun. So every player can setup a huge turn twice in the game. It´s a really cool idea and I think, it works out as intended.

DunnoItAll´s Bargaining Chip/Leverage
I really like the idea of a Heirloom, that gives Trade tokens. I´m also pretty glad, that you removed the Cantrip version. My only problem with this card is, the trigger of the Heirloom. No other Heirloom card refers to its kingdom card. That is´nt a real problem, but it just feels weird. I think, it´s just not fun, when you´re forced to buy an explicit card, to use a Heirloom.

X-tra´s Grand Ship
I like it. Compared to Royal carriage however, this seems to be too strong. I think, it will be really fun to replay an Action card 8 times, but its just too strong and too easy achieved. Yes, it has to collide with the right card, but that´s not enough compensation.

fika monster´s Governance
Hey, that´s a cool idea. The idea, that you can green earlier, to play Action cards twice is neat. However, I don´t think, you will gain 2 Estates, to replay an Action card. Maybe it would help, if you´d start with one Trade token already. Okay, this already has an use in the end, but that´s not half as interesting as in the beginning.

LibraryAdventurer´s Cairn
Okay, so this something between Cellar and Moat and VPs. I think the card is fine, but does´nt uses the Trade tokens in a too interesting way.

silverspawn´s Cartell
So this is one of these "You win" cards. I like new win-conditions, but a simple "You win" is hard to implement. There are lots of ways to do it and this looks like one of the cleverer ones. I do´nt think, this is well balanced, but it just influences the game in a boring way. When you go for Cartell, you do´nt have any interesting choices, but just play Cartell as often as possible.

NoMoreFun´s Toymaker
Another Workshop variant and also a cool one. Tis is a really interesting card, but unfortunately I do´nt see any reason, why you used Trade tokens and not the normal Journey token.

Third Runner up: MrHiTech´s Storehouse

Second runner up: Something_Smart´s Foreign Trader/Goods

First runner up: Timinou´s Muster

And the Winner is: SPINEFLU`S DEPOT

Hope, you enjoyed it.

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: March 17, 2021, 01:26:50 pm »
+1

Thanks for judging this one, Nobody. These Trade tokens are so versatile, they got me thinking about how they might interact with some of the other fan mechanics we've done contest with:

Worshippers

Conditions:

With Dawn cards, my first inclination was to do another variation on Muster, a Dawn-Action that only draws Action cards and doesn't give +Actions, meaning it either has to be played as a Dawn or with a villager, or else the Action cards are drawn dead. With the Trade tokens you can have a third option, a one-shot where you can also get +Actions.

But I actually came up with something I find more interesting:

This is a terminal draw card, but one where getting it non-terminally as a Dawn might actually be a disadvantage, since you might hesitate to use the discard-for-gain. Here, the trade token's one-shot might more like be used during the Dawn phase, you can keep all your cards and have a full turn.

I then went back and made some other cross-mechanic cards:

Worshippers + Conditions

(I think this is way underpriced)

Worshippers + Dawn

Conditions + Dawn

All 4 crammed in to one card:

This lead me to another idea I had, which I am going to float out there. Every 6th-11th round (or so), we could do a Season Finale, and have each of the submissions include at least 2 of the mechanics previously used over that "Season" (e.g. the 5-10 contests since the last Season Finale). This would have to be at the discretion of each contest winner from the later part of each season, but it might be a fun thing, and potentially be another option for people who don't know what fan mechanic they want to use.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 01:28:23 pm by emtzalex »
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: March 17, 2021, 01:29:16 pm »
+1

Whoa, awesome, ty Nobody.

I'm of two minds about which mechanic I want to judge on - either
Wonders, a landscape card that can give big rewards, which we'll have to have some deliberation on ground rules for use, since it's been implemented a couple different ways
OR
Route tokens, a coin token+mat mechanic that wouldn't require deliberation

So sound off on which you want to design for, and we'll go based on majority vote on Friday around noon EDT. If you opt for Wonder, toss in what you think the ground rules should be.

BBobb

• Moneylender
  • My brother says thief is amazing.
  • Respect: +138
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: March 17, 2021, 01:50:58 pm »
+1

Whoa, awesome, ty Nobody.

I'm of two minds about which mechanic I want to judge on - either
Wonders, a landscape card that can give big rewards, which we'll have to have some deliberation on ground rules for use, since it's been implemented a couple different ways
OR
Route tokens, a coin token+mat mechanic that wouldn't require deliberation

So sound off on which you want to design for, and we'll go based on majority vote on Friday around noon EDT. If you opt for Wonder, toss in what you think the ground rules should be.
I'd love to see Wonder cards, like the ones the X-tra had.

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #212 on: March 17, 2021, 02:41:26 pm »
+1

Wonders were just an adaptation of an idea that didn't originate as mine, and I sketched that one up very quickly without much thinking. I'd drop the "Builder" extra resource entirely, it's just too tedious to have extra Potion-like components (Potions rank consistently as the most disliked mechanic out of Dominion). Then there's the whole idea of, Wonders have different number of build steps in 2-3 player games as opposed to 4+ player games. Each step has a different cost, meaning there can be some feelsbad player advantage.

All in all, not too sure about this one anymore.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 02:42:28 pm by X-tra »
Bottom text

mathdude

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +230
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: March 17, 2021, 04:14:43 pm »
+2

I see the Route tokens as having a lot of similarities to Trade tokens (potentially). I think the Wonder would be fun to work with.

As for ground rules? It doesn't likely have to interact with a specific card so designing a card doesn't make sense. I think the contest has to be designing the Wonder. I assume it would be a Mat, though maybe it could be a landscape card (or even a regular card?) Design how it is built (communal or individual, keep the "spend a buy and put some of your remaining coins towards it" or change to something else) and how that building is tracked (set aside cards from your hand if that's how you build it, or put tokens on a personal Wonder or colored cubes on a communal Wonder). What is its cost? What benefit does it offer (and how? like if it's a regular card, it could go in your deck... otherwise it could be like a Landmark or Project)? Are 2nd, 3rd place etc. allowed or if not, what compensation do they get for their contributions?

And obviously design has to account for options to play with 2-6 players, as well as not being a distraction from the game (should enhance, not be a minigame), yet also allow the option for not going for a Wonder as a viable strategy.
he/him

fika monster

• Witch
  • 27 year old swedish guy. PFP by haps
  • Respect: +459
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: March 18, 2021, 07:37:02 am »
+2

voting wonder
Swedish guy, Furry hipster otter

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: March 19, 2021, 01:31:14 pm »
+1

ok, Wonders it is.

This Life Makes Me Wonder
Wonders are a landscape card that all players buy in several chunks over the course of the game.
The person who buys the most chunks gets a big bonus, and there can also be a small bonus for completing a chunk.
The cost for a step, and whether it requires a special card to be able to build is up to you.
Here's some instances/attempts at Wonders from X-tra and myself:

I know if I were redesigning mine today, the build card criteria would just be "you need to have silver in play". You're using silver anyway, it takes the wonder out of the opening calculus, no kvetching about opportunity cost, really just simplifies everything.

Some design decisions/criteria for you:
• It may make more sense to do a "2 player" version and a "3+ player" version (or doing a front/back card some other way - 2-3 player/ 4+, etc)
• It may drastically simplify things if every build step costs the same; however you could also do something where the build steps cost different amounts, to bake in strategy or something
• You may want to just have it cost a buy and some money; that's fine, but may give first player advantage. You may want to require it to cost a certain type of card; again, that's up to you - I know some people hate that potion cards have an opportunity cost, i really don't mind, but I'd lean towards doing this Young Witch style (add a card costing between X and Y; that's the "build card" this game) rather than a new flavor of Treasure That Does Nothing But This.
• You may want to have it be sort of a limited Artifact, where the player with the most built steps gets an ongoing bonus (and then eventually the steps run out.)
• You're still playing dominion, and not going for the wonder should probably be competitive with going for the wonder. A "you win the game" wonder will not win this contest.
• Try to keep it under 4 lines. This will be tough - there's a lot that needs to go on the card.

And then some format provisos:
• you don't have to bust out photoshop to do this; just say how many steps / cost per step (or cost for a given step, if you're doing unique costs), whether and how it changes with player scaling, and then use the card generator to mock up the actual effect text (or don't and i'll do that later when checking text length, that's fine).
• I think I just used the "Treasure" color with the landscape option on the card generator. You're welcome to do whatever.
• If you'd rather implement the steps using some sort of tokens-on-the-wonder to start, people take tokens when they build and put them on a mat (or similar), that's probably a good way to do it.

Judging will be next week Saturday (Mar 27); Contest will close around dinner time Friday (Mar 26). Let me know if you have further questions.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 04:55:25 pm by spineflu »

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: March 20, 2021, 06:56:27 pm »
+5

Some theory-crafting:

What does the mechanic add to Dominion?
Player interaction where an opponent's decisions can affect your priorities each turn. Sacrifice is made to deck building in order to invest in future prospects, which may or may not be successful. The ultimate reward is something one can shape their strategy around, yet being prepared to give up on it and pivot into different play is sensible.

So, I don't think a specific Builder card is a good idea. It's inflexible, and when a player buys one, they are laying their intention bare and others can easily adapt. This adaptation could be mirror play or ignoring the Wonder to slow the completion down for that player.
Sometimes this can happen with a Build pile as well, if the selected pile is bad in the kingdom.

Implications of different rewards:
VP would be competitive, but make players feel obliged to participate.
A passive effect like a Project would need to be worthwhile late game, otherwise a single buyer (others ignoring to slow completion down) may himself give up investing.
A straight up bonus like Coffers sets up a mega turn or turns.
A nice reward given for simply building a step could see it used like an Event, and the big prize an incidental; on the other hand, competition can be increased to deny them to opponents. A weak step building reward is more about investing in the big prize, and second/third etc. place prizes are suggested as well.

How many steps?
More tiers implies later game, but also more catch-up potential (and this would suggest cheapness and no Buy required). Fewer implies first buyer advantage more, and if one can't reasonably overtake the ignore scenario arises again.
An odd number establishes a definite winner in 2-player, whilst even makes ties possible and presumably both get the big prize. The choice depends on audience I guess, I might be more inclined to an even number since losing despite hard effort due to seating order or shuffle luck can feel bad.

What build price?
Paying $ can work, though rules about whether it would be a Buy and if more than one step could be built per turn need to be addressed.
A specified card to discard (at the Buy phase) could be a good way to let multiple steps be built at once, with multiple copies discarded, letting catch-ups happen. Silver is a good card for this, since it doesn't give anything definite away, it's still useful so one can pivot out of building steps easier, losing $2 to spend for the turn is a distinct cost, and building can usually start from the first shuffle so plenty of time is given for the big prize to count.

And so, my entry is:
Grand Library - Wonder
4 steps per player

Build: discard a Silver for one step or a Gold for two; you may trash the Treasure for double the number.
Completion: biggest contributors move 2 of their +bonus tokens onto an Action Supply pile, second biggest 1.

This building method is competitive yet not overly intrusive on strategy. The reward is about Actions, so the Silvers and Golds will probably get in the way. '+bonus tokens' are the +1 Card, +1 Action, +1 Buy and + $1 tokens from Adventures, massively condensed down to fit on the card. I'm trusting the audience will be purely Dominion fans who'll understand this.

My initial thoughts, not necessarily my final.

Timinou

• Witch
  • Respect: +634
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: March 20, 2021, 08:33:12 pm »
+1

Do Wonders have to be communal or can they be individual? The communal Wonders are more interactive but perhaps turn order can become an issue. 

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: March 20, 2021, 10:47:45 pm »
+1

Do Wonders have to be communal or can they be individual? The communal Wonders are more interactive but perhaps turn order can become an issue.
either is fine, design what you think it should be; it's a pretty amorphous concept (a big project you buy in multiple parts). I'll assume a wonder is communal so please specify if its individual.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2021, 05:35:00 pm by spineflu »

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: March 20, 2021, 11:47:32 pm »
+1

Here is what I came up with. First, in terms of the requirement to buy a step, I do think there should be some kind of prerequisite for building a step of a Wonder. That being said, I think the requirement should be relatively minor, and the cards should not be otherwise useless in most decks. To that end, I came up with two Base cards to be added whenever there is a Wonder:

Marble -- $4
$2
You may buy a Wonder step.

I toyed with having a second card to let you build a step (a $2 Action that was a cantrip or +Action +Buy, called builder), but that seemed needlessly complicated. A silver that costs one more coin won't radically alter how most games are played, but still adds a barrier and makes buying Wonders a bigger deal.

As for the Wonder I designed, it basically functions as an Alt-VP pile, with a reward for the player(s) who get(s) the most of them. The earlier you buy it the more expensive it is, but the ultimate reward is especially valuable with the cards you gain. Here is the Wonder:

Up to 2 players:

3+ Players:

Step: Gain a Gardens Tier
Completion: If you're a main contributor, at the start of your turn, you may Exile a Victory card from hand to gain an Action card to your hand costing up to $1 more.

And here is Gardens Tier, the card you gain:

Gardens Tier -- $4*
Worth 2VP per 16 cards you have (rounded down).
(This is not in the Supply.)

The Victory card is a variation on Gardens. The completion reward is helpful to a Gardens deck, Exiling Victory cards and gaining Action cards, helping to increase the overall size of the deck.
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

Shael

• Bishop
  • Respect: +56
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: March 21, 2021, 12:05:35 pm »
+1

This is my participation to the challenge :
(I've never post any image here so I hope it will work...)

Of what I saw, there isn't any special rules with the wonders but I've create my wonders with a common rule: The Wonders are available only once the first Victory card is gained.(I bold it because it's important in therm of balance and some people miss it)
Colossus
Each step cost 4 coins.
The wonder is complete when all step are build. One step per player have to be build in order to achieve the completion (4 step at 4 player, 6 steps at 6 players ect...). You can buy any number of steps during the game until the wonder is constructed.
Once the wonder is complete, the players who have the less number of step discard down to two cards and each player gain an Attack card or a Duchy from the supply for each steps they have built.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 02:37:48 am by Shael »
¤ Post here your favorite fan-cards ¤ The Archive ¤ Witchcraft, a Potion & Exile themed Expansion ¤ Not so Soon ¤                                          

Timinou

• Witch
  • Respect: +634
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: March 21, 2021, 01:59:05 pm »

Of what I saw, there isn't any special rules with the wonders but I've create my wonders with a common rule: The Wonders are available only once the first Victory card is gained.
Colossus
Each step cost 4 coins.
The wonder is complete when all step are build. One step per player have to be build in order to achieve the completion (4 step at 4 player, 6 steps at 6 players ect...). You can buy any number of steps during the game until the wonder is constructed.
Once the wonder is complete, the players who have the less number of step discard down to two cards and each player gain an Attack card or a Duchy from the supply for each steps they have built.

If there are no Attack cards in the Kingdom, gaining Duchies might actually hinder your deck depending on when the Wonder gets completed.  Perhaps it should let you gain any card costing up to $5 per step you have built?

What happens if there is a tie, e.g. in a 3-player game each player builds one step?  Do they all discard down to 2 cards or is everyone immune?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2021, 02:03:13 pm by Timinou »

johntgrizzz

• Pawn
  • Shuffle iT Username: johntgrizzz
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: March 21, 2021, 04:02:10 pm »
+1

Alright here's my first shot at one of these!

The idea is a communal Wonder that players would likely casually contribute to early and mid game(encouraging a diversity of buys), with the option of a sprint towards a VP explosion (or blocking of said explosion) late game with a bit of effort. Also might lead to some unique endgame considerations.

Each step requires a buy and its cost.

Great Ziggurat
Step costs: 0 0 1 1 2 2 3 3 4 4 5 5 6 6 7 7 8 8
Step: Gain a card that costs the same as this step.
Completion: Each main contributor, starting with the player who completes the Wonder, takes turns removing a step token and gaining a card of that cost until no step tokens remain.

I was originally thinking maybe just one step at each price point (for a more reasonable reward) but I think this really helps balance it for player 2.

Shael

• Bishop
  • Respect: +56
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: March 21, 2021, 04:30:06 pm »

I totaly agree: turn order is become an issue, especialy with cheap wonder with a small number of steps.
That's exactly why I've made a special rules for my wonder (The Wonders are available only once the first Victory card is gained.). You can potentialy do the same thing if you want: it's a new landscape type so you create the rule aroud them.

Of what I saw, there isn't any special rules with the wonders but I've create my wonders with a common rule: The Wonders are available only once the first Victory card is gained.
Colossus
Each step cost 4 coins.

If there are no Attack cards in the Kingdom, gaining Duchies might actually hinder your deck depending on when the Wonder gets completed.  Perhaps it should let you gain any card costing up to $5 per step you have built?

What happens if there is a tie, e.g. in a 3-player game each player builds one step?  Do they all discard down to 2 cards or is everyone immune?

For your first note, we could have two posibilities:
1) The board "force" you to have a deck were gaining duchy is really bad and risk to break your strategy.
In this case, all player have the same "penality" but it's wierd that you've all build something that kill the balance of your own deck instead of just make it beter...
2) The board don't force you to have a deck were gaining duchy is really bad but you still have this type of deck.
Since you know the wonder at the start of the game, if you've create this type of deck and not your opponent (because in this case, see 1) ), that mean you've done it with full knowledge of the fact and, after all, you've also buy the step(s). So it mean that you prefer to break the balance of your own deck and spend 4 coins and one buy per step instead of just discarding 3 cards during one turn. That mean it's probalby not a great imbalance.

For your second note: If there is a tie, both palyer are the minority contributor. I gess it's the same the other Wonder in this thread. With great wall, for example, if in a 5-player game each one have build one step, they all became imune to attacks. Same in a 4 player game with hanging garden where each player could have bought 3 steps and all became the main contributor (or with 3 player and 4 step per player). I mean, I think...

Alright here's my first shot at one of these!

The idea is a communal Wonder that players would likely casually contribute to early and mid game(encouraging a diversity of buys), with the option of a sprint towards a VP explosion (or blocking of said explosion) late game with a bit of effort. Also might lead to some unique endgame considerations.

Each step requires a buy and its cost.

Great Ziggurat
Step costs: 0 0 1 1 2 2 3 3 4 4 5 5 6 6 7 7 8 8
Step: Gain a card that costs the same as this step.
Completion: Each main contributor, starting with the player who completes the Wonder, takes turns removing a step token and gaining a card of that cost until no step tokens remain.

I was originally thinking maybe just one step at each price point (for a more reasonable reward) but I think this really helps balance it for player 2.
I don't know if it's intentional but if only one player is the main contributor, he gain 2 province, two Duchy and a lot of verry good card (and yes, also two copper but it's stil verry strong).
An other thing (and I think this one isn't intentional) but in a majoity of board, no one want to make the two first steps of this if they are forced to gain Copper.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2021, 04:39:55 pm by Shael »
¤ Post here your favorite fan-cards ¤ The Archive ¤ Witchcraft, a Potion & Exile themed Expansion ¤ Not so Soon ¤                                          

The Alchemist

• Golem
  • Respect: +214
    • View Profile
It's a Wonderful Life
« Reply #224 on: March 23, 2021, 08:51:16 am »

Alright I'm gonna put my stake in this. I've started working on a set of 7, the seven wonders of the ancient world naturally, so apologies for any duplicates. Are seven entries as a set allowed, or should I just limit my entry to one?

Also a clarification, are the squares on the card meant to be for player cubes? Not sure if that part was explained.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14  All

Page created in 0.943 seconds with 21 queries.