Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14  All

Author Topic: New Weekly Contest: Fan Card Mechanics  (Read 45811 times)

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
Re: New Weekly Contest: Fan Card Mechanics
« Reply #125 on: February 26, 2021, 12:19:33 am »
+2

Using the one Dawn per turn:
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

BBobb

• Moneylender
  • My brother says thief is amazing.
  • Respect: +138
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 26, 2021, 02:26:16 am »

Just wondering if you have seen Tejayes Morning cards. They are very similar to these.

I had the same thought as you, so just spent the last I don't know how many minutes trying to find them.
I had spent like 15 minutes trying to find them, so you're not the only one who struggled finding it.

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 26, 2021, 04:40:52 am »
+2

I strongly favour the multiple Dawns format, it opens the mechanic up a bit more whilst makes them a bit less swingy; you really want your 1 Dawn to be in the starting hand, and if it isn't that's a huge setback.

I guess as a whole, Dawns discourage drawing cards with Actions unless something else is added to make them still useful (like X-tra's Cottage). So I'm thinking they really need that something else, otherwise they're not too fun.

So here's my multiple Dawns idea:
Teapot - Dawn Treasure, $5 cost.
+1 Buy
If it's your Dawn phase, then for the rest of the turn, when you play a Treasure,  + $1.Otherwise, + $2.
Wanting a Treasure in the starting hand isn't usually ideal.

Edit: changed it to Bank or + $2 at $5 cost. A little less heavy towards the Dawn phase.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 02:07:35 am by Aquila »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 26, 2021, 05:14:52 am »

but why are they pink :'(

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 26, 2021, 11:35:40 am »
+3

Using one Dawn card per Dawn phase
(but allowing Dawn cards that are multiple types to be played as their other types according to the existing rules):

Ocelot -- $4
Dawn - Night
If it's your Night phase, trash a card you have in play. Otherwise, trash a card from your hand, then
+2 Cards.

It's crepuscular!

he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +581
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 26, 2021, 11:51:06 am »
+3

Designed with unlimited Dawn plays in mind.

Rooster - $3
Dawn
Trash up to 2 cards from your hand. If any cost more than $0, +1 Villager.
If you didn't trash any Estates or Coppers, at the end of your Dawn phase draw until you have 5 cards in hand.

Tried to make a flexible trasher that is more effective at getting rid of Curses and Ruins than the starting junk. It also allows you to defend against hand-size attacks as playing it and not trashing anything fulfills the "none were Estates or Coppers" clause allowing you to draw up to a 5 card hand at the end of your Dawn phase. I had it cost $2, but it is so flexible and basically cycles itself at the very least, so bumped it up to $3. Still, it may be too good, but I am not sure. Feedback is appreciated.

Edit: Updated wording to make the "no Estates or Coppers were trashed" clause clearer. Thanks to emtzalex for the suggestion.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 12:53:45 pm by Xen3k »

emtzalex

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 26, 2021, 12:07:32 pm »
+1

It also allows you to defend against hand-size attacks as playing it and not trashing anything fulfills the "none were Estates or Coppers" clause allowing you to draw up to a 5 card hand at the end of your Dawn phase.

If that's your intention, I think a better wording would be "If you didn't trash any Estates or Coppers..."

(My first idea was Rooster, but it was just going to give +1 Action, which is why I didn't go with it. This is much better than that.)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 12:15:43 pm by emtzalex »
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

BBobb

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 26, 2021, 12:59:36 pm »
+2

(but allowing Dawn cards that are multiple types to be played as their other types according to the existing rules):

Ocelot -- $4
Dawn - Night
If it's your Night phase, trash a card you have in play. Otherwise, trash a card from your hand, then
+2 Cards.

It's crepuscular!

Couldn't this just be worded like this:
Trash a card from your hand. If it's your Dawn Phase, +2 Cards.

The location of the card you trash is different.
Thanks. I didn't notice that. I'll delete my post.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #134 on: February 26, 2021, 02:54:16 pm »
+2

Designed with unlimited Dawn cards per Dawn phase

Provincial House of Pancakes • $3 • Dawn - Reaction
If you played this from your hand, +1 Card and +1 Buy

When you play an Action card that gives +$, +$1
-
When you discard this other than from play, you may set it aside; at the start of your next turn, play it.
aka PHOP
Fuel up your Woodcutters before a long day lumberjacking.
Has the "played from hand" condition to make it less painful for opening with a hand full of these
Has the reaction to make it less terrible to draw into - simply discard it during clean up and you'll get it next turn.

Some miscellaneous notes from re-reading the current contest:
1:
P.S. How amazing would it be to have sort of index for that WDC 1-100 thread??
Definitely exists - it's the link to "List of WDC contests" in my signature - each post where a contest starts is linked. EDIT: I moved it over to the forum itself, from the trello.

2:
- bonus points may be given if you help sway my decision to either have Dawn cards be 1-per-turn, or unlimited-per-turn (if I really like your card, but it would only work 1 of these ways).
Let me make the argument in favor of unlimited, like Night cards; this is also the argument behind my card in general.
You've got a pile of Dawn cards, 10 deep, and they're good. You want the entire pile in your hand. Hands are only 5 cards; if that Dawn card doesn't at the very least replace itself, you're in trouble.
If you can only play one of them AND they don't replace themselves (+1 Card when played from the hand), collision of 3+ Dawn cards is the equivalent of getting hit with a Militia (you're down two cards for that turn).
It needs to replace itself when played from the hand, and to justify them being a pile, they need to be non-terminal.

On top of this, if there's no "set aside-to-play-next-turn" mechanism, running into them midway through your Action phase means you've junked yourself, which either means the effect of them needs to be minimal (to not give lucky draws the game), or Big (to risk junking yourself). The former, why would you buy it? The latter, I don't know that that amount of variance is conducive to Dominion as a game - if you want a random winner, play the coin flip game. 

The only way this card type justifies its existence is as minigames - if it just gives vanilla bonuses unconditionally, why isn't it an action card? or treasure? or whatever. It should give a small task you need to complete to get a reward.

Outtakes from last contest:
« Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 12:07:41 pm by spineflu »

Nobody

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +16
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: February 28, 2021, 05:40:14 pm »
+2

My new entry with unlimited Dawn cards per turn:

clarification: you always start your Action phase with one action, so when you return to your Dawn phase no action can be preserved(except villagers)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Damn, this is nearly the same card as "Eager Dog"(not sure if I remembered the name right), seemingly I covered it without knowing. Obviously this isnt an entry anymore, since its not really my card. I hope I can come up with something new(Its pretty hard, I could make a miniset out of cards, that started as Dawn and became an Action card).
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Only one Dawn card per turn.

[Edit: changed it from "play it" to "put it into your hand", so when you gain more of them their not stackable]

« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 04:35:08 pm by Nobody »

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 28, 2021, 09:21:57 pm »
+2

Meditation
Dawn - $5
You may an Action from your hand three times

(Once per turn)

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 28, 2021, 09:48:57 pm »
+3

Moths
$2 - Dawn - Action
Trash a card from your hand. If it was a Treasure, +1 Card per $ it would've given if you played it.
Otherwise, gain a Silver.
If you play it in the Dawn phase, it doesn't cost an Action, but it's still playable in your Action phase too.
Do you think it's too strong for $2?

EDIT: Created with unlimited morning cards/per turn in mind, though this might be more balanced with one per turn... I don't think it makes all that much difference with this card anyway.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 01:47:33 am by LibraryAdventurer »

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 01, 2021, 12:03:22 am »
+1

Meditation
Dawn - $5

(Once per turn)

This is missing the word "play."
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

mathdude

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +230
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 01, 2021, 12:10:17 am »
+1

Moths
$2 - Dawn - Action
Trash a card from your hand. If it was a Treasure, +1 Card per $ it would've given if you played it.
If you play it in the Dawn phase, it doesn't cost an Action, but it's still playable in your Action phase too.
Do you think it's too strong for $2?
So it's non-terminal if played in the Dawn Phase (if you start your turn with it). But it's terminal if played in your Action Phase. I've toyed with a few cards that work similar to this for my expansion.
he/him

mathdude

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 01, 2021, 12:19:24 am »
+1

I believe we have 10 entries so far. A little under 4 days to go.

Quote from: silverspawn
link=topic=20616.msg863226#msg863226 date=1614334492
but why are they pink :'(

Pink sky in morning, sailors warning. (Morning can be a dangerous time)... also, the available colours that aren't too similar to existing ones isn't that great. Which colour would you use?
he/him

alion8me

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: alion8me
  • Respect: +178
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 01, 2021, 10:56:38 pm »
+8

Unlimited Dawn cards per Dawn phase.

mathdude

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 03, 2021, 04:25:15 pm »
+3

29 hour and 35 minute warning
(sorry, just not sure if I'll be online at the right time tonight for the 24-hour warning)

Here are the submissions so far.  Let me know if I've missed anything:

using the unlimited Dawn cards per turn:

Using the one Dawn per turn:

So here's my multiple Dawns idea:
Teapot - Dawn Treasure, $5 cost.
+1 Buy
If it's your Dawn phase, then for the rest of the turn, when you play a Treasure,  + $1.Otherwise, + $2.

Designed with unlimited Dawn plays in mind.

Designed with unlimited Dawn cards per Dawn phase

(this one is not an entry it says?)

Meditation
Dawn - $5
(Once per turn)

Moths
$2 - Dawn - Action

Unlimited Dawn cards per Dawn phase.

he/him

Nobody

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +16
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 03, 2021, 04:32:30 pm »

(this one is not an entry it says?)

Thats right, changed my post.

emtzalex

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 04, 2021, 03:02:40 pm »
+1

• Start with a hand of multiple Cottages? Say, 3 Cottages? Topdeck two of them for 2 extra Actions, then draw them again with the 3rd one... then topdeck one of the remaining 2, again! And then draw it again! Start your turn with 6 cards and 4 Actions, weee!

I don't think that's exactly right. Each time you use the topdeck ability during Dawn, you net +1 Action and -1 Card. Each time you play other ability you net +1 Card. So if you played 3 topdecks (to end up with 4 Actions) and 3 draws, you would end up with the same number of cards you started with (although it's a neat trick to get to play 3 cards 6 times). Unless I'm mistaken it would look like this:

Hand: Cottage - Cottage - Cottage - [card] - [card] | Actions: 1
 > Play a Cottage and choose topdecking
Hand: Cottage - Cottage - [card] - [card] | Actions: 2
Hand: Cottage - [card] - [card] | Actions: 3
 > Play a Cottage and choose draw (drawing the 2 Cottages you already topdecked)
Hand: Cottage - Cottage - [card] - [card] | Actions: 3
Hand: Cottage - [card] - [card] | Actions: 4
 > Play a Cottage and choose draw (drawing the Cottage you topdecked a second time plus one other card)
Hand: Cottage - [card] - [card] - [card] | Actions: 4
 > Play the last Cottage and choose draw (drawing 2 more cards)
Hand: [card] - [card] - [card] - [card] - [card] | Actions: 4

Frankly, unless much of the rest of your deck is terminal drawing (or a mix of terminal drawing and other terminal actions), I don't know that you need 4 Actions and 5 cards. Probably better to just go topdeck-topdeck-draw-draw-draw, giving you 6 cards and 3 actions, or even just topdecking once, giving you 7 cards and 2 Actions (again, unless you have a fair amount of terminal actions you need played).

I do like the card a lot, and think the fact that it costs a card to gain an Action is good, as it makes the card more balanced.
he/him/his

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 04, 2021, 10:46:16 pm »
+4

I hope I'm not too late with my submission. For the rule with unlimited Dawn cards per Dawn phase.

Helps set up the turn you're about to play. Also helps you avoid drawing dead Maids and set them up to be in your hand at the beginning of your next turn.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 10:54:30 pm by Commodore Chuckles »

fika monster

• Witch
  • 27 year old swedish guy. PFP by haps
  • Respect: +459
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 05, 2021, 05:37:05 am »
+2

Threw this together very quickly so i could be part of this competition

THIS CARD USES THE "you can play 1 dawn card each turn" , so you cant Ancient throne an ancient throne.

Edit:
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 05:41:21 am by fika monster »
Swedish guy, Furry hipster otter

mathdude

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 05, 2021, 07:32:27 am »
+1

I hope I'm not too late with my submission. For the rule with unlimited Dawn cards per Dawn phase.

Helps set up the turn you're about to play. Also helps you avoid drawing dead Maids and set them up to be in your hand at the beginning of your next turn.

I'll allow it. I fell asleep an hour before I was going to post that contest was closed. But there aren't too many entries, so adding this and the next is fine.

Threw this together very quickly so i could be part of this competition

THIS CARD USES THE "you can play 1 dawn card each turn" , so you cant Ancient throne an ancient throne.

Edit:

I assume the intention here is a cheap Crown? By "a playable card", I assume you mean an Action or Treasure card, but not a Dawn card? (Would Night cards be allowed?)

Contest is now closed.

Judging wil be posted within a few hours.
he/him

fika monster

• Witch
  • 27 year old swedish guy. PFP by haps
  • Respect: +459
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 05, 2021, 08:24:18 am »
+1

Oops, yeah its supposed to say "non-dawn"
This is what happens when you rush the text of a card in 5 minutes

Edit: ASDASD

I totally understand if the totally wrong written version is the one that gets judged

« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 02:20:40 pm by fika monster »
Swedish guy, Furry hipster otter

BBobb

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 05, 2021, 11:40:44 am »
+2

Oops, yeah its supposed to say "non-dawn"
This is what happens when you rush the text of a card in 5 minutes
This should specify "from your hand".
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14  All

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 21 queries.