Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14  All

Author Topic: New Weekly Contest: Fan Card Mechanics  (Read 45831 times)

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3189
    • View Profile
Re: New Weekly Contest: Fan Card Mechanics
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2021, 04:31:26 am »

Mendicant • $4 • Action
+2 Cards
Trash a card from your hand. +1 Worshippers per $1 it cost. If you have no Worshippers, +1 Action

This is a Recruiter and Spice Merchant variant; I took the pricing from Spice Merchant so everyone would be able to open with it. I haven't tested it but I suspect it can trash very fast if you trash good stuff, or be a Spice Merchant style pseudolab (pseudo bc hand size doesn't increase with this) when trashing Coppers/Curses. I think it's reasonable for it to cost the same as Spice Merchant bc it lacks the woodcutter flexibility that s.m. has (in favor of chapel-like flexibility).

remember that almost every card that can trash without reducing your handsize is among the strongest cards in the game.

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2021, 09:40:29 am »
+3

A couple of quick (physical) design notes:
• Worshippers are tokens, not cards, so it should be +1 (or x) Worshipper, not gain a Worshipper
• if you're using the Card Image Generator, you can bold the keyword by adding Worshipper under Additional Bold Keywords
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

Timinou

• Witch
  • Respect: +634
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2021, 11:58:18 am »

• Worshippers are tokens, not cards, so it should be +1 (or x) Worshipper, not gain a Worshipper
• if you're using the Card Image Generator, you can bold the keyword by adding Worshipper under Additional Bold Keywords

Thanks!  I've revised my submission.

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2021, 12:39:11 pm »

Also (to get even more pedantic), it's +1 Worshipper but +2 Worshippers. This is worth noting because while it is +1 Villager but +2 Villagers (compare Patron with Lackeys), it is both +1 Coffers and +2 Coffers (compare Baker with Butcher).
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +581
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2021, 12:40:09 pm »

My submission has been updated with the correctly bolded keyword and rewording. I am actually unsure now if it should be $4 or $5. I think it should be ok at $4, but would love some opinions on it.

Timinou

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2021, 01:18:40 pm »
+1

My submission has been updated with the correctly bolded keyword and rewording. I am actually unsure now if it should be $4 or $5. I think it should be ok at $4, but would love some opinions on it.

I'm leaning more towards $5.  Even if you gain a Curse with it, you can use that to fuel the junking attack (or easily get rid of it with a Worshipper).  The attack combined with the next turn options make it quite strong, IMO, and it doesn't take up terminal space.  That said, I don't think it would be a particularly strong $5 (I would perhaps consider changing the option of gaining 2 Silvers to something else).
« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 02:32:35 pm by Timinou »

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2021, 01:28:50 pm »

updated my submission after a couple rounds of testing.

also a fun fact about the first version: still slower than Donate
« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 05:48:55 pm by spineflu »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2021, 02:53:16 pm »

Now it's almost strictly better than Spice Merchant. That's probably not ok.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2021, 02:56:57 pm »

Now it's almost strictly better than Spice Merchant. That's probably not ok.
spice merchant can act as a source for buys; i'd argue the old version had that problem much worse. In any event, I revised it again, so that we don't have to have this conversation.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 03:11:50 pm by spineflu »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2021, 03:26:24 pm »
+1

The problem wasn't so much that it's strictly stronger than another card, but that it's generally stronger than the probably most busted 4$ in the game. The only reason SM doesn't feel OP is that both players have it and you usually only want to buy one.

The new version is much weaker. It's still very strong, but probably okay. I think nerfing it as an early Copper trasher in particular was a good choice. Now it fills a much more unique role.

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2021, 03:29:28 pm »
+2

This contest feels like a great way to spark creativity! It certainly challenges me to think carefully about good design principles.

With Worshippers, I'm struggling to find ways to make them interesting over regular trashing. There's a wide variety of trashing techniques among the official cards already, and it's hard not to clash with them. So my conclusion is to add extra alternative ability, choose trashing or keep the Worshippers for something else. That way there can always be purpose to them after the starting deck is trashed as well.

I intentionally choose not to name my entry as I'm a bit uncomfortable around the flavour:
Sort-of-Butcher - Action, $3 cost.
+1 Action
+1 Worshipper

This turn, when you trash a card, you may remove any number of your Worshippers. If you remove any, gain a card costing exactly $1 more than the trashed card per Worshipper removed.
Of course it's not just Butcher, it's like Forager in how it trashes early.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2021, 03:38:00 pm »

This contest feels like a great way to spark creativity! It certainly challenges me to think carefully about good design principles.

With Worshippers, I'm struggling to find ways to make them interesting over regular trashing. There's a wide variety of trashing techniques among the official cards already, and it's hard not to clash with them. So my conclusion is to add extra alternative ability, choose trashing or keep the Worshippers for something else. That way there can always be purpose to them after the starting deck is trashed as well.

I intentionally choose not to name my entry as I'm a bit uncomfortable around the flavour:
+1 Action
+1 Worshipper

This turn, when you trash a card, you may remove any number of your Worshippers. If you remove any, gain a card costing exactly $1 more than the trashed card per Worshipper removed.
how about "chef"? sort of a different take on worshippers with that connotation, ties kinda to butchers and foragers.

Timinou

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2021, 03:57:23 pm »

How about "Trapper"? (not sure how well the Worshippers tie in, but it's sorta like a forager)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 03:59:24 pm by Timinou »

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +581
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2021, 05:36:41 pm »

I'm leaning more towards $5.  Even if you gain a Curse with it, you can use that to fuel the junking attack (or easily get rid of it with a Worshipper).  The attack combined with the next turn options make it quite strong, IMO, and it doesn't take up terminal space.  That said, I don't think it would be a particularly strong $5 (I would perhaps consider changing the option of gaining 2 Silvers to something else).

I think changing it to $5 is a good move. Changed the Silver gain to Coffers gain instead. Thanks for the feedback.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 05:40:50 pm by Xen3k »

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2021, 08:44:31 pm »
+1

+1 Action
+1 Worshipper

how about "chef"? sort of a different take on worshippers with that connotation, ties kinda to butchers and foragers.

Maybe the cook or quartermaster for a monastery / convent (or some other religious order). I'm not sure if there is a specific name for that role.
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2021, 10:39:57 pm »
+1

« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 06:06:34 pm by Commodore Chuckles »

Timinou

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2021, 12:43:19 am »

Interesting!  If you open double Miracle Worker, this could give you 6 Worshippers by the beginning of Turn 5 (assuming they don't collide and you don't spend any tokens in Turns 3 and 4).  If you get lucky and draw a Miracle Worker on Turn 5, you could end up with 13 Worshippers in Turn 6, which would be enough to trash your starting Coppers and Estates, and both Miracle Workers.  Seems pretty strong as an opener, especially since you get to play your Coppers before you trash them.

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2021, 03:16:56 pm »
+7

All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2021, 03:44:15 pm »
+4

Well, I said I'd participate. So here's my attempt as well:

short of reaching that neat card? Man, just buy a Copper, you'll get there. And hey, here's 2 Worshippers for you to trash it eventually! Perhaps the +1 Worshipper should be a simple vanilla bonus, but eh. It might be too explosive, I dunno.

Offering, I think, really benefit from that cost. We don't want people just stockpiling on these; and Offering itself would otherwise make it very easy to do so.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 03:45:32 pm by X-tra »
Bottom text

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2021, 05:01:24 pm »

Interesting!  If you open double Miracle Worker, this could give you 6 Worshippers by the beginning of Turn 5 (assuming they don't collide and you don't spend any tokens in Turns 3 and 4).  If you get lucky and draw a Miracle Worker on Turn 5, you could end up with 13 Worshippers in Turn 6, which would be enough to trash your starting Coppers and Estates, and both Miracle Workers.  Seems pretty strong as an opener, especially since you get to play your Coppers before you trash them.

Do you think it should be $4 instead?

Fragasnap

• Tactician
  • Respect: +703
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2021, 05:59:07 pm »
+1

(With apologies to Gubump for its similiarites, as I made this yesterday and only got around to uploading it today)

Saint
Types: Action
Cost: $4
+1 Buy, +$2
When you gain or trash this, +1 Worshipper for each differently named card you have in play costing at least $3.
Saint is a $4-cost Woodcutter that comes and goes with some Worshippers based on the variety of your better cards.  Cards need to cost at least $3 to minimize games in which opening with a Worshipper is possible.  You can still do it with Pooka (a wash anyway), Nomad Camp (getting 2 Woodcutters to trash 1 Estate), and Fool.  If you get multiple Worshippers, one can be spent trashing the Saint to double-dip its ability.

Buy a Saint turn 3 or 4 for +1 Worshipper to trash an Estate.  Buy it turn 5 or 6 for at least +2 Worshippers to trash an Estate and then the Saint later for +3 Worshippers or more.
Dominion: Avarice 1.1a, my fan expansion with "in-games-using-this" cards and Edicts (updated Oct 18, 2021)

bitwise

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +142
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2021, 10:52:57 pm »
+2

It'd be so funny to have a game where the scoring is this + Fortress + Tomb. Mwahahahaha

Timinou

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2021, 02:58:15 am »

Do you think it should be $4 instead?

It's hard for me to gauge.  I think I like the idea of being able to open double Miracle Worker.  There's still a ~30% chance that they collide, and that would slow down how quickly you can gain Worshippers.  I'm not even sure if the optimal strategy would be to not use any Worshippers that you gain on T3 ot T4.  I think there would be better opening strategies than double Miracle Worker on many boards, but you could consider making the +2 Worshippers on gain rather than each time it is played if it ends up being OP in it's current form.

gambit05

• Minion
  • Respect: +495
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2021, 11:48:34 am »
+2

My Submission:

Shrine
$2 Action – Reaction

+1 Action
You may discard a card,
for +1 Worshipper.

-------------------------

When another player plays
     an Attack card, you may first     
 play this from your hand.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2021, 08:11:46 am »
+3

(I know 'gains' is not the classically correct word, but it's simplest in this case and seems pretty unambiguous.)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14  All

Page created in 0.447 seconds with 21 queries.