Author Topic: Hades  (Read 1948 times)

sitnaltax

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +490
    • View Profile
Hades
« on: December 18, 2020, 11:17:59 pm »
+1

I'm surprised that nobody's started a topic for Hades yet. It's absolutely my GOTY for 2020. I've been playing since Early Access but it started great and only got greater as it went to release. The action is fun and different every game as you pick a different weapon and get various upgrades that can take the way you fight in entirely different directions. The action takes all the fun watching a character develop in a 30-hour grind of a game like Torchlight or Diablo--and compresses ALL THAT FUN into just 30 minutes, an incredible arc of watching Zagreus get awesome. I don't think I ever can play another ARPG with slow grinding knowing that Hades is there to be played. And when your build is firing--you FEEL LIKE A GOD, dashing around, stabbing ghosts, throwing lightning, it's amazing.

Then there's the other great thing about the game, which is the story and the framing. Hades is a roguelike, but there's a progressing story that unfolds. There's not a lot of branching to it--you can sometimes choose what subplot happens first, but you can't close anything off. But the characters are a lot of fun, with great personalities brought out through incredible art and voice acting. The interpretations of the familiar Olympians are fun, the interpretations of the less-known Chthonic gods are fun, and the ultimate story of why Zagreus is trying to escape from the underworld is a neat original story that all makes sense in retrospect.

TLDR: Hades is great, you should try it.

LaLight

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
  • Respect: +972
    • View Profile
Re: Hades
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2020, 04:44:04 am »

I downloaded this and the Child of Light literally the other day, and decided to play the Child of Light first, as it is much shorter as I've heard. But I'm very enthusiastic about Hades, I've heard nothing but the best reviews!
Wins: 15, 10
Losses: 11, 5, 1
Draws: 1
MVPs: 4
Mod/Co-mod: 18

I always have a limited access to forum on weekends.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2020, 06:56:48 pm »

Kinda hard to talk about the game without spoiling things. Half the fun is discovering the plot, and the new mechanics that keep being revealed surprisingly far into the game.

The only thing I was disappointed by was that it was so good during the "main game", my expectations for the post-credits content was similarly sky-high, but then it was just more of a slow drip. Which would have actually been pretty good if I had played some more after credits just for the fun of it, discovering the few things still hidden as cool small additions.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

LaLight

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
  • Respect: +972
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2020, 07:25:41 pm »
+1

Alright, help me stop please it's been 6 hours
Wins: 15, 10
Losses: 11, 5, 1
Draws: 1
MVPs: 4
Mod/Co-mod: 18

I always have a limited access to forum on weekends.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2020, 03:08:08 pm »

I feel like this game is a bit short on quality-of-life features. Like, there's no practice mode or level warp of any sort. There's a mod that does it (CodexMenu), which is useful but a bit janky (e.g. it seems like it hangs when I warp to Magaera while wielding specifically the sword... haven't figured out what's going on with that yet).

Edit: TBH I'm not sure this game is "for me" because I don't care about the narrative and meta-progression aspects and it seems like those are a big focus. But the arena combat is fun so I don't mind approaching it from that angle (vaguely like Hoplite, which also happens to be based on Greek mythology... coincidence?).
« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 03:16:38 pm by blueblimp »

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
  • Respect: +1020
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2021, 04:27:29 pm »

I've been really hooked on this lately. I've never really liked rouge-anythings. I played a bunch of slay the spire over the summer but it eventually started to feel like a waste of time. But the story of Hades is so good and just perfectly meshes with the gameplay; you always want one more run both to see how far you get and to see what you might have unlocked after it's done. Good times.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 21 queries.