Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: If you could make one card an official one...  (Read 2541 times)

Rhodos

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: Card Master
  • Respect: +87
    • View Profile
If you could make one card an official one...
« on: December 05, 2020, 08:27:36 am »
+2

If you could make one card an official one, which would it be?

If Donald gave you the opportunity, to choose one card that makes it into the set of official cards (say as a promo card), which card would you choose? The idea to ask this question came, as I figured it the answer for myself recently. And so, I was interested about which card you would choose. I know the decision is not an easy one, there are so many great cards in the forum here and you can only choose a single one to make it. But I think it is fun to think about this question :D

So here are the rules:
  • It may be a card or a card-shaped object
  • You can choose one of your own cards or even a card from somebody else
  • It may come with extra stuff, like a mat or a non-Supply pile
  • It may introduce a new mechanic or characteristic, but be aware that it will be the only card with this mechanic then (e.g. Poor House is the only 1 cost Supply card, Maquerade is the only card that lets passes cards around, Black Market...)
  • Tell a little story about that card! Why would that be the one card?
  • And lastly, I want this to be more of a gallery of cool cards and stories than a place of discussion. So, feel free to make positive and approving comments, but please do not post about how to improve ones card or how 'broken' it may be :)

I will start with what my card would be. I hope this will evolve into a nice gallery of cards, people will enjoy to read through :)

Rhodos

• Baron
    • View Profile
Re: If you could make one card an official one...
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2020, 08:30:24 am »
+2

So here is my card: Friar

It actually won a weakly design contest, but that is not the reason it you be the card I would make an official one, if I could. I just started recently to play with the cards I designed, and this one stood out in a way. We (me and a friend) played Friar in a kingdom with Talisman (I put it in purpose), so you could get a bunch of them. Soon, we both had several in our decks and damn, it was so much fun! On a regular basis we to trashed our good cards to it, but the pay-off felt to rewarding. My friend had the decision to whether or not trash his Baker. In the end he decided to do so, not an easy choice, but I think, it was the right one. And it became kind of a meme, that we trashed a Friar to Friar, to take back the Tunic :D
It was only one game, which is of course not much. But that card created interesting decisions and so much fun, that I thought, if I was given the chance to make an official card, it would be this :)

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1353
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2020, 01:42:48 pm »
+5

I vote for alion8me's "Lunar Ritual"

It's deceptively simple, it's something that probably should've been a promo for Nocturne, and it's a great card that should be in a future expansion that features both Night cards and Events.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2020, 02:06:28 pm »
+2

It's deceptively simple, it's something that probably should've been a promo for Nocturne, and it's a great card that should be in a future expansion that features both Night cards and Events.

Was it updated to "you may play action cards during your night phase"?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2020, 02:16:40 pm by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2020, 02:11:20 pm »

Was it updated to "you play play action cards during your night phase"?
probably, but i just grabbed the newest entry on the trello, which might not've been updated.

Rhodos

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2020, 01:59:40 pm »
+1

Oh yeah, I remember that card. It is so simple and interesting! I wonder how this would play out, will probably try it some time. The name and art are great too :)

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1445
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2020, 05:54:53 pm »

I don’t see how this is not far, far weaker than Toil. You literally need 3 Action cards or more for this to be potentially better than Toil ... with the emphasis being on potentially as non-terminality and Coins being better in the Buy than the Night phase being two huge pluses for Toil.

I think that the concept is cool, but implemented e.g. as Duration or whatever.

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2020, 06:10:28 pm »
+3

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3233
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2020, 06:41:14 pm »
+1

I don’t see how this is not far, far weaker than Toil. You literally need 3 Action cards or more for this to be potentially better than Toil ... with the emphasis being on potentially as non-terminality and Coins being better in the Buy than the Night phase being two huge pluses for Toil.

You do need at least 3 Action cards for this to be better than toil, but why would that be unrealistic?

You can play your entire deck with Lunar Ritual. Ideally, you would have a deck that consists of only draw, remodel, and a few coin token cards to make sure you can afford your Lunar Ritual. (You don't want +$ since that is only useful if you draw it in your initial hand.) Buy Lunar Ritual, play all of your once-terminal draw, then get the payload from your remodeling.

That said, I actually didn't like the event either when it was first submitted and am still lukewarm about it. I do kind of agree in that a lot of Action cards won't be useful at night; that's the main problem. (You really need Coffers or trashing.) But I don't think it's as slam dunk as you're making it out to be.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2020, 08:01:21 pm »

You do need at least 3 Action cards for this to be better than toil, but why would that be unrealistic?

You can play your entire deck with Lunar Ritual. Ideally, you would have a deck that consists of only draw, remodel, and a few coin token cards to make sure you can afford your Lunar Ritual. (You don't want +$ since that is only useful if you draw it in your initial hand.) Buy Lunar Ritual, play all of your once-terminal draw, then get the payload from your remodeling.

That said, I actually didn't like the event either when it was first submitted and am still lukewarm about it. I do kind of agree in that a lot of Action cards won't be useful at night; that's the main problem. (You really need Coffers or trashing.) But I don't think it's as slam dunk as you're making it out to be.

I think the games where it'll matter, it'll be essential, and ignorable in the rest of the games - kinda the ideal event imo.

Carline

• Witch
  • Respect: +391
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2020, 08:18:54 pm »
+6

The final version submited in Weekly Contest #80, which I judged, giving the win to it, costs .

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=18987.msg847021#msg847021

« Last Edit: December 06, 2020, 08:26:13 pm by Carline »

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2020, 07:32:57 am »

How often do Remodelers, terminal draw and Coffers appear in the same Kingdom? How often does such a Kingdom appear without Villages (with Villages, the Village deck is far more consistent than the Lunar deck)?
It is hardly a surprise that you had up to come up with a special deck, the card in its current form is simply extremely niche which is not the trademark of a good card.

This might work as Duration, as Capitalism like Project, at a cheaper price or in any other form that keeps the main idea without being far, far weaker than Toil (which is not particularly powerful either).

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3233
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2020, 08:00:58 am »
+1

How often do Remodelers, terminal draw and Coffers appear in the same Kingdom? How often does such a Kingdom appear without Villages (with Villages, the Village deck is far more consistent than the Lunar deck)?
It is hardly a surprise that you had up to come up with a special deck, the card in its current form is simply extremely niche which is not the trademark of a good card.

maybe a tenth of the time? A bit more? Which might be about as often as Counting House is viable.

You also don't necessarily need all of them, especially if Lunar Ritual costs 3$. You can try a version with some money and no coin tokens.

Idk about consistency, the Lunar deck could be quite consistent and very powerful, not needing villages.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2020, 09:02:00 am »

At $3 it might be OKish, then getting more similar to March which is highly situational.
But it is still weak, all Actions that draw or produce Coins are worthless in the Night phase.

Rhodos

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2020, 10:52:14 am »
+2

I know, we all like to discuss cards, but...
  • And lastly, I want this to be more of a gallery of cool cards and stories than a place of discussion. So, feel free to make positive and approving comments, but please do not post about how to improve ones card or how 'broken' it may be :)
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 22 queries.