Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14  All

Author Topic: Dominion: Venus, a fan expansion by Carline  (Read 47795 times)

Carline

• Witch
  • Respect: +391
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion: Venus, a fan expansion by Carline
« Reply #175 on: December 30, 2020, 02:29:13 am »
+1

Added Traveller type, made all Seasons cantrips and changed Four Seasons to .

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: December 30, 2020, 03:27:27 am »

Updated these two cards:

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: December 30, 2020, 04:15:57 am »
+1

I like this a lot as I a am a sucker for cards that want to be matched with others. I also think it is wise to nerf the Laboratory-Season aka Spring as this is potentially the most explosive of the vanila bunch.

LittleFish

• Tactician
  • Respect: +188
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: December 30, 2020, 12:05:32 pm »
+2

Updated these two cards:

Nightmare would be a political attack, as you could give one person a scout, and the other a colony in a three person game

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: December 30, 2020, 01:55:17 pm »

Updated these two cards:

Nightmare would be a political attack, as you could give one person a scout, and the other a colony in a three person game

I was aware of this, but it happens only with intentional sub-par playing. Similar situations could happen with Jester, Swindler or Oracle, for example.

Anyway, I think I can reduce this risk.

What I want is to give other cards, especially Coppers when Curse pile is out. Otherwise, you could pin the opponent.

Maybe it could be better if I write "a card you choose from one of the cheapest available in Supply".

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: December 30, 2020, 02:42:20 pm »
+2

Updated these two cards:

I was aware of this, but it happens only with intentional sub-par playing. Similar situations could happen with Jester, Swindler or Oracle, for example.

What I want is to give other cards, especially Coppers when Curse pile is out. Otherwise, you could pin the opponent.

Maybe it could be better if I write "a card you choose from one of the cheapest available in Supply".

You'd have to specify "cheapest in ," because once the Coppers and Curses run out, there is no "cheapest" if Vineyards are in the Kingdom ( is not less than , nor is less than ).
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: December 30, 2020, 02:54:41 pm »
+1

Updated these two cards:

You'd have to specify "cheapest in ," because once the Coppers and Curses run out, there is no "cheapest" if Vineyards are in the Kingdom ( is not less than , nor is less than ).

You could just say zero cost since it'd be extremely rare for both the Curses and Coppers to run out.

Gubump

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: December 30, 2020, 03:04:10 pm »
+1

It's probably fine for Nightmare to just say "they gain a Curse (or a Copper if they can't)." If both the Curses and Coppers are out and the game hasn't ended, then that's the fault of the players, not the card.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: December 30, 2020, 03:59:10 pm »
+2

That's not really the concern with "political" attacks. The politics issue is "picking who to hose", as Donald X. puts it. For Nightmare, that only happens when there aren't quite enough Curses to go around and you have to pick who gets them. Personally I'd be willing to live with that, but your mileage may vary.

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: December 31, 2020, 12:48:30 am »

I like this a lot as I a am a sucker for cards that want to be matched with others. I also think it is wise to nerf the Laboratory-Season aka Spring as this is potentially the most explosive of the vanila bunch.

Yes, you're right. Nerfed Spring. I think they are more well balanced now.

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: December 31, 2020, 01:08:20 am »

Updated these two cards:

You could just say zero cost since it'd be extremely rare for both the Curses and Coppers to run out.

It's probably fine for Nightmare to just say "they gain a Curse (or a Copper if they can't)." If both the Curses and Coppers are out and the game hasn't ended, then that's the fault of the players, not the card.

That's not really the concern with "political" attacks. The politics issue is "picking who to hose", as Donald X. puts it. For Nightmare, that only happens when there aren't quite enough Curses to go around and you have to pick who gets them. Personally I'd be willing to live with that, but your mileage may vary.

As it is, maybe sometimes you may want to give other card, even when Curse pile is not empty. 

notevenodd

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: December 31, 2020, 10:22:22 pm »
+1

Nightmare would be used in endgames to deplete piles, is that an intended usage?

- Deplete 3 piles faster!
- If there are two provinces left and you lead, give the penultimate province to your opponent, and buy the last one. Checkmate!

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 01, 2021, 12:38:01 am »
+1

Nightmare would be used in endgames to deplete piles, is that an intended usage?

- Deplete 3 piles faster!
- If there are two provinces left and you lead, give the penultimate province to your opponent, and buy the last one. Checkmate!

Welcome to the Forum!

The main intention was to give other cards when Curse pile is empty.  You pointed other instersting uses for it in endgame. Thank you!

notevenodd

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: January 01, 2021, 02:16:04 pm »
+1

Welcome to the Forum!

Thank you! Yes, I just joined here because I enjoy Dominion a lot and I really love seeing fan cards. Happy New Year!
I wanted to say the Venus expansion looks awesome. It has a lot of very interesting cards, seems very well put together, and the chosen artwork looks fabulous. I definitely want to play it !!!

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: January 01, 2021, 06:25:24 pm »

Welcome to the Forum!

Thank you! Yes, I just joined here because I enjoy Dominion a lot and I really love seeing fan cards. Happy New Year!
I wanted to say the Venus expansion looks awesome. It has a lot of very interesting cards, seems very well put together, and the chosen artwork looks fabulous. I definitely want to play it !!!

Thank you very much! I'm happy you like it.

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: January 02, 2021, 12:18:49 am »

Added this gainer, a kind of Horn of Plenty variant.

LittleFish

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: January 02, 2021, 12:35:20 am »
+1

Why would you ever play it as an Action? I also think that this should cost more than horn of plenty, seeing as you can get more actions in play than differently named cards

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: January 02, 2021, 12:38:30 am »

Why would you ever play it as an Action? I also think that this should cost more than horn of plenty, seeing as you can get more actions in play than differently named cards

The answer for your two questions is the same: It gains a card costing exactly the number of action cards played.

Gubump

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: January 02, 2021, 12:49:07 am »
+1

Minor nitpick: "Card" shouldn't be capitalized.

LittleFish

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: January 02, 2021, 12:50:32 am »

The answer for your two questions is the same: It gains a card costing exactly the number of action cards played.
If you play it as an treasure card, it still counts towards action cards in play

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: January 02, 2021, 12:56:11 am »

Minor nitpick: "Card" shouldn't be capitalized.

Yes, fixed.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 01:53:52 am by Carline »

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: January 02, 2021, 12:58:17 am »

If you play it as an treasure card, it still counts towards action cards in play

Yes, but you could reach Buy phase with 7, 9, 12 or any other number of actions played.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 01:06:23 am by Carline »

LittleFish

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: January 02, 2021, 01:00:00 am »
+1

Yes, but you can reach Buy phase with 7, 9, 12 or any other number of actions played.
I meant that towards my first question of "Why would anyone play it as an action while they could play it as a treasure"

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: January 02, 2021, 01:06:40 am »

Yes, but you can reach Buy phase with 7, 9, 12 or any other number of actions played.
I meant that towards my first question of "Why would anyone play it as an action while they could play it as a treasure"

You would play it in Action phase to reach the exact number of Actions played you want and still play other Actions after that. Sometimes you would reach Buy phase with more Actions played than the cost of any available card. In this situation, there's no point to play it in Buy phase and you would better play it in Action phase. Also you may want to play it in Action phase due to the tricks gainers in Action phase can do when interact with other cards, like gain an action card, draw it and play it in the same turn. It costs less than Horn of Plenty because you have to play it in the exact place in playing order which corresponds to the cost of the desired card.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 01:37:03 am by Carline »

Gubump

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: January 02, 2021, 02:13:58 am »
+1

The name and the art don't really make sense together, IMHO. Based on the art, I'd suggest calling it "Noblewoman," or something similar.

Speaking of art, where do you find your art, Carline? Did you draw your art for all these cards yourself?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 02:15:26 am by Gubump »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14  All

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 21 queries.