Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14  All

Author Topic: Dominion: Venus, a fan expansion by Carline  (Read 47791 times)

Carline

• Witch
  • Respect: +391
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion: Venus, a fan expansion by Carline
« Reply #125 on: December 20, 2020, 06:56:16 pm »

"Playable" isn't really a defined keyword in Dominion, and there aren't very many playable cards aside from Treasures and Actions, so I'd prefer limiting it to those two types, but your new wording is probably fine. Assuming it's intended that you can choose the Throne option with non-playable cards as effectively a do-nothing option.

What about this wording?

LittleFish

• Tactician
  • Respect: +188
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 20, 2020, 06:57:25 pm »
+1

Changed "show" to "reveals".

The spirit of the card is "they choose and you choose over they choice". It won't be this card without this.

If they choose a good card, you gain it. If  they choose a bad card, you do a kind of Mountebank attack. If they choose a mediocre card like Silver, it's not so bad also, you play it twice.

I have an edge case for you: The player to your left reveals a Duchy. There's only one Duchy left, and you know that if either you or your opponent gains it, the game ends and you lose, but you have enough to buy a Province this turn and that would make you win. So your only option is to choose to play it twice. But playing a Duchy doesn't make any sense, as Victories aren't playable. What happens?

In this edge case you pointed, the solution is easy: if you would buy a Province and win the game, you don't need to play the Buffoon. However, I agree that in general it's strange that there is a play option and they can reveal a non-playable card. Should I add something like "if it's a playable card..." to the option?

Okay, your + token is on the Buffoon pile and you'd be short if you didn't play the Buffoon.

I may be getting the rule wrong, but doesn't the game end at the end of the turn, not the moment the pile is empty, so you could both gain the duchy and then go on to buy the province?

You're right. It's a bad example. But my point that you could be in a situation in which the only right move is to play a Victory card still stands.

EDIT: Just thought of an example where getting a Duchy and a Province would cost you the game, but just a Province wouldn't.
You have Wolf Den and Wall as Landmarks. Getting a Duchy would give you a net loss of 1 due to it being your first Duchy and you already being over 15 cards. Not getting the Duchy would therefore put you one point higher than you would be if you did get it, and would prevent a tie, and you went first so your opponent would win the tiebreaker.

I think there's no need to find more examples related to endgame edge cases, at least for the purposes of Buffoon analysis. I think the point about playing a Victory is already demonstrated by you and I already said that I don't think it's a good feature in general to be able to choose the option of playing when a non-playable card is revealed. So, I ask again: do you think that add a "if it's a playable card" to the option fix this?

EDIT: Does this wording works?

"Playable" isn't really a defined keyword in Dominion, and there aren't very many playable cards aside from Treasures and Actions, so I'd prefer limiting it to those two types, but your new wording is probably fine. Assuming it's intended that you can choose the Throne option with non-playable cards as effectively a do-nothing option.
Maybe "non-Command nor Victory" card?

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 20, 2020, 07:04:50 pm »

Maybe "non-Command nor Victory" card?

Thank you, LittleFish. I reworded it again to this. Do you think it's OK?

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 20, 2020, 08:48:12 pm »
+1

That's a much better wording.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 20, 2020, 09:53:27 pm »
+1

Updated these cards:

I want more terminal draw, so added this. Better use is to set aside Estates and use as Den of Sin, while keeping them away from shuffle. I don't know, comparing to Research and Smith, if it's better at $3 or $4. 

Updated this Event:

Changed Touch of Life into an Event:

Added this event:

Merged Divination and Alert in one Project:

Added this Way from last Weekly Contest, changing theme and making it not staying until next turn.

Changed the beasts to use Novices mechanics of double face cards. Added a discard of a useful card, so it would not be so good with Necropolis and not so easy to play many of them in a turn.

Way of the Beast and Beasts set

Beasts (Double face cards)

Gargoyle/Sphynx

Medusa/Quimera

She-Wolf/Harpy

BEASTS SETUP
If Way of the Beast is in the game, set aside the Beats with Gargoyle, Medusa and She-Wolf face up.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2020, 01:43:54 am by Carline »

gambit05

• Minion
  • Respect: +495
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 21, 2020, 01:50:39 am »
+1

I have a few comments on your new cards.

Touch of Life
This seems to be too strong. For example, you can convert all your Coppers to Peddlers.
What about "Once per game"?

Way of the Werecat
Wording: …at the end of this turn (after drawing). See Way of the Squirrel, River’s Gift.

Way of the Beasts
I like the idea that you extend the Novice idea of the double-faced cards. This emphasizes your new concept in your set. However, there might be a problem. Gargoyle is too weak compared to the alternatives and would be likely rarely played and thus, Sphinx would be rarely seen.

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 21, 2020, 01:57:10 am »

Touch of Life
This seems to be too strong. For example, you can convert all your Coppers to Peddlers.
What about "Once per game"

It was a Project, so it was once per game. When I converted to Event, I forgot to put the clause.

Way of the Werecat
Wording: …at the end of this turn (after drawing). See Way of the Squirrel, River’s Gift.

I used the wording of Save, but the one you said is better.

Way of the Beasts
I like the idea that you extend the Novice idea of the double-faced cards. This emphasizes your new concept in your set. However, there might be a problem. Gargoyle is too weak compared to the alternatives and would be likely rarely played and thus, Sphinx would be rarely seen.

It does Spy in your deck too. You think it's weak even with it?.

gambit05

• Minion
  • Respect: +495
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 21, 2020, 02:12:11 am »
+1

Touch of Life

Quote from: Carline
It was a Project, so it was once per game. When I converted to Event, I forgot to put the clause.

Just to be sure: I would probably put the "once per game" there, but even then I feel that it is still too strong, mainly because of the Coppers.

Way of the Werecat

I used the wording of Save, but the one you said is better.

I wasn't aware of the wording of Save. Still, as you said the alternative looks better.

Way of the Beasts

It does Spy in your deck too. You think it's weak even with it?.

Yes. I would rather junk my opponents or mess with the top 3 cards of their deck instead of just one in the majority of the cases. Only when you can combine the Spy effect of Gargoyle with another card in your hand that strongly benefits from knowing, which card is on top, this becomes relevant. If I remember correctly, you have a few cards that do that, but without looking back to all your cards, I can't say how many you have in your set and how strong their effects are.

Timinou

• Witch
  • Respect: +634
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 21, 2020, 05:57:44 pm »

Wishing Fountain: I think this should cost $3 like Wishing Well, or you should consider tweaking it to be able to reveal more than 2 cards to find matches.  You'd have to be quite lucky to have both cards be the same; in most cases you will probably only gain 1 card to your hand.

Did you see it cares about card types and not card names?

Oops...I missed that.  Card type is definitely easier than card name.

Blessing: I feel like the net result of this is that you pay $5 now to gain a card costing up to $6 directly to your hand in the future.  The option to trash in nice and there is some synergy with Blessed Gems if play both in the same turn, but it still seems a bit weak overall.

I don't think this version is weak, it's vanishing Chapel plus a kind of Feast.

Thinking about it a bit more, I think the cost and power level are fine.  It's better than Feast because a Wish gives you the flexibility to gain a card that will be most useful to you when you play it.

Buffoon: I would replace the word "show" with "reveals" to be consistent with other cards.  I think giving the opponent the choice of which card to reveal sounds good on the surface, but I think more often than not, they will reveal mediocre cards and Buffoon will end up being weaker than Jester.  I feel like it would be better to have the opponent reveal the top card of the deck (I wouldn't have them discard it like with Jester).

If they choose a good card, you gain it. If  they choose a bad card, you do a kind of Mountebank attack. If they choose a mediocre card like Silver, it's not so bad also, you play it twice.

Don't get me wrong - I love the idea of giving your opponent a choice, and then making a decision based on what they choose.  I'm still concerned about the power level.  One potential consequence of Buffoon is that because one of the options is for every other player to gain a copy of the card, in multi-player games some Supply piles could run out faster.  In such a scenario, your opponent could reveal a card whose Supply pile is empty, and your choices would be either to play that card twice (which may not necessarily be useful for you) or force everyone else to gain a Copper, which is fairly weak compared to other junking attacks.  In certain games where your opponent is winning, it may actually be beneficial for them to reveal an Estate.  If you choose the junking attack, you risk accelerating the end of the game by emptying out a Supply pile, whereas if you choose to gain an Estate, that wouldn't help you much. 

Also, how would this work with Ruins?  I may be wrong about the rules, but if a player reveals "Abandoned Mine", for instance, you can't force them to gain a copy of it unless it also happens to be the top card in the Ruins Supply pile.         
« Last Edit: December 21, 2020, 05:59:48 pm by Timinou »

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 21, 2020, 06:51:53 pm »

Buffoon: I would replace the word "show" with "reveals" to be consistent with other cards.  I think giving the opponent the choice of which card to reveal sounds good on the surface, but I think more often than not, they will reveal mediocre cards and Buffoon will end up being weaker than Jester.  I feel like it would be better to have the opponent reveal the top card of the deck (I wouldn't have them discard it like with Jester).

Don't get me wrong - I love the idea of giving your opponent a choice, and then making a decision based on what they choose.  I'm still concerned about the power level.  One potential consequence of Buffoon is that because one of the options is for every other player to gain a copy of the card, in multi-player games some Supply piles could run out faster.  In such a scenario, your opponent could reveal a card whose Supply pile is empty, and your choices would be either to play that card twice (which may not necessarily be useful for you) or force everyone else to gain a Copper, which is fairly weak compared to other junking attacks.  In certain games where your opponent is winning, it may actually be beneficial for them to reveal an Estate.  If you choose the junking attack, you risk accelerating the end of the game by emptying out a Supply pile, whereas if you choose to gain an Estate, that wouldn't help you much. 

Also, how would this work with Ruins?  I may be wrong about the rules, but if a player reveals "Abandoned Mine", for instance, you can't force them to gain a copy of it unless it also happens to be the top card in the Ruins Supply pile.         

Many attack cards don't do the attack part when a supply pile is empty (Curses for Witch, the revelead card pile for Jester, etc). Buffoon will fail sometimes, but I think would be rare these cases when you best move with it is the sub-optimal Copper junking. Even in this cases, I think it's more intersting that your opponent have to see this possibilty than if occurs at random.

Buffoon would do good things for you most of the time, but it has the kind of swingness of Swindler. In a few edge cases, they can go against you. Just don't play your Swindler if your opponent has Peddlers and Pedllers pile is empty.

With Ruins, you may always play them twice if the top card of the pile is not the same of the revelead one.

Timinou

• Witch
  • Respect: +634
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: December 21, 2020, 08:27:15 pm »

Many attack cards don't do the attack part when a supply pile is empty (Curses for Witch, the revelead card pile for Jester, etc).

Right, but Witch gives you +2 Cards and Jester gives you $2 (and in games with 3+ players you'd have to be unlucky if all players revealed something from an empty Supply pile).  Buffoon doesn't do anything in this case other than the sub-par junking effect in this case. 

With Ruins, you may always play them twice if the top card of the pile is not the same of the revelead one.

Depending on what is revealed, it may not always be that helpful.

Have you considered giving Buffoon some vanilla bonuses in addition to the attack? 

LittleFish

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 21, 2020, 09:05:30 pm »

[imgwidth=150]https://uploaddeimagens.com.br/images/003/008/893/full/Buffoon_%2829%29.png?1608437074[/img]

Many attack cards don't do the attack part when a supply pile is empty (Curses for Witch, the revelead card pile for Jester, etc).

Right, but Witch gives you +2 Cards and Jester gives you $2 (and in games with 3+ players you'd have to be unlucky if all players revealed something from an empty Supply pile).  Buffoon doesn't do anything in this case other than the sub-par junking effect in this case. 

Have you considered giving Buffoon some vanilla bonuses in addition to the attack?

Also if someone reveals a moat

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 21, 2020, 09:52:28 pm »

[imgwidth=150]https://uploaddeimagens.com.br/images/003/008/893/full/Buffoon_%2829%29.png?1608437074[/img]

Also if someone reveals a moat

Comparing to Jester attack part:

- If the revealed card is an Action, Treasure or Night, Buffoon is so much better than Jester: If you want to gain a copy, it’s the same; if it’s bad and you want to junk, you junk with an additional Copper; and you have the extra option of play it twice. If its pile is empty, Jester attack fails, Buffoon can play it twice.

- If the revealed card is a Curse, Buffoon junks with a Copper more. If Curse pile is out, Jester attack fails, Buffoon may give a Copper.

- If the revealed card is an Estate, with Buffoon you junk with a Copper more. You also may gain it in the endgame, if you want. If Estates pile is out, Buffoon may give Copper. If Curse pile is out, Jester attack fails.

- If the revealed card is a good Victory, Buffon may gain it, which is better than gives a Curse. If their pile is out, Buffoon may give Copper. If Curse pile is out, Jester attack fails.

When the revealed card is bad, Jester junks with a copy, but also discards it from the top of deck, which could help your opponent (the opposite when it's a good card).

When Jester attack fails, it’s less than a Woodcutter. The worst case of Buffoon, when happens, is Ambassador attack without trashing, not so good, but not a total fail.

I think the better options Buffoon has over Jester in most of the cases, in special the play twice option and additional junking, counterbalance the + of Jester.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2020, 10:11:20 pm by Carline »

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 22, 2020, 05:58:36 pm »

Touch of Life

Just to be sure: I would probably put the "once per game" there, but even then I feel that it is still too strong, mainly because of the Coppers.

Changed it to include a discard. Now Coppers, instead of Peddlers, would be endgame Poachers.

LittleFish

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 22, 2020, 06:06:58 pm »
+1

Touch of Life

Changed it to include a discard. Now Coppers, instead of Peddlers, would be endgame Poachers.

What happens with Night cards?

Edit: Won't this work to play treasures in the action phase without using anything up, while also drawing an extra card? Sort of like backwards capitalism?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2020, 06:08:22 pm by LittleFish »

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 22, 2020, 06:38:12 pm »
+1

I think Looters are rare enough for it to be reasonable to just allow Ruins to be an edge case that makes Buffoon weak. Especially since they're only in one expansion.

Also, someone in the Dominion Discord pointed this out about another playing-Victories-as-Actions fan card posted there, which also applies to Touch of Life: I think it's too broken to allow Provinces to be played since they can then be gained with Pilgrimage, Changeling, or Kiln.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2020, 06:41:00 pm by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 22, 2020, 08:28:58 pm »

Also, someone in the Dominion Discord pointed this out about another playing-Victories-as-Actions fan card posted there, which also applies to Touch of Life: I think it's too broken to allow Provinces to be played since they can then be gained with Pilgrimage, Changeling, or Kiln.

Yes, it's a problem, thank you. I'll see how to fix it.

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 23, 2020, 06:00:49 pm »

I think maybe Touch of Life could work as an Action. How much do you think it should cost?

LittleFish

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 23, 2020, 07:30:46 pm »

I think maybe Touch of Life could work as an Action. How much do you think it should cost?

Maybe it should give +1 action, so you can actually play the set aside card

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 23, 2020, 07:39:58 pm »

It instructs you to play the card.

LittleFish

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 23, 2020, 07:43:02 pm »
+1

It instructs you to play the card.
Sorry, missed that

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 26, 2020, 05:06:51 am »
+1

Pretty sure that this is still too good. You don't need to trash at all, all your Coppers are Peddlers. And Silvers become the card which shall not exist in an unconditional form.

LittleFish

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 26, 2020, 12:50:42 pm »
+1

Pretty sure that this is still too good. You don't need to trash at all, all your Coppers are Peddlers. And Silvers become the card which shall not exist in an unconditional form.
but only for one turn, not the entire game. Maybe as a it will be hard enough to reach that the power level is okay.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 26, 2020, 02:26:36 pm »
+1

As it is nonterminal and not a cantrip it is definitely worse than the Project. And of course you still have to draw into Touch of Life to Peddler-ify all your yellow.
But that is the issue, all you need is some draw or sifting power. That is too simple, you usually gotta work harder. You need Buys to get a lot of Peddlers and the three DoublePeddlers require much more deckbuilding effort than Touch of Life.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 26, 2020, 02:29:12 pm »
+1

Suppose you open Warehouse/Silver. You get lucky after the first shuffle, hit $6, buy Touch of Life and a second Warehouse. You already got a deck at T5 which nearly draws itself!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14  All

Page created in 0.194 seconds with 21 queries.