Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14  All

Author Topic: Dominion: Venus, a fan expansion by Carline  (Read 47792 times)

Carline

• Witch
  • Respect: +391
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion: Venus, a fan expansion by Carline
« Reply #75 on: December 08, 2020, 04:40:00 am »

Thank you very much GendoIkari, I appreciated very much your comments.

Note that I haven't read the other replies yet; so don't know if some of this has already been covered.

As a whole set, I feel like there's too many different things. It combines a lot of things from Nocturne as well as Menagerie, but also some Guilds and Renaissance mechanics. Between Overpay, Heirlooms,  Night, Ways, Horses, Villagers, Coffers, VP Tokens, Exile, Events, Split Piles, Reserves, Debt, Projects, Hexes, Landmarks, Pile Tokens, and Durations (to be fair it seems Durations are now a core mechanic)... it just seems like way too many mechanics to fit into one set. Looks like 35 separate Kingdom Piles? That's a lot.

Yeah, as I said in original post, It has a bit of almost everything in terms of Mechanics. Of course, it doesn't fit the conditions of an official expansion in this aspect, but I think it's ok for a fan expansion to be unified only by theme. Same for quantity of cards, although maybe some could leave the set if playtests show they are not good enough.

Wanderer might be simpler though very slightly weaker if it were "choose one" with both options mandatory. It's a bit weird that now it gives you the choice to effectively just trash a Copper from the supply.

I could avoid this effect of trash a Cooper from the Supply by changing order of options. However, I want to keep this possibilty for the few cases you may would want it like with Forager, Treasurer, Priest, Tomb and Sewers or, in the case of this set, Underworld Gate, Gravedigger and the Heirloom Blessed Gems (maybe this effect could be too strong with Tomb, but something similar happens with Lurker and Tomb).

Money Trick seems a bit complicated in the reaction wording. I wonder if the "if it's a Money Trick" part is even needed.... was that added just to prevent an infinite loop with discarding a Money Trick into an empty deck? Either way this might be as strong as Peddler/Poacher; which would make it too cheap.

Yes, I added the Exile part to prevent loops.

It has some downsides comparing to Peddler. With an initial hand without actions it's only a Pouch. And for each one you discard to obtain Peddler effect you have to play an action before. It's not so easy to chain as Peddler. I don't know for sure about the cost, maybe have to see tests, but seems ok to me at first.

Amazon - I'm not sure if "gain a Horse to your Hand" is significantly different enough from "+2 cards"... of course when combined with things like Horse Lady, it is, and maybe that was the intent. I'm also not sure about Overpay on a  card... the official Overpay cards don't exceed . At , you likely aren't going to be using the Overpay very often at all; though it is a nice bonus when you hit .

One other difference is that you may not need to use the Horse this turn. When I thought about the overpay, I was thinking exactly in having a god option when hit (or even if it's early to start greening).

Fruit Mix wording; Donald is planning to update Treasures to not longer use "When you play this", and you don't have that on Fruits either. And instead of "worth", it should just be "+"l; like an action would be. I believe treasures like Bank will be updated to do that as well.

Yes, I will change wording, it would be better.

Calmness is a bit weird; it's obvious what the +1 Card Token does, but "whenever you want" is weird timing. It's also rare that you are going to hold onto it very long; so maybe instead during cleanup draw 1 extra card for your next turn.

If I have a card whenever I want, probably I would see my hand before take it and would save this option for a situation where is more needed, like a hand without a card to start an engine or a hand with $7 when already start greening.

That's the idea, but maybe it's not the best way to implement it or wording the instructions.

Birth of Venus might be too similar to Donate.

I wiil see what more I can do about it.

Phoenix might be too strong with some one-shots like Pillage.

You're right. And also with Lurker. So, I added "from your hand', which prevents both issues.

About the Ways, I'm changing a few things, so I will answer after that. Thank you again for feedbacks.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 05:12:45 am by Carline »

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 11, 2020, 08:59:46 pm »
+1

New versions of three cards. All of them care about what is in the trash. It could lead to instersting interactions between them.

gambit05

• Minion
  • Respect: +495
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 14, 2020, 01:46:13 am »
+1

New versions of three cards. All of them care about what is in the trash. It could lead to instersting interactions between them.

Gravedigger
This seems to simpler than the previous versions of Gravedigger. If it is trashing a Copper it doesn’t stay in play, right?
What is the idea behind the option to gain a cheaper (emphasis on cheaper) card from the trash? Is it to help accumulating cards of value in the trash or to keep the number of valuable cards in the trash low? After the initial Estates are gone, the best deal seems to be to have some Silvers in the deck (edge cases excluded). The Silvers can be played and then converted via trashing to +$3 for the next turn. Do you have a Silver gainer in your set?

Sacred Hall
I think, “If you did” is not necessary, because it is self-explanatory that when you haven’t trashed that you don’t have a cost.
…in the trash (below line): “T” in lowercase (see for example Forager).
The VP value may fluctuate significantly in dependency of the presence of different Victory cards in a Kingdom, especially cheap ones, but I think it is okay. Bishop looks stronger as it can trash anything. If Sacred Hall needs to be a bit stronger, you could let it trash anything, but only give VP tokens for trashed Victory cards: “You may trash a card from your hand. If it’s a Victory card, …”.

Underworld Gate
Could be swingy with cards like Ruins and Shelters in the game. On the other hand, self-trashing when a Victory card is gained counteracts to some extent. Could be interesting.

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 14, 2020, 01:52:28 am »
+1

About the Ways, I'm changing a few things, so I will answer after that. Thank you again for feedbacks.

This is just about the wording:

...choose one: Put it into your discard pile; or get +$1.
Looks interesting and versatile.

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 14, 2020, 02:38:51 am »

Gravedigger
This seems to simpler than the previous versions of Gravedigger. If it is trashing a Copper it doesn’t stay in play, right?
What is the idea behind the option to gain a cheaper (emphasis on cheaper) card from the trash? Is it to help accumulating cards of value in the trash or to keep the number of valuable cards in the trash low? After the initial Estates are gone, the best deal seems to be to have some Silvers in the deck (edge cases excluded). The Silvers can be played and then converted via trashing to +$3 for the next turn. Do you have a Silver gainer in your set?

Yes, I tried to make it simpler. Yes, the idea is to not stay in play when trashs a Copper. The idea of gaining a cheaper card is to make thash a more expensive card to be the only way to gain a card from the trash, so you have another motivation to trash cards in play. I changed the bonus to a Salvager next turn, which seems more effective and more easy to  to understand than previous sifting version. I don't have a Silver gaining in the set, it's a good suggestion.

Edit: I thought about this one shot Silver gainer. It also would be a cheap card to gain from trash with Gravedigger.

Sacred Hall
I think, “If you did” is not necessary, because it is self-explanatory that when you haven’t trashed that you don’t have a cost.
…in the trash (below line): “T” in lowercase (see for example Forager).
The VP value may fluctuate significantly in dependency of the presence of different Victory cards in a Kingdom, especially cheap ones, but I think it is okay. Bishop looks stronger as it can trash anything. If Sacred Hall needs to be a bit stronger, you could let it trash anything, but only give VP tokens for trashed Victory cards: “You may trash a card from your hand. If it’s a Victory card, …”.

Thank you for wording corrections, updated.

I also think it's ok the flutuation with Victories cards in Kingdom, something similar happens to Silk Road and Trade Route. The Action part is a more limited version of Bishop, but it also has the Victory part, so I think it's ok at . And the Action part does exactly what the Victory part needs.

Underworld Gate
Could be swingy with cards like Ruins and Shelters in the game. On the other hand, self-trashing when a Victory card is gained counteracts to some extent. Could be interesting.

I put the gaining conditioning to trash a new card to have an incentive to do it and to it be better for you than to your opponent. However, it also helps them, which I think counterbalance the bonus and reduce impact of eventual swingness. I think Ruins are inherently swingy (think about when Ruined Market is the only source of +Buy), but is more probable that the first of each goes to different players. About Shelters, you probably will trash them in first turns, when the cards gained are cheap.

I like very much your comments, they always help me a lot, thank you!
« Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 04:38:53 am by Carline »

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 14, 2020, 03:30:46 pm »
+1

Edit: I thought about this one shot Silver gainer. It also would be a cheap card to gain from trash with Gravedigger.

It fills some gaps in your set, but it looks a bit boring. I am not sure about the cost/balancing, but how about this:
Gain two Silvers. Trash this or a Silver from your hand.

Alternatively:
Gain two Silvers. Trash this or a Silver from you have in play.

Another thing: With so many cards and so many updates, it is not easy to figure out, which cards in your original post are actualized and if so, when. For example, I think I suggested to swap colors for Money Trick (yellow/blue; see Fool's Gold). Could you just give the date of the latest update below each card? That would be very helpful.

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 14, 2020, 05:01:48 pm »
+1

It fills some gaps in your set, but it looks a bit boring. I am not sure about the cost/balancing, but how about this:
Gain two Silvers. Trash this or a Silver from your hand.

Alternatively:
Gain two Silvers. Trash this or a Silver from you have in play.

Another thing: With so many cards and so many updates, it is not easy to figure out, which cards in your original post are actualized and if so, when. For example, I think I suggested to swap colors for Money Trick (yellow/blue; see Fool's Gold). Could you just give the date of the latest update below each card? That would be very helpful.

Thank you very much! I like your suggestions for Tiara. Updated to this, making gaining optional, so you can use it to trash Silvers withou gaining, if you want:

I updated all cards in the last three days, except the Ways and exactly Money Trick (the reason I didn't update it to change its colors yet is that it needs more work, since card Generator puts  a very large $ symbol and I have to edit on Corel).

For many of the cards, I just fixed the wording, following your suggestions. For others, I changed the card according to your comments and from other people.

I'll be very happy if you would comment the new versions. The ones below are the cards for which I changed something besides wording or art from original version.

For Buffoon I only added "non-Command" and for Shipmaster I only added "non-Duration". The rest have more significative changes from original.

For Secret Place, half of instructions are now in the mat. About the Ways, I'm working on changes.

And I added three new cards:

No one commented about these cards funcionalities, so I presume they are OK as cheap support cards:

For these two landscapes I also didn't have feedbacks up to now:

« Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 08:03:00 pm by Carline »

LittleFish

• Tactician
  • Respect: +188
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 14, 2020, 06:34:49 pm »
+1

No one commented about these cards funcionalities, so I presume they are OK as cheap support cards:

Maid looks fine, but I'm not good at balancing small things, so I'm probably not one to judge. Same with small village and minstrel. 

For Taverner, 2 buys may be too much, but I think that 1 buy would make the card too expensive. Maybe move the cost to 3 and give an additional vanilla bonus on play/on call?

Valkyries seeks okay

Tie to the ground could be renamed "restrain" to be less of a mouthful. Also, it should be "discards an Action card or reveals a hand without actions"

Alert seems a little weak for a 4 cost project.

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 14, 2020, 07:01:16 pm »

Maid looks fine, but I'm not good at balancing small things, so I'm probably not one to judge. Same with small village and minstrel. 

For Taverner, 2 buys may be too much, but I think that 1 buy would make the card too expensive. Maybe move the cost to 3 and give an additional vanilla bonus on play/on call?

Valkyries seeks okay

Tie to the ground could be renamed "restrain" to be less of a mouthful. Also, it should be "discards an Action card or reveals a hand without actions"

Alert seems a little weak for a 4 cost project.

I think the 2 Buys of Taverner are OK comparing to Squire, which also gives 2 buys and has other options. Taverner only can postpone these 2 buys to some future turn (at the price of not being played again until you use these buys).

I'll see about the landscapes.

Thank you!

Edited: Changed name to "Restrain" and fixed wording.

About Alert, I don't know, I think maybe it's OK. it is like play a Sentry without the trashing part. Comparing to other $4 Projects: Silos is Cellar limited to Coppers, Fair a Market Square.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 10:52:06 pm by Carline »

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 14, 2020, 07:31:22 pm »

I think I have to change something more. This way, you can always choose to trash a non-existent Silver from play and play your Silvers after that.

Edit: Changed to the version below. The on gain bonus make it a obvious buy than Silver? No, because are two stop cards instead of one. So, you have to want what it gives you at the cost of the slot in your hand (duplicate a played Silver or trash a played Silver).

« Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 10:53:09 pm by Carline »

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 15, 2020, 09:34:13 am »
+1

Wanderer
The double optional combination of Copper gaining/trashing looks a bit odd. A player can in principle gain a Copper to hand and then trash it immediately. Is there a reason to do it this way instead of “Choose one:…”? If yes, what about swapping the two parts (You may trash… You may gain…)?

Secret Place
For sure an interesting mechanic, but difficult to say how that will play out.
Wording (mat): drawing

Workers
(I first thought the order has to be: +1 Action, +$1, +1 Villager (standard Vanilla first), but when I looked to the official cards, I realized that there is an apparent inconsistency between those from Guilds and those from Renaissance, e.g. Candlestick Maker has +1 Coffers after +1 Buy; but for Ducat it is the opposite. This could be on purpose to emphasize with +1 Coffers first that Ducat is a Treasure. Well on the other hand, Patron has +1 Villager before +$2. It's the newer expansion; so it's likely correct on Workers as it is. (I am a bit confused about this).

Emissary/Coin of Honor
Coin of Honor: “When you play this” is not necessary on Treasures anymore: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=20551.0 (see 1st line under "Cosmetic changes").
 What is the idea of the self-trashing option for +$1?

Faithful Knight
tokens…

Buffon
Wording …(or shows they can’t). Even better is: …(or reveals they can’t). See e.g. Taxman, Villain, Raider.

Circus Camp
Might be a bit strong. I have a similar card that I will probably never show on the Forum. It gets the +2 Cards if a card costing $2 or more is discarded (it doesn’t have the +1 Buy), though perhaps my card is a bit weak.

Golden Spoils
Alternative wording (the effect might be a bit different in some cases): “If you have a Golden Spoils in play, +$2 and…

Immolater
This one can be really powerful under some circumstances.

Magic Library
Do you need the restriction to react only with one Magic Library? What is the idea behind it?

Marketplace
…or +$1. (full stop at the end).

Amazon
The cost is probably okay, but for the most expensive card of the set, it looks a bit boring.

Fruits/Fruit Mix
Maybe: “If this is worth at least $4, +2 Buys”.
“(counting this)” instead of (including this). See Bank.

Lending
Treasures
Wording suggestion: …this turn, instead of paying their cost in $, you may take…
If you already have Debt, does this card allow buying cards for Debt, i.e. does it override the “no buy when in Debt” rule?

Calmness
token on their decks. ("deck"; singular not plural).

Divination
At the end of this turn,…
Seems to be very expensive for what it does.

Birth of Venus
Looks like a Donate variant. Is it worth to have it in the set?

Season’s Grace
…turn your Journey token over... […] …face up, +2 Cards. See Ranger.

Touch of Life
When and how often does this happen after you bought the Project? If only once per game, it might be better if it is an Event.

Nurse
Set one of them aside.
…at the end of this turn. (“after drawing” not needed). See The River’s Gift.

Jugate
How about: …with a total cost of $7.
I cannot figure out when I would do this, maybe near the end to gain a Duchy and an Estate for $6. Is there any other application for this I don’t see? With a cost reducer maybe (which are quite rare)?
Can “Jugate” considered to be an Event (I am talking about the name)?

Minstrel
I don’t think you need "(if any)". Since you reveal the cards, if you don’t have enough Action cards, you just can’t do it. For example: If you reveal only 1 Action card, you put it into your hand. That’s it. No Action card left, the other two cards are discarded.

Valkyries
The Reaction part looks like a bad deal.

Tie to Ground
…card (or reveals they can’t). See e.g. Taxman, Villain, Raider.

Alert
No need to reveal the cards.
“…look at the top 2 cards of your deck. Discard any number of them and put the rest back [on top]* in any order. (~ wording of Sentry).
*I don’t think “on top” is really required. See Night Watchman.
Not the best name for a Project. Also some of the Events have names that do not sound like events.

I wonder whether you use some mechanics (something that happens at the end of this turn; gaining Horses), because you think they are required for a better interaction of the cards of the set, or whether it rather reflects a preference of what you like. It seems that you also have quite a lot of Treasure interaction. I don’t say any of these are bad, it is just an observation and I am curious about it.

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 15, 2020, 12:21:24 pm »
+1

Wanderer
The double optional combination of Copper gaining/trashing looks a bit odd. A player can in principle gain a Copper to hand and then trash it immediately. Is there a reason to do it this way instead of “Choose one:…”? If yes, what about swapping the two parts (You may trash… You may gain…)?

I answered this question to GendoIkari, see below. It's for edge cases, but if it looks a bit strange, maybe I should swap options.

Wanderer might be simpler though very slightly weaker if it were "choose one" with both options mandatory. It's a bit weird that now it gives you the choice to effectively just trash a Copper from the supply.

I could avoid this effect of trash a Cooper from the Supply by changing order of options. However, I want to keep this possibilty for the few cases you may would want it like with Forager, Treasurer, Priest, Tomb and Sewers or, in the case of this set, Underworld Gate, Gravedigger and the Heirloom Blessed Gems (maybe this effect could be too strong with Tomb, but something similar happens with Lurker and Tomb).

Emissary/Coin of Honor
Coin of Honor: “When you play this” is not necessary on Treasures anymore: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=20551.0 (see 1st line under "Cosmetic changes").

The self-trashing is to get rid of Emissary when you don't want it anymore, shomething we would like to see in Moneylender or Ambassador.

Circus Camp
Might be a bit strong. I have a similar card that I will probably never show on the Forum. It gets the +2 Cards if a card costing $2 or more is discarded (it doesn’t have the +1 Buy), though perhaps my card is a bit weak.

it started as a , without the +buy. Both segura and silverspawn comments were that it was too strong, comparing it to Fugitive. So I changed it to and added the +Buy that was originally in Emissary. I think maybe it's OK this way, it's Worker's Village plus Cellar in one card. As you discard before draw any card, you have to do it from a smaller set of cards, which I think could counterbalance its power.

Magic Library
Do you need the restriction to react only with one Magic Library? What is the idea behind it?

Without this restriction, you could draw a Magic Library when you play the Magic Library, react with this new Magic Library, draw a new one and at the end play all your Magic Libraries reacting to just one attack. This clause was the way I found to avoid this. 

Immolater
This one can be really powerful under some circumstances.

Amazon
The cost is probably okay, but for the most expensive card of the set, it looks a bit boring.

I think you're right about both. Maybe I change some things to make Immolater the most expensive card of the set.

Divination

It was cheaper, I change due to comments comparing it to Pursue.

Birth of Venus

I want a kind of reset buttom. I think this version plays different from Donate, you don't have free choice, you save the cards you have in play plus one card, so you have to manage to do it the best way. Thematically, this is the card which refers to set name, which is something I also like.

Touch of Life
When and how often does this happen after you bought the Project? If only once per game, it might be better if it is an Event.

Yes, maybe it would better be an event, like Inheritance.

Jugate
How about: …with a total cost of $7.
I cannot figure out when I would do this, maybe near the end to gain a Duchy and an Estate for $6. Is there any other application for this I don’t see? With a cost reducer maybe (which are quite rare)?
Can “Jugate” considered to be an Event (I am talking about the name)?

Besides the end game situation, which was intended and could be decisive, you could gain a and a Actions or a and a when you normally would buy a Gold. If I'm building an engine, there would be many situations I would prefer, for instance, a Village and a Smith than a Gold. In overall effect, It gives you + and +1 Buy, limited to this situation. About names, see below.

Minstrel
I don’t think you need "(if any)". Since you reveal the cards, if you don’t have enough Action cards, you just can’t do it. For example: If you reveal only 1 Action card, you put it into your hand. That’s it. No Action card left, the other two cards are discarded.

I know, i put this information just to make it clear. Somethink like the "(instead of your discard pile)" parentheses in Nights gained to hand. Maybe it's really not needed.

Valkyries

I think when you suffer a handsize Attack like Militia, Ghost Ship or Catapult, it's better to have a hand with Horse plus two cards than Valkyries plus two cards. The former gives you more chance to have a good turn. Anyway, the reaction is optional.

Alert
“…look at the top 2 cards of your deck. Discard any number of them and put the rest back [on top]* in any order. (~ wording of Sentry).
Not the best name for a Project. Also some of the Events have names that do not sound like events.

Please tell which names you don't think are OK. I don't know all the subtleties of English language. I know many names for events are deverbal words, but maybe I thought there's more freedom to derive verbs from names. For Projects, I don't know by seeing existing ones what is the criterion for names.

I wonder whether you use some mechanics (something that happens at the end of this turn; gaining Horses), because you think they are required for a better interaction of the cards of the set, or whether it rather reflects a preference of what you like. It seems that you also have quite a lot of Treasure interaction. I don’t say any of these are bad, it is just an observation and I am curious about it.

I put three cards that deal with Horses to have more interactions between them and justify more the presence of Horse pile when play IRL (for the opposite reason, I'm changing the only card in set that gave hexes in previous version). There's a lot of Nights, but all have a reason to be a Night. Yes, I was doing the cards with mechanics I like, maybe without a more systematic vision. I should deepen this analysis now.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH! 
« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 05:09:53 pm by Carline »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3189
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 15, 2020, 12:27:02 pm »
+1

Sorry if you've answered this before, but where do you get your artwork?

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 15, 2020, 12:41:10 pm »
+1

No, I didn't answer it before. For most of them, I write in Google the keyword I want plus "fantasy" and "art". Sometimes I use "painting".

Talking about this:

One thing that the majority of people here ignore: What about giving the source/name of the artists?

I'm intending to credit these wonderful artists in cards text. I didn't do it yet because it's hard sometimes, the source often also doesn't mention the artist. I'll do it as soon as I can. Even if it' is for non-commercial and very limited use, they deserve the mention.

A curiosity. For the split pile, I didn't find an image for Fruit Mix which matches the image I intended to use for Fruits. So, I cartoonized a photo using an image editing software.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 01:26:22 pm by Carline »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 15, 2020, 03:16:27 pm »

No, I didn't answer it before. For most of them, I write in Google the keyword I want plus "fantasy" and "art". Sometimes I use "painting".

I expected something else because that's similar to what I do, and I find it difficult to get good results. Maybe 'fantasy' is the keyword I'm missing.

How much time per card does this take, roughly?

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: December 15, 2020, 03:51:12 pm »
+1

I expected something else because that's similar to what I do, and I find it difficult to get good results. Maybe 'fantasy' is the keyword I'm missing.

How much time per card does this take, roughly?

Yes, I think "fantasy" helps, as  the most of the art relating to the universe of medieval games are classified as "fantasy art".

The time varies a lot. Sometimes I find a good image in first search, sometimes it takes more than half a hour and a lot of synonyms search. The secret is persistence. Maybe I spend more time than English speakers, because I also have to do additional searchs to find synoyms and compensate my poor vocabulary. 

When I find an image which aesthetic is close to what I want, but somehow it doesn't fits card space or still isn't the ideal image, I search for related images. 
« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 04:28:08 pm by Carline »

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 15, 2020, 04:39:25 pm »
+1

Wanderer

I answered this question to GendoIkari, see below. It's for edge cases, but if it looks a bit strange, maybe I should swap options.

Well, it is a $2 cost card. It doesn't have to cover edge cases.

Quote from: Carline
Emissary/Coin of Honor

The self-trashing is to get rid of Emissary when you don't want it anymore, shomething we would like to see in Moneylender or Ambassador.

There is a reason that some strong cards have a drawback. To make a card interesting does not necessarily mean that you give it all possible strength.

Divination

It was cheaper, I change due to comments comparing it to Pursue.

Don't forget you have to invest $4 for a one time event that is not too strong, even if you are lucky and name 2 or 3 of the card you want, which for strong card, is not expected. Just ask yourself under which conditions you would spend $4 for a single event.

Birth of Venus

I want a kind of reset buttom. I think this version plays different from Donate, you don't have free choice, you save the cards you have in play plus one card, so you have to manage to do it the best way. Thematically, this is the card which refers to set name, which something I also like.

Understandable.

Valkyries

I think when you suffer a handsize Attack like Militia, Ghost Ship or Catapult, it's better to have a hand with Horse plus two cards than Valkyries plus two cards. The former gives you more chance to have a good turn. Anyway, the reaction is optional.

How many hand size Attacks does your set have? Aside of that, maybe make the Reaction a bit stronger, for example set it aside and put it back to hand like Horse Trade does, let it cost $4. Just an idea.

Alert

Please tell which names you don't think are OK. I don't know all the subtleties of English language. I know many names for events are deverbal words, but maybe I thought there's more freedom to derive verbs from names. For Projects, I don't know by seeing existing ones what is the criterion for names.

You can name them like you want. I just thought finding a proper name would be nice. I don't know the subtleties of English either. I can only tell you how I try to find names for Event and Projects. So, my rule of thumb is simple: When something occurs it is an Event. When something can be build, it is a Project. Please keep in mind that several official Events/Projects don't fit to this, but at least if you use it this way, it will be probably appropriate. If you like, I can later look to the names and will tell you what I think about them.

I put three cards that deal with Horses to have more interactions between them and justify more the presence of Horse pile when play IRL (for the opposite reason, I'm changing the only card in set that gave hexes in previous version). There's a lot of Nights, but all have a reason to be a Night. Yes, I was doing the cards with mechanics I like, maybe without a more systematic vision. I should deepen this analysis now.

Don't worry. I was just curious. Nights and Horses are nice mechanics. I consider Night almost as a standard mechanic like Duration. Good that you removed a single card giving Hexes. That would be too much preparation in real life just for one card in the whole set.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

You are welcome!

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 15, 2020, 04:47:12 pm »
+1

One thing that the majority of people here ignore: What about giving the source/name of the artists?

I'm intending to credit these wonderful artists in cards text. I didn't do it yet because it's hard sometimes, the source often also doesn't mention the artist. I'll do it as soon as I can. Even if it' is for non-commercial and very limited use, they deserve the mention.

Good! Have you tried Google searches for the images? There are also other free web based tools that search for sources of images around. Sometimes, when you really can't find the artist, you could give the source (website).

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 15, 2020, 07:46:58 pm »

Valkyries

How many hand size Attacks does your set have? Aside of that, maybe make the Reaction a bit stronger, for example set it aside and put it back to hand like Horse Trade does, let it cost $4. Just an idea.

There's one handsize attack in the Ways set. Added "or topdeck" to reaction. I think it makes it a bit better and the card can still costs .

Added this card with discard Attack and two other things that would be good to have more on set, a Curser and Action money (I don't mind to have too many cards on set by now, I will playtest to see which of them works well).

Didn't have a Throne Room variant, so I made this. It's ok at $2?

Removed self trashing from Emissary and changed the Heirloom.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 12:57:45 am by Carline »

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 16, 2020, 03:28:02 am »
+1

Nightmare
This looks a bit weak when compared to other $5 cost Cursers. Maybe, add a +1 Buy to it, and remove it from Circus Camp, which seems to be strong enough without it.

Mirror
Looks okay at a first glance.

I just had a look at your Attack Ways.

Format/Wording:
Set aside…
In my understanding of non-Supply card, I would say you don’t need (better: you shouldn’t have) “This is not in the Supply”. All official non-Supply cards that do not form a pile (Heirlooms, Shelters, Zombies) do not have that. All non-Supply cards that form a pile (e.g. Spoils, Horse, Bat, Madman) have it (in parentheses).
Harpy: …with 4 or more cards in hand discards a card. See Soldier.
Medusa: …may discards (singular) a Curse. If they don’t, they gain… See Mountebank.

Concept:
The attacks (especially Harpy) can be really unfunny when Necropolis is in the game. Just imagine, the player who plays Necropolis first hits an opponent with 5 Coppers in their hand. How about restricting the Attacks, e.g.:
“If you have at least one other (Action) card in play, each other player…”

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 16, 2020, 03:54:12 am »
+1

Weak junkers are good. But I think Emissary has no good reason to be voluntary.

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 17, 2020, 10:01:46 am »

Weak junkers are good. But I think Emissary has no good reason to be voluntary.

I made it voluntary to avoid mandatory trashing when played by something like Ghost, Golem, Piazza or Citadel.

I think I nerfed it a bit much and it can give you . You gain and your opponents gain next turn for you to do a kind of Ambassador attack (limited to one card you get rid of).

« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 10:27:13 am by Carline »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 17, 2020, 12:48:43 pm »
+1

Official cards don't have 'you may' if there's no reason, see this comment. Of course, you don't have to adhere to every design principle of official cards, but some people want to.

I think the card is pretty strong now.

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 17, 2020, 01:06:43 pm »
+1

For the attack Ways, it just seems a little overkill to have 3 cards that do the "same", the only difference being which card is set aside / played. What if it was just one Way, and for the set aside part, it says "set aside one of x,y, or z" or give them a type and have it set aside one of those type (then maybe you can even have some other cards that interact with that type?)

Way of the Mermaid is strictly better than Pig; not that there are necessarily rules about avoiding strictly better ways, but it makes sense to try and do so.
Way of the Sphinx is probably too good (and strictly better than Pig); Wishing Well already exists as a card, this just makes any action you want into a Wishing Well.

I just had a look at your Attack Ways.

Format/Wording:
Set aside…
In my understanding of non-Supply card, I would say you don’t need (better: you shouldn’t have) “This is not in the Supply”. All official non-Supply cards that do not form a pile (Heirlooms, Shelters, Zombies) do not have that. All non-Supply cards that form a pile (e.g. Spoils, Horse, Bat, Madman) have it (in parentheses).
Harpy: …with 4 or more cards in hand discards a card. See Soldier.
Medusa: …may discards (singular) a Curse. If they don’t, they gain… See Mountebank.

Concept:
The attacks (especially Harpy) can be really unfunny when Necropolis is in the game. Just imagine, the player who plays Necropolis first hits an opponent with 5 Coppers in their hand. How about restricting the Attacks, e.g.:
“If you have at least one other (Action) card in play, each other player…”

Updated the Ways. Following the suggestion of Scolapasta, I made just one card (Way of the Beast) play all the attacks (adding by myself that makes it at random).

Added to the Way of the Beast the clause suggested by gambit05 to avoid play it by Necropolis in first turns. This clause also avoid an overdose of attacks.

With this clause and  the random play, there's less risk in their effect  be too strong. So, I added the attack part attack of an existent card to each Beast, except Sphynx:

- Gargoyle does Spy attack.
- Harpy does Militia attacck.
- Medusa does Witch attack.
- Quimera does Swindler attack.
- She-Wolf does Rabble attack (instead of Werewolf attack to avoid add Hexes to the set and don't have two random picks at the same play)

Sphynx attack is made to fit Sphynx tradition of "solve the riddle or I eat you".

About non-Attack Ways, I changed Way of the Mermaid to not be strictly better than Way of the Pig, as GendoIkari pointed. Though, in terms of game playing, it happens sometimes with Way of the Mouse, i agree it's more elegant if a Way doesn't be strictly better than other by default. Also added Way of the Birdwoman

Ways

Way of the Beast and Beasts set

« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 05:52:44 pm by Carline »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 17, 2020, 01:09:44 pm »
+1

Horse Lady shouldn't have a dividing line.

I'm pretty sure Way of the Birdwoman was tried during testing and didn't make the cut.

Way of the Centaur is too weak. It should be "Gain 2 Horses." That was tested and was fine, but it died for flavor reasons.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14  All

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 21 queries.