Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Can we get a play all supplies button?  (Read 5170 times)

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
  • DSF lowest ratio upvotes-posts 14 yrs & counting
  • Respect: +228
    • View Profile
Can we get a play all supplies button?
« on: December 01, 2020, 10:54:57 pm »
+1

Especially when people stack these all the time, it really slows the game to play them individually one at a time.

Oh and it's undervalued too.  Like it's better than silver. Probably should cost 3 too.
"Rap game Julio Franco, Chuck Norris, Texas Ranger/ Ice on my fingers look like I slap-boxed a penguin." -- Riff Raff Proverbs 4:20

"Sometimes I say some things people may think are just outlandish, but I'm going to have the last laugh." -- Riff Raff  Exodus 6:66

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10719
    • View Profile
Re: Can we get a play all supplies button?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2020, 09:20:04 am »
+7

Based on how slowly features are added to the online client, I wouldn't get your hopes up.

EDIT: I think the best solution would be an autoplay. If you turn it on, your Supplies get played automatically alongside your other Treasures (and if Supplies are your only Treasures, the button still appears). I'll try to remember to lobby for it next time a new expansion is being implemented, since that's when this sort of work tends to get done.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 09:22:05 am by LastFootnote »

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2020, 12:27:30 pm »

Based on how slowly features are added to the online client, I wouldn't get your hopes up.

EDIT: I think the best solution would be an autoplay. If you turn it on, your Supplies get played automatically alongside your other Treasures (and if Supplies are your only Treasures, the button still appears). I'll try to remember to lobby for it next time a new expansion is being implemented, since that's when this sort of work tends to get done.

Thanks! I wish there were more autoplays as they are really useful and fast.  Others I'd add off the cuff

Gladiator (auto reveal if in hand/auto don't reveal when not in hand
tunnel/market square-- auto gain gold when played

Actually this might make a neat thread which y'all could potentially draw from at the next Dominion Council of Elders. In my mind it probably looks something like this...

'
« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 12:32:41 pm by Honkeyfresh »
"Rap game Julio Franco, Chuck Norris, Texas Ranger/ Ice on my fingers look like I slap-boxed a penguin." -- Riff Raff Proverbs 4:20

"Sometimes I say some things people may think are just outlandish, but I'm going to have the last laugh." -- Riff Raff  Exodus 6:66

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1413
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2020, 01:08:06 pm »
+1

Ehm,no. There are situations in which you don’t want the Gold and situations in which order matters. For example you might not want to topdeck the Horse before you played Loan or Venture.

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2020, 02:27:05 pm »
+2

Ehm,no. There are situations in which you don’t want the Gold and situations in which order matters. For example you might not want to topdeck the Horse before you played Loan or Venture.

well in those cases you don't click the autoplay option.  8)

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1413
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2020, 02:53:06 pm »

The notion that lack of autoplay for one card is bad or delays the game is pretty dubious. Those few clicks can hardly take more time than reconsidering during all games whether there is a reason to deactivate autoplay due to Thrones or Remodelers.
Card games like Dominion are about a high frequency of microchoices. That is one of their main appeals. Taking away those choices is something I simply don’t get. I also tell people in over the board Dominion that there are good reasons to not automatically put down all your Treasures. Withholding information from the opponent can be sometimes beneficial.

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2020, 01:15:38 am »
+1

The notion that lack of autoplay for one card is bad or delays the game is pretty dubious. Those few clicks can hardly take more time than reconsidering during all games whether there is a reason to deactivate autoplay due to Thrones or Remodelers.
Card games like Dominion are about a high frequency of microchoices. That is one of their main appeals. Taking away those choices is something I simply don’t get. I also tell people in over the board Dominion that there are good reasons to not automatically put down all your Treasures. Withholding information from the opponent can be sometimes beneficial.

Then if this scenario arises rt click on supplies pile and turn "auto play suppies" to off.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2020, 10:21:05 am »
+1

Then if this scenario arises rt click on supplies pile and turn "auto play suppies" to off.

Agreed. Playing all of your Supplies is what you want to do 90% of the time, and having an autoplay available for that would be great.

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5138
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2020, 12:14:29 pm »

I think autoplay can definitely make people play worse (and new players should beware of enabling it too quickly). Especially tricky are those autoplays that happen when you are not aware that you would have had a choice because you're not currently in "choice-making" mode. (Mountebank triggers on the opponent's turn, Travellers exchange during cleanup).

But that doesn't really apply here, so I would have no problem with a Supplies autoplay.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2020, 01:23:28 pm »
+5

I think autoplay can definitely make people play worse (and new players should beware of enabling it too quickly). Especially tricky are those autoplays that happen when you are not aware that you would have had a choice because you're not currently in "choice-making" mode. (Mountebank triggers on the opponent's turn, Travellers exchange during cleanup).

But that doesn't really apply here, so I would have no problem with a Supplies autoplay.

I think that even in the cases where autoplay can easily make people play worse, it should still be available. Not everybody is striving to improve and climb the leaderboard. Lots of people just like playing Dominion and want to make fewer clicks.

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2020, 06:41:00 pm »

Especially when people stack these all the time, it really slows the game to play them individually one at a time.

Oh and it's undervalued too.  Like it's better than silver. Probably should cost 3 too.

I'm really surprised that with all the grammar hawks we have that no one said anything about this redundancy.

grrgrrgrr

• Explorer
  • Respect: +414
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2021, 11:53:15 am »

Speaking of autoplay, there should also be a way to make Moneylender not trash a Copper when you play it. I once lost a game because I needed a Moneylender and Copper in play to activate my Magic Lamp.

kieranmillar

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: kieranmillar
  • Respect: +352
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2021, 01:48:11 pm »
+2

Speaking of autoplay, there should also be a way to make Moneylender not trash a Copper when you play it. I once lost a game because I needed a Moneylender and Copper in play to activate my Magic Lamp.
This is already an autoplay option, but on by default. You can change it any time mid-game on a temporary basis (just for that game) by right-clicking on Moneylender, or on a permanent basis from your Options menu.

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1329
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2021, 02:01:49 pm »

This is already an autoplay option, but on by default. You can change it any time mid-game on a temporary basis (just for that game) by right-clicking on Moneylender, or on a permanent basis from your Options menu.

Did that change at some point?  Because I thought I remembered having to specifically turn that option on, but maybe I'm just misremembering
They/them

kieranmillar

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: kieranmillar
  • Respect: +352
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2021, 02:44:25 pm »

Did that change at some point?  Because I thought I remembered having to specifically turn that option on, but maybe I'm just misremembering
Oh you may well be right. It's probably originally turned off but I changed it to be on by default so long ago that I've forgotten what state it is in for new accounts.

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2021, 09:50:23 pm »

Just played a game with supplies and changling.  Wanted to gouge my eyes out with dull spoons, but thought that might be a little extreme.

By the way informal poll results are 100% of about 200+ people that all agree a "play all supplies" button is sorely lacking in the game.  One even said it was an odd and glaring oversight because of how well thought out and well designed everything else was...

:(

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2022, 03:22:57 pm »

In an unscientific poll, I have discussed this topic with literally over 1000 people, and not be of them has not said that this was a terrific idea. Well one guy said he didn't care.  But that was it.

Why was this not included in the new site upgrade.  This just seems a no brainer.

Wizard_Amul

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +214
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2022, 06:01:17 pm »
+1

Maybe Ingix would know if this is an issue, but I wonder if the fact that each Supplies gains a horse prevents an autoplay option from being possible--if you did autoplay supplies and there was something that was supposed to be triggered on when you gain something, then maybe the client would freeze up or crash. I can't think of any off the top of my head, but if there are any other autoplay options that involve multiple gains or buys, then presumably this wouldn't be an issue.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2107
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2022, 10:34:59 pm »
+2

I know I've missed Sauna's trashing due to autoplay.

Holger

• Minion
  • Respect: +455
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2022, 06:36:20 am »

I really dislike that the "Play all Treasures" button is mislabelled (at least in German; it might be a mistranslation). It doesn't play most of the kingdom treasures, after all, not even Supplies or Hoard that you practically always want to play.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1965
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2022, 05:41:17 pm »
+1

Yes, it would be nice to have a button that lets you play every card in the Supply. Right next to the win button would be a good place for it.

pst

• Minion
  • Respect: +906
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2022, 06:01:52 am »
+1

I would like a more general "play all of these cards with the same name" option. Often I want to play all my Silver or some other treasure for various reasons.
Maybe I want to buy some Grand Markets. Then I would do play-all-of-these on my Gold, Silver and maybe something else.
Another time I have a lot of treasures I am considering if one of my buys should be Farmland and trash a Gold. So play-all on Copper, Silver, but not on Gold.
Another time I'm manipulating which treasures to play because of a Haunted Woods played against me. Well, at least I'll play-all on my Copper while I am considering what next to do.
Etc.

There could be a play-all-of-these symbol in the corner of a the rightmost card of that name in your hand.

The easiest and most useful would be to have this for Treasures, but it could certainly be useful for Actions and Nights as well. Say begin your turn with play-all on Alchemists. (The play-all shouldn't just be about those you had in your hand when you started, but instead play-all should mean continue to play a card with that name from your hand as long as you can, which would include newly draw ones.) Of course this wouldn't always be the right thing to do, but often, and then you could save time with the feature.

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2022, 09:02:02 pm »

I would like a more general "play all of these cards with the same name" option. Often I want to play all my Silver or some other treasure for various reasons.
Maybe I want to buy some Grand Markets. Then I would do play-all-of-these on my Gold, Silver and maybe something else.
Another time I have a lot of treasures I am considering if one of my buys should be Farmland and trash a Gold. So play-all on Copper, Silver, but not on Gold.
Another time I'm manipulating which treasures to play because of a Haunted Woods played against me. Well, at least I'll play-all on my Copper while I am considering what next to do.
Etc.

There could be a play-all-of-these symbol in the corner of a the rightmost card of that name in your hand.

The easiest and most useful would be to have this for Treasures, but it could certainly be useful for Actions and Nights as well. Say begin your turn with play-all on Alchemists. (The play-all shouldn't just be about those you had in your hand when you started, but instead play-all should mean continue to play a card with that name from your hand as long as you can, which would include newly draw ones.) Of course this wouldn't always be the right thing to do, but often, and then you could save time with the feature.

I like this idea too! like maybe if you hold 2 seconds down on a treasure or card.  This would be useful when preplay options will need two of a card to be played too.

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 21 queries.