Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Villa's gain effect.  (Read 1694 times)

DaveS

• Steward
  • Respect: +10
    • View Profile
Villa's gain effect.
« on: November 05, 2020, 10:39:12 am »

I don't find this Villa rule all that clear:"Villa visits the discard pile before being put in your hand. This means that when you gain it with a card like Artificer (which changes gain location), Villa will visit the top of your deck before going into your hand. If you react Villa by a card like Watchtower (which moves cards after gaining them), you will have a choice between the multiple destinations. Replace or Summon try to move but lose track of Villa after it goes into your hand, so you can’t topdeck it or set it aside."

Suppose you have Watchtower and Sheepdog in hand and gain a Villa. All 3 effects trigger at the same time and player gets to choose which to apply first, yes?

Does Villa lose track of itself if Watchtower trashes or topdecks the Villa. Or if Sheepdog causes a shuffle?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
Re: Villa's gain effect.
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2020, 10:46:10 am »
+2

I don't find this Villa rule all that clear:"Villa visits the discard pile before being put in your hand. This means that when you gain it with a card like Artificer (which changes gain location), Villa will visit the top of your deck before going into your hand. If you react Villa by a card like Watchtower (which moves cards after gaining them), you will have a choice between the multiple destinations. Replace or Summon try to move but lose track of Villa after it goes into your hand, so you can’t topdeck it or set it aside."

Suppose you have Watchtower and Sheepdog in hand and gain a Villa. All 3 effects trigger at the same time and player gets to choose which to apply first, yes?

Does Villa lose track of itself if Watchtower trashes or topdecks the Villa. Or if Sheepdog causes a shuffle?

Yes, you basically have it correct. The timing of Villa's on-gain go-to-hand ability is the same as Watchtower's and Sheepdog's timing; they all happen after the gain is complete meaning that the Villa is now in the discard pile (or the place it was gained to if it was a different place, like with Artificer). The difference is that Artificer says that you "gain a card onto your deck", which is different than saying "when you gain the card , put it onto your deck".

And yes a card can lose track of itself (really it's stop-moving, not lose-track now). The stop-moving rule says that Villa can't be first moved by Watchtower and then moved again by Villa. The abilities of Sheepdog, Villa, and Watchtower are all expecting the card to be in the default gain location (normally the discard pile), but once you use any of those abilities in a way that moves the Villa, the other abilities cannot move it again.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

DaveS

• Steward
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2020, 12:01:19 am »

Thanks GendoIkari.

Another question regarding Villa: if I gain it during another player's turn, I get the + Action. When I my turn begins, do I still have the extra action?

The rule states: "If you gain this during another player's turn, you will put the Villa into your hand and get +1 Action, but will have no way to use that Action, since it is not your turn."

That seems to imply that my action count resets to 1 at the start of my turn.  The turn description states: "At the start of their turn, a player is given 1 Action and 1 Buy."

I find this all a bit ambiguous or at least not nearly as clear as it could be.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1384
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2020, 12:24:17 am »
+3

Another question regarding Villa: if I gain it during another player's turn, I get the + Action. When I my turn begins, do I still have the extra action?
No. Actions, Coins and Buys get reset at the end of a turn, even an opponent's turn.

(There *are* scenarios where the +Action can matter, but they require Way of the Mouse, Diadem, an Action that can be played on an opponent's turn, and some ways to play Treasures off the Mouse Action.)
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1642
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2020, 11:03:32 am »

And yes a card can lose track of itself (really it's stop-moving, not lose-track now).

Whether the rule is called lose-track or stop-moving, it's still about both things: abilities losing track of cards and those cards not moving.

DaveS

• Steward
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2020, 12:26:28 pm »

No. Actions, Coins and Buys get reset at the end of a turn, even an opponent's turn.

(There *are* scenarios where the +Action can matter, but they require Way of the Mouse, Diadem, an Action that can be played on an opponent's turn, and some ways to play Treasures off the Mouse Action.)

Thanks Jack.
I don't doubt at all that you're correct, but where is the rule stated that "Actions, Coins and Buys get reset at the end of a turn, even an opponent's turn."?  I've only seen rules on this in the Turn and Gameplay pages where it says at the start of turn, player is "given" or "receives" 1 Action.

FYI, I'm writing my own app to play and so getting things like this exactly correct is important.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2020, 12:34:20 pm by DaveS »

Wizard_Amul

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +217
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2020, 12:44:10 pm »

Thanks Jack.
I don't doubt at all that you're correct, but where is the rule stated that "Actions, Coins and Buys get reset at the end of a turn, even an opponent's turn."?  I've only seen rules on this in the Turn and Gameplay pages where it says at the start of turn, player is "given" or "receives" 1 Action.

FYI, I'm writing my own app to play and so getting things like this exactly correct is important.

Bottom of page 5 under clean-up phase: https://www.riograndegames.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Dominion-2nd-Edition-Rules.pdf

"Any unused +Actions, unused +Buys, or unspent coins that you had left are gone; you start each turn fresh."

I don't believe that the "even an opponent's turn" is actually explicitly stated in the physical rule books anywhere. There have been relevant discussions on these forums somewhere because of Caravan Guard's wording and Way of the Mouse, but I don't remember what was determined.

LittleFish

• Tactician
  • Respect: +188
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2020, 10:44:15 pm »

As in with black market, where the +1 Action with diadem helps you afford the cards in the black market.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 21 queries.