Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Nocturne advice  (Read 2054 times)

Aureustgo

• Herbalist
  • Shuffle iT Username: Aureustgo
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
Nocturne advice
« on: November 03, 2020, 12:11:31 pm »

I was thinking of picking up some Nocturne cards and adding them to my loose-leaf, random set (https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1569989/my-dominion-original-box-storage-base-3-expansions). The thing is, Nocturne comes with a number of distinct mechanics, and I probably can only fit (or want) one of them.

I'm open to ideas or feedback. I'm thinking about one of these two options:

1. Night + Spirit cards. Donald X. seems to suggest that's a doable, standalone mechanic. Looking at the rankings, these tend to be viewed favorably by the community - a lot of the other Nocturne cards, not so much. As an aside: would Exorcist be heavily affected if, for example, only Will-o-wisps and Imps were available?

2. Heirlooms, their related kingdom cards, and boons. I liked the heirlooms from my limited online play, but boons tended to be a little too random. Well, at least they played quicker than Hexes. Part of me thinks these cards aren't "nocturne" enough.

Thanks.

William Howard Taft

• Bishop
  • Respect: +145
    • View Profile
Re: Nocturne advice
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2020, 12:31:17 am »
+5

Ignore the negative hype. Nocturne remains in my top 3 favorite expansions.

There's no need to change Exorcist or any of the other cards. For playability, avoid Druid and Fool IRL because they're unwieldy. Remove all the Doom and Fate cards if you hate luck, but Pixie/Goat is crazy fun so you'll be missing out.

Nocturne is incredible. It's based off of Celtic folklore so if you lean into crazy magic, sometimes a Leprechaun grants you a wish and it's amazing and your opponents complain. But who cares? It's awesome, and the crazy magic cards aren't so amazing that you'll just win for no reason.

I've found that casual Dominion players hate Nocturne because the Night cards play like action cards except after the buy phase. It's a subtle rule change but it messes people up at first so it's hard to strategize. These players then decide to just avoid Night cards and they lose, because a lot of the Night cards are great. Den of Sin especially.

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2020, 12:31:10 pm »
+2

Nocturne is a fun set, but isn't great for physical card storage. I think Night cards are the best mechanic to include if you want a new mechanic but are limited in storage space, as most of them don't require any extra piles (or at least, fewer of them require extra piles than with other mechanics in that expansion). Exorcist requires all three Spirits, Devil's Workshop requires just one of the Spirits (Imp), and Vampire requires Bat and Hexes (which Werewolf also requires). Other than that, I think there are 8 or 9 Night cards which don't require you to store any extra piles.
Hydrogen Helium Lithium Beryllium Boron Carbon Nitrogen Oxygen Fluorine Neon Sodium

Aureustgo

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2020, 02:32:25 pm »

Exorcist requires all three Spirits, Devil's Workshop requires just one of the Spirits (Imp), and Vampire requires Bat and Hexes (which Werewolf also requires).
Perfect, thanks. I guess then I'll pick up DW, Exorcist, Monastery, and a few others. Would not having all the spirits make Exorcist too weak?

I like the idea of picking up Vampire too, but the Hexes (and States) seem like a lot of added effort and physical outlay for just one (or two) cards. I'll see what space I have left.

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2020, 02:42:29 pm »
+1

Exorcist will be basically the same power level with just Wisps and Imps.

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2020, 02:57:43 pm »
+1

I'd take Goat, Pasture, Pouch, Cursed Gold, and Lucky Coin without taking the corresponding action cards. Randomly mix one into a game to spice it up.

William Howard Taft

• Bishop
  • Respect: +145
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2020, 01:35:40 am »

Would not having all the spirits make Exorcist too weak

I guess I don't understand why you're so intent on changing the card.

There's only 6 Ghosts max and they're not easy to get. Why do you need to get rid of it?

Aureustgo

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2020, 06:44:38 pm »
+1

Thanks for all the feedback! The Nocturne cards just arrived (M, NW, Exorcist, DW, Changeling, GT and DOS) filling out my set. I had to economize on ghosts due to lack of availability, but scored the other spirits.

(For those interested, and yes this is another storage-solution-for-dominion post, but this fits "all" expansions into one box, favoring higher ranking cards, alt-vp, and some cards with niche impact. Random kingdoms. Tokens stored separately.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1B5hz1NlOpuH3AZOczzSyvxc64t1vYXYh/view?usp=drivesdk).
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 21 queries.