Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: Minor note about new printings  (Read 34874 times)

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
Re: Minor note about new printings
« Reply #50 on: November 02, 2020, 11:43:02 am »
+3

I don't understand why the infinite loop of trader/forum/cost reduction no longer works? The forum still goes back into the pile and you still get the buy back.

You can't Exchange once the Silver pile is empty, so now you can only do it as many times as there are Silver remaining.

ben_king

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: ben.king
  • formerly grsbmd
  • Respect: +612
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2020, 09:43:11 am »
+3

One of the issues with the old wording on Noble Brigand is that the when-buy trigger is part of the on-play text, and the on-play text should be activated each time you play the card, while text under the line is always active.  "When you do X" phrases in the on-play text usually set up events that will be triggered in the future, such as the "when you gain a card" event in Cargo Ship.  The "When you play this" gets resolved immediately, as it does with treasures that use that wording, but there's a remaining "When you buy this" in the on-play text.  So there's a potential interpretation that says that every time you play a Noble Brigand, you're setting up a future "when you buy this" event that will be triggered if you ever bought the card.

Now ordinarily you can't buy a card you are already playing, but suppose that you've used Band of Misfits to play the top Noble Brigand in the pile multiple times this turn.  If you then buy that top Noble Brigand later in the turn, then under one possible interpretation, you might get to do the attack multiple times.  Now, are there people who are interpreting it that way?  I dont know.  Probably not, but the text was ambiguous and didn't follow the convention used in the rest of the game.

In the new version, the ambiguity comes from "What parts count as the attack?", and that's a lot easier to state in the FAQ than a clarification for what I wrote above.

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2020, 12:35:45 pm »
+1

One of the issues with the old wording on Noble Brigand is that the when-buy trigger is part of the on-play text, and the on-play text should be activated each time you play the card, while text under the line is always active.  "When you do X" phrases in the on-play text usually set up events that will be triggered in the future, such as the "when you gain a card" event in Cargo Ship.  The "When you play this" gets resolved immediately, as it does with treasures that use that wording, but there's a remaining "When you buy this" in the on-play text.  So there's a potential interpretation that says that every time you play a Noble Brigand, you're setting up a future "when you buy this" event that will be triggered if you ever bought the card.

Now ordinarily you can't buy a card you are already playing, but suppose that you've used Band of Misfits to play the top Noble Brigand in the pile multiple times this turn.  If you then buy that top Noble Brigand later in the turn, then under one possible interpretation, you might get to do the attack multiple times.  Now, are there people who are interpreting it that way?  I dont know.  Probably not, but the text was ambiguous and didn't follow the convention used in the rest of the game.

In the new version, the ambiguity comes from "What parts count as the attack?", and that's a lot easier to state in the FAQ than a clarification for what I wrote above.

That's not really true. The play ability is whatever follows "when you play this", and doesn't include "when you buy this":

"When you play this" (certain Treasures) - what follows is the play ability.
"When you buy this" (Mint, Farmland...) - what follows is the when-buy ability.
"When you play or buy this" - what follows is the play ability and the when-buy ability.

If you interpret the play ability to include "when you buy this", then it should also include "when you play this", making it an immediate infinite loop, and all similarly phrased Treasures too. Not exactly intuitive or plausable.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10736
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2020, 05:51:51 pm »
+1

That's not really true. The play ability is whatever follows "when you play this", and doesn't include "when you buy this":

"When you play this" (certain Treasures) - what follows is the play ability.
"When you buy this" (Mint, Farmland...) - what follows is the when-buy ability.
"When you play or buy this" - what follows is the play ability and the when-buy ability.

If you interpret the play ability to include "when you buy this", then it should also include "when you play this", making it an immediate infinite loop, and all similarly phrased Treasures too. Not exactly intuitive or plausable.

He's talking about interpreting the card in the same way you interpret all other action cards; that when you play the card, you do everything it says. So a card that says "at the start of your next turn" sets up a future event to trigger at a specific time, and in the same way "when you play or buy this" would also set up a future event to trigger at a specific time.

It wouldn't cause an infinite loop, because the actual instruction you follow immediately would only be to set up a trigger. Like a Duration card that did nothing at all when you played it, and only had a "at the start of next turn" part. But the "future event" in this case would happen basically immediately, because you did just play the card. So you would follow the "when you play this" instructions because "when you play this" has now triggered. But in the same way, playing the card would also set up a "when you buy this" trigger... if you interpreted the card the same way that other actions are interpreted, then "when you buy this" is an instruction you only follow when you play the card.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Jeebus

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2020, 07:15:13 pm »
+2

I understood what he meant. But I see that I drew the wrong conclusion about the infinite loop. What would happen is that you activate a "when you play this" ability, and it would behave in the same way as he describes the when-buy ability behaving. (Neither say "next time", they say "when" which means "each time".) It would be triggered each time you play the card for the rest of the game. So the first time you play it, it would trigger. The next time you play it, you would activate another ability, and both would trigger, so you would do the attack twice. Next time, three times, etc. You would have to somehow track each copy though, which is impossible, making the card's instructions impossible to follow. The same would be true of the when-buy ability by the way, if you or any player buys it again (after you return it with Ambassador).

By this interpretation, all Treasures that say "when you play this" would also be impossible to play.

Sparafucile

• Thief
  • Respect: +153
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2021, 03:29:39 pm »
+1

Is there any way for me to obtain the changed cards without re-buying these expansions?   I like keeping my dominion collection current - but it seems wasteful to rebuy the whole expansion

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1965
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2021, 04:41:58 pm »
+1

Am I the only one wondering why trashing a yellow Curse for your opponents is considered an attack?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25650
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2021, 12:10:10 pm »
+3

Is there any way for me to obtain the changed cards without re-buying these expansions?   I like keeping my dominion collection current - but it seems wasteful to rebuy the whole expansion
Some more copies of the update packs are being printed. I don't have dates or anything more there. The update packs are just the new cards. The intention is not to keep them in print, as in the long run, everyone should have them who wanted them, and people buying the new editions don't need them.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 12, 2021, 11:34:09 am »
+1

OP updated with more wording tweaks.

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
  • DSF lowest ratio upvotes-posts 14 yrs & counting
  • Respect: +228
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 14, 2021, 02:49:33 pm »

Am I the only one wondering why trashing a yellow Curse for your opponents is considered an attack?

I'm confused.  Which side of the "how the hell s a masquerade not an attack" debate are you on...
"Rap game Julio Franco, Chuck Norris, Texas Ranger/ Ice on my fingers look like I slap-boxed a penguin." -- Riff Raff Proverbs 4:20

"Sometimes I say some things people may think are just outlandish, but I'm going to have the last laugh." -- Riff Raff  Exodus 6:66

Dominionaer

• Golem
  • Respect: +66
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 19, 2021, 07:07:43 am »
+1

Add to Star Chart FAQ:

You can also look at any cards about to be drawn, that aren't being shuffled, while deciding.
Just noticed this little piece. Do i interpret correctly SC now has same handling as Stash (revised version). So when shuffling i may look at remaining deck. E.g. at end of turn for drawing next hand when there are only e.g 3 cards in deck, then i may look through them, then look through discard and choose which card goes on top of shuffeled cards based on knowledge of what the 3 cards of old deck are?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 19, 2021, 11:37:10 am »

Add to Star Chart FAQ:

You can also look at any cards about to be drawn, that aren't being shuffled, while deciding.
Just noticed this little piece. Do i interpret correctly SC now has same handling as Stash (revised version). So when shuffling i may look at remaining deck. E.g. at end of turn for drawing next hand when there are only e.g 3 cards in deck, then i may look through them, then look through discard and choose which card goes on top of shuffeled cards based on knowledge of what the 3 cards of old deck are?
If there are 3 cards in your deck, you can look at them, then look through your discard pile and choose which card to put on top.

Jeebus

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 19, 2021, 11:55:52 am »

Add to Star Chart FAQ:

If there are 3 cards in your deck, you can look at them, then look through your discard pile and choose which card to put on top.

So that means that Star Chart also gets errata like Stash, to add the phrase "you may look through your remaining deck"?

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10719
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 19, 2021, 02:57:34 pm »

Add to Star Chart FAQ:

So that means that Star Chart also gets errata like Stash, to add the phrase "you may look through your remaining deck"?

I could be wrong, but I believe the opposite is true. Stash should no longer need that clause.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 19, 2021, 03:03:22 pm »
+1

Add to Star Chart FAQ:

I could be wrong, but I believe the opposite is true. Stash should no longer need that clause.

Other than the FAQ on Star Chart, is there a new rule written somewhere that explains this? Seems like it would require some weird wording to get it to work correctly.

*Edit* Unless it's just universally true now that you can look at your remaining cards whenever you shuffle; even if you aren't about to decide something like Stash or Star Chart.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 03:23:58 pm by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 19, 2021, 05:00:19 pm »

*Edit* Unless it's just universally true now that you can look at your remaining cards whenever you shuffle; even if you aren't about to decide something like Stash or Star Chart.

I think this is the case, but again, don't hold me to that.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 19, 2021, 06:28:18 pm »

Would this change eliminate all differences between the old/original shuffle rule and the second edition shuffle rule? I can’t remember if there was anything other than Star Chart that made it different.

At least 2 years ago, Star Chart was the only thing: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=19853
« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 06:31:06 pm by GendoIkari »

Jeebus

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 25, 2021, 06:27:51 am »
+1

Donald, can you confirm this?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 25, 2021, 12:06:42 pm »
+3

Donald, can you confirm this?
Yes, you can just look at those cards, though it doesn't matter without an effect like Star Chart.

Jeebus

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 25, 2021, 12:25:09 pm »
+1

Yes, you can just look at those cards, though it doesn't matter without an effect like Star Chart.

So with this new rule, I guess Stash will drop "you may look through your remaining deck"? It's misleading in certain situations anyway, namely when you shuffle your deck (with Inn etc.).

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 26, 2021, 11:41:57 am »
+3

So with this new rule, I guess Stash will drop "you may look through your remaining deck"? It's misleading in certain situations anyway, namely when you shuffle your deck (with Inn etc.).
I haven't looked at Stash's wording; when the promo cards are next being reprinted I'll look at it, but it sounds like it can get simpler.

TMDaines

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 25, 2021, 04:28:33 am »

Some more copies of the update packs are being printed. I don't have dates or anything more there. The update packs are just the new cards. The intention is not to keep them in print, as in the long run, everyone should have them who wanted them, and people buying the new editions don't need them.

Someone on Reddit highlighted that the German version of Dominion: Empires is being reprinted labelled as a second edition – and it comes without metal VP coins, instead having cardboard chits. https://www.amazon.de/Rio-Grande-Games-22501422-Erweiterung-Empires/dp/B096BNW84H#immersive-view_1629887704237

Is this change coming for  all the future reprints of Empires  in the English language too? If so, are the other expansions going to receive the same treatment?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2021, 06:36:20 am by TMDaines »

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 25, 2021, 11:02:06 am »
+3

There are no plans to abandon the metal in the English printings.

TMDaines

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 25, 2021, 05:34:10 pm »

That’s good to hear!

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 26, 2021, 10:48:04 am »
+1

If memory serves, the German version of Empires always used cardboard. It was too expensive to produce otherwise.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 20 queries.