Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Solo Challenge 8 - A Spandau Ballet Tribute  (Read 4915 times)

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
Solo Challenge 8 - A Spandau Ballet Tribute
« on: March 25, 2012, 08:44:04 am »
+1

Howdy All!

Your mission, should you choose to accept it:

Victory: Win the game in the fewest turns.
Conditions: You must run the gold pile out on your last turn
Colony and Platinum allowed: Yes
Kingdom: Tunnel, Explorer, Treasure Map, Transmute, Great Hall, Hoard, Island, Oracle, Trade Route, Festival
Bonus Point: This ones a secret
Time Limit: This is a big one I feel, so you have until 10pm Tuesday 27th March

Please send your entries to me with Solo Challenge 8 and X Turns in the title so its easy for me to read thanks

Thoughts of Ozle X: Been planning something like this for a while, and it also running out treasures came up in a couple of the suggested idea's, but im not wanting any treasures, i want GOLD! This group originally had Adventurer in it, then I realised that would make Tunnel waaay too easy, so I took it out a replaced it with Oracle for some card draw and a weaker discard. I don't think allows for mega turns really, but it does allow for high money turns with all those victory cards and trade routes. Have fun! I have always thought Exporer is junk, so kudos to anyone that uses it! (But its not the bonus)

Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Rabid

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Rabid
  • Respect: +643
    • View Profile
Re: Solo Challenge 8 - A Spandau Ballet Tribute
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 09:34:36 am »

Tunnel, Explorer, Treasure Map, Transmute, Great Hall, Hoard, Island, Oracle, Trade Route, Festival, Colony
Twitch
1 Day Cup #1:Ednever

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 11:31:36 am »

Cheers

(just putting this one above the previous in case people miss it)

Asklepios

• Duke
  • Respect: +116
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 04:26:19 am »

Wouldn't it make sense to say what the bonus is? Otherwise its pretty much random whether someone is able to get it or not.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 05:33:34 am »

Wouldn't it make sense to say what the bonus is? Otherwise its pretty much random whether someone is able to get it or not.
Part of the fun aye?

Havent participated yet but this is a fun fun concept, good job hosting these Ozle.

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 05:46:58 am »

Or, as I like to call it 'thinking outside the box'

If the bonus would make it harder to get a faster time overall then I usually announce it, sometimes it will be for something kooky that isn't announced or everyone will do it, and sometimes it's sheet randomness. You don't get free bonus points for nothing on my watch! (this ain't no Mario Kart!)

That's just the way I operate I'm afraid!

Asklepios

• Duke
  • Respect: +116
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 09:52:37 am »

Cool beans.

Alright, after messing around with this all morning, I've gone from one idea (which instinct told me was the best approach) to another to another, and finally ended up trying something almost randomly which has ended up 8 turns faster than my first idea.

Which kind of goes to show just how bad my instincts are.

Hopefully I shall do better this time than the last challenge though!

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 10:41:02 am »

I decided to enter.

I wonder if my solution comes close to any of the experts here.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 05:10:46 pm »

Entries are now closed. I think people are going to be in for a surprise here....

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012, 05:30:46 pm »

So, this was a shock, lots of new people entering, and stealing a march on the old guard (and by old guard I mean from about two days ago!)

Now when you look at these results, don't be too disheartened, as most people got in the range of 23-30!

So, without further ado, the first new name on our scoreboard, with 17 turns!
MAZWA!        http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201203/26/game-20120326-001859-09b95688.html

And then in second place, our second board virgin....with an impressive 16 turns!
Tmoiy!           http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201203/27/game-20120327-060749-ccc9b16f.html

And coming in, one turn earlier, adding to his bonus point from last turn out. And also it should be noted, gaining all 30 golds on the last turn of 15(!!!)
GigaKnight!    http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201203/25/game-20120325-212227-4791a4e5.html

Bonus Point: None of you got it, one person can close by the looks of it, but didnt. Am saving it for another round.

So, the Leaderboard now looks like this:

Fate: 14
Jonts26: 13
CHWhite: 11
DG: 11
Magnetar: 8
RisingJaguar:   7
Thisisnotasmile: 6
Wandering Winder 3
Rabid: 5
GigaKnight 4
Razzishi 4
Tmoiy 2
jtotheonah  2
TitanDrake  2
Voltaire: 1
Lespute: 1
kn1tt3r  1
Tossk  1
philosophyguy 1
Stompy 1
Mazwa 1

Next round will be posted tomorrow and last till Saturday and will be called - Build Your Own Kingdom!

Tmoiy

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2012, 08:46:30 pm »

Thought I'd give this one a shot, and I found that I really enjoyed figuring out what the proper strategy had to be and then optimizing it. Looks like it all worked out, although I might have been able to shave a turn by not overbuilding the deck. Being forced to play a Festival / Oracle deck was quite an experience; and it was really challenging to keep focused and not screw up with Oracle. I lost at least two games that way while trying to get below 18...

Many props for running these, Ozle!

Fate

• Swindler
  • Respect: +10
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2012, 09:50:02 pm »

Well played.  I had a very similar strategy, but looks like I wasted too many early turns on trade routing everything.

GigaKnight

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +54
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2012, 10:27:50 pm »
+1

Awesome!  :) I've been waiting for the results on this because, while I did get incredibly lucky, I also had to work pretty hard for it and I wanted to point out some things I learned.

1) It quickly dawned on me that Trade Routes cannibalize themselves, so I needed just enough to trash the junk and then I needed a fodder card for the final round (when I couldn't afford to trash a Hoard).  Notice that I play the Great Hall for nothing on 14 so I'll be able to trash it on turn 15 for exactly 10 buys.
2) I was initially determined to buy a Great Hall on turn 3 for a $2 Trade Route into a Festival on Turn 4 but was playing it out anyway.  In retrospect, I think another Trade Route to start is way better than the Festival as long as they don't collide.  And with some shuffle luck I get to play one trade route on turn 6 and then 2 Trade Routes on turn 7.
3) I decided that buying a Tunnel to make Trade Routes worth $3 was a trap.  The extra turn was too expensive for the extra $1 or $2 per round from playing them (plus you really, really want to trash that Tunnel early on and Trade Route trashing is already so slow).  But the fact that second place bought a Tunnel and finished at 16 turns may mean I was wrong here.
4) Speaking of traps, any time I bought a Hoard before the penultimate turn, I regretted it because it either disrupted this delicate engine or it prevented me from playing Trade Routes.  Learned that one pretty quickly.
5) But seriously, OMG the shuffle luck.  Look at how many times the Oracles drew Festival + Oracle on the final turn.  Also notice how I blindly throw away double Festival because I need more card draw and I get it.  Exactly the right cards with exactly the right number of buys; my previous best before this run was 18 turns.  I'd be really impressed if this can be done faster and I fully acknowledge the luck involved! :)

I'm learning so much from attempting these puzzles.  Thanks again for doing this Ozle; I look forward to the next one!
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 20 queries.