Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Comedic Easter Egg for dominion  (Read 2079 times)

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
  • DSF lowest ratio upvotes-posts 14 yrs & counting
  • Respect: +228
    • View Profile
Comedic Easter Egg for dominion
« on: October 24, 2020, 04:33:08 pm »

Was playing a Bandit fort game where I played a Fortune Teller that led to a huge card discard.  I wanted to count the cards so I looked back at the text and saw this little gem.  Well played.  ;)  Are there more of these that I have never seen before?

;

"Rap game Julio Franco, Chuck Norris, Texas Ranger/ Ice on my fingers look like I slap-boxed a penguin." -- Riff Raff Proverbs 4:20

"Sometimes I say some things people may think are just outlandish, but I'm going to have the last laugh." -- Riff Raff  Exodus 6:66

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +868
    • View Profile
    • Geronimoo's Dominion Simulator
Re: Comedic Easter Egg for dominion
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2020, 05:05:59 pm »
+3

?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2020, 10:24:32 am »
+1

?

Guessing he’s talking about the word “finally”. Assuming that isn’t there normally when multiple cards are revealed, but only when it’s a lot?

And assuming he meant Vampire/War instead of Fortune Teller.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2020, 10:31:41 am by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Shvegait

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +93
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2020, 01:30:03 pm »
+4

But isn't the word "finally" there just to make clear that the Silver was the last card revealed which stopped the revealing of additional cards, because the other cards listed are not shown in the order they were revealed? I don't think it's supposed to be for comedic effect... It's striking a balance between readability and clarity of the game rules. It's important that Silver was the last card revealed, whereas the preceding list could have been in any order without making a difference.

Grammatically, it's a bit awkward to say "...2 Coppers and a Bat and finally Silver", but it's probably two separate routines. One that takes the list of all cards except the one that triggers the end of the search, giving the output "3 Fisherman, ... and a Bat", and a separate one for the last card on its own, "and finally Silver". This probably had more to do with it being easier to program this way than trying to make it funny (if this is even considered funny).

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2020, 08:39:32 pm »

?

Guessing he’s talking about the word “finally”. Assuming that isn’t there normally when multiple cards are revealed, but only when it’s a lot?

And assuming he meant Vampire/War instead of Fortune Teller.

you are correct.  There was a fortune teller in play so I think I just kind of assumed that is what it was without noticing that it was War, Though I belive a Werewolf was the culprit If I remember correctly, which I rarely do...
"Rap game Julio Franco, Chuck Norris, Texas Ranger/ Ice on my fingers look like I slap-boxed a penguin." -- Riff Raff Proverbs 4:20

"Sometimes I say some things people may think are just outlandish, but I'm going to have the last laugh." -- Riff Raff  Exodus 6:66

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2020, 08:40:41 pm »

But isn't the word "finally" there just to make clear that the Silver was the last card revealed which stopped the revealing of additional cards, because the other cards listed are not shown in the order they were revealed? I don't think it's supposed to be for comedic effect... It's striking a balance between readability and clarity of the game rules. It's important that Silver was the last card revealed, whereas the preceding list could have been in any order without making a difference.

Grammatically, it's a bit awkward to say "...2 Coppers and a Bat and finally Silver", but it's probably two separate routines. One that takes the list of all cards except the one that triggers the end of the search, giving the output "3 Fisherman, ... and a Bat", and a separate one for the last card on its own, "and finally Silver". This probably had more to do with it being easier to program this way than trying to make it funny (if this is even considered funny).

I'll double check in future games, but I don't recall seeing this say from a loan for example.  But I could easily have just never noticed it.

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2020, 08:43:42 pm »

The last sentence kind of sums up German comedy in general right?  8)

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 21 queries.