Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 24  All

Author Topic: Set Expansion Contest  (Read 79289 times)

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1448
    • View Profile
Re: Set Expansion Contest
« Reply #500 on: January 21, 2021, 10:11:18 pm »
+1

The heirloom might not totally fit the tone of the rest of the game, but I like it enough to submit it here.

VERDANT DELL - $5
Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
Discard any number of cards for +$1 per two cards discarded (rounded up).
Heirloom: The Cheese

THE CHEESE - $5
Treasure
$2
When you buy a Card, if this is the only Treasure you have in play, +2VP.
(This is not in the Supply.)
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: January 21, 2021, 10:51:56 pm »
+1

VERDANT DELL - $5
Action
+1 Card
+1 Action

This is probably reasonable for even with a 1:1 ratio. Discarding no cards at all makes it a useless cantrip, discarding 1 makes it an Oasis, and discarding 3 makes it a double Peddler with a very large drawback that's very rarely worth it. And the more you discard, the less worth it the reward is. (Discarding 5 cards for +$3 is pretty lame.  That's your whole hand if you didn't play any handsize increases beforehand.)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 01:05:33 am by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

BBobb

• Moneylender
  • My brother says thief is amazing.
  • Respect: +138
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: January 21, 2021, 11:52:42 pm »
+1

This needs the Heirloom type. Also, this would mess with openings too much IMO.

Timinou

• Witch
  • Respect: +634
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: January 22, 2021, 12:04:40 am »
+1

VERDANT DELL - $5
Action
+1 Card
+1 Action

THE CHEESE - $5
Treasure
$2
When you buy a Card, if this is the only Treasure you have in play, +2VP.
(This is not in the Supply.)

Unfortunately, this wouldn’t qualify because of the need for VP tokens.

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1413
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: January 22, 2021, 02:15:58 am »
+2

This is an oldie but I think it is neat for a promo. On the surface it is a more expensive Harem with variable Coin/VP values, so it will be immediately familiar. Strategically it plays different though, being perhaps most similar to Fairgrounds.

It's main downside is that due to the "modern" prevalence of engines, Province play (this does after all cost as much as Province, if there is just one further Treasure or Victory Kingdom card) is often the dominant strategy. A non-variable price, most likely $6, could be a necessary buff.

As this is almost always at least as good as Harem (you only need one other Treasure in play and one other VP card in your deck to make it +$2+2VP), it shouldn't have a fixed cost of $6 IMO.
If you want to make the price non-variable, I'd suggest $7 (which is also the price it currently has when there's no other extra Treasure or VP piles in the kingdom, and no empty piles.) But it may also be fine as is.
It is very had to say. LastFootnote has argued that Harem could very well cost $5. I like the variable price because it creates a relationship between the cost and the power of the card and am going to stick with it but if it is too weak $7 is, as you have said, likely the best first shot at a fixed price.

gambit05

• Minion
  • Respect: +495
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: January 22, 2021, 05:30:19 am »
+1

This is an oldie but I think it is neat for a promo. On the surface it is a more expensive Harem with variable Coin/VP values, so it will be immediately familiar. Strategically it plays different though, being perhaps most similar to Fairgrounds.

It's main downside is that due to the "modern" prevalence of engines, Province play (this does after all cost as much as Province, if there is just one further Treasure or Victory Kingdom card) is often the dominant strategy. A non-variable price, most likely $6, could be a necessary buff.

As this is almost always at least as good as Harem (you only need one other Treasure in play and one other VP card in your deck to make it +$2+2VP), it shouldn't have a fixed cost of $6 IMO.
If you want to make the price non-variable, I'd suggest $7 (which is also the price it currently has when there's no other extra Treasure or VP piles in the kingdom, and no empty piles.) But it may also be fine as is.
It is very had to say. LastFootnote has argued that Harem could very well cost $5. I like the variable price because it creates a relationship between the cost and the power of the card and am going to stick with it but if it is too weak $7 is, as you have said, likely the best first shot at a fixed price.

I don't know whether the card as is has a reasonable cost on various boards, but I would like to say that the idea is brilliant. I've thought a lot in the past couple of months about different ways to create cards with variable costs. This one easily beats all of them.

Holger

• Minion
  • Respect: +455
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: January 22, 2021, 07:56:22 am »
+1

VERDANT DELL - $5
Action
+1 Card
+1 Action

This is probably reasonable for even with a 1:1 ratio. Discarding no cards at all makes it a useless cantrip, discarding 1 makes it an Oasis, and discarding 3 makes it a double Peddler with a very large drawback that's very rarely worth it. And the more you discard, the less worth it the reward is. (Discarding 5 cards for +$3 is pretty lame.  That's your whole hand if you didn't play any handsize increases beforehand.)

Agreed. Actually, Verdant Dell is clearly worse than Mill (which costs $4 and gives 1 VP) unless you discard 5 or more cards (or exactly 1, in which case it's just an Oasis).

grrgrrgrr

• Explorer
  • Respect: +414
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: January 23, 2021, 05:19:37 am »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3182
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: January 23, 2021, 06:01:51 am »
+1

Inb4 the people in the theater unanimously decided to become Treasure Hunters.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: January 23, 2021, 08:36:51 am »
+4

Suggested wording along the lines of Command cards:
Play the set aside acard, leaving it there. +1 Action per Action it gives.

mandioca15

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +237
    • View Profile
« Reply #510 on: January 23, 2021, 10:21:01 am »
+2

Not sure how viable/broken this is, but as it's Promotions week:

Chameleon (Action-Command, $5)

Play the last-played Action card this turn, leaving it there; if you can't, +1 Card, +1 Action, +$1.

This mimics whatever your previous Action card did. If you don't have any, it's just a Peddler.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #511 on: January 23, 2021, 10:32:55 am »

I mean, this doesn't fully work with one shots either, but i don't think there's a ton of those at the $2 price point, embargo aside.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 10:34:27 am by spineflu »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: January 23, 2021, 10:50:34 am »

Inb4 the people in the theater reconsidered and decided that watching a play about a Page wasn't enough of a reason to become Treasure Hunters

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1109
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #513 on: January 23, 2021, 02:52:10 pm »
+7

Wacky idea incoming! Posted and tweaked via the help of some Dominion Discord users. If Giants, Golems, Werewolves and Witches can exist within Dominion’s, then so can...

There are 3 copies of each 4 Dragons, for 12 cards total (no matter the player count). Like Knights, they are shuffled, and all 4 Dragons share that one junking/discarding Attack. Speaking of which, there are no Attacking Promo cards, so this fills that niche!

Just to be clear on the matter, Blue Dragon sets itself aside forever with no returning mechanic when used for its Reaction, just like Prince.
Bottom text

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +580
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: January 23, 2021, 11:24:35 pm »
+1

Liegeman - $4
Action
+2 Actions
+$1
If you don't have Treaty Bound, you may Exile a card from your hand for +2 Cards.
-
Setup: Each player takes Treaty Bound.

Treaty Bound
State
When a player gains a Province, return this and trash up to 5 cards from your hand. +1 Card for each card trashed this way.

Liegeman starts as a weak Villa, but changes to a strong Lost City after the first Province is gained. The State that is given to everyone at Setup has an additional effect when you return it after any player Gains a Province. The Trash then Draw effect will inherently benefit the players not buying the Province more, unless the active player takes care to ensure they will benefit from the effect. I am not sure how balanced this is and would greatly appreciate any suggestions or criticisms.

grrgrrgrr

• Explorer
  • Respect: +414
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: January 24, 2021, 12:24:29 am »
+2

This would make the card absolutely ludicrous with Encampment, and vanilla with Page, Ratcatcher and Pixie. On top of that, the card's effect is the same for every player throughout the entire game (unlike Inheritance and the Command cards), so there won't be any confusions.

Wacky idea incoming! Posted and tweaked via the help of some Dominion Discord users. If Giants, Golems, Werewolves and Witches can exist within Dominion’s, then so can...

There are 3 copies of each 4 Dragons, for 12 cards total (no matter the player count). Like Knights, they are shuffled, and all 4 Dragons share that one junking/discarding Attack. Speaking of which, there are no Attacking Promo cards, so this fills that niche!

Just to be clear on the matter, Blue Dragon sets itself aside forever with no returning mechanic when used for its Reaction, just like Prince.

Cool idea! Maybe adding a Yellow Dragon to the mix that is an Action-Treasure (or Black Dragon, as Night cards are allowed). And I'd rework the Blue Dragon cause this is just straight up confusing.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 12:34:31 am by grrgrrgrr »

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #516 on: January 24, 2021, 11:28:12 am »
+1

Cool idea! Maybe adding a Yellow Dragon to the mix that is an Action-Treasure (or Black Dragon, as Night cards are allowed). And I'd rework the Blue Dragon cause this is just straight up confusing.

Thanks! I avoided a Treasure and Night variation of Dragons since I really wanted that nasty Attack to be terminal. This can be avoided somewhat by having these variations be dual typed (like Crown or Werewolf), but that would make this concept more complicated.

As for Blue Dragon, I could have it self trash when Reacting, and I thought of it too, but in the end, I wanted it to "stay" in your deck for it to still give a for the purpose of Green Dragon.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 11:29:56 am by X-tra »
Bottom text

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #517 on: January 24, 2021, 11:41:36 am »
+1

Thanks! I avoided a Treasure and Night variation of Dragons since I really wanted that nasty Attack to be terminal. This can be avoided somewhat by having these variations be dual typed (like Crown or Werewolf), but that would make this concept more complicated.

As for Blue Dragon, I could have it self trash when Reacting, and I thought of it too, but in the end, I wanted it to "stay" in your deck for it to still give a for the purpose of Green Dragon.

could just do the Crossroads thing, "If this is the first Black / Gold dragon, you've played this turn" for those two.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: January 24, 2021, 01:14:45 pm »
+1

Just add an '(it stays set side for the rest of the game)' into the card text. Official cards have such clarifications, too.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: January 24, 2021, 01:54:59 pm »

I don't like this. The Attack is initially weaker than Sea Hag and the other stuff varies a lot in power. Blue Dragon seems to stay in nirvana forever so it only net gains one card so that's probably OK. A Night or Treasure Dragon wouldn't be overpowered.
But the main issues is that you do very rarely want more than one or two Dragons.  Even if there are no Witches and Militias in the Kingdom, the other stuff that the Dragons do is too weak to make you waste that precious $5 slot on them. Also, it is not like with Knights where the very mechanics of the card create a run on the pile.

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #520 on: January 24, 2021, 02:15:15 pm »

Just add an '(it stays set side for the rest of the game)' into the card text. Official cards have such clarifications, too.
I was looking at Prince and Inheritance for guidance for the set aside wording. Both of these do not mention anything about the cards being set aside for the rest of the game.
Bottom text

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: January 24, 2021, 02:49:59 pm »
+2

Well, Village doesn't say +2 Actions (Actions, not Action Cards). Diadem does because there it's intuitively more confusing. Reaction in this thread suggests that Blue Dragon is intuitively confusing.

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #522 on: January 24, 2021, 04:03:24 pm »
+2

Well, Village doesn't say +2 Actions (Actions, not Action Cards). Diadem does because there it's intuitively more confusing. Reaction in this thread suggests that Blue Dragon is intuitively confusing.

You know what? Time for me to agree. This caused the same confusion when posted in the Discord server, and by more than one user too. So, even if the wording is technically correct, it is always appreciated to help the players to not misplay (or, erm, "misreact") a card. The fact that I even pre-emptively warned about Blue Dragon's behaviour in my original submission post is proof enough that perhaps something's amiss here. So, here's a little addition to that card to make it more user-friendly:

Based on the wording of Hireling and Champion.
Bottom text

Timinou

• Witch
  • Respect: +634
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: January 24, 2021, 07:56:10 pm »

What is the reason for setting aside Blue Dragon rather than trashing it as part of the Reaction?  Are you trying to avoid Lurker shenanigans?

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #524 on: January 24, 2021, 08:05:53 pm »
+3

What is the reason for setting aside Blue Dragon rather than trashing it as part of the Reaction?  Are you trying to avoid Lurker shenanigans?

I want it to still give for Green Dragon.
Bottom text
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 24  All

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 21 queries.