Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 24  All

Author Topic: Set Expansion Contest  (Read 79772 times)

gambit05

• Minion
  • Respect: +495
    • View Profile
Re: Set Expansion Contest
« Reply #375 on: December 27, 2020, 04:10:56 pm »
+1

It doesn't break any rules. So, your submission is legit.

D782802859

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +381
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: December 28, 2020, 08:20:48 am »
+2

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: December 28, 2020, 12:58:14 pm »
+1

The topdecking should either be limited to non-Durations or say "an Action card you would discard from play this turn" to avoid being wonky with Duration cards.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

anordinaryman

• Duke
  • Respect: +502
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: December 28, 2020, 02:27:14 pm »
+2

Wizard | Action - Fate | $5
+1 Card
+1 Action
If this is your only Wizard in play, reveal the top 3 boons. Choose one to receive and discard the rest. Trash up to 3 cards you have in play, if you trashed any, gain a Night card.

I had the general cantrip fate idea since the previews came up. I realized that most of the boons were existing 5s if you slapped them on a cantrip. Cantrip + Fields Gift = Bazaar, Cantrip + Forests's Gift = Market, Cantrip + Flame's Gift is very similar to Junk Dealer. Etc. Each deck benefits from having at least one Wizard in it. Do you want more than one?

This ties into several themes of Nocturne:
- It's a fate card
- It does self-trash (like Pixie, Magic Lamp)
- It cares about the cards in play (kind of like Leprechaun, Conclave/Imp, Idol, Tormentor, Raider, Magic Lamp)
- It allows gaining of Night Cards

Of course, a cantrip fate can really slow down games, so this only triggers the boons if it's the first one in play. This means, usually once per turn. If you desperately want to trigger a second-one, you can self trash a Wizard, which then means less triggering in the future as the Wizards run out.

Having a way to upgrade action cards you played into night cards is interesting unexplored design space. Sometimes you just want to trash cards you have in play so you can help trigger a Magic Lamp or Leprechaun. Even if you don't really want another monastery and it's the only night, sometimes you want to trash a card (Priest, Tomb), or gain an extra card (Destrier).

Rule Clarification, a Wizard can self-trash into a Night card. If there are no Night cards, you gain nothing. The Night card gaining is compulsory if you trash a card in play.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 02:22:42 am by anordinaryman »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: December 28, 2020, 04:07:53 pm »
+2

Why does this trash up to three cards as supposed to just one? The main case in which it makes a difference is if you have bad cards in play, in which case it's already extremely strong.

anordinaryman

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: December 28, 2020, 04:46:49 pm »

Why does this trash up to three cards as supposed to just one? The main case in which it makes a difference is if you have bad cards in play, in which case it's already extremely strong.

I wanted it to trash more than one card in play so it can trash itself and another Wizard. Otherwise you need to stop and think harder if you want to self-trash each Wizard when you play it. So that's why I wanted it to be "up to two." At that point I was like, well, "three" is a more magical number and Nocturne has magical numbers like "13" and "7" so I did three.

Just to clarify, if you trash three cards in play, you still only gain one Night card.

I'm not sure how often you have "bad" cards in-play. It's pretty rare. Even ruins, it's hard to play 3 ruins. You're more likely only going to have one bad card in play to trash, if that. At least, that's my reasoning.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: December 28, 2020, 04:57:38 pm »
+1

There's Storyteller, Villa, Black Market, and Cavalry, which allow you to have Treasure cards in play at the time you play Wizard. If you can trash Coppers, the effect is nuts. You could prevent that by saying 'Action Card' as supposed to 'card'. Not sure if it's needed.

anordinaryman

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: December 28, 2020, 05:18:55 pm »
+1

There's Storyteller, Villa, Black Market, and Cavalry, which allow you to have Treasure cards in play at the time you play Wizard. If you can trash Coppers, the effect is nuts. You could prevent that by saying 'Action Card' as supposed to 'card'. Not sure if it's needed.

Good point. If any of those cards were in Nocturne, I would design around it since it's pretty strong. As of right now, I'm happy having those interactions appear in the <10% of games* both cards occur in. Especially because it seems a fun interaction to have.

*I calculated a rough upper bound probability that at least one of those cards is in the game given that Wizard is already selected to be in the game.

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: December 29, 2020, 03:49:15 am »
+2

Deadline for submission in 24 hours (30th Dec., 4 am forum time)

Please, when you change your cards, please clearly indicate that in your original submission post. Best and simplest way is to add something like "Update" on top of the post.

Also, I have a couple of questions. Some, but not all, may need some changes in the card text:

Hectare
The card instructions don’t say when exactly Hectare is used in a game. Is it supposed to be similar to Shelters? 

Enchanted Orchard
Can the player receive a Boon when 0 cards have been discarded? See wording of Tactician.

Land of the Damned
Can the player choose in which order they receive the Hexes or are they received in the order they are revealed? If the latter, is the 2nd Hex revealed before the first is received?

Stargazer
I suppose you want to add “look through your discard pile” to the first instruction of the card in some way.

Sorceress/Moonstone
How does Moonstone versus Envious work, i.e. which can override the other?

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: December 29, 2020, 03:54:09 am »

The one that triggers later overrides the other. That'll be Moonstone unless you played it in your Action phase.

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: December 29, 2020, 04:03:11 am »

The one that triggers later overrides the other. That'll be Moonstone unless you played it in your Action phase.

Okay, makes sense. Thanks! (No need to change anything with your card).

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +581
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: December 29, 2020, 07:34:21 am »

Enchanted Orchard
Can the player receive a Boon when 0 cards have been discarded? See wording of Tactician.

Yes, you still receive the Boon even if you discard 0 cards. I just wanted to prevent a player from dropping multiple Enchanted Orchards in a single turn. At least not without effort or arcane knowledge.

D782802859

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +381
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: December 29, 2020, 09:03:37 am »

Just a small tweak to the Scheme part of the card so it doesn't have issues with durations.

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #388 on: December 29, 2020, 09:14:20 am »

Land of the Damned
Can the player choose in which order they receive the Hexes or are they received in the order they are revealed? If the latter, is the 2nd Hex revealed before the first is received?
You reveal the first Hex and receive it. Then you reveal the second Hex and receive it. Since the Hex pile is "ordered", you receive them back-to-back in the order they are in said pile. This is something that would be clarified in some kind of FAQ rather than on the card itself; otherwise it'd become too wordy for very little gain.
Bottom text

mandioca15

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +237
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: December 29, 2020, 09:34:46 am »

Deadline for submission in 24 hours (30th Dec., 4 am forum time)

Please, when you change your cards, please clearly indicate that in your original submission post. Best and simplest way is to add something like "Update" on top of the post.

Also, I have a couple of questions. Some, but not all, may need some changes in the card text:

Hectare
The card instructions don’t say when exactly Hectare is used in a game. Is it supposed to be similar to Shelters? 

Enchanted Orchard

Land of the Damned

Stargazer
I suppose you want to add “look through your discard pile” to the first instruction of the card in some way.

Sorceress/Moonstone
How does Moonstone versus Envious work, i.e. which can override the other?

Hectare is intended to be just another Kingdom card, like Gardens. When it is used, each player will have a starting deck of two Estates, one Hectare, six Coppers and one Silver.

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #390 on: December 29, 2020, 10:08:00 am »

Enchanted Orchard

Yes, you still receive the Boon even if you discard 0 cards. I just wanted to prevent a player from dropping multiple Enchanted Orchards in a single turn. At least not without effort or arcane knowledge.

Good. That is what the card text implies. I just wanted to be sure I understand your intention. (No need for changes).

Just a small tweak to the Scheme part of the card so it doesn't have issues with durations.

I haven't noticed (yet).

Land of the Damned
You reveal the first Hex and receive it. Then you reveal the second Hex and receive it. Since the Hex pile is "ordered", you receive them back-to-back in the order they are in said pile. This is something that would be clarified in some kind of FAQ rather than on the card itself; otherwise it'd become too wordy for very little gain.

Okay. It wasn't clear to me from the text alone and the difference can have quite an impact as far as I can see it.

More important than the exact card text is that I understand your intention. (A short clarification/FAQ would have been helpful).

Don't feel obliged to do any changes (it hasn't any consequences for the contest), but what about:

"…or less, receive 2 Hexes, consecutively."

The little extra word doesn't explain everything, but at least for me, it would prevent me to grab the 2 Hexes at once and would encourage me to consult the rule book.

Hectare is intended to be just another Kingdom card, like Gardens. When it is used, each player will have a starting deck of two Estates, one Hectare, six Coppers and one Silver.

Good that I have asked. I totally misinterpreted the Set up part. Probably, I was confused because of your remarks about Heirlooms. There is no need to change anything, as it would become obvious when players have a whole pile of Hectare available instead of just one card.

Many thanks to all of you for the clarifications!

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: December 30, 2020, 07:33:44 am »
+7

Assessment Round 12 - Cards for the Nocturne expansion

Tsuchigumo
   $5 Action – Duration – Fate   
+1 Action
Now and at start of next turn:
 +1 Action and receive one of
 the set aside Boons.
------------------------
Setup: If you haven't already,
 set aside the top 3 Boons face
 up.

Tsuchigumo by grrgrrgrr

A non-terminal Druid acting over two turns. It looks solid and gives a lot of flexibility due to the possibility to choose between different Boons each time Tsuchigumo is played. The guaranteed Village at the start of the turn is very helpful for engines and it is quite likely that the one or other set-aside Boon strengthen the start of the turns even more. My guess is that it is fun to play with and that Tsuchigumo is likely useful in most of the games. The concept on the other hand is not really new. Just an idea I had while I was thinking about this card and its mechanic, what about replacing the received Boon with a new one?

Hectare
$4 Action – Victory
+2 Cards
+1 Action
Trash this.
------------------------
2 VP
------------------------
    In games using this, replace one     
of your starting Estates with a
copy of this, and a starting
Copper with a Silver.

Hectare by mandioca15

This is a novel approach to change the opening turns. Hectare is a Kingdom card (as I have learnt just yesterday) that acts as a one-shot Lab when played and is worth 2VP if not played. Moreover, it is part of the starting deck together with a Silver, which replace an Estate and a Copper. This leads to a variety of opening turns, with a $5 almost guaranteed. I can‘t see many situations where I would like to save the 2VP by not playing Hectare in one of the opening turns; or very soon after if I already have $5 (due to the extra Silver) for buying an important card. Hectare accelerates the opening, but it seems that it isn’t interesting enough to not play Hectare for saving the 2 VP.

The idea is interesting, but the execution has a bit too many flaws. Hectare as a Kingdom card is certainly interesting and the concept has a great potential. However, also having a copy in the starting deck is not a good idea in the way it is. It seems well balanced as a Kingdom card, but as part of the starting deck, it doesn’t work very well. The incentive to keep it should be higher (as a starting card), but then there is the problem that this difficult to balance  for the copies that are gained later from the pile. So, there is a certain dilemma to find an appropriate balance between the “I want to play it” part and the  “I want to keep it” part as a Kingdom card vs a card already in the starting deck.
I would skip the Silver part and I would make the starting “Hectare” different to the regular Hectare Kingdom card, but associated, so basically an Action-Victory Heirloom. The Victory part of the “Heirloom”-Hectare could be something like “Worth 1VP per Hectare in your deck”. Difficult to find the right balance for this otherwise interesting concept.

Enchanted Orchard
$4 Night - Victory – Fate

Discard your hand to take a
Boon. Receive it now or at
the start of your next turn.
------------------------

2VP

Enchanted Orchard by Xen3k

A Victory card combining two characteristic mechanics of Nocturne, Boons and Night. Receiving the Boon is guaranteed since also discarding nothing counts. Enchanted Orchard allows improving the start of the next turn, which is a useful feature for a non-terminal Victory card. There is some self-limiting in place since discarding the remaining cards in hand prevents that multiple copies of Enchanted Orchard are played in the same turn.
When compared to Bard, the most Vanilla Fate card in the official expansion, Enchanted Orchard looks stronger as it is non-terminal, and it’s Boon receiving is more flexible. When compared to other $4 cost Victory cards, e.g. Island, Mill and Cemetery, Enchanted Orchard seems to play in the same league. Each one has its unique feature and Enchanted Orchard adds a new one to this category of alt-VP cards.

Baba Yaga 
$4 • Action - Duration – Fate

Reveal the top two Boons;
choose one to receive and put the
other on the bottom of the
Boons.

At the start of your next turn,
gain a Will-O'-Wisp to your
hand. If you cannot, gain a Wish
and trash this.

Baba Yaga by spineflu

Baba Yaga gives the choice to receive 1 out of 2 Boons, where the unused one goes to the bottom of the pile. This is a novelty as it combines the Druid aspect with the standard Boon receiving of other Fate cards. The back to the bottom of the unused Boon means that unwanted Boons may accumulate in the remaining pool over time, which could be interesting, design-wise, but sometimes also annoying for the player who gets the last 2 Boons before reshuffling the pile.
In the next turn, Baba Yaga gains a Will-O’-Wisp to the player’s hand, which is usually more than welcome. There is even a safety clause, which gives a precious Wish when the Wisp pile is empty. I am not sure I like this latter part as it is a quite radical change; maybe just gain a card costing up to $5? It would take out the extremely strong flexibility of Wish. So to summarize, Baba Yaga looks like a card that is fun to play with and offers new ways to use existing mechanics.

Land of the Damned
$4 Victory - Doom

4 VP

------------------------
       When you gain this, +2 Cards       
and trash a card from your
hand. If it costs $3 or less,
receive 2 Hexes.

Land of the Damned by X-tra

This is for sure a provocative card, giving 4 VP for a cost of only $4 and thus being accessible to a battery of Workshop-type cards. Of course, it can’t be all too good and gaining Land of the Damned has an important drawback akin to Cursed Village, but time 2. Often, the second Hex is somewhat neutralized by the effect of the first one, but since the second one is revealed only after the first one has been received, it is a sort of a gamble that if unlucky can hurt quite a lot. But hey, that is the common feature of Hexes. Receiving the 2 Hexes seems inevitable most of the time with the remarkable exception of Fortress or maybe when other $4 cost cards are spamable. Without a potent Exiler on board, Land of the Damned is mainly a late purchase, where the deck is usually more resistant to the Hexes. Overall, a very interesting card whose presence in a Kingdom can be barely be ignored since a lot of VP are at stake that can be quickly gathered.

Sorceror
$5 Action - Attack

+2 Cards
Discard a card. Each other player
gains a Ghouls onto their deck.
------------------------
     When you gain this, you may look     
through your discard pile, reveal
any number of Ghouls from it,
and trash them.
Ghouls
$0 Action - Doom

Receive the next Hex
       to return this to the Ghouls       
pile.

(This is not in the Supply.)

Sorceror/Ghouls by Timinou

Ghouls represents a new junk card that can be delivered by Sorceror. Ghouls don’t look very scary, since they can be relatively easy removed by a well-timed gaining of a Sorcerer. This on the other hand can lead to some self junking once the Ghouls pile is empty. Ghouls on the other hand can be removed by traditional trashers, or by playing itself for a Hex. Design wise, the Vanilla bonus of “+2 Cards/Discard 1 card” looks better than +$3, though compared to strong junkers like Witch, Sorceror seems to be on the weaker side, even or maybe rather because of the on-gain defense. I would probably remove “Discard a card”.
When attacked by a Sorceror player, Ghouls go on top of the deck of their opponents. This confronts the opponents immediately and escapes the cleaning function of the own Sorcerors. I like the concept and the novel aspects of this card duo. One problem that could spoil the fun too much is the presence of any regular trasher in the game; and there are a lot around. They would make it just too easy to eliminate the Ghouls, making them functionally indistinguishable from other junk cards. Maybe a clause such as “If this is trashed other than by a Sorceror, put it into your discard pile.” would help a lot to make Ghouls a novel annoying junk card. It would make the self-hexing more relevant and the concept more interesting. Just an idea.

Stargazer
$3 Night - Duration
     Look through your discard pile.     
Reveal a card from your hand
or discard pile and put it on
top of your deck.
At the start of your next turn:
You may reveal a Victory card
from your hand to receive the
next Boon. You may discard a
card to gain a Silver. You may
trash this to gain a Duchy.

Stargazer by LibraryAdventurer

This is a cheap Night card doing various things, mostly on the second turn, and potentially supported by its on play function. The player benefits from having a Victory card in hand, which can be even used twice for the second turn effects. In the turn Stargazer is played it prepares for the next turn by placing a suitable card onto the deck. There is some kind of dilemma that a player would rather like to have a key card, such as a Village or an Attack card available for their next turn, but to trigger the second turn effects of Stargazer, a Victory card would be the better choice. If in doubt, I would likely go for the Village/Attack or whatever card than receiving a random Boon. Since Stargazer is cheap and non-terminal and able to inspect the discard pile when played, it seems like the optimal solution is to have a lot of them. One Stargazer could take care of having a Victory card available to receive several Boons, the others look for the key cards.

Finally, Stargazer can be converted to a Duchy. I am not a big fan of such last minute scoring, especially when it can be done by self-trashing of a cheap non-terminal card. I would find it more interesting, if it has a below a dividing line instruction, e.g. “When this is trashed…”. However, taking all the other abilities and its low cost into accountant, I think the best is to get rid of this part at all. This would make the card a lot simpler.

Sorceress
     $3 Night - Attack – Doom     
Heirloom: Moonstone

Gain a Silver. Each other
player receives the next
Hex.

Moonstone
     $4 Treasure - Heirloom     

$1

Silver produces an extra $1
this turn.

Sorceress/Moonstone by silverspawn

Silver is clearly the key here; it’s about gaining and up-grading them. Sorceress is a non-terminal $3 cost Hexer that looks more attractive than Skulk, because of the presence of Moonstone. Because of its low cost and none-terminality, it can become really annoying and, a typical feature of the Hexes, quite swingy in its effects, especially early in the game. This is exaggerated by the fact that Moonstone with its cost of $4 is vulnerable to trashing attacks. Notably, with the Hex War (and Locusts with any cost) such an attack is looming early on. With bad luck, a player looses their Moonstone in an early turn, making a Sorceress strategy much less attractive. Since you have set the cost of Moonstone to $4, you had something in mind in doing so. My guess is to give it a trash-for benefit aspect allowing players to get rid of the Heirloom if they don’t want to go for a Silver-based strategy. If Moonstone is hit by Locusts it would, interestingly, become a Silver. Would it be helpful to make it untrashable like a Fortress, maybe combined (or not) with a$0 cost to avoid trash for benefits? Well, I am sure you considered all these obvious possibilities.

Rook
$4 Night - Fate
Choose 2: Draw an extra card
for your next hand; put an
Action you will discard from
play this turn on your deck;
     trash a card from your hand and     
gain one costing exactly $1
more; take a Boon and
receive it next turn.

Rook by D782802859

Rook is a Night card that picks 2 choices out of 4, three of them improving the next turn and one with a trashing/remodeling function. All those abilities have their own merit and choosing two of them makes Rook an attractive card for sure. The Scheme-like function alone is worth $3 and having a second option available combined with its flexibility and non-terminality lets me think that Rook is too strong for a $4 cost. Aside of that, playability is guaranteed and a lot of helpful things can be achieved. However, it looks like a bit too much of everything, and “everything” also means nothing that is somehow new or exciting.

Wizard
$5 Action - Fate
+1 Card
+1 Action

If this is your only Wizard
     in play, reveal the top 3 Boons.     
Choose one to receive and
discard the rest. Trash up to 3
cards you have in play, if you
trashed any, gain a Night card.

Wizard by anordinaryman

This is an expensive cantrip Fate card that has the Druid-like feature to pick one out of three Boons, except that they are cycling during the game. Because of this 1 out of 3 choice it is basically guaranteed to upgrade Wizard just with this feature to a strong $5 cost card (e.g. Lab, Market, Bazaar). But… there is a drawback, since the upgrade can only be done when it’s the only Wizard in play. But hey, Wizard has other features; it can trash itself and thus the player can upgrade the next Wizard again. However, with its high cost opportunity, I can’t see many cases where I would go for it. There are cards like Necromancer and Lurker that can benefit from trashed Action cards, or Fortress with its trashing immunity, and there are a few cards like Storyteller that would allow trashing Coppers played in the Action phase, but more often than not, Wizard has to act without them. Then finally we have a quite unique feature, i.e. gaining a Night card, which is expected to be absent in most games, or if present, may vary dramatically between something like Guardian and Vampire. Good thing about this latter feature is that all players are equally affected and that different games (no, weak, strong Night cards) will play remarkably different. So, if my evaluation is somewhat correct, in a lot of Kingdoms, Wizard has its use, but probably rather in a low copy number to just upgrade it to a valuable $5 cost effect with the aforementioned restrictions. In certain other Kingdoms including one or more cards I have mentioned above, Wizard can shine in different ways. So, all together it looks like the composition of a given Kingdom highly influences how strong Wizard is. In some case it looks like a top tier card, in other cases it looks like a - solid but difficult to play - card giving flexibility thanks to the choice of Boons. I struggled a bit with some of the randomness of the card strength in dependency of the available board, i.e. whether I like that aspect or not, but at the end came to the conclusion that the fun part and the novel aspects that make Wizard interesting overweighs its flaws. Maybe as a final remark, how about changing the trashing part to “one Action card”?

Some of your cards look solid, balanced and fun to play with and would be certainly a nice addition to the Nocturne expansion. I assume in 9 out of 10 cases, the master Dominion designer himself would prefer a card with the such features and only occasionally adds a crazier one. Makes sense since a set can’t solely have crazy cards. However, today I am all in for a more progressive/provocative route. I hope I don’t disappoint too many of you.

Notable mention of cards that look solid and balanced and for which I could imagine to be included in this or a similar form in a Nocturne extension:
Tsuchigumo by grrgrrgrr and Enchanted Orchard by Xen3k (a few more would fit, but it looks stupid when I nominate all cards)

Runner ups:
Wizard by anordinaryman
Land of the Damned by X-tra

Winner:
Sorceror/Ghouls by Timinou

Congratulations!

Last but not least: I wish you all a successful 2021 with a lot of exciting things to experience. Hopefully, with less Covid19 around and plenty of good times with friends and families. Maybe, the one or other of you will design a wonderful Dominion Fan card 2021 that will be celebrated in these Forums. Have a nice time!

Timinou

• Witch
  • Respect: +634
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: December 30, 2020, 06:23:24 pm »
+2

Thanks, gambit!  I must say I'm pleasantly surprised and flattered considering the quality of the other submissions!  I look forward to judging the next round, so without further ado....

Contest Round #13 - Renaissance

With Renaissance, we saw the evolution of States from Nocturne into Projects and Artifacts.  The expansion is also notable for introducing Villagers and reintroducing Coffers, and it also features some sub-themes from previous expansions, e.g. trashing (like Dark Ages) and on-gain effects (like Hinterlands). 

For this week's contest, your submissions should include any of the following mechanisms:
  • Projects
  • Artifacts
  • Villagers
  • Coffers

As with previous rounds, your submissions should not include any card-shaped things, tokens, or card types that are not found in Renaissance.

Submissions will be judged based on fun factor, balance, and originality (to the extent that they respect the restrictions above).

To allow for some extra time because of the New Year holidays, I will set the deadline for Saturday, January 9th at 10AM Eastern Time.

Please ensure that any revisions are made to your original post so that they are easier to track.

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +581
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: December 30, 2020, 09:14:56 pm »
+1

Theatre Venue
Victory
Worth 1VP plus an additional 1VP per set you have of Theatre Venue - 2 Villagers.
-
When you gain this, if you have no Villagers, +3 Villagers, otherwise +1 Villager.

A VP card that scales with additional Villagers. Some of the other Villager cards could make this busted, so I am thinking it may be too good as is. I am thinking of changing it to be a set bonus VPs for just having a minimum number of Villagers, something like +2 VP for having at last 4 Villagers or something. It is still a decent source of villagers regardless and can be remodeled if that is an option in the Kingdom if you are not going "big villager". Feedback would be appreciated.

Edit: Changed the scaling VP portion to be capped by how many Theatre Venues you own. This still allows them to scale beyond Colony in Value if you have enough of them and enough additional Villager support, but now with that being less feasible I hope it will encourage the use of those Villagers more often. Not sure if this completely solves the concerns or if this nerfs it too much. Thanks to Aquila for the feedback.
Old Version

Edit 2: To Clarify, each Theatre Venue is worth at a minimum 1VP. The Additional VP looks at the number of Theatre Venues you have and the the number of Villagers you have when scoring. If you have 4 Theatre Venues you can get up to 4 additional VPs each if you have at least 8 Villagers (5VP per Theatre Venue).
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 09:59:47 am by Xen3k »

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: December 31, 2020, 06:59:16 am »

I noticted too late that there is already a Landmark with that name.
So nothing fancy, just a way to safe extra Actions. It is obviously great for consistency, but I don't think that it is overpowered; at $4 you'd often rather get another splitter.

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: December 31, 2020, 07:47:54 am »
+3

Letterpress
cost $6 - Project
When you gain a non-Victory card costing up to $4, gain a copy of it (that doesn't come with another).

A permanent Talisman.  Let's spell a magic of stella!  (Be careful when someone has a Witch.)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 07:59:42 am by majiponi »

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: December 31, 2020, 08:34:52 am »
+2

Town Square
$5 - Action - Reaction
+2 Villagers.
Reveal the top 3 cards of your deck, put one in your hand and discard the rest. If all 3 revealed cards were Actions, take Crowded.
-
When you reveal this (using the word 'reveal'), gain a Silver.

Crowded
Artifact
You may not use more than one Villager per turn.
If you end your turn without playing any Actions, return this.
(Villagers used this turn before taking Crowded don't count towards this.)

I wanted to do a negative Artifact, so I came up with this strong village with drawback Artifact.
The Silver gaining helps keep the town from getting crowded. It could also be considered a drawback...
Do you think the drawbacks are too much for a $5-cost Village?
Should I make it +1 Action and +1 Villager?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 08:47:40 am by LibraryAdventurer »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: December 31, 2020, 04:03:42 pm »

Letterpress
cost $6 - Project
When you gain a non-Victory card costing up to $4, gain a copy of it (that doesn't come with another).

A permanent Talisman.  Let's spell a magic of stella!  (Be careful when someone has a Witch.)

I like it. But the Curse thing seems more like a bug than a feature. Maybe "Action Card" rather than non-victory?

Also probably better if it can't double Tunnels. 4 VP for 3$ is a bit silly.

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: December 31, 2020, 05:59:08 pm »
+1

Letterpress
cost $6 - Project

I like it. But the Curse thing seems more like a bug than a feature. Maybe "Action Card" rather than non-victory?

Also probably better if it can't double Tunnels. 4 VP for 3$ is a bit silly.

Tunnel is a Victory card.  I didn't say Action cards so that I can gain many Silvers.
First I tried "$5, mandatory gain", too easy to govern games. Next, "$6, optional gain", too useful. So this is "$6, mandatory", a little weakened.

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: January 01, 2021, 04:47:27 pm »
+1

This contest is ideal for testing whether the fan expansion I made specifically to go with Renaissance does its job. Just imagine the wheel symbol was the paintbrush.

If the trash bonuses look weird: it's less effective with Coppers, and it can trash itself for the Coffers. Does Renaissance need a strong trasher like this? Maybe not.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 24  All

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 21 queries.