Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 24  All

Author Topic: Set Expansion Contest  (Read 79889 times)

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3191
    • View Profile
Re: Set Expansion Contest
« Reply #300 on: December 06, 2020, 09:55:56 am »
+1

Alright, here is my new simpler submission:

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1424
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: December 06, 2020, 01:51:51 pm »

Cavalry is already an existing official card (in Menagerie).
I made the line before Menagerie. Double names are a non-issue, at the slim chances of two identically named cards appearing in a random Kingdom, you simply exchange one with the other.
At least that makes far more sense to me than destroying thematically flavour (which would occur if I renamed Cavalry).

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +581
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: December 06, 2020, 02:53:13 pm »

posted in error.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2020, 03:12:02 pm by Xen3k »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: December 06, 2020, 03:07:45 pm »
+1

This is supposed to be for the WDC, right?

Xen3k

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: December 06, 2020, 03:11:35 pm »

Dangit, yes. Thanks.

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #305 on: December 11, 2020, 11:37:09 am »
+3

24 HOUR WARNING
Bottom text

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: December 11, 2020, 07:01:19 pm »

Collector
cost $5 - Action
You may put a card on your Tavern Mat whose copy is not there, from your hand. +$1 per a differently named card on your Tavern Mat.

Harvest variant.

D782802859

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +381
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: December 11, 2020, 08:35:51 pm »

EDIT: Replaced with
« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 09:21:11 am by D782802859 »

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: December 12, 2020, 01:57:13 am »

Collector
cost $5 - Action
You may put a card on your Tavern Mat whose copy is not there, from your hand. +$1 per a differently named card on your Tavern Mat.

Harvest variant.
Looks far inferior to Bounty Hunter which is nonterminal and whose early Coin spikes help you more.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: December 12, 2020, 03:28:32 am »

Collector
cost $5 - Action

Harvest variant.
Looks far inferior to Bounty Hunter which is nonterminal and whose early Coin spikes help you more.

I think the better comparison here is Miser.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: December 12, 2020, 06:26:31 am »

I don’t think so. Miser has the trade-off between setting Copper aside and getting Coins whereas this, like Bounty Hunter, not. Also, Miser sets aside only one card whereas this wants to set aside differently named stuff. Like Bounty Hunter.

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: December 12, 2020, 06:34:15 am »

Collector
cost $5 - Action

Harvest variant.

I think the better comparison here is Miser.

It's frankly a weak comparison to Miser as well. Miser isn't limited to one copy of each differently named card, so it can get up to by getting rid of all your starting Coppers. Collector can only get rid of one Estate and one Copper, and would need to eventually start getting rid of good cards from your deck if you wanted it to reach the same potential value as Miser.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

grrgrrgrr

• Explorer
  • Respect: +415
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: December 12, 2020, 06:38:19 am »

This is extremely similar to Gear and compares extremely favorably to that card.

Collector
cost $5 - Action

Harvest variant.

I think this card can be a nice payload on Shelter games or Ruins games, and is definitely able to distinguish itself from Miser and Bounty Hunter. That said, it will be pretty weak on average.

D782802859

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +381
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: December 12, 2020, 09:20:41 am »

Changing my submission to make it a bit more unique

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: December 12, 2020, 10:16:22 am »
+1

Collector
cost $5 - Action

Harvest variant.

I think this card can be a nice payload on Shelter games or Ruins games, and is definitely able to distinguish itself from Miser and Bounty Hunter. That said, it will be pretty weak on average.

Compared to Miser, it earns $ even if you put on Tavern mat, can put Distant Lands, Duplicate, Teaches without spending another Action, and can earn $4 or $5 easily with Reserve cards. Not so weak.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: December 12, 2020, 11:00:31 am »

Shelters, Ruins, Heirlooms and Reserve cards, i.e. stuff that you want to put on your Tavern mat or that already is there do indeed make the card good. But it is nonetheless extremely weak (and if there is a half-way decent trasher in those Kingdoms, it is most likely the better choice).
So are Miser and Poor House but they don’t compete with the good stuff at the $5 level. That is the real issue.

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #316 on: December 12, 2020, 02:11:14 pm »
+3

Errr, poop. So the judging will happen tomorrow, I'm afraid. 2 days after the date I set to myself (and that was already 2 days past the usual 1 week limit)! Sorry 'bout that guys. Adventures is pretty hefty with its cool Travellers and time is always oh so rare. I apologise about them stupid excuses. :)
Bottom text

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #317 on: December 13, 2020, 01:31:26 pm »
+5

CONTEST 10 RESULTS

Uhhh yeah. I’m late as hell with this one. But I tried to be thorough with every entry. Adventures is a nice canvas for cool idea, and you guys did not fail to deliver! So let’s see what we’ve got there, in submitting order:

Homage (Event)
Once per turn: Discard a Victory card from your hand to gain a cheaper card.
Pretty interesting. But this also looks pretty strong. It guarantees that dud hands will always have an okay to good payoff, granted that you have another Victory card than Estate in your hand. For instance, a hand limited by a Duchy means that you can at least gain a card costing up to that turn, making Homage effectively act as Alms. Likewise, if you have a handful of Provinces, then Homage is pretty much better than Advance, an Event I find strong to begin with. And that’s not even to mention Colonies! Even if you can only buy this once per turn (and it’s a good thing you thought about putting that limit), this is still incredibly powerful, especially if you have another or multiple other Buys to spend.
Provided you greened early (and you probably will be incited to do that with Homage around), if you have, for instance and 2 Buys during your Buy phase, you could discard a Province for, like, a King’s Court and use that to buy yourself a nice Action card. Not a bad turn for someone who started to clog their deck with Provinces early on.
And finally, I’ll just say that discarding a Colony into a Province is pretty lol.

Catalyst (Action – Reserve)
+1 Action
Put this on your Tavern mat.
-----
When you gain an Action card, you may call this to immediately play it.
This is totally unrelated to your card, but I gotta point that out first: I hate the good ol’ Reserve card’s on-call ambiguities. Since the on-call clause always refers to the Reserve card itself, the “it” after is always a little bit ambiguous. It may refer to the Reserve card that just got called. I think the best way to avoid that would’ve been to say “to immediately play that Action card”, like Royal Carriage does.
Okay, I’m done rambling, hahaha! Sorry ‘bout that. Catalyst is not only cool on paper, it actually sounds pretty useful and pretty interesting to use! It fills a Reserve niche that cannot be found within Adventures. Royal Carriage being its closest counterpart, but even then, that’s pushing the envelope. To me, this would be a decent open on a 4/3 split. Maybe your first could be immediately played if your first shuffle was quite right. And with nasty Attacks like Mountebank or Cultist, Catalyst shines.

Astronomer (Action – Reserve)
+1 Action
-----
When you shuffle, you may call this, to first pick one of the cards and put it into your hand. After shuffling, discard this.
Hehehe, two stop Reserve card with the same above the line statement in a row :) ! This is a nice little utility card. Where you would have , you’d probably get this because why not. I’d be happier to invest a dud hand into an Astronomer than, say, a Pearl Diver. I pretty much always buy Star Chart, so I don’t see why I wouldn’t pick up a couple of Astronomers along the way as well. While weaker than Star Chart, it’s not something I’m unhappy to put in my deck.

Since the card move itself to the discard pile from the play area, there are ways to create infinite loops with this card. For instance, if it has your +Card token on it (and coincidentally, we’re judging Adventures here), you could rotate 3 copies of Astronomer. One card being in your hand, one being on your Tavern mat and one being a lone card in your discard pile with an empty deck. Play the Astronomer in your hand, get the Astronomer from your discard pile to your hand and put the Astronomer that was on your Tavern mat into your discard pile. You’ve got the same conditions that you had before, thus creating an infinite loop. Not sure you’d get anything out of that, but that’s a thing that you can do regardless. I guess with a + token on Astronomer, you’d get some resources. But the setup is hard.

Horde (Action – Attack – Duration)
Turn your Journey token over (it starts face up). If it’s face down, each other player takes their -1 Card token. If it’s face up, each other player gets +1 Card, then discards down to 3 cards in hand. At the start of your next turn, +2 Cards.
A weaker Enchantress bonus for whoever plays it for more. So how does the Attack fares to make up for that? Well, it fluctuates between a Margrave without a +Buy and a terminal Relic. Because it’s marginally weaker than both of these, I’m pretty confident the power level is okay. It is true that Adventures does not come with any discarding Attack, so this fits a cool niche on that end. While a little wordy, the card seems fine. After all, it’s not any worse than Giant! Quick notice on how cool the two Attacks merge with each other when you play 2 Hordes in one turn (-1 Card token negates the Margrave draw, harr harr)!

[Name] (Action)
+1 Card
+1 Action
You may trash this to move your +1 Card, +1 Action, + , or +1 Buy token to this pile.
Awww, I would’ve really appreciated if this card came with a name. To me, it is part of the whole task of designing a card. But I digress.

Quick notice on wording: It might just be me, but I think it would’ve been sliiiightly more precise if it said “to the [Name] pile” instead of “to this pile”. Also, IRL, following the conviention laid out by Teacher, this card would’ve been wordier, since the tokens’ function has to be explained afterwards: “(When you play a card from that pile, you first get that bonus.)”. I guess that stuff exists to make timing on triggering effect easier to pinpoint.

Now, onto the card! I like it. It is sort of a spiritual counterpart to Donald’s idea of having a card that upgrades itself which ultimately ended up as the Traveller lines. Here, the idea is executed well. And no need for 20 extra cards with weird exchanging rules to make it work! As a rule of thumb, I expect the +1 Card token to be put there first for a nice Lab. Physically though, I do worry about how many cardboard chits are going to be accumulated on that pile, lol. On paper, I guess that it’s 10 token max (10 [Name] to trash in total), but in practice, Lurker, Rogue and Gravedigger exist.

Paladin (Action – Reserve)
+2 Cards
+1 Action
Discard up to 2 cards. For each card you discarded, choose one: +1 Action; +1 Buy; or + . Put this on your Tavern mat.
-----
At the start of your turn, you may discard a card to discard this from your Tavern mat.
This card really toys around the idea of discarding. Since putting this bad boy on your Tavern Mat is mandatory, that alone would make it weaker than Laboratory since Paladin being there is a liability for you. So in order for Paladin to make your money’s worth, you need to milk it for its bonuses, otherwise you paid for something that was overpriced. ‘Course, the bonuses here are the on-play Vanilla perks when you discard cards from your hand. They’re good. Better than Vault, even. The available choices make Paladin pretty flexible. Coupled with the +2 Cards, you have more chance to draw dead/useless cards you’d like to discard, AND coupled with the +1 Action, then you don’t need to always choose the “+1 Action” discarding choice in a pinch (something stuff like Pawn suffers from).

Archer (Action – Traveller)
When you gain a card this turn, you may put it onto your deck.
-----
When you discard this from play, you may exchange it for an Architect.
Architect (Action – Traveller)
Look through your discard pile. You may play an Action card from it or from your hand.
-----
When you discard this from play, you may exchange it for a Herder.
(This is not in the Supply.)
Herder (Action – Attack – Traveller)
Each other player discards down to 3 cards in hand.
-----
When you discard this from play, you may exchange it for a Nymph and you may put another card you discard from play onto your deck.
Nymph (Action – Reserve – Traveller)
+4 Cards
-----
At the start of your turn, you may call this, to exchange it for a Suitor. If you don’t, +1 Card and +1 Buy.
Suitor (Action – Duration)
At the start of each of your turns, set aside the top 5 cards of your deck. Play an Action card from them twice. Discard any number of the remaining cards and put the rest back in any order.
Heyyyy our first Traveller line! ‘Kay so I now regret being Adventures’ judge now, hahahaha!

So, oof, lots of interesting concepts going on here! First, the theme: It’s cool as shit and sits comfortably among the other cool creatures and heroes and all of that from Adventures.

The first guy in the line, Archer, is fine with its Royal Seal-esque effects. Meanwhile, Architect is weak-sauce. Sometimes, you’ll just take the Ruined Village effect to move toward Suitor. Herder is a combo of Militia and Scheme, and seems pretty neat-o to me. It’s weird that the bottom clause is different than the usual one found in Travellers. I hope people won’t forget the Scheme thingy on that one! Nymph, meanwhile, is pretty dang cool. You only ever get the Hunting Grounds once with it. Its on-call effect is pretty nifty. It encourages you to play with a couple of Nymphs. One to be upgraded into a Suitor, and like one or two others to make you effortlessly have a Warf-like effect. Because of Nymph, I know I’d get into a couple of Archers myself!

Now, onto the big guy of this line, Suitor. It is incredibly powerful. Yes, I will take a Night Watchman and Citadel chimera, please! I gueeeess one of the only downfalls of this card, if you could call it that, is that the card played twice cannot interact with the other 4 revealed cards. Sometimes, maybe this will matter. But you’re probably fine regardless. Well, overall, I do like Suitor, even if it maaaaaybe is a tad too OP!

Street Illusionist (Action – Command – Reserve)
Choose one: Put this on your Tavern mat; or play a non-Command, non-Reserve Action card from your Tavern mat, leaving it there.
-----
Directly after you finish playing a Non-Duration Action card, you may call this to put it on your Tavern mat.
This card doesn’t really roll off the tongue at first glance. There’s a lot of “Non-[…]” in there. Non-Command, non-Reserve, non-Duration… and they’re not in the same chunk of this card, some of these conditions being above the dividing line and some under. Likewise, the bottom clause had me severely confused at first. Even though my miscomprehension was short lived, I for but a moment believed that after playing an Action card, you could call a Street Illusionist to re-put that same Illusionist on your Tavern mat. But of course, that’s balderdash; this card wouldn’t work with this understanding.

I think you are correct in assuming that this plays slow. You’ve got to invest in a Street Illusionist and in a, hopefully, powerful card for this to start doing its thing. With multiple cards on your Tavern mat, the flexibility makes Street Illusionist even better. But… you do lose the cards you initially invested in. Again, that’s a huge opportunity cost. I mean, I think at this point I’d rather take the hit from Overlord and be able to freely play cards from the Supply without much effort.

The idea of a Reserve emulator card is pretty neat, I’ll say this much. But as it is, and perhaps because of the limiting nature of this competition, it seems a little convoluted in its current form.

Infantryman (Action – Attack – Traveller)
+ per Infantryman in play. Each other player may discard a card. If they don’t, they gain a Copper to their hand.
-----
When you discard this from play, you may exchange it for an Archer.
Archer (Action – Reaction – Traveller)
Reveal a card from your hand. For each type it has, trash a card from your hand.
-----
When another player plays an Attack card, you may first reveal this from your hand, to be unaffected by it.
-----
When you discard this from play, you may exchange it for a Cavalry.
Cavalry (Action – Reserve – Traveller)
+3 Cards
You may put this on your Tavern mat.
-----
When another player plays an Attack card, you may call this for +3 Cards.
-----
When you discard this from play, you may exchange it for a Mauler.
Mauler (Action – Attack – Looter – Traveller)
Each other player trashes an Action card from their hand (or reveals they can’t). If they did, they gain a Ruins to their hand. Choose one of the trashed cards: +1 Coffers per it costs.
-----
When this is trashed, trash the card that caused it.
-----
When you discard this from play, you may exchange it for a General.
General (Action)
+1 Card
+1 Action
+
-----
While this is in play, when another player gains or discard a card, they put it onto their deck instead. When you play an Attack, +1 Action.
As you have mentioned, you have created this Traveller line before this week’s competition. As such, certain elements, in my opinion, feels disjointed with the task at hand: to create a card (or here, a set of cards, I guess) that fits within an official release. As if we’re all mini Donalds trying to find an actual perfect fit (or close to) for something intended to be put on a shelf in actual stores. If tweaking this line would make it lose its intended purpose, then I suppose it wasn’t too much of a good fit for this week’s challenge. But anyway, let’s take a closer look…

Infantryman opens the whole line with a cool idea. And it starts at , which is pretty novel for a Traveller line. Who said they couldn’t follow the “standardised” price?

Archer, Cavalry and Mauler, well… I dunno. I’m not a big fan of double dividing lines on card. Since none can be found in actual Dominion expansion after 13 expansions, I think it’s safe to say that this sort of design wouldn’t fit within an official release as well. Now don’t get me wrong, Archer and Cavalry are super cool! I especially love Archer as an interesting and still yet to be seen trasher. As for Cavalry, if the name bothered some people because of Menagerie’s Cavalry, I guess it could’ve been renamed something like “Horseback Rider” or “Courser” or w/e. :)

Mauler is not only a behemoth of a card, but it is also the one that’s the most out of its element. Ruins? Coffers? Adventures ain’t Dark Ages or Guilds. I know the Ruins are there to give people an opportunity to trash them instead of sacrificing their more valuable Action cards. It’s pretty clever. It’s just unfortunate that it’s out of style with Adventures.

General is uh, weird with Infantryman and Mauler. Where do the gained cards as a result of the Attacks actually go with General in play? Their hand or on top their deck? Who has the highest priority? At first glance, it isn’t an easy answer. I’m going to go on a limb and suspect that the gained cards actually go on their deck, since I guess it seems to me you wanted General to worsen the Attacks of his own line. If I’m wrong about this suspicion, well, it proves that it’s indeed a complicated interaction. It is interesting that this card benefits from the Attacks within this line and said Attacks benefit from the General. This symbiosis makes you want to invest in a couple of Infantryman, who themselves also benefit from each other’s presence. Honestly, it’s really clever!

Salesman (Event)
Once per turn: +
-----
Setup: Choose a random Action Supply pile. At the start of the game, all players move their +Buy token to that pile.
Haha, cute and interesting little Event we got there! And, the theme, lol. Adventures, as in: Link goes on an Adventure :) ! So the idea here is quite elegant: An extra Buy to fuel an extra to buy something else. It reminds me of Borrow somehow. Borrow can be bought at any time welly nelly, at the cost of a decreased hand size next turn. Here, Salesman needs you to search for an extra Buy to actually work. The setup clause is brilliant. You’ll always get that extra Buy somewhere in the Supply. But will it be on a card that actually works in your deck? Exciting!

Pied Piper (Action – Traveller)
+2 Cards
If you have 2 copies of a card in your hand, you may trash them.
-----
When you discard this from play, you may exchange it for a Master Cat.
Master Cat (Action – Traveller)
+1 Action
Set aside a non-Command Action card from the Supply costing up to . Move your Estate token to it. While this is in play, Estates are also Actions with “Play the card with your Estate token, leaving it there”.
-----
When you discard this from play, you may exchange it for a Huntsman.
Huntsman (Action – Traveller)
+1 Card
+1 Action
Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal a Victory card. Put it into your hand, trash up to one revealed Curse and discard the rest.
-----
When you discard this from play, you may exchange it for a Robin hood.
Robin Hood (Action – Attack – Traveller)
+
Each other player discards a Gold or a Silver from their hand, or reveals a hand with no Golds or Silvers and takes their - token.
-----
When you discard this from play, you may exchange it for a Rumpelstiltskin.
Rumpelstiltskin (Action – Duration)
At the start of each of your turns for the rest of the game, choose one: Gain a Gold to your hand; or turn your Journey token over (it starts face up).
(This stays in play. This is not in the Supply.)
Woah, Pied Piper is super strong! Trashers that draw always tend to be. Yeah you’ll get to keep one lone Estate and one lone Copper (due to their uneven nature in your starting deck), but my oh my what a deal for ! Pied Piper doesn’t need the rest of its line, it’s holding out strong on its own!

Woah Nelly, Master Cat is one wordy boi! So, it is a non-terminal Inheritance! What! This is crazy good! And also, crazily unsupported by its predecessor, Pied Piper. These two cards don’t seem to work too well together. I mean, so does Hero and Treasure Hunter against Champion in the Page Traveller line, but this is because this line is so powerful that it needs to be slowed down a tad. Here, Pied Piper just sabotages Master Cat. Or it seems indicative of that, rather.

Cool Attack with Robin Hood! Very thematic too. I guess Noble Brigand was one of Robin Hood’s goons all along, hahaha! Not much to say here beside that I like this Attack. S’neat.

The last guy in the line, Rumpelstiltskin, is a sort of Bag of Gold variant. Again, not unlike Pied Piper vs Master Cat, this seems to invalidate a lot of Robin Hood’s power. But the bonus is fine, it’s totally fine! I just… I don’t understand what the Journey token does there? To avoid you getting Gold if you didn’t want to clutter your deck? Either it should have given a bonus if it’s face-up (or down, w/e), or it should have just not been there, imo. Right now, it seems tacked on for no reason.

Royal Chamber (Action)
Turn your journey token over (it starts face-up). Then if it’s face up, you may play an Action card from your hand costing less than this four time.
Oh thank God you wrote “that costs less than this”. We do not want Royal Chambers to start playing other Royal Chambers and aaaahhhh! Note that, in my opinion, this is still a pretty strong card. A terminal Silver Action card will always be a Province, for instance. A simple stupid little Cantrip pumps out Actions and draws way more than it thought it could, which in turns allow you to play other Royal Chambers to turn that Journey token all over again.

Another nerf is that it has to collide with another Action card (and a legal one too) for this to work. So does Throne Room and King’s Court. But this has an even longer buffer time for it to work again, because of the Journey token. And the Actions it can play are more limited too. So drawing it in a dud hand is even more feelsbad. Still, I like Royal Chamber!

Collector (Action)
You may put a card on your Tavern mat whose copy is not there, from your hand. + per differently named cards on your Tavern Mat.
Adventures and Cornucopia’s love child!
I think I’m going to have to side with people who claimed that this is weak here. Especially for a card. This has, of course, the Miser problem of being slow to begin with. And since it is so limited in how it can remove cards from your hand, it’s pretty weak at that too. Miser gets rid of stuff you didn’t want to begin with and profits out of that. Here, you’ll get one Copper and one Estate out, hardly a cool way of getting your deck under control. And because it costs , in a 3/4 split, it’ll even take you longer to get there. It’s true that it can also get rid of a Province, a Duchy and even a Silver, stuff that usually have more benefit for you being on your Tavern mat, but it’s pretty late in the game for it to spike by that point.

Alehouse (Action – Reserve)
Put the top 3 cards of your deck on your Tavern mat. You may put this on your Tavern mat.
-----
At the start of your turn, you may call this to put any number of non-Reserve cards from your Tavern mat into your hand.
Wow, this seems strong! It is excellent in fact. It filters your deck and gets rid of crap you don’t want in it. AND, not unlike stuff like Bounty Hunter, Island and Sanctuary, it does it without making you lose any ! Putting a Province on your Tavern mat is an incredible offer and ensures your deck can keep going even when you green. Alehouse can also easily mega turn, eating your deck and putting it on your Tavern mat, ready to be called when you just want to explode. I guess a limiting factor of this card is that you want it sort of early in your hand. It being at the bottom or close to the bottom of your deck is just maaaaan. Still, despite being terminal, I can’t help but have the feeling that Alehouse compares pretty well to stuff like Archive.

Semi-finalists: Archer line; Horde

Finalists: Paladin; Royal Chamber

Winner: Salesman

Ughhh. Choosing always makes me queasy. I hate having to categorise cards in tiers like this, but a judge’s gotta judge. In the end, I’ve fell in love with the very original Salesman Event, which has a very exciting setup clause. Even if this Event is not too wild and out-there when you buy it, I love it regardless, and can see it having a nice little spot in Adventures. Paladin and Royal Chamber both came close to the top. They’re very interesting cards in themselves. I love their design as well, but uh, only one card can win, unfortunately :-\ . Still, congrats, guys!
Bottom text

grrgrrgrr

• Explorer
  • Respect: +415
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: December 13, 2020, 02:14:55 pm »
+4

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay! Also congratz to the finalists and to X-tra's amazing judging.

Anyway, this week's expansion to is Empires, aka Prosperity 2.0. Your submissions should use at least one of the following mechanics.

* Landmarks 
* VP-tokens
* Debt
* Split piles

Since this is about expanding Empires, the following is off-limits:
* Night cards
* Ways and Projects
* Heirlooms, States and Artifacts
* Cards that use materials that are present in other expansions, but not empires. These materials include, but are not limited to, Teacher tokens, Villagers, Coffers, Boons/Hexes, Spirits, Spoils, Ruins, Horses, the Tavern Mat and the Exile.
* Reserve cards, even if you somehow bypass the need for a Tavern mat.

At this point, there is no objection against the overpay mechanic, or any of the other below-the-line stuff you see on Dominion cards. Travellers are technically acceptable as well (the mechanic is self contained and existed prior to Empires), although the chance of winning with such submission is extremely low.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2020, 02:28:23 pm by grrgrrgrr »

Jonatan Djurachkovitch

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jonis20004
  • Respect: +95
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: December 14, 2020, 02:11:06 pm »

Here's my submission. It uses a mat, but if that's not ok I have a spare card to submit.
Lease - Action - $3
+2 Cards
Play a Treasure card from your Lease mat and pay its $. +1 VP per $ you paid.
-
When you gain this, put up to two Treasure cards from your hand onto your Lease mat.
Empires has a lot of ways to score alt-vp, and here's another one! This is intresting, since it can be used just to thin, or as a way to score a lot of points, depending on how you use it. And when you're done with it, it just becomes a Moat.

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: December 14, 2020, 03:50:36 pm »
+3

Entry:

Colossus - Landmark
When scoring, count your Action and Treasure cards. -2VP per 1 difference between them.
Build your deck to have a mix of action and Treasure cards. Crown would count as 1 for both so it basically has no effect. Maybe this is boring, but the viable strategies are at least fairly varied in Empires.

Here's my submission. It uses a mat, but if that's not ok I have a spare card to submit.
Lease - Action - $3
+2 Cards
-
When you gain this, put up to two Treasure cards from your hand onto your Lease mat.
Empires has a lot of ways to score alt-vp, and here's another one! This is intresting, since it can be used just to thin, or as a way to score a lot of points, depending on how you use it. And when you're done with it, it just becomes a Moat.
By thinning your deck, do you mean temporarily as 2 Coppers are put aside? As it reads, you set aside 2 Treasures onto the mat on gain, then on play take them off the mat, put them in play then discard at Clean-up. It's a very weak niche compared to its VP potential; but that potential is interesting with sacrificing economy temporarily.

Xen3k

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: December 14, 2020, 09:02:00 pm »
+1

Offerings - $4
+$2
Each player (including you) may discard a card to draw a card.
-
When you discard this other than during Clean-up, you may trash this for +1 Action and +2VP.

Empire is a really difficult set for me to come up with designs, for some reason. Well, this is basically Horse Trader with an alternate reaction effect and no +buy. Best in conjunction with trash for benefits, which Empire actually has quite a few. The discard trigger for the reaction allows it to combo with itself, but relying on Offerings alone to win probably is not the best strategy. Not sure if I like it, but this is what I got for now. Feedback/criticisms would be appreciated.

Edit: Changes have been made. It is now a terminal Silver with a universal discard to draw effect. It no longer gives VP when trashed, only when discarded and then trashed. However, it does give +1 Action when you get the VP. There is a corner case issue in regards to Exile and discarding from it. This has the potential of being busted, but seeing as this is for Empire I am not sure it would be valid to use Exile in the card text.

OLD VERSION

Offerings - $4
+$3
Discard 2 cards.
-
When you discard this other than during Clean-up, you may trash this.
When you trash this, +2VP.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 10:32:28 pm by Xen3k »

Jonatan Djurachkovitch

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jonis20004
  • Respect: +95
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: December 15, 2020, 02:02:03 am »

Lease - Action - $3
+2 Cards
-
By thinning your deck, do you mean temporarily as 2 Coppers are put aside? As it reads, you set aside 2 Treasures onto the mat on gain, then on play take them off the mat, put them in play then discard at Clean-up. It's a very weak niche compared to its VP potential; but that potential is interesting with sacrificing economy temporarily.
Yeah, I mean that you can use it to set aside coppers temporarily.

gambit05

• Minion
  • Respect: +495
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: December 15, 2020, 09:54:57 am »
+1

Offerings - $4
+$3
Discard 2 cards.
-
When you discard this other than during Clean-up, you may trash this.
When you trash this, +2VP.

Empire is a really difficult set for me to come up with designs, for some reason. Well, this is basically Horse Trader with an alternate reaction effect and no +buy. Best in conjunction with trash for benefits, which Empire actually has quite a few. The discard trigger for the reaction allows it to combo with itself, but relying on Offerings alone to win probably is not the best strategy. Not sure if I like it, but this is what I got for now. Feedback/criticisms would be appreciated.

I think "...you may trash this for +2VP" is sufficient.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: December 15, 2020, 10:09:05 am »
+1

I think the card is too similar to Horse Traders
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 24  All

Page created in 0.794 seconds with 21 queries.