Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 24  All

Author Topic: Set Expansion Contest  (Read 79814 times)

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
Re: Set Expansion Contest
« Reply #275 on: December 03, 2020, 11:46:58 am »

Alright, pivoting to new idea

Crone • $5 • Action - Attack - Duration
Until the start of your next turn, whenever another player gains a card that costs $4 or more, they draw one fewer card when drawing a new hand at the end of their turn.

At the start of your next turn, +$2, +1 Buy

Adventures introduced a new style of duration-attack, one which changes the rules for other players on their turns as the attack, then gives a benefit at the start of your next turn (Haunted Woods, Swamp Hag - these also showed up in later expansions as Enchantress & Gatekeeper). Adventures also doesn't have a typical Militia variant, instead leaning on the –1 Card token for everything but Soldier. This kinda splits the difference - each other player controls how hard the militia style attack hits. The "cares about quantity of gains" aspect of Treasure Hunter is here. It's also a good counter to a magpie+money deck early on. It only triggers on $4+ because those early silvers can be so crucial and getting hit for taking them (or curses via cursed gold, or whatever) can be too brutal; this also provides some fun interaction with Ferry, since other players can pick which card gets to bypass the Crone.

Did you want the effect to be based on quantity of buys or gains?
ah, good catch, that was a late change; gains. I've modified the OP

grep

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +449
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: December 03, 2020, 12:29:29 pm »
+1

Until the start of your next turn, whenever another player gains a card that costs $4 or more, they draw one fewer card when drawing a new hand at the end of their turn.

A more Adventures style (and a bit less harsh attack) would be to make them take the -1 Card token

Timinou

• Witch
  • Respect: +634
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: December 03, 2020, 12:30:46 pm »

Adventures introduced a new style of duration-attack, one which changes the rules for other players on their turns as the attack, then gives a benefit at the start of your next turn (Haunted Woods, Swamp Hag - these also showed up in later expansions as Enchantress & Gatekeeper). Adventures also doesn't have a typical Militia variant, instead leaning on the –1 Card token for everything but Soldier. This kinda splits the difference - each other player controls how hard the militia style attack hits. The "cares about quantity of gains" aspect of Treasure Hunter is here. It's also a good counter to a magpie+money deck early on. It only triggers on $4+ because those early silvers can be so crucial and getting hit for taking them (or curses via cursed gold, or whatever) can be too brutal; this also provides some fun interaction with Ferry, since other players can pick which card gets to bypass the Crone.

Do you think that there should be a cap on how many fewer cards a player would have to draw?  Otherwise, this could potentially be brutal in a game with something like Jesters.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: December 03, 2020, 01:37:27 pm »

A more Adventures style (and a bit less harsh attack) would be to make them take the -1 Card token

I'm aware; I even mentioned it in the ramble of the original post. I think It's more interesting to give an escalating penalty for using things like "Ball", "Disciple" or a deck that aims to gain the "Magpie" pile; Also this lets it stack a la Swamp Hag when you play multiples of them.

Do you think that there should be a cap on how many fewer cards a player would have to draw?  Otherwise, this could potentially be brutal in a game with something like Jesters.

I don't think there should be a cap (i mean, there's a de facto cap anyway of hitting five times), but I think the affected gaining should be on their turn (lest this combo too well with Messenger). I'll revise. It should be on a each player to dig their own grave with this.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 01:50:02 pm by spineflu »

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: December 03, 2020, 02:00:33 pm »
+1

also i think this is all a moot point because that style of attack-duration isn't on the accepted submissions list

so once again, back to the drawing board, to make:

Horde • $4 • Action - Attack - Duration
Turn your Journey token over (it starts face up). If it's face-down, each other player takes their -1 Card token. If it's face up, each other player gets +1 Card then discards down to 3 cards in hand.

At the start of your next turn, +2 Cards.

now it works because adventure tokens. yay. also i went with the margrave handsize attack rather than the legionary variation one so it'd be less brutal.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 03:17:24 pm by spineflu »

LordBaphomet

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: LordBaphomet
  • Respect: +161
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: December 03, 2020, 04:14:37 pm »
+2

I've been out of it for a while, but its nice seeing my idea still alive :)
This card took adventure tokens and ran with it. You can make it a lab, a village, a peddler, whatever you want!
Hail Satan, hail yourself!

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: December 03, 2020, 10:49:15 pm »
+1

I have a few reserve cards from a mini fan expansion that have been decently well tested, but I decided to live on the edge and enter this completely untested Hamlet/Lab Reserve card instead.

Paladin
$5 - Action - Reserve
+2 Cards, +1 Action.
Discard up to two cards. For each card you discarded, choose one: +1 Action, +1 Buy, +$1.
Put this on your Tavern mat.
-
At the start of your turn, you may discard a card to discard this from your tavern mat.

gambit05

• Minion
  • Respect: +495
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: December 04, 2020, 02:09:33 pm »
+1

My submission:

Archer
$2 – Action –Traveller

When you gain a card this
turn, you may put it onto
your deck.
----------------------
When you discard this from
     play, you may exchange it for     
an Architect.

Architect
$3* – Action –Traveller

Look through your discard pile.
You may play an Action card
from it or from your hand.
----------------------
When you discard this
  from play, you may exchange it   
for a Herder.

(This is not in the Supply.)

Herder
$4* – Action – Attack - Traveller

Each other player discards
down to 3 cards in hand.
----------------------
When you discard this from play,
you may exchange it for a Nymph
  and you may put another card you   
discard from play onto your deck.

Nymph
$5* – Action – Reserve - Traveller

+4 Cards
----------------------
At the start of your turn, you may
call this, to exchange it for a Suitor.
If you don’t, +1 Card and +1 Buy.

Suitor
$6* - Action – Duration

At the start of each of your turns,
set aside the top 5 cards of your
deck, face up. Play an Action card
from them twice. Discard any
number of the remaining cards
and put the rest back in any order.

(This stays in play. This is not
in the Supply.)

Theme
This Traveller line is dedicated to Odysseus, of whom they say that he travelled a lot. The names of the cards reflect various people and creatures Odysseus met during his journeys.

Mechanics
The card effects are centered around moving cards, often in non-conventional ways, e.g. from discard to deck, discard to play, play to deck, deck to play, hand to discard, whatever. In this way, there is quite some interaction between the different cards of this Traveller line. With good timing and the right combination of Traveller cards, a swift progression can be achieved and sometimes it can be the better option to not exchange a card.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 02:12:33 pm by gambit05 »

LordBaphomet

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: LordBaphomet
  • Respect: +161
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: December 04, 2020, 06:05:36 pm »
+1

My submission:

Archer
$2 – Action –Traveller

When you gain a card this
turn, you may put it onto
your deck.
----------------------
When you discard this from
     play, you may exchange it for     
an Architect.

Architect
$3* – Action –Traveller

Look through your discard pile.
You may play an Action card
from it or from your hand.
----------------------
When you discard this
  from play, you may exchange it   
for a Herder.

Herder
$4* – Action – Attack - Traveller

Each other player discards
down to 3 cards in hand.
----------------------
When you discard this from play,
you may exchange it for a Nymph
  and you may put another card you   
discard from play onto your deck.

Nymph
$5* – Action – Reserve - Traveller

+4 Cards
----------------------
At the start of your turn, you may
call this, to exchange it for a Suitor.
If you don’t, +1 Card and +1 Buy.

Suitor
$6* - Action – Duration

At the start of each of your turns,
set aside the top 5 cards of your
deck, face up. Play an Action card
from them twice. Discard any
number of the remaining cards
and put the rest back in any order.

(This stays in play. This is not
in the Supply.)

Theme
This Traveller line is dedicated to Odysseus, of whom they say that he travelled a lot. The names of the cards reflect various people and creatures Odysseus met during his journeys.

Mechanics
The card effects are centered around moving cards, often in non-conventional ways, e.g. from discard to deck, discard to play, play to deck, deck to play, hand to discard, whatever. In this way, there is quite some interaction between the different cards of this Traveller line. With good timing and the right combination of Traveller cards, a swift progression can be achieved and sometimes it can be the better option to not exchange a card.
I feel that architect is a bit weak... play an action from your hand is equal to +1 Action so its mian selling point is that it plays from discard, and it wouldn't be uncommon early game to not have any actions in the discard.
Hail Satan, hail yourself!

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +581
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: December 04, 2020, 08:59:22 pm »
+3

Street Illusionist - $4
Action - Command - Reserve
Choose one: Put this on your Tavern mat; or play a non-Command, non-Reserve Action card from your Tavern mat, leaving it there.
----
Directly after you finish playing a Non-Duration Action card, you may call this to put it on your Tavern mat.

A build your own Band of Misfits. Certainly slower than Band, but can play cards of any cost as long as you have bought one and sent it to the Tavern. Really not sure if the price is correct. I think $3 would be too little, but with the amount of work needed to just make it functional, $5 would be too much. Feedback is more than welcome!

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #285 on: December 04, 2020, 10:44:00 pm »
+1

Just a reminder that these contests started out as being about adding a card to each set, so entries should ideally mix in with them well. I'm not the host of this one, of course, just saying.
About this… Yes, I guess that ideally, the submitted card should fill a niche that is not found within the expansion currently being judged. Likewise, on paper, it’d be cool if it could complement the other existing cards of the expansion in a meaningful way.

However, I did not make that point clear in my competition post; and so I won’t hold it against any entry submitted this week. For instance, there is already a “-1 Coin” token Attack (Bridge Troll) in Adventures, but that won’t affect your submission if you too wish to submit an Attack card that also uses that token. IRL, that’d feel redundant. But here, it’s all good. I won’t subtract any point toward your card if such a situation occurs. :)

Should I win another contest (I doubt that, but let’s dream amIrite), I’ll address this more clearly.

also i think this is all a moot point because that style of attack-duration isn't on the accepted submissions list
I honestly would not have minded an "Attack – Duration" card as the inspiration for this week’s contest. I mean, I know it wasn’t on my contest post, but I ain’t so stuck-up on rules that I can’t judge the card for what it is. Besides, my contest post is merely an inspiration for what’s expected here. It’s not a hard-coded guideline :) . Plus, you explained where the borrowed mechanic came from, so it’s not like that was a super random idea.
Bottom text

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: December 04, 2020, 11:14:07 pm »

I honestly would not have minded an "Attack – Duration" card as the inspiration for this week’s contest. I mean, I know it wasn’t on my contest post, but I ain’t so stuck-up on rules that I can’t judge the card for what it is. Besides, my contest post is merely an inspiration for what’s expected here. It’s not a hard-coded guideline :) . Plus, you explained where the borrowed mechanic came from, so it’s not like that was a super random idea.

I hear you; I'm actually pretty happy with Horde as it's less contentious and also it has a neat is-a-counter-to-itself factor (kinda like Haunted Woods).
« Last Edit: December 05, 2020, 02:13:28 pm by spineflu »

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: December 05, 2020, 02:12:04 am »

This is a Traveler line with quite some intra-line interactions. In the 2 games I have played with it, it was a bit too centralizing.
Potential changes I consider is raising the price by 1 Coin as well as reducing the Coffers yields of Mauler.

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: December 05, 2020, 02:52:29 am »
+2

I just had a quick look without trying to understand all the interactions and whether cards are balanced or not, but two things I realised immediately:

1) Since this is supposed to be a contribution to the Adventures expansion, the usage of Coffers looks out of place.
2) Assuming no Attack cards other than those of this Traveller line are in the Kingdom, isn't it easily possible by other players to block any progress by ignoring the line?

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: December 05, 2020, 02:56:47 am »

I feel that architect is a bit weak... play an action from your hand is equal to +1 Action so its mian selling point is that it plays from discard, and it wouldn't be uncommon early game to not have any actions in the discard.

Thank you for your feedback. You have pointed out Architect’s abilities exactly the way it was intended to be. Architect without (or even with) context might be a bit weak, but that is meant to be part of the challenge to find a way to quickly progress through the Traveller line. This also encourages entering the line multiple times. The idea is that the top-decking abilities of Archer (and Herder) can manipulate when certain Action cards are in the discard. The "play from discard" is indeed the main ability; play from hand is meant to serve as a back up. Thanks.

grrgrrgrr

• Explorer
  • Respect: +415
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: December 05, 2020, 08:08:03 am »
+3

I think this one fits right here. The above-the-line part is intended to be simple and not overly impactful. The main feature should be the below-the-line part.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2020, 08:13:34 am by grrgrrgrr »

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: December 05, 2020, 08:22:12 am »
+1

I just had a quick look without trying to understand all the interactions and whether cards are balanced or not, but two things I realised immediately:

1) Since this is supposed to be a contribution to the Adventures expansion, the usage of Coffers looks out of place.
2) Assuming no Attack cards other than those of this Traveller line are in the Kingdom, isn't it easily possible by other players to block any progress by ignoring the line?
About the Coffers, they matter due to the swinginess of Mauler. But of course one can nerf Mauler and make Coins out of it.

I guess you refer to Cavalry. Putting the card on the Tavern mat is an option, it is not mandatory.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2020, 08:55:20 am by segura »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3189
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: December 05, 2020, 09:26:49 am »
+1

I've also designed a traveler line, this one with a somewhat different story.

You can buy extra Orphans to activate your later travelers more often.

Edit: Ugh, I notice the 'not in the supply) thing is missing; I'll edit that in later.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2020, 09:38:41 am by silverspawn »

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +581
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: December 05, 2020, 09:44:26 am »

I've also designed a traveler line, this one with a somewhat different story.

You can buy extra Orphans to activate your later travelers more often.

Edit: Ugh, I notice the 'not in the supply) thing is missing; I'll edit that in later.

I like the Traveler series, but I am afraid Night cards would not be a valid type for Adventure, as I understand the rules. The design challenge is still to make something that could have been added to the set upon the sets release, afaik.

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: December 05, 2020, 09:53:42 am »

About the Coffers, they matter due to the swinginess of Mauler. But of course one can nerf Mauler and make Coins out of it.

I guess you refer to Cavalry. Putting the card on the Tavern mat is an option, it is not mandatory.

Oh yes, I missed that little detail. I just saw Reserve and my brain concluded this has to go to the Tavern mat. I should have read your cards more carefully before commenting. So yes, this shouldn't be a problem. Sorry.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3189
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: December 05, 2020, 10:06:01 am »
+1

Aw :( But that makes sense. I don't want to change them (I like the night switch), so I'll keep them around to use once they qualify for a WDC challenge and design a new entry for this one.

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: December 05, 2020, 10:33:22 am »

Aw :( But that makes sense. I don't want to change them (I like the night switch), so I'll keep them around to use once they qualify for a WDC challenge and design a new entry for this one.

You should also add (This is not in the Supply.) to the cards.

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: December 05, 2020, 10:50:40 am »
+1

Street Illusionist - $4
Action - Command - Reserve
Choose one: Put this on your Tavern mat; or play a non-Command, non-Reserve Action card from your Tavern mat, leaving it there.
----
Directly after you finish playing a Non-Duration Action card, you may call this to put it on your Tavern mat.

A build your own Band of Misfits. Certainly slower than Band, but can play cards of any cost as long as you have bought one and sent it to the Tavern. Really not sure if the price is correct. I think $3 would be too little, but with the amount of work needed to just make it functional, $5 would be too much. Feedback is more than welcome!

This looks like a very nice concept. I think it shouldn't cost $3, but that it may be even too strong for $4. Once you have a key Action card on the Tavern mat, you could just play it afterward with a bunch of Street Illusionists and some Village support. The point is that a lot of the strong cards (e.g. Junkers) are terminal and on the mat they do not hinder your deck.

Timinou

• Witch
  • Respect: +634
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: December 05, 2020, 06:59:06 pm »
+2

I decided to go the Traveller route, because why pass up the opportunity to subject you all to five mediocre cards instead of just one!  :P
The theme is inspired by classic fairy tales, so it might stray a little bit outside of the feel of Adventures.

Pied Piper: A fairly nondescript card which is probably more interesting when playing with certain Kingdom cards from other expansions, but in any case, you're probably buying this for the upgrades.

Master Cat: My stab at converting Inheritance into a card.  Rules clarification: if you have already set aside a card using either Master Cat or Inheritance, and you play Master Cat again, return the previously set aside card to its supply pile.

Huntsman: I toyed with the idea of discarding all revealed Curses, but felt that might be too strong.  Could be possible to combo this with Master Cat.

Robin Hood: Noble Brigand variant.  You could stack these to force opponents to discard all their Golds and Silvers, but the idea here is that "poor" players only get hit once by this attack since they have only one -1 token.   

Rumplestiltskin: The main idea here was to be able to build a powerful engine with Giants or Rangers, but it also needed to give you an alternative to ensure that this remains useful in a game without other cards/events that use Journey tokens. 

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: December 05, 2020, 10:38:22 pm »

Cavalry is already an existing official card (in Menagerie).
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 24  All

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 21 queries.