Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 24  All

Author Topic: Set Expansion Contest  (Read 79810 times)

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
Re: Set Expansion Contest
« Reply #250 on: November 24, 2020, 05:05:46 pm »
+1

Sampan - Action, $4 cost.
+1 Action
+ $2

Once this turn, when you gain a Treasure, you may play it for +1 Buy.
-
When you gain this, play up to 4 Treasures from your discard pile.
The on-play effect I'm sure about except the + $2. The on-gain effect is an add-on largely because there's space for it; I could take it off.

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +581
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: November 24, 2020, 09:50:49 pm »
+3

Monkey - $3
Action
+1 Buy
+ $1
You may play a non-Monkey Action card from your hand. If it costs more than this, gain a Silver, otherwise, gain a Monkey.
----
When you gain this, +$2.

An optionally non-terminal +Buy and Coin. If you take advantage of the non-terminality you get a bonus, either a Silver or another Monkey. When you gain a Monkey you get a coin, so having those +Buys helps. Careful using this as you may balloon your deck full of Silver and Monkeys. Not sure if this is too weak. I could always bump up the below line bonus to make getting more Monkeys more appealing.

Edit: updated per suggestion from Doom_Shark.

Edit 2: Decided to bump up the below line on-gain bonus to +$2 effectively making it cost $1. I think this should be okay as Monkey does not combo with itself in the deck, so having multiples of them can be detrimental, especially if the game is at the point where gaining Silver would be junking your deck.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 09:16:23 pm by Xen3k »

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Doom_Shark
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: November 25, 2020, 09:16:25 am »
+1

Monkey - $3
Action
+1 Buy
+ $1
You may play a non-Monkey Action card. If it costs more than this, gain a Silver, otherwise, gain a Monkey.
----
When you gain this, +$1.

An optionally non-terminal +Buy and Coin. If you take advantage of the non-terminality you get a bonus, either a Silver or another Monkey. When you gain a Monkey you get a coin, so having those +Buys helps. Careful using this as you may balloon your deck full of Silver and Monkeys. Not sure if this is too weak. I could always bump up the below line bonus to make getting more Monkeys more appealing.

You want to specify that the non-monkey card comes from your hand.
"I swear to drunk I'm not officer, God."
Generation 33 The first time you see this, copy it, add 1 to the generation number, and add it to your signature. (On any forum) Social experiment.

Xen3k

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: November 25, 2020, 10:22:02 am »

Monkey - $3
Action
+1 Buy
+ $1
You may play a non-Monkey Action card. If it costs more than this, gain a Silver, otherwise, gain a Monkey.
----
When you gain this, +$1.

You want to specify that the non-monkey card comes from your hand.

Thanks for the feedback. Is it not assumed to be from your hand if not specified, like with discarding? I an still learning all the rules nuances.

Edit: Nevermind, you are right. Just looked at Imp again. Thanks for pointing that out!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 10:24:35 am by Xen3k »

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: November 25, 2020, 01:52:01 pm »
+2

I don’t know, the Silver gaining could degenerate into self-junking.

Xen3k

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: November 25, 2020, 02:53:45 pm »

That is actually intended as a feature. You always do have the option to not play an Action. Too many Monkeys and they may feel like junk as well. Hinterlands has something of a theme of making large decks and filtering through it, I wanted Monkey to be something of a Magpie/Rats/Imp that emphasized that.

Holger

• Minion
  • Respect: +458
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: November 26, 2020, 04:30:01 am »
+1

That is actually intended as a feature. You always do have the option to not play an Action. Too many Monkeys and they may feel like junk as well. Hinterlands has something of a theme of making large decks and filtering through it, I wanted Monkey to be something of a Magpie/Rats/Imp that emphasized that.
Monkey seems quite weak to me. At best, it's a Pouch that automatically gains copies of itself or Silver, junking your deck unless you play Big Money. And if you don't play an Action with it, it's significantly worse than Woodcutter...
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 04:31:43 am by Holger »

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: November 26, 2020, 06:43:20 am »
+1

I agree that it is weakish but think that it is more interesting than Herbalist which is the most similar card, vanilla- and cost-wise (I really like the below the line stuff, simple and novel).

Xen3k

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: November 26, 2020, 10:52:43 am »
+2

I was thinking of changing the below line on-buy bonus to +$2 effectively making it only cost $1 if you have the extra buy. Likewise this would make it act as a better-than-Woodcutter if you gain a Monkey off playing a Monkey and Action card. Thank you for the feedback so far, please feel free to provide more.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: November 26, 2020, 12:38:21 pm »
+1

That is more radical but perhaps also more interesting, especially with gainers / remodelers.
Play Remake, trash 2 Estates, gain 2 Monkeys and get 4 Coins.

grep

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +449
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: November 30, 2020, 10:27:47 am »
+2

24 Hour Notice

grep

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: December 01, 2020, 06:05:39 pm »
+2

I got some urgent work, will judge later tonight

grep

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: December 02, 2020, 02:17:33 am »
+5

Contest 9: Hinterlands - Judging time
Sorry for being brief, it's almost midnight, and I'm trying to do my best before falling asleep

Magistrate by LittleFish

Baron for Duchies and endgame accelerator, Nobles' best friend. Will it give cash when a Victory card is not revealed? I assume yes, otherwise it's too weak. The on gain "non-attack" cannot be reacted or deflected, similar to Masquerade, which might be confusing.

Missionary by X-Tra

The pace of this card makes it one of the strongest first turn purchases possible, while silver gaining slows it down and avoids insanity. This card probably needs a more brutal name, taking into account the self-synergy when Missionaries trash each other.

Short List

Vizier by spineflu

This Bureaucrat remake looks stronger than the original, as it attacks all the hands, not just those with Victory cards. Topdecking the cheapest card is marginally stronger than topdecking anything, but might be very strong in the game opening - I would consider sometimes opening with two Viziers.

Pyramid by silverspawn

This one is probably the closest to the Hinterlands theme, rhyming with Crossroads and Stables. Relatively weak on play effect unless paired with a Kingdom treasure (Tunnel is the best friend)

Short List

Pioneer by gambit05

Remodeling the topdeck is weak in the beginning when the topdeck is likely a Copper. I would consider +Action to let multiple Pioneers work on the same card.

Sampan by Aquila

Action Silver with a nice and balanced on play effect (net gain a Silver and +$1 or a Gold for -$1). The on buy may be enormous in bloated hands, but it requires more memorizing of the discard pile contents than a casual player can do.

Monkey by Xen3k

Extremely cheap weakened Imp, properly named. Will spam you to death unless you find a way to get use of all those Silvers. Works as a last resort source of +Buys.

Final Verdict:

Winner: Missionary by X-Tra
Runner Up: Pyramid by silverspawn

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #263 on: December 02, 2020, 09:03:40 am »
+4

Thank you for picking the good ol' Missionary, Grep! :)

CONTEST 10: ADVENTURES

After detouring to Hinterlands, we go back on track with Adventures! There’s quite a lot to do here, so let’s break it down. Accepted submissions will be about:
  • Reserve cards. Or cards that aren’t Reserve, but that use the Tavern Mat anyway (ex: Miser).
  • Adventure tokens. All of the tokens that come within Adventures are accepted. List is here.
  • Traveller lines. You can be creative about this one! Doesn’t even need to be a 5-cards Traveller line. You could make it 3 cards long, for instance. Just… uh, make it more than 2 cards, I suppose.
  • Events. Yup, submitting an Event is all good!
  • Permanent Duration cards. This one’s a stretch, but I’ll accept it. Hireling and Champion introduced a variant on Duration cards: cards that stay in play ‘til the end of the game. You can do one of these cards if you so wish.
Now. While Duration cards make a Triumphant return in Adventures, they shan’t be the main focus of your card. They’re accepted, of course, so long as something else mentioned in the list above appears on your card (ex: A Duration card that uses Adventures tokens; or even a Duration card that stays in play permanently).

Judging will be done on the 11th of December 2020 (2020-12-11). It's in a week and 2 days. I'm giving this contest a little more time than the usual 1 week rule since this thread seems a little slower and has fewer submissions than the Weekly Design Contest thread.
Bottom text

grep

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: December 02, 2020, 12:31:59 pm »
+1

Homage
Event - $0
Once per turn: Discard a Victory card from your hand to gain a cheaper card.

I'm going for a card gaining Event similar to Alms and Pilgrimage, significantly altering the pattern of the game. You will probably like to get an early Province for faster development, and the end game junked hands turn into Duchy gainers.

Timinou

• Witch
  • Respect: +634
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: December 02, 2020, 01:42:17 pm »
+2

Homage
Event - $0

I'm going for a card gaining Event similar to Alms and Pilgrimage, significantly altering the pattern of the game. You will probably like to get an early Province for faster development, and the end game junked hands turn into Duchy gainers.

Nice!  It would pair well with something like Ranger that would let you cycle through your deck faster to draw a Province and also give you +1 Buy. 

How did you decide on a cost of $0?  It seems a lot more powerful than Alms, assuming you are able to get an early Province (or a Noble). 

mandioca15

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +237
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: December 02, 2020, 01:52:02 pm »
+2

Catalyst (Action-Reserve, $4)

+1 Action
Put this on your Tavern mat.
---
When you gain an Action card, you may call this, to immediately play it.

An Innovation variant that lets you wait for the right card to use it on.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #267 on: December 02, 2020, 04:29:02 pm »

Roustabout • $3 • Action - Duration
At the start of your turn, you may discard a Treasure for +2 Cards, then discard a card.
(This stays in play)

Hireling but filtering. Keeps your handsize the same. Costs a treasure to use. Stack them to ensure a good action/victory/night density in every hand.

edit: this is withdrawn
« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 10:14:55 am by spineflu »

Holger

• Minion
  • Respect: +458
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: December 02, 2020, 05:35:25 pm »
+1

Homage
Event - $0

Nice!  It would pair well with something like Ranger that would let you cycle through your deck faster to draw a Province and also give you +1 Buy. 

How did you decide on a cost of $0?  It seems a lot more powerful than Alms, assuming you are able to get an early Province (or a Noble).

Yes, when there's strong $5-$7 cards of which you want many copies (e.g. KC or Goons), this probably gives more incentive to buy an early Province (or two) than Tournament, as it turns them into a kind of super-University.
Being able to gain a free Platinum or Province whenever you have a Colony in hand also sounds extremely strong.

Still, it's a very interesting concept. Maybe you want to give Homage a cost of $2 or $3, or limit the cost of the gained card to $4 or $5?  Then it'd still work fine with Duchies and most kingdom victory cards, but wouldn't become insane with Provinces and Colonies.

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: December 02, 2020, 05:59:55 pm »
+3

Astronomer - Action Reserve, $2 cost.
+1 Action
Put this on your Tavern mat.
-
When you shuffle, you may call this, to first pick one of the cards and put it into your hand. After shuffling, discard this.
This is from a very early WDC. I've been playing with it some and it looks convincing to me. It's a delayed cantrip that picks any card from your deck to draw, but it misses shuffles.

At the start of your turn, you may discard a Treasure for +2 Cards, then discard a card.
(This stays in play)

Hireling but filtering. Keeps your handsize the same. Costs a treasure to use. Stack them to ensure a good action/victory/night density in every hand.
Don't you think this is similar to Dungeon, or a rotation of 2 Dungeons?

Just a reminder that these contests started out as being about adding a card to each set, so entries should ideally mix in with them well. I'm not the host of this one, of course, just saying.

gambit05

• Minion
  • Respect: +495
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: December 03, 2020, 01:51:38 am »

After shuffling, discard this.

Is there a particular idea behind this last part? Isn't it simpler to just leave it in the playing area (after calling) and discard it during Clean up, or is it intended that it can be picked up again in the same turn?

I am just asking. I like the simple idea, and if there is no particular reason, you could simplify the wording of the card even more.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: December 03, 2020, 08:50:00 am »

(This stays in play)

Don't you think this is similar to Dungeon, or a rotation of 2 Dungeons?

Just a reminder that these contests started out as being about adding a card to each set, so entries should ideally mix in with them well. I'm not the host of this one, of course, just saying.

oof, yeah way too close to dungeon; for whatever reason i thought Dungeon wasn't from adventures but yeah, way too close. Lemme think up something else.

Timinou

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: December 03, 2020, 09:53:05 am »

Homage
Event - $0

Yes, when there's strong $5-$7 cards of which you want many copies (e.g. KC or Goons), this probably gives more incentive to buy an early Province (or two) than Tournament, as it turns them into a kind of super-University.
Being able to gain a free Platinum or Province whenever you have a Colony in hand also sounds extremely strong.

Still, it's a very interesting concept. Maybe you want to give Homage a cost of $2 or $3, or limit the cost of the gained card to $4 or $5?  Then it'd still work fine with Duchies and most kingdom victory cards, but wouldn't become insane with Provinces and Colonies.

I like the idea of Homage becoming super powerful in kingdoms with Colonies, so my personal preference would be to see the cost tweaked (could even be based on the cost of the Victory card being discarded) or only being able to trigger the ability of Homage if certain conditions are met (e.g. having a copy of the discarded Victory card in hand or a certain number of cards in play).       

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: December 03, 2020, 10:37:54 am »
+1

Alright, pivoting to new idea

Crone • $5 • Action - Attack - Duration
Until the start of your next turn, whenever another player gains a card that costs $4 or more on their turn, they draw one fewer card when drawing a new hand at the end of their turn.

At the start of your next turn, +$2, +1 Buy

Adventures introduced a new style of duration-attack, one which changes the rules for other players on their turns as the attack, then gives a benefit at the start of your next turn (Haunted Woods, Swamp Hag - these also showed up in later expansions as Enchantress & Gatekeeper). Adventures also doesn't have a typical Militia variant, instead leaning on the –1 Card token for everything but Soldier. This kinda splits the difference - each other player controls how hard the militia style attack hits. The "cares about quantity of gains" aspect of Treasure Hunter is here. It's also a good counter to a magpie+money deck early on. It only triggers on $4+ because those early silvers can be so crucial and getting hit for taking them (or curses via cursed gold, or whatever) can be too brutal; this also provides some fun interaction with Ferry, since other players can pick which card gets to bypass the Crone.

Edit: this is also withdrawn
« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 03:03:38 pm by spineflu »

Timinou

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: December 03, 2020, 11:27:33 am »

Alright, pivoting to new idea

Crone • $5 • Action - Attack - Duration
Until the start of your next turn, whenever another player gains a card that costs $4 or more, they draw one fewer card when drawing a new hand at the end of their turn.

At the start of your next turn, +$2, +1 Buy

Adventures introduced a new style of duration-attack, one which changes the rules for other players on their turns as the attack, then gives a benefit at the start of your next turn (Haunted Woods, Swamp Hag - these also showed up in later expansions as Enchantress & Gatekeeper). Adventures also doesn't have a typical Militia variant, instead leaning on the –1 Card token for everything but Soldier. This kinda splits the difference - each other player controls how hard the militia style attack hits. The "cares about quantity of gains" aspect of Treasure Hunter is here. It's also a good counter to a magpie+money deck early on. It only triggers on $4+ because those early silvers can be so crucial and getting hit for taking them (or curses via cursed gold, or whatever) can be too brutal; this also provides some fun interaction with Ferry, since other players can pick which card gets to bypass the Crone.

Did you want the effect to be based on quantity of buys or gains?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 11:28:34 am by Timinou »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 24  All

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 21 queries.