Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 24  All

Author Topic: Set Expansion Contest  (Read 79795 times)

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
Re: Set Expansion Contest
« Reply #225 on: November 20, 2020, 09:11:22 am »
+3

Atelier
cost $5 - Action
+1 Coffer
Remove any number of tokens from your Coffers. For each token removed, gain a card costing up to $4.
---
When you gain this, +1 Coffer.

EDIT: removed overpaying effect. Let's enjoy grabbing a pile.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 10:38:09 pm by majiponi »

grep

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +449
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: November 20, 2020, 01:12:39 pm »
+4

Atelier
cost $4+ - Action
+1 Coffer
Remove any number of tokens from your Coffers. For each token removed, gain a card costing up to $4.
---
When you buy this, you may overpay for it. For each $1 you overpaid, +1 Coffer.
The overpay option is probably OP: you can stock all the unused $ into Coffers (compare to Pageant which is quite a strong Event and only stores 1$)
Gain for Coffers is an easy way to empty a pile, extremely devastating with Highway. I would fix it by allowing to gain differently named cards

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: November 22, 2020, 06:54:00 am »
+1

24 hour notice. Get your action cards in while they're hot! That doesn't make any sense.

D782802859

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +381
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: November 22, 2020, 10:29:33 am »
+1

grep

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: November 22, 2020, 11:15:54 am »
+5

I'll try to jump into the leaving train.

Caravel
$5 - Action
Reveal the top 3 cards from your deck. +1 Coffers per Treasure card revealed.
You may play one of the revealed Action cards. Discard the rest.

Clarification: the rest of the revealed cards are not discarded until the played card is resolved. This is intended to somewhat weaken the power of a chain of Caravels.

LittleFish

• Tactician
  • Respect: +188
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: November 22, 2020, 11:24:05 am »
+1

Guildmaster
Action-
+2 cards.
For every 2 action cards you have in play, +1 coffer. If you have no action cards other than this in play, + and trash this.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: November 23, 2020, 07:08:53 am »
+4

Judgment Day

I've put the non-image cards into images this time; makes formatting easier and I see how much text the card has. Btw, it's Coffers, not Coffer, and vanilla bonuses are always uppercase.

Grand Lodge -- gambit05

Hey, this is the same effect I've just used for Rice Paddy in the WDC thread.

I think it's a great idea!  8)

My idea for the top half was: let's make it a dead card so you're penalized for buying it all the time. Your idea seems to be: let's make it something that works together with the bottom part. I think this demonstrates beyond a reasonable doubt that you're a much nicer person than I am.

It does also have a penalizing effect, though, since you can't really make use of having more than one copy of the top effect.

Runner-up

Milliner -- D782802859

A different spin on Throne Room. No phantom +Action, but easier to use.

The effect is pretty unique and quite elegant. That said, though I don't think it's obvious, I suspect this is probably pretty busted. I've playtested a similar card which had a phantom -1 Action -- which is to say, it allowed you to take cards back into your hand as an effect, requiring you to spend an additional Action to play them. To make it non-awful if you only had 1 Action, you could alternatively top deck it. It was quite strong.

This compares a bit too favorably to Band of Misfits in particular. The effect is probably better, and it doesn't stop working when piles run out.

I like the overpay effect. Overall, this narrowly misses Runner-up status (there are a bit too many of them).

Caravel -- grep

Interesting. Is there any other card that encourages a mixture of Action and Treasure cards in dominion? I'm not sure there is.

For every junk card revealed, this discards a bad card. For every Treasure Card, it gains +1 Coffers. Furthermore, if it hits at least one Action card, you gain +1 Card, +1 Action. This is the best bonus, so you want to hit an Action card, but preferably not more than one.

I suspect this is a bit on the weak side, but I like the effect a lot.

Runner-up.

Banker -- Doom_Shark

As you mentioned, this is a pretty obvious idea. I think the execution is fine. This should be a perfectly reasonable card.

Principality -- spineflu

Interesting idea. So, a few price points: we have 7$ for 5VP (2 cards), 9$ for 8VP (3 cards), 11$ for 11VP (4 cards), 13$ for 13VP (5 cards), and 15$ for 15VP (6 cards). As comparison, Colony is 11$ for 10VP and Dominate is 14$ for 15VP.

So, the card compares not-great to bigger Victory cards. This is probably a good thing since you don't want to Duchy flood every game. The non-overpay part makes it an interesting alternative to Duchy in the late game, and it also helps setting up one big turn.

I like it. it's clever and the numbers seem reasonable.

Runner-up.

Gongfarmer -- Xen3k

Interesting Vanilla Bonus.

If you want to trash coppers with this, it's effectively 1 per 2$ overpaid, since you can't play the coppers from your hand. This makes it less attractive early. There's also the thing where the vanilla bonus and the on-buy do the same thing, so each makes the other less important. I like it; it seems clever. It's neat how it's especially good at trashing curses or ruins.

Runner-up

Atelier -- majiponi

If there are no other ways to gain coin tokens, you effectively gain 2 cards costing 4$ the first time, and 1 after that. This is on the weak side for a card costing 5$, but you'd still buy it. You can also consider it a workshop where you pay an extra 2$ to gain 1 coin token, which is not that bad.

If there are other sources of Coin tokens, you can go empty a pile real quick. Hard to know how it players since no official card does that, but it's not obviously unfun to me. I like it as an experiment.

Runner-up

Guildmaster -- LittleFish

I'm pretty sure this card is busted. It's not rare to play a gazillion Action cards in Dominion, and this card is just bonkers as payload. Won't be rare to gain 5+ coin tokens. There is a bit of a conflict here where the vanilla bonus  makes you want to play the card earlier, to draw stuff, and the lower effect at the end, but I don't think it's enough. You would probably buy this even if it didn't draw any cards. Consider how easy it is to get +2 Cards, +2 coin tokens with this, which is supposedly strong at 5$.

Royal Appointment -- Aquila

Some minus points for too much text here, especially since it is possible to phrase this such that it's at least one line shorter.

The effect is... interesting... in strong decks, you will definitely buy this every non-extra turn. Hard to say how fun it will be, but not a bad idea.

Gangster -- LibraryAdventurer

Unfortunately for you, I'm not a fan of very swingy attacks like Swindler or Mountebank. This feels like that. If this flips a village, it can nuke your turn; the compensation of 1 Coffers doesn't make that significantly less bad.

Also, this wording confuses me. The way I think it should work is that each player other than you (including the one who revealed the card) discards, but the wording seems to suggest that everyone other than the player to your left discards. I'm going to assume it's the former.

It also gets some minus points for too much text.

Final Verdict:
2nd place: Principality
1st place: Caravel

Caravel does a concept that I really think should exist, and it seems well-executed and well-worded.

gambit05

• Minion
  • Respect: +495
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: November 23, 2020, 08:27:04 am »

Many thanks for your efforts, silverspawn. Congratulations to grep for winning, spineflu for the second place and thanks to basically everyone else for participating.

Hey, this is the same effect I've just used for Rice Paddy in the WDC thread.

I think it's a great idea!  8)

Hey, I hope you don't think I haven stolen your idea.

Quote from: silverspawn
My idea for the top half was: let's make it a dead card so you're penalized for buying it all the time. Your idea seems to be: let's make it something that works together with the bottom part.

I wanted to go for the overpay effect and this was the simplest thing I came up with that hasn't been used on official cards.

Quote from: silverspawn
I think this demonstrates beyond a reasonable doubt that you're a much nicer person than I am.

Nah, it just reflects the different requirements of the different contests.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

For the next round, I assume it will be about Adventures. Since this is a quite complex expansion with a lot of different mechanics that are all interesting, what do you guys think about splitting it into two contest rounds?

« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 08:30:16 am by gambit05 »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: November 23, 2020, 10:00:16 am »
+2

(I was mostly joking about that last part.) We've skipped Hinterlands, so that could also be the next one.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #234 on: November 23, 2020, 11:28:04 am »

(I was mostly joking about that last part.) We've skipped Hinterlands, so that could also be the next one.
and there's no rule saying we have to go in order. If I won, I'd have skipped to Nocturne (not bc it's my fav expansion, but because it's the one with the narrowest card pool imo, on account of shoehorning in a new phase/type and having to build the basis vector for that).
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 11:29:19 am by spineflu »

grep

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: November 23, 2020, 12:05:47 pm »
+3

Thanks silverspawn, that was totally unexpected for my quick hack.
Hinterlands is one of my favorite expansions, so let's do it.

Contest 9: Hinterlands

This is quite a big expansion introducing a new mechanic of "when you gain/when you buy" effects. It encourages bulkier decks with having quite a lot of sifters and not having fast trashers.

The themes of Hinterlands:
(as specified by Donald X in http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=1818.msg28889#msg28889)
9 effects when gained/bought: Noble Brigand, Nomad Camp, Cache, Embassy, Ill-Gotten Gains, Inn, Mandarin, Border Village, Farmland
4 other interaction with gain/buy: Duchess, Fool's Gold, Trader, Haggler
7 Victory/Treasure/Reaction: Fool's Gold, Tunnel, Silk Road, Trader, Cache, Ill-Gotten Gains, Farmland
4 interact with Victory cards: Crossroads, Duchess, Fool's Gold, Silk Road
8 card filtering: Oasis, Oracle, Jack of All Trades, Cartographer, Embassy, Inn, Margrave, Stables

I would also mention the theme of Silver/Gold gaining (Embassy, Noble Brigand, Fool's Gold, Trader, Jack of All Trades, Tunnel), and Horizontal Line (more than a half of Hinterlands cards have one)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 12:08:44 pm by grep »

LittleFish

• Tactician
  • Respect: +188
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: November 23, 2020, 12:16:06 pm »
+1

Magistrate
Action

You may reveal a victory card from your hand. If it costs or more, +. Otherwise, +
----
When you gain this, each other player reveals a Victory card from their hand and puts it onto their deck (or reveals a hand with no Victory cards).

I'm not sure if this is good enough. It may not work because it depends on having dead cards in hand. Maybe lowering the price, and upping the difference between rewards would be better. Any advice?

Magistrate
Action

You may reveal a victory card from your hand. If it costs or more, +. Otherwise, +
----
When you gain this, each other player reveals a Victory card from their hand and puts it onto their deck (or reveals a hand with no Victory cards).
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 04:10:31 pm by LittleFish »

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #237 on: November 23, 2020, 01:17:44 pm »
+4

An old idea I've shown to the Dominion Discord a couple of months ago. I think it fits within Hinterland's theme.
  • Mechanically, it has the dividing line, the Silver gaining and the "on-buy" (and "on-trash") effect.
  • Thematically, a Missionary is sent to far away lands to convert people to one's Religion, thus it fits within Hinterland's "oversea lands" theme. Missionary also has a link to faith, and so, like Chapel and Priest, it deals with trashing. It purifies your deck, all in all.
Bottom text

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: November 23, 2020, 03:17:14 pm »
+2

Vizier • $3 • Action - Attack
Gain a Silver. Each other player with 4 or more cards in hand reveals their hand and places the lowest cost (in coins) card on top of their deck.
-
When you gain this, do its attack.

Noble Bureaucrat? Uses the new Noble Brigand style wording.

edited for 4 or more cards
and because i missed probably the easiest thematic naming opportunity I've ever thought up
and because i realized there's a multi-card comparison problem when there's debt/potion costs, i added (in coins) from Forge.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 04:12:52 pm by spineflu »

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: November 23, 2020, 03:17:33 pm »
+2

Magistrate
Action

----

I'm not sure if this is good enough. It may not work because it depends on having dead cards in hand. Maybe lowering the price, and upping the difference between rewards would be better. Any advice?

This looks like a nice late game card when players have a substantial number of Victory cards in their deck. However, the best case scenario when you play it is +$3, which seems quite weak for a $5 cost card. I don't know whether it would be balanced at $4. If not, a little extra bonus (e.g. +1 Buy) may help. The on-gain effect looks like an "Attack", but if I am correct that this card is bought rather late in the game, it may actually help the opponents to line up their Magistrate with a Victory card. This could be cool, but not combined with a weak on-play effect.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: November 23, 2020, 03:18:42 pm »
+2

Magistrate
Action

----

This looks like a nice late game card when players have a substantial number of Victory cards in their deck. However, the best case scenario when you play it is +$3, which seems quite weak for a $5 cost card. I don't know whether it would be balanced at $4. If not, a little extra bonus (e.g. +1 Buy) may help. The on-gain effect looks like an "Attack", but if I am correct that this card is bought rather late in the game, it may actually help the opponents to line up their Magistrate with a Victory card. This could be cool, but not combined with a weak on-play effect.
Also thinking +1 Buy would help justify the $5 price tag, but also maybe up the hit/miss by a dollar (+$4 on collision, +$2 on miss).
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 03:28:34 pm by spineflu »

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: November 23, 2020, 03:33:04 pm »
+1

Vizier • $3 • Action - Attack
Gain a Silver. Each other player with 4 or more cards in hand reveals their hand and places the lowest cost card on top of their deck.
-
When you gain this, do its attack.

Noble Bureaucrat? Uses the new Noble Brigand style wording.

edited for 4 or more cards, and because i missed probably the easiest thematic naming opportunity I've ever thought up.

Nice novel attack for going for the lowest costs!

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: November 23, 2020, 03:36:34 pm »
+2

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: November 23, 2020, 03:37:49 pm »
+1

Magistrate
Action

----

Also thinking +1 Buy would help justify the $5 price tag, but also maybe up the hit/miss by a dollar (+$4 on collision, +$2 on miss).

Yes, I agree.

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: November 23, 2020, 03:49:06 pm »

This looks suspiciously similar to Nobles.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: November 23, 2020, 05:29:10 pm »
+1

Well, the wrong way to use Nobles is to play one Nobles for 2 Actions into another Nobles for 3 Cards and end up with +1 card on net. The wrong way to use Pyramid is to discard another Pyramid. If you do that, they're exactly the same.

The right way to use Nobles is as a smithy variant with village support and the +2 Actions only for unlucky draws. The right way to use Pyramid is to discard other Victory cards. I'm not sure how similar they are in that case.

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: November 24, 2020, 12:45:29 am »
+1

There is a slight but significant difference though: with Pyramid, you can discard a Pyramid and later draw into the very copy you discarded.

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: November 24, 2020, 09:30:48 am »
+2

The similarity with Nobles was my immediate impression and it still holds to some extent. However after some more thoughts about this, I think they are different in the way when they are strongest. Nobles is likely better mid-game with few Victory cards around* and needs a Village for its best performance, but it can be also played for drawing without any support. In contrast, Pyramid always needs another Victory card and is better than Nobles in the late game when the density of Victory cards increases.

*Edit: or Pyramid, if used in mid-game, requires a different approach, e.g. no Estates trashing. So yeah, another difference between the two cards.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 09:57:19 am by gambit05 »

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: November 24, 2020, 10:55:00 am »

Nobles is more flexible (always a Smithy or a Necro) whereas Pyramid has a better self synergy (a deck with lots of Pyramids is great as they are then often Labs). I guess it is also good in thin deck that greens early, e.g. Chapel, money, Pyramid.

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: November 24, 2020, 02:15:33 pm »
+3

My submission:

Pioneer
$4 – Action

Trash the top card of your deck.       
Gain a card onto your deck
costing up to $2 more than it.
-----------------------------
When you gain this, you may
put a non-Duration card you
have in play onto your deck.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 24  All

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 21 queries.