Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 24  All

Author Topic: Set Expansion Contest  (Read 79851 times)

grep

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +449
    • View Profile
Re: Set Expansion Contest
« Reply #200 on: November 12, 2020, 05:41:51 pm »
+1

Heavily modified Warlord Throne

Vulture
$4 - Action - Reaction - Looter
+$2
Gain a Ruins into your hand. Play it twice and then trash it.
-
When another player trashes a card, you may discard this to gain a Spoils into your hand.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2110
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: November 12, 2020, 11:48:49 pm »
+2

Vulture
+$2
-
When another player trashes a card, you may discard this to gain a Spoils into your hand.

Compare to Bard - way too strong

anordinaryman

• Duke
  • Respect: +502
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: November 13, 2020, 12:51:14 am »
+2

Dissect - Action - Looter - $4
Trash a card from your hand. Choose a different thing per $1 it costs: trash a card costing less than it from the Supply; trash a card from your hand; gain a Spoils; gain a Silver; play the top Ruins in the Supply twice leaving it there.

How about a Scrap for the Dark Ages? All of the 5 options for this are Dark Ages specific --trashing a card from the Supply or your hand is great when there are on-trash benefits; Spoils and Ruins are Dark Age exclusives, of course; then there's Silver gaining, of which is a minor theme of Dark ages (beggar, squire, feodum).

This is a pretty strong estate trasher - turn an estate into a Silver and a Spoils is awesome. Or Turning it into a Spoils and trashing another card from your hand is also good. The problem is that when you're playing Dark Ages, it means there's less of a chance of having estates. There's checks and Balances with this card.

Astute readers may realize that Ruins likely costs less than the card you trashed -- so you can Trash an estate to trash the top ruins in the hopes that the one below it is the Ruins you desperately want to Throne Room. The "trash from the Supply" is slightly hard to trigger than it seems. In order to trash a Fortress from the Supply (yay-- free fortress!) you'd have to trash a 5-cost card. And if you trash a 5-cost card, you have to pick all the options which means trashing another card in your hand as well. So there's some check and balances here, though they are subtle.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #203 on: November 13, 2020, 03:23:04 am »
+1

Vulture
+$2
-
is there a reason you gain the ruins to your hand? seems like an unnecessary step when things like innovation exist.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2020, 06:50:40 am by spineflu »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3190
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: November 13, 2020, 04:31:16 am »

I'd scrap the reaction from vulture

Holger

• Minion
  • Respect: +458
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: November 13, 2020, 05:32:37 am »

Hmm I like Restore even better with that wording, but think it should really cost $4. This is partly because of power level (it's weaker than Upgrade usually), but also because at $4 you can Restore a Restore into a $5 card, and can restore a Silver into a Restore.
i dont agree because its definitely stepping on vanilla remodel's toes for strictly better early game (copper->silver, etc) (likewise trading post or other silver-centric trashers).

Not really. IMO the preferred use of Remodel in the early game is usually trashing Estates, which Remodel can turn into $4 cards (including more Remodels) but Restore can only turn into $3 cards.
So Restore is worse at upgrading Estates (or even Shelters) than Remodel, but better at upgrading Coppers. It has the advantage of being nonterminal, but after the early game you usually don't want more Silvers, and Restore can't turn Golds into Provinces like Remodel can. Therefore I'd also try it at $4.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: November 13, 2020, 07:12:17 am »
+1

I think Restore would be terribly weak at 5$. It's 2$ worse than Mine on-play if used on Coppers, which is a big deal, and Mine is quite underwhelming for a 5$.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: November 13, 2020, 09:13:46 am »
+1

I think Restore would be terribly weak at 5$. It's 2$ worse than Mine on-play if used on Coppers, which is a big deal, and Mine is quite underwhelming for a 5$.
terminality matters here

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1424
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: November 15, 2020, 10:12:44 am »
+2

Results for the Dark Ages contest

Red Army by majiponi
Is this just Mountebank as Looter? No, Red Army, or any other Attack or Duration or what other more-than-one-type card in the Kingdom also become Moats.
This feels power-level-wise on the point, i.e. not as overpowered and centralizing as many other junkers.
RUNNER-UP

Shambles/Digsite by Aquila
This has several problems.
First, would you really buy a Ruins and exchange Shambles to get a reloadable Moat? Nah, that's not worth it.
Second, emulating the Ruins on the top is a cool idea. Not so cool if you don't really do what the Ruins says.
I totally understand why it is mechanically necessary to nerf Ruined Library and buff Survivors but it is just too messy.

Crusade by silverspawn
I love $5 Smithies+ that are conditionally non-terminal. I don't have much to say about it, this looks fine and balanced.
RUNNER-UP

Plague Doctor by pubby
It is obvious but it has to be said, this is crazy if there are Actions that cost more than $5.
Imagine being able to play Possession or Prince at T4!
Otherwise this looks pretty good.

Ragman by Xen3k
This is hard to judge without playtesting but my hunch is that this is bad if there are no $2 Actions.
Lab nets +1 Card, but Ragman is on-gain -2 Cards. Best case is that you hit both Ruins during the first two plays of Ragman.
Then, averaged over the gain and the two plays, Ragman was a Village plus the vanilla effect of the 2 Ruins. But the on-gain junking is worse than the extra draw later for cycling reasons.
And that's tge best case which ignored the matching risk.
So no, I don't think that this is any good. I like it more than Death Cart though.

Restore by spineflu
Lots of discussion about this one. I cannot fathom when I would ever pick this over any other $5 trasher and would go even further: it it costed $2, I can imagine situations in which I would prefer Raze over this.
Both Upgrade and Transmogrify draw (Transmogrify doesn't draw but gains to hand and thus pseudo-draws) whereas this only floods you with Silvers.
If you want Silver, the Trade family of cards/landmarks is better at that (either you get more Silvers or you get the Silver to hand).

Sacrifical Lamb by D782802859
Another Upgrade variant, substituting Upgrade's draw for 2 Coins and a nice reaction.
With its biblical theme, it doesn't have any Dark Ages vibes though.

Vulture by grep
I liked Warlord Throne, that was a cool TR variant. But on to the Vulture. There are 4 options:
+ - $5 power
+2 Cards + - $5 power
+2 Actions + - $4.5 power
+2 Buys + -  $3.5 power
+ with Survivors - $2 power

So at the first glance, it looks OKish. It's the Ironmonger story, a random effect which you have no control over should be stronger than a deterministic effect.
But the Ruins run out, you can only play Vulture 10 times in the game. I don't know whether the timer on the card is intentional. The Reaction seems to indicate an "out" in case the Action part of it becomes dead.
So to buff it the Ruins should be put on the bottom of the pile or discarded and if the Ruins pile is empty it is shuffled.

Dissect by anordinaryman
I cannot add anything to the analysis that anordinaryman already provided. This is a thinking man's card with lots of subtle stuff going on.
RUNNER-UP

RUNNER-UPS: Red Army by majiponi, Mountebank as Looter done right
Crusade by silverspawn, the Smithy with the self-looting DoubleLab option
Dissect by anordinaryman, the less vanilla-ish Scrap variant
WINNER: Crusade by silverspawn. Did I say that I love Smithies that can be non-terminal? I also love self-junking.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: November 15, 2020, 10:45:27 am »

Crusade is actually a variant of a card from my old expansion. It was "+2 Cards, reveal your hand, if at least half of it is copies of crusade and cards that cost 0$, +1 Action" for 4$. It got playtested and I thought it was alright, definitely didn't break the game, but I've never found a wording for counting cards that cost 0 and itself that didn't sound weird or ambiguous, so now I made a version that didn't didn't count itself.

Contest 8: Guilds

Guilds is easy: Coin tokens and overpay. All entries should do one or the other or both. I personally think there's a ton of design space left to explore with overpay in particular.

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Doom_Shark
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: November 15, 2020, 12:51:36 pm »

I personally was always surprised that there wasn't an overpay that converted coins to coffers.

"I swear to drunk I'm not officer, God."
Generation 33 The first time you see this, copy it, add 1 to the generation number, and add it to your signature. (On any forum) Social experiment.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: November 15, 2020, 01:17:05 pm »
+2

Principality• $5+ • Victory
2%
-
When you buy this, you may overpay for it; for each $2 you overpay (round down), gain a Duchy.

If you don't overpay, +1 Coffers.

rationale: Guilds lacks a fancy victory card. I wanted to do something where overpay works a little differently - not too out there/crazy, but different enough from existing cards, on the level of how stonemason cares about potion overpay but herald doesn't. I also thought it'd be interesting to give a small rebate for not overpaying - after all, $5 for a flat 2vp isnt a great price when duchy exists.

thematically, it ties "prosperity" to "guilds" by giving a use to the $7 turn - something that, at the time, only expand/forge/bank used. Might also be interesting as a Dominate style megaturn finisher, if your deck can handle that much green.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 03:25:18 am by spineflu »

LittleFish

• Tactician
  • Respect: +188
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: November 15, 2020, 01:42:41 pm »

2%
-
When you buy this, you may overpay for it; for each $2 you spend (round down), gain a Duchy.

Wouldn't it be "for every overpaid..."

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: November 15, 2020, 01:52:38 pm »

2%
-
When you buy this, you may overpay for it; for each $2 you spend (round down), gain a Duchy.

Wouldn't it be "for every overpaid..."
sure

gambit05

• Minion
  • Respect: +495
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: November 15, 2020, 03:53:19 pm »
+1

My Submission:

Grand Lodge
$2+ – Action
Discard any number of
cards for +$1 each.
----------------------------
When you buy this, you may
overpay for it. For each $1
you overpaid, +1 Card at
the end of this turn.

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: November 18, 2020, 02:16:38 am »

I personally was always surprised that there wasn't an overpay that converted coins to coffers.

For me it looks like the on-buy effect of converting $1 to Coffers is quite strong. This may be okay when the normal ability is a bit weaker. In addition, also giving Coffers here seems like this card can produce a flood of Coffers which can be unfunny.

2%
-
When you buy this, you may overpay for it; for each $2 you overpay (round down), gain a Duchy.

Is "round down" intended? Wouldn't this mean overpaying $5 gives 3 Duchies? Could be okay, just asking.

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: November 18, 2020, 02:25:29 am »
+2

Is "round down" intended? Wouldn't this mean overpaying $5 gives 3 Duchies? Could be okay, just asking.

/ rounds down to 2 Duchies...
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: November 18, 2020, 02:31:39 am »

/ rounds down to 2 Duchies...

You are right! I don't know what I was thinking...

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: November 18, 2020, 03:19:37 am »
+1

Royal Appointment - Victory, $3+ cost.
2VP
-
When you first buy Royal Appointment on each of your turns, if the previous turn wasn't yours: you may overpay for it. Take another turn after this one drawing 1 card per $1 overpaid for your hand (instead of 5).
It will be tiny text, but I can't think of anything better to attach the overpay bit on to. If you're sacrificing $ for extra turns, then your deck is already good.
You buy your first one in the turn for $3, and you get an extra turn with 0 cards in hand; is that an issue?

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: November 18, 2020, 04:02:37 am »

Royal Appointment - Victory, $3+ cost.
2VP
-
When you first buy Royal Appointment on each of your turns, if the previous turn wasn't yours: you may overpay for it. Take another turn after this one drawing 1 card per $1 overpaid for your hand (instead of 5).
It will be tiny text, but I can't think of anything better to attach the overpay bit on to. If you're sacrificing $ for extra turns, then your deck is already good.
You buy your first one in the turn for $3, and you get an extra turn with 0 cards in hand; is that an issue?

Maybe something like this:
When you buy this, you may overpay for it.
If the previous turn wasn’t yours, take another
turn after this with +1 Card per $1 overpaid.

I don't know whether it is better to leave the "(instead of 5)"; or perhaps (last line) "...after this, starting with +1 Card..." may do it.

Edit: I just saw this question:

Quote from: Aquila

Shouldn't be a problem as you cannot overpay by $0:

Players may choose not to overpay, even if they have extra coins, but cannot choose to overpay by $0; to overpay, a player has to actually pay more than the cost.
http://wiki.dominionstrategy.com/index.php/Overpay

« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 04:23:13 am by gambit05 »

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: November 18, 2020, 07:44:06 am »

(I hope the judges don't mind that I made a card that I can enter in both contests for this week)

[EDITed]
Gangster
$5 - Action - Attack
+2 Cards.
The player to your left reveals the top card of their deck. You may reveal a copy of the revealed card for +1 Coffers.
Each other player with at least 5 cards in hand discards a copy of the revealed card (or reveals they can't). If they discarded an Action or Treasure costing at least $5, they get +1 Coffers.

I think I'll snip a bit and switch back to a +3 Card version:
Gangster
$5 - Action - Attack
+3 Cards.
The player to your left reveals the top card of their deck. Each other player with at least 5 cards in hand discards a copy of the revealed card (or reveals they can't). If they discarded an Action or Treasure costing at least $3, they get +1 Coffers.

I made it more likely to give out Coffers to keep it from being too strong with +3 Cards.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 08:33:31 am by LibraryAdventurer »

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: November 18, 2020, 08:08:20 am »

(I hope the judges don't mind that I made a card that I can enter in both contests for this week)

[EDITed]
Gangster
$5 - Action - Attack
+2 Cards.
The player to your left reveals1 the top card of their deck. You may reveal a copy of the revealed card2 for +1 Coffers.
Each other player with at least 5 cards in hand discards a copy of the revealed card3. If they discarded an Action or Treasure4 costing at least $5, they get +1 Coffers.

1 Maybe, discards is better?
2 I think this needs "from your hand"
3 ...and this needs: "(or reveals they can't)".
4 How about: If it's an Action or Treasure...

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: November 18, 2020, 08:17:36 am »

[EDITed]
Gangster
$5 - Action - Attack
+2 Cards.
The player to your left reveals1 the top card of their deck. You may reveal a copy of the revealed card2 for +1 Coffers.
Each other player with at least 5 cards in hand discards a copy of the revealed card3. If they discarded an Action or Treasure4 costing at least $5, they get +1 Coffers.

Why?
You're right. And the card was wordy as it was, and this is going to make it too wordy. I need to decide which part to cut...
Then it would look like it refers to the revealed card whether they discarded a copy or not.

(EDITed my entry)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 08:24:45 am by LibraryAdventurer »

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: November 18, 2020, 08:55:14 am »

[EDITed]
Gangster
$5 - Action - Attack
+2 Cards.

Why?
You're right. And the card was wordy as it was, and this is going to make it too wordy. I need to decide which part to cut...
Then it would look like it refers to the revealed card whether they discarded a copy or not.

(EDITed my entry)

1 It was just a suggestion. It depends on what you intend to occur when multiple Gangsters are played.
4 "...discards a copy of the revealed card (or...). If it's..." For me it looks like it refers to "discards". Anyway, your wording is probably less ambiguous.

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +581
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: November 19, 2020, 07:32:58 pm »
+1

Gong Farmer - $2+
Action
+2 Cards
+1 Action
Discard 2 cards.
-
When you buy this, you may overpay for it. For each $1 you overpaid, you may trash a non-Victory card from your hand.

Similar to Doctor in that it trashes when you buy it, but it is different in that it does not continue to trash cards. Works better (on buy) mid game when you have enough money to overpay and still keep copper in hand to trash. Honestly, I was having some trouble coming up with a card design but stumbled upon the term "Gong Farmer" and had to use it. Not sure about power level. Feedback is welcome.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 10:30:18 am by Xen3k »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 24  All

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 21 queries.