Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 24  All

Author Topic: Set Expansion Contest  (Read 79784 times)

gambit05

• Minion
  • Respect: +495
    • View Profile
Re: Set Expansion Contest
« Reply #175 on: November 06, 2020, 04:24:07 pm »
+1

Congratulations to segura! Many thanks to silverspawn for the extensive evaluation, and especially of the card I have submitted. Looks like you have put a tremendous amount of effort into judging all the cards. If you want we can discuss my card in a separate thread, as I don't want to dilute this thread with any side discussions. Not today, as I feel quite tired; it seems like this day lasted for 80 hours or so. But I am quite happy with the outcome of the contest.

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: November 07, 2020, 02:08:43 am »
+1

Here's the winner of the 18th WDC:

I guess it shows the premise works/looks convincing.

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: November 07, 2020, 03:04:44 am »
+2

Thanks silverspawn!

What do you guys think, should we run a Hinterlands contest?
It is one of the mechanically most thin expansions, only the gain and Buy triggers are new.

D782802859

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +381
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: November 07, 2020, 04:07:53 pm »
+1

Cards that discard your own cards and Victory interactions are also themes.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #179 on: November 07, 2020, 05:22:03 pm »
+1

i mean, nothing but convention says we gotta do 'em in order also - pick an expansion, any expansion

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #180 on: November 07, 2020, 05:44:22 pm »
+1

Thematically it can also be fun to do stuff that falls into the "oversea" category. It's fun to be exotic. :)
Bottom text

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: November 08, 2020, 03:41:43 am »
+2

Contest 7: Dark Ages

Lots of stuff to do here: Ruins, Shelters, Spoils and trashing over trashing.

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: November 09, 2020, 03:12:40 am »
+2

Contest 7: Dark Ages

Lots of stuff to do here: Ruins, Shelters, Spoils and trashing over trashing.

Red Army
cost $5 - Action - Attack - Looter
+$3
Each other player may discard a card with multiple types from their hand. Otherwise, they gain a Ruins.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 09:07:17 am by majiponi »

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: November 10, 2020, 09:20:56 am »
+2

Shambles - Action Looter, $4 cost.
+2 Actions
Either play a Ruins from your hand twice, or one in the Supply twice leaving it there. If you played a Ruined Library, discard a card. If a Survivors, +1 Card.
At Clean-up, you may discard a Ruins to exchange this for a Digsite.

Digsite - Action, $0* cost.
+2 Cards
You may play a Ruins from your hand.
Return this to your hand.
(This is not in the Supply.)
It's a Village with a random effect, maybe that's a bit of fun in itself. It can also upgrade into a draw that returns to hand. Like Asper's Town/Road but more complex; it used to give Spoils as well since you don't need to track repeated gains of them, but do I want to make it even crazier with Champion?

Also added optional play Ruins from hand to Shambles, for when Cultist empties them out.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 12:06:45 pm by Aquila »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: November 10, 2020, 10:09:02 am »
+3

grep

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +449
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: November 10, 2020, 12:11:24 pm »
+1

Discarded. See my new submission below

Warlord Throne
$5 - Action - Looter
You may play an Action card from your hand or from top of the Ruins pile twice. If you did, you may trash it to gain a Spoils.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 05:37:53 pm by grep »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: November 10, 2020, 02:34:46 pm »

Warlord Throne
$5 - Action - Looter
You may play an Action card from your hand or from top of the Ruins pile twice. If you did, you may trash it to gain a Spoils.

Playing a card from the supply without "leaving it there" is weird. I would guess that makes the card become yours, but there's not really a precedence for that.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

grep

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +449
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: November 10, 2020, 02:58:06 pm »

Warlord Throne
$5 - Action - Looter

Playing a card from the supply without "leaving it there" is weird. I would guess that makes the card become yours, but there's not really a precedence for that.
I was considering this variant: "You may gain a Ruins into the hand. You may play an Action card from your hand twice. You may trash that card to gain a Spoils", but too many "you may" makes it ugly.
What about this: "Gain a Ruins into your hand. You may play an Action card from your hand twice and then trash it. If you did, gain a Spoils."

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: November 10, 2020, 03:18:16 pm »
+1

Warlord Throne
$5 - Action - Looter

I was considering this variant: "You may gain a Ruins into the hand. You may play an Action card from your hand twice. You may trash that card to gain a Spoils", but too many "you may" makes it ugly.
What about this: "Gain a Ruins into your hand. You may play an Action card from your hand twice and then trash it. If you did, gain a Spoils."

That last version seems a lot weaker than the original; it can't be used as a normal Throne Room.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

LittleFish

• Tactician
  • Respect: +188
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: November 10, 2020, 03:43:07 pm »

Warlord Throne
$5 - Action - Looter

That last version seems a lot weaker than the original; it can't be used as a normal Throne Room.
I think the most recent version should be compared to Procession.

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: November 10, 2020, 05:06:38 pm »
+2

« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 07:50:07 pm by pubby »

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +581
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: November 10, 2020, 05:48:41 pm »
+2

Ragman - $3
Action - Looter
+2 Cards
You may play an Action card costing less than this from your hand. If it is a Ruins, trash it for +1 Action.
-
When you gain this, gain 2 Ruins.

An Imp crossed with a Death Cart. Plays similar to Lackeys with the limited number of Ruins it adds to your deck, but can be supported with the starting Necropolis and/or cheap cantrips. Can cause issues if you load up on too many of them as you cannot play the more appealing expensive cards or other Ragman with it. I could always bump up the cost to $4 and specify it can only play cards costing less than $3, but didn't really want to deal with Bridge shenanigans. More than welcome to criticism and feedback.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 07:21:25 pm by Xen3k »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: November 10, 2020, 06:18:05 pm »

Both go on top of deck.

Needs Looter type. And I believe by the rules, Ruins goes on top of your deck first and then the other action card on top of that, but people won’t know that immediately, so needs clarification.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: November 10, 2020, 06:29:02 pm »
+3

Restore • $5 • Action - Looter
+1 Action
Trash a card from your hand.
Choose one: Gain a Silver; or gain a card costing up to $1 more than the trashed card.
-
When this is trashed, each player (including you) gains a Ruins to their hand.

For all its focus on the trash, Dark Ages doesn't have a straightforward flexible remodeler for the card you gain - sure, it's got Altar, where you turn ∀ into a $5; it's got Procession, but that's a fixed +$1 remodeler; it's got Rats, where you turn ∀ into Rats*; and it's got Gravedigger, where you expand Actions only; and it's got Rebuild, which turns games into boring - but nothing that turns ∀ into ∀+$1 (or less! you decide! run down piles!).

I considered having it gain a Spoils instead of Silver, but i think Silver will be better what with Feodum in the same set (plus, it makes it so you still have to deal with junk when Silver engine-detrimental). It's on-trash effect is designed for interaction with Knights, or self-interaction as a sort of Messenger-style nonattack attack. It's nonterminal, in the vein of Rebuild. And it gets you out of the $1 hole that Remake/Upgrade/other +$1 remodelers put you in, which could be problematic in Poor House games.

Update: made changes that anordinaryman suggested.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 11:44:13 am by spineflu »

anordinaryman

• Duke
  • Respect: +502
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: November 12, 2020, 01:51:13 am »
+1

+1 Action
Trash a card from your hand. If it cost $0, gain a Silver; Otherwise, gain a card costing up to $1 more than the trashed card.
-

For all its focus on the trash, Dark Ages doesn't have a straightforward flexible remodeler for the card you gain - sure, it's got Altar, where you turn ∀ into a $5; it's got Procession, but that's a fixed +$1 remodeler; it's got Rats, where you turn ∀ into Rats*; and it's got Gravedigger, where you expand Actions only; and it's got Rebuild, which turns games into boring - but nothing that turns ∀ into ∀+$1 (or less! you decide! run down piles!).

I considered having it gain a Spoils instead of Silver, but i think Silver will be better what with Feodum in the same set (plus, it makes it so you still have to deal with junk when Silver is a stop card). It's on-trash effect is designed for interaction with Knights, or self-interaction as a sort of Messenger-style nonattack attack. It's nonterminal, in the vein of Rebuild. And it gets you out of the $1 hole that Remake/Upgrade/other +$1 remodelers put you in, which could be problematic in Poor House games.

Love this design. For simplicity, consider "Trash a card from your hand. Choose one: gain a Silver; or gain a card costing up to $1 more than the trashed card." This change does not impact the power level that much (the only difference is now you can turn shelters/poor house into silvers) and I think the simplicity is worth it.

The on-trash mechanic is very interesting cool direction.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: November 12, 2020, 11:42:57 am »

+1 Action
Trash a card from your hand. If it cost $0, gain a Silver; Otherwise, gain a card costing up to $1 more than the trashed card.
-

I considered having it gain a Spoils instead of Silver, but i think Silver will be better what with Feodum in the same set (plus, it makes it so you still have to deal with junk when Silver is a stop card). It's on-trash effect is designed for interaction with Knights, or self-interaction as a sort of Messenger-style nonattack attack. It's nonterminal, in the vein of Rebuild. And it gets you out of the $1 hole that Remake/Upgrade/other +$1 remodelers put you in, which could be problematic in Poor House games.

Love this design. For simplicity, consider "Trash a card from your hand. Choose one: gain a Silver; or gain a card costing up to $1 more than the trashed card." This change does not impact the power level that much (the only difference is now you can turn shelters/poor house into silvers) and I think the simplicity is worth it.

The on-trash mechanic is very interesting cool direction.
that's a good simplification and doesn't change the card too drastically. I made those changes.

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: November 12, 2020, 03:45:47 pm »
+1

Hmm I like Restore even better with that wording, but think it should really cost $4. This is partly because of power level (it's weaker than Upgrade usually), but also because at $4 you can Restore a Restore into a $5 card, and can restore a Silver into a Restore.

anordinaryman

• Duke
  • Respect: +502
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: November 12, 2020, 03:57:50 pm »
+1

Hmm I like Restore even better with that wording, but think it should really cost $4. This is partly because of power level (it's weaker than Upgrade usually), but also because at $4 you can Restore a Restore into a $5 card, and can restore a Silver into a Restore.

I disagree that it is weaker than upgrade usually. Often turning a copper into a silver non-terminally is better than just trashing a copper, especially when you have something to do with those silvers (restore them into <4 cards!) Also, in the end of the game, it can turn 5-costs into duchies, which Upgrade cannot.  Upgrade struggles on trashing ruins when there's no 2-cost cards. Restore can handle them. The flexibility alone makes it on-par with upgrade, even without the +1 card. Restore might be a weaker 5, but I think it'd be imbalanced at 4. It can non-terminally turn coppers into silvers, (and do a lot more) making it a lot stronger than Mine. I know Mine is a weak 5, but it still shows that the right cost for this is 5.

If spineflu wanted it to cost 4, I think they would have to get rid of the silver choice and just make it "gain a card costing up to $1 more than the trashed card." But I think it's better as 5. And as it stands right now, you can still trash a Restore into a $5 card.

D782802859

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +381
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: November 12, 2020, 04:37:08 pm »
+2

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: November 12, 2020, 05:29:23 pm »

i dont agree because its definitely stepping on vanilla remodel's toes for strictly better early game (copper->silver, etc) (likewise trading post or other silver-centric trashers). i see where you're coming from but it would be too good at $4.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 24  All

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 21 queries.