Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 24  All

Author Topic: Set Expansion Contest  (Read 79798 times)

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +581
    • View Profile
Re: Set Expansion Contest
« Reply #125 on: October 17, 2020, 12:52:59 pm »
+2

School Courier - $5
Action
+1 Action
Trash a card from your hand. Choose one: gain a Card costing up to $2 more; or gain a card costing up to (P) more; or gain to your hand a Potion and a Copper.

My group does not play with Alchemy or any custom Potion cards, so this is gonna be difficult for me. Decided to go with something like Apprentice where it does not cost Potion, but does interact with the mechanic. It gives an alternate way to obtain Potion cards, but does not make it easy. Notably, I did not want it to be able to get rid of starting Copper, so it is weaker then most every other remodeler. Not sure if this is completely balanced, or something people who use Alchemy would want in the set, but I enjoyed working on it.

Edit: Changing it so that you can trash Copper. Not sure if that would make it too good.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2020, 11:18:36 pm by Xen3k »

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 17, 2020, 01:32:19 pm »
+2

School Courier - $5
Action
+1 Action
Trash a card from your hand costing more than $0. Choose one: gain a Card costing up to $2 more; or gain a card costing up to ^ more; or gain to your hand a Potion and a Copper.
Works nicely with Apothecary, because you can turn your opening Estates into Apothecaries, and you're less worried than normal about having lots of Coppers. Its other good within-Alchemy Estate-targets are Scrying Pool and University.

Aside from that, probably a little weak - you've only got three targets in your starting deck, and trashing a good card from hand to get a better one in your discard pile has to be thought about carefully.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Xen3k

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 17, 2020, 02:48:44 pm »

School Courier - $5
Action
+1 Action
Trash a card from your hand costing more than $0. Choose one: gain a Card costing up to $2 more; or gain a card costing up to ^ more; or gain to your hand a Potion and a Copper.
Works nicely with Apothecary, because you can turn your opening Estates into Apothecaries, and you're less worried than normal about having lots of Coppers. Its other good within-Alchemy Estate-targets are Scrying Pool and University.

Aside from that, probably a little weak - you've only got three targets in your starting deck, and trashing a good card from hand to get a better one in your discard pile has to be thought about carefully.

Do you think removing the restriction requiring you trash a card costing more than $0 is warranted? I am mainly concerned of the potential to change Coppers into Vineyards or something. Not sure if that is something people would want to do, but still.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #128 on: October 17, 2020, 07:31:43 pm »
+2

School Courier - $5
Action
+1 Action
Trash a card from your hand. Choose one: gain a Card costing up to $2 more; or gain a card costing up to (P) more; or gain to your hand a Potion and a Copper.

My group does not play with Alchemy or any custom Potion cards, so this is gonna be difficult for me. Decided to go with something like Apprentice where it does not cost Potion, but does interact with the mechanic. It gives an alternate way to obtain Potion cards, but does not make it easy. Notably, I did not want it to be able to get rid of starting Copper, so it is weaker then most every other remodeler. Not sure if this is completely balanced, or something people who use Alchemy would want in the set, but I enjoyed working on it.

Edit: Changing it so that you can trash Copper. Not sure if that would make it too good.

This does have an issue where having just this card in an otherwise no-alchemy game makes two of its options impossible to complete - no potion-cost cards makes for no potions in the supply. Otherwise, I'd say it's a little worse than most TfB cards, which isn't really the kind of thing you'd want in alchemy.

Lemme know if you wanna play a game or two on dominion.games with alchemy cards, get a little more used to them, I've got a subscription, just drop a dm.

grep

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +449
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 18, 2020, 12:09:36 pm »
+1

Distillery
P - Action
+1 Buy
Trash a card from hand. Gain a Potion or a card costing up to $2 more than the trashed card.

Alchemy's missing Remodel, with a possibility to jump from Copper to $5-6 in two steps. +Buy shines when there are other Potion-cost cards in the kingdom.

aladdinstardust

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 18, 2020, 08:12:06 pm »
+1

24 Hour Notice!

D782802859

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +381
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 18, 2020, 08:33:35 pm »
+3

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 18, 2020, 11:04:40 pm »
+2

Humanoid
cost $6P - Action - Duration
Set aside a non-Duration, non-Command Action card from the Supply costing up to $4. At the start of each of your turns, play that Action, leaving there.

A Prince variant that always works. You don't have to worry a hand with no other Action. King's Courting is not so good ; you can never use King's Court for an expensive Action.

herw

• Golem
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 19, 2020, 01:05:23 am »

Alchemist's Laboratory

Alchemist's Laboratory $1P Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
+1 Buy

You may play a Potion or a Silver for +1 Card.

I think it shouldn't be only a cantrip without potion or silver in hand. So you get always +1 Buy. Costs are now $1P.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 03:24:12 pm by herw »

aladdinstardust

• Chancellor
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 19, 2020, 08:40:17 pm »

That's time in the round!

I will get to judging shortly!

aladdinstardust

• Chancellor
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: October 19, 2020, 10:23:22 pm »
+3

Jonatan Djurachkovitch
Homunculus
$3P - Action
+1 Action
+3 Cards
+1 Buy
Choose one: Trash a Treasure card from your hand, or trash this.

Three cards and an action is a very powerful ability, and +Buy is also super useful on an engine piece. It even trashes Coppers and eventually your Potion!
I imagine that in practice, this is a bit overpowered. I don't think you could ever really skip this on a board - it feels like Sauna/Avanto as a single card with +Buy.
Perhaps it could trash itself or a Potion instead of any treasure. I think that would make for some very interesting decision-making.

gambit05
Astrologer
$3P – Action
+1 Action
Choose one: Return a Potion from your hand to the Supply, for +3 Cards; or +1 Buy and gain a Potion to your hand.

Here is another $3P for three cards and an action, but with the Potion "trashing." Also has the option of +Buy, but at the cost of possibly junking yourself - though maybe it wins you the Vineyard split. I really like this, and would definitely like to playtest it. Seems both balanced and fun.

spineflu
Aonbarr • $4P • Action
+4 Cards
You may trash a card from your hand.
You may return this to its pile for +2 Actions.
-
Instead of paying this card's cost, you may pay PP; if you do, +1 Buy and +$2

The top part of this card seems certainly overpowered. I love the idea of returning a drawer for +Action, but even without that, +4 Cards and trashing is super strong. I think you'd probably need to bring that down to +2 Cards or up the cost by at least P.
The bottom part of this card is absolutely wild. And I love it. Gaining a card for two potions and then getting another buy and money is fantastic. Makes those double Potion hands something to actually shoot for. I really enjoy the creativity here.

Aquila
Catalyst - Action, PP cost.
+1 Action
+1 Buy

Play any number of Treasures from your hand. + $1 per Potion you played.
Draw until you have 6 cards in hand.

This is a very interesting. Double Potion cost is super tricky to pull off, but that is a very powerful ability, and it rewards you for having those extra Potions in your deck. I feel like you want multiple of these for sure, but you also want lots of Treasures. And, of course, it plays Treasures during your action phase, so shenanigans will occur from time to time (Capitalism loves this!) You could actually forgo the Treasures and just use this as a Lab, which gives the card versatility.
The only thing I might change is to remove the +Buy. A Lab with upside already seems powerful enough, though never having played a card costing PP, that +Buy might be fully warranted.

Xen3k
School Courier - $5
Action
+1 Action

For someone who doesn't play with Alchemy, you've made a very fine card! It is a little clunky that it gains Potion - maybe change that bit to "Treasure costing $4 or less?" Allows it to grab potions, but also Silver, Talisman, Quarry, etc. Makes it into a slightly different Mine effect if you trash Copper, but I think that's fine for a 5-cost.
The gaining of a Potion card is fantastic. I can already feel the excitement I would have when this and a Potion-cost card showed up together.

grep
Distillery
P - Action
+1 Buy
Trash a card from hand. Gain a Potion or a card costing up to $2 more than the trashed card.

Another interesting card, which also remodels. I like that it gets you to Province from Copper faster than a traditional Remodel. However, it isn't as good at trashing copies of itself, so there's balance there. The +Buy could be deceptively useful if you have enough other things going on.

D782802859
Alkahest - Action - $5
+3 Cards
The first time you play a Treasure costing $4 or more this turn, +$2.

A very interesting spin on making Potions worth $. The only downside is that you don't really want a lot of these, and it doesn't specifically tie into potions. It doesn't really fit into Alchemy in general, although I would love for this to be a real card. It makes a lot of expensive Treasures better, which I really like.

majiponi
Humanoid
cost $6P - Action - Duration
Set aside a non-Duration, non-Command Action card from the Supply costing up to $4. At the start of each of your turns, play that Action, leaving there.

This is very cool, and certainly worth the 6P. I've always had a soft spot for Prince, so this is just the sort of card I'd love to have in a set. It's also a slightly better Captain, but it cost P more, so it should be. A simple and useful design. Nice!

herw
Alchemist's Laboratory $1P Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
+1 Buy

You may play a Potion or a Silver for +1 Card.

I appreciate all the work and thought you've put into this! However, I think your earlier version might have been more balanced. I am comparing this to Alchemist, which is a Lab with upside if you have a Potion. This is Lab with upside if you have a Potion or a Silver, and it costs $2 less. I understand what you mean about not wanting it to be a fairly useless card without a specific Treasure in hand, but I think the upside is certainly worth the gamble.

Alchemist's Laboratory $2P Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
You may play a Potion or a Silver for +1 Card and +1 Buy.

This is the version I most prefer, and I think it would be a very fun card to play.

I am so glad that I can say with absolutely sincerity that you guys made some amazing cards here, and I am finding it difficult to choose a winner.
However, a decision must be made, so I'm going with:

Astrologer
by
gambit05

Runners-up:
I could probably just put "everyone" here, and it would be accurate.
But, concessions must be made for contests, so I will name the following:
Catalyst, Aqulia (I very much want to play this card.)
School Courier, Xen3k (Turning non-Potion cards into Potion cards is absolutely something I want to do now.)
Alchemist's Laboratory (version 2), herw (Not your official entry, but you posted it, and I really liked it.)

Thank you to everyone for submitting!!!!!

gambit05

• Minion
  • Respect: +495
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 20, 2020, 04:45:15 am »

Thank you very much aladdinstardust for your efforts in judging a bunch of really nice Alchemy-based Fan cards. I had the feeling that many of them are worth being the contest winner and certainly interesting and fun enough to further work on them and play with them.  Congratulations to the runner ups as well!

I suggest we revisit Alchemy in this contest series, maybe after Dark Ages or Guilds, as the official Alchemy expansion was originally thought to be released much later than it actually was. Especially cards that don’t have a Potion cost themselves, but interact with such cards and/or with Potions look very interesting and in my opinion, a couple of them would be “required” for a fictive large Alchemy expansion.

gambit05

• Minion
  • Respect: +495
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 20, 2020, 04:57:46 am »
+2

Contest Round 5 – Prosperity

The Prosperity expansion has the following themes/mechanics: Treasure cards, cards that interact with Treasures, expensive cards, cards that give Victory point (VP) tokens. http://wiki.dominionstrategy.com/index.php/Prosperity
There are a few more, i.e. “unusual” costs and non-attacking cards with player interactions. Feel free to incorporate any of those mechanics into your Fan card. Please avoid any mechanics introduced in official expansions released after Prosperity. Furthermore, a card giving choices a la Intrigue cards is totally fine (though not as the sole mechanic), a Duration would be out of place.

Criteria for judging:
1. Acts like a typical Prosperity card
2. Innovative concept
3. Fun to play with
4. Balanced

If you are not sure whether a certain idea or a detail of a card fits or not, don’t hesitate to ask when posting or before.

Deadline for submission will be some time on 27. Oct. 2020 with a 24 hours reminder before.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 04:58:54 am by gambit05 »

majiponi

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 20, 2020, 10:38:38 am »
+1

Minister
cost $5 - Treasure
+$2
+2 Buys
You may put your deck into your discard pile.
---
When you buy this, play it.

Mint has an on-buy effect. An expensive Travelling Fair which you can expand. Let's start with Minister-Goons!

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #139 on: October 20, 2020, 12:46:05 pm »
+2

gonna bust out my fav underutilized component in prosperity, the trade route mat, for a bridge variant, because what's more on-theme for prosperity than making money go further?

Shipping Lane • $3 • Action
+1 Buy
You may gain a Copper to your hand. If you do, cards cost $1 less per Coin token on the Trade Route mat.
-
Setup: Add a Coin token to each Victory Supply pile; move that token to the Trade Route mat when a card is gained from the pile.

setup instructions are the same as trade route; given that i can't change the wording on Trade Route for this, when both are in the supply, you only do one coin token per victory pile.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 02:57:11 pm by spineflu »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 20, 2020, 02:06:42 pm »
+8

Prosperity has big rebuilding, big throning,  various flavors of big money, but no big draw. Alas,

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 20, 2020, 02:10:17 pm »
+1

Prosperity has big rebuilding, big throning,  various flavors of big money, but no big draw. Alas,

Gives a needed new use for tokens (3 cards isn't enough for a new mechanic). And gives extra incentives to buy Provinces even though the game is more likely to be a Colony game. I like.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

majiponi

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 20, 2020, 05:57:40 pm »
+4

Gives a needed new use for tokens (3 cards isn't enough for a new mechanic). And gives extra incentives to buy Provinces even though the game is more likely to be a Colony game. I like.

It needs to give incentives to end game.  KC-KC-RE-RE (+12vp) will be the optimal strategy too often.  Goons piles out piles.  Bishop needs fuel.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 20, 2020, 07:07:38 pm »
+1

Quicksilver
Treasure - $6
Worth $1
At the start of clean up, exchange a treasure you would discard from play for a treasure costing up to $6 more than it.

I think Mine would work better in Prosperity given the better treasures on offer in the set. So here's a super-Mine that can turn Copper into Gold or any of the other special treasures on offer, and Silver (and up) into Platinum. Yes this is very similar to "Ore" which I submitted for the "Fix Mine" competition.

Xen3k

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 20, 2020, 11:00:49 pm »

Royal Foundries - $7
Action
+1 Action
Discard a card. Gain a card to your hand costing less than it. If you would gain a card costing more than this, instead trash this to gain that card to your hand.

A non-terminal gainer, especially one that can trash itself for a Province or Platinum, seems like a card worth $7. I am not sure if this is too strong or not. It can certainly snow-ball your late game. I had a terminal version that gave an Extra VP token if you gain a VP card off it. Could change this out for that if this version is deemed too good. Feedback is welcome.

Edit: Adjusted the wording so in order to gain a card costing more than Royal Foundries you must trash Royal Foundries. My understanding is that if you fail to trash it due to any kind of tracking shenanigans you will fail to gain a card. Let me know if that fixes the issues presented below.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2020, 11:20:53 pm by Xen3k »

majiponi

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 20, 2020, 11:13:14 pm »
+1

Royal Foundries - $7
Action
+1 Action
Discard a card. Gain a card to your hand costing less than it. If you gained a card costing more than this, trash this or the gained card.

A non-terminal gainer, especially one that can trash itself for a Province or Platinum, seems like a card worth $7. I am not sure if this is too strong or not. It can certainly snow-ball your late game. I had a terminal version that gave an Extra VP token if you gain a VP card off it. Could change this out for that if this version is deemed too good. Feedback is welcome.

Discard Colony for Platinum, revealing Watchtower to topdeck, trying to trash that Platinum, and fail. Is it broken?

Xen3k

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 20, 2020, 11:15:45 pm »

Royal Foundries - $7
Action
+1 Action
Discard a card. Gain a card to your hand costing less than it. If you gained a card costing more than this, trash this or the gained card.

Discard Colony for Platinum, revealing Watchtower to topdeck, trying to trash that Platinum, and fail. Is it broken?

Would you not have to trash the Royal Foundries at that point? The wording on the "if you gain a card costing more than this" caveat is important, and if there are ways around it the card is pretty much a failure.

Edit: I would have the player just straight up trash the Royal Foundries, but I do not want to run into the same sort of issue on losing track of it.

Edit#2: Changed the wording in the original post. Hopefully this corrects the issues.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 06:14:28 pm by Xen3k »

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 21, 2020, 04:53:09 am »

Racecourse - Action, $6 cost.
+3 Cards
You may trash a card from your hand. If you do, remove the token from its pile (if it's there) for +1VP per $1 the trashed card costs.
-
Setup: put a coin token on each supply pile.
This sets up a race to be the first to trash a card from each pile. It has to use tokens because of Lurker and Treasurer, and I figure it will be self-intuitive that this and trade route hold one coin token each on the Victory piles (the wording implies that to me, but I may be wrong).

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 21, 2020, 05:40:42 am »
+1

It needs to give incentives to end game.  KC-KC-RE-RE (+12vp) will be the optimal strategy too often.  Goons piles out piles.  Bishop needs fuel.

I'm not sure about this, but I don't expect that will commonly happen.

KC-RE is a 2-card combo, so it will appear as often as Bishop-Fortress. But even though Bishop-fortress makes more VP per turn and doesn't draw, I've never actually built the pure 4*Fortress 4*Bishop deck

In practice, if you have a deck of one province, RE's, villages and money, you will always benefit from buying more villages if nothing else. So one player will have at least 5 villages before both are incentivized to keep a static deck. But if you have 5 villages, you will want more than 2 REs since the chance to draw them dead is small and it increases your VP/turn. Then, if you have more than 2 cards drawing 4 and 5 villages, you'll reliably draw your deck and it won't really hurt you to add further green cards.

If  you actually don't have villages but just KC... maybe... but you probably want more RE's and more KCs if nothing else, then 2 piles are empty... I think you can construct a board where the optimum would be a stationary deck, but I think it'll be very rare. <5% of games where RE is present, maybe <1%.

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 21, 2020, 08:02:06 am »
+2

Such supposed Golden decks cannot emerge organically. You must have had the payload to buy 4 $7s and 1 $8. Those Coins and Buys do not magically disappear from your deck and you certainly don’t trash all you payload just to repeat a loop while you likely can afford to buy a Colony or two Provinces per turn, while still being able to get the VPs.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 08:03:17 am by segura »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 24  All

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 21 queries.