Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 24  All

Author Topic: Set Expansion Contest  (Read 79765 times)

Jonatan Djurachkovitch

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jonis20004
  • Respect: +95
    • View Profile
Re: Set Expansion Contest
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2020, 12:37:59 am »
+1

Well judged Aquila, and congrats to gambit05 for the win! Your card looked like a winner.

gambit05

• Minion
  • Respect: +495
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2020, 03:00:42 am »

Thank you Aquila and congratulations to the runner-ups!

Before I start the next round I would like to give some insight about my thought process that lead to Carpenter. Most of the specifics I have listed in my original post.

In my playing group(s), when new Expansions (or sometimes fan-made cards) come in, before we play the recommended sets or even go full random, we pick 2-3 new cards and combine them with relatively simple cards from the Base set, and a round or two later also with Intrigue and Seaside cards. With this approach, the Base set is over-represented in such games, also simply because that box contains all the basic supply cards. During those games, we miss a cheap +Buy card more often than not.
I also thought about creating a card associated with Curses, because there are 30 in the box, but only one card that cares about them. I couldn’t find an elegant way, and rejected this possibility, but NoMoreFun has found one! Kudos for that! I also think that LastFootnote’s version would have been perfect for the official 1st Edition of the Base set, but unfortunately the real Chancellor and Woodcutter still exist and and some people are still playing with them.

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2020, 03:15:53 am »

Contest round #2: Intrigue

(No surprise here.)

The criteria: Intrigue is about cards giving choices, Victory cards that do something and cards interacting with Victory cards.

While I mentioned in the post above that my playing group(s) often miss a cheap +Buy card in the base set, we don’t have a problem like this with Intrigue. So, from my point of view with Intrigue it is rather about designing a card fitting to the above described mechanics than about what is missing. If you think differently, and you design a card that doesn’t follow one or more of the criteria for a typical Intrigue card as I have listed above, please specify the reasons why your card is different.

Obvious no-goes: Card types introduced later in the official sets (e.g. Durations); tokens and mats; a lot more, but the list would be too long.

My criteria for judging your card:
- The above mentioned mechanics.
- Not overly complicated wording if not really necessary (don’t forget, we are dealing with the very first expansion here).
- Balance. I do what I can to figure that out, but please don’t be annoyed if I misjudge this one. I often produce some bonkers
  cards myself.
- Flavor is a bonus. Does the name of the card fit to its mechanics? Does it fit to Intrigue?

Good luck and have fun!

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2020, 06:12:18 am »

Informer
$3 - Action
+$1.
Reveal the top four cards of your deck. Put all victory cards and any one other card into your hand. Put the rest back in any order.

yup. it's yet another Scout fix.

Jonatan Djurachkovitch

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jonis20004
  • Respect: +95
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2020, 08:47:17 am »
+1

Farmers Guild
$5 - Action-Victory
Discard up to 3 victory cards from your hand for +2 cards each. If any of them were Action cards, +1 Action.
-
2 VP
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 08:49:51 am by Jonatan Djurachkovitch »

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2020, 11:03:08 am »
+1

Lumbermonger • $5 • Action - Treasure
If it's your Buy phase, +$2.

Otherwise, you may gain a card costing up to $4.

LordBaphomet

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: LordBaphomet
  • Respect: +161
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2020, 12:16:18 pm »
+2

My entry: Fief. No, not thief; fief. A fief owned a manor and land, which the farmers would work on. Collect more land and bring more fiefs under your rule to get better rewards.
Hail Satan, hail yourself!

LittleFish

• Tactician
  • Respect: +188
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2020, 01:23:50 pm »

Bluff Action
You and the player to your left both name a card. If either of you believe the other does not have the card they named, you may call them on it. You call first if you both wish to call. If nobody calls, +2 if you named the higher costing card. If someone calls and someone lied about their card, the person who didn't lie gains a gold. If both lied, then both gain a copper onto their deck

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2020, 02:39:44 pm »
+1

Bluff Action
You and the player to your left both name a card. If either of you believe the other does not have the card they named, you may call them on it. You call first if you both wish to call. If nobody calls, +2 if you named the higher costing card. If someone calls and someone lied about their card, the person who didn't lie gains a gold. If both lied, then both gain a copper onto their deck

Are you serious? I have put that text in the card image generator. It produces a wall of text of 11 lines in a very tiny font size. That would be way too much for any Dominion card, let alone one for Intrigue.

LittleFish

• Tactician
  • Respect: +188
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2020, 02:45:50 pm »

Bluff Action

Are you serious? I have put that text in the card image generator. It produces a wall of text of 11 lines in a very tiny font size. That would be way too much for any Dominion card, let alone one for Intrigue.
I'll move it to RCBI

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2020, 02:46:53 pm »

To be fair, the German version of Noble Brigand may be longer.

Edit: yup.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 02:48:07 pm by silverspawn »

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2020, 02:47:33 pm »
+1

I don't want to be a spoilsport, but I am afraid this is not a good choice for a typical Intrigue card. While an Action-Treasure card is certainly exciting, and Lumbermonger fulfills the criterion "different choices", it would be way ahead of its time. The first  official cards that allowed to be played in different phases were in quite late expansions (as far as I am aware of), e.g. Crown. While your card concept would easily fit there or in later expansions, I think it is not a good choice for Intrigue.

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2020, 02:55:08 pm »

To be fair, the German version of Noble Brigand may be longer.

Edit: yup.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2020, 02:58:07 pm »
+1

The original version, however, was 10 lines plus the +1$ sign (as you can see in the link), which is longer than 10 lines without a +1$. The version I own also has 10 lines I believe. Apparently they cut it by 3 lines in a reprint.

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2020, 03:04:58 pm »
+1

The original version, however, was 10 lines plus the +1$ sign (as you can see in the link), which is longer than 10 lines without a +1$. The version I own also has 10 lines I believe. Apparently they cut it by 3 lines in a reprint.

I know, the text of Noble Brigand is terribly long and there are a few more cards like that. Just imagine, translating Bluff into German. That would probably need an extra 3 lines or so. Anyway, it is way too much for an Intrigue card that wants to win in a contest.

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2020, 03:53:11 pm »
+1

Impersonator - Action, $5 cost.
+ $1
Choose one: reveal the top 3 cards of your deck, set aside one of the Actions, discard the rest, then play the Action; or replay an Action card you've played this turn that's still in play.

I looked for things that were missing in the set, and didn't find any. Guess that's what happens when you make multiple choice cards. So I thought, if it's got everything in it and all in good balance, then an emulator would go in fine. This one has a 'choose one' mainly for functionality; if it appears early in the turn it can dig for an Action (a bit better than Peddler), or if later it can Scepter (similar to Throne Room with + $1).
There are combos I've seen with this. Secret Passage an Action to within range of the dig, or Replace gaining one. Digging or Scepter-ing Shanty Town or Diplomat can help them proc. Torturer chains with extra money.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2020, 04:50:19 pm »

I don't want to be a spoilsport, but I am afraid this is not a good choice for a typical Intrigue card. While an Action-Treasure card is certainly exciting, and Lumbermonger fulfills the criterion "different choices", it would be way ahead of its time. The first  official cards that allowed to be played in different phases were in quite late expansions (as far as I am aware of), e.g. Crown. While your card concept would easily fit there or in later expansions, I think it is not a good choice for Intrigue.

ok. judge it on those merits then. This is the color split missing in intrigue and i entered it on those grounds while fulfilling the rest of the criteria (choices, simplicity, etc). I'm very happy with it as my entry and think it fits the goals of the intrigue expansion while giving a small taste of what's to come in future expansions. Consider it a sui generis case like how Nomad Camp used to be the only thing that messed with the opening, or how masquerade is the only card that uses the pass mechanic.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 04:52:32 pm by spineflu »

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2020, 05:24:07 pm »

ok. judge it on those merits then. This is the color split missing in intrigue and i entered it on those grounds while fulfilling the rest of the criteria (choices, simplicity, etc). I'm very happy with it as my entry and think it fits the goals of the intrigue expansion while giving a small taste of what's to come in future expansions. Consider it a sui generis case like how Nomad Camp used to be the only thing that messed with the opening, or how masquerade is the only card that uses the pass mechanic.

Please read on the wiki about Crown http://wiki.dominionstrategy.com/index.php/Crown. It seems Donald and others were really excited about a novel Action-Treasure card, and that as late as Empires came out. Your card can totally avoid being a hybrid card with (almost) the same functionality in making it a pure Action card (or pure Treasure), e.g.:

Choose one: +1 Action and +$2; or gain* a card costing up to $4.

* you may add "you may" if you insist of course.

By the way, I thought it is better to make my criteria clear as early as possible and not after judging the cards.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2020, 05:33:28 pm »

I don't want to be a spoilsport, but I am afraid this is not a good choice for a typical Intrigue card. While an Action-Treasure card is certainly exciting, and Lumbermonger fulfills the criterion "different choices", it would be way ahead of its time. The first  official cards that allowed to be played in different phases were in quite late expansions (as far as I am aware of), e.g. Crown.

You could easily convert it to an Action card with "Choose one: +1 Action, +$2; or gain a card costing up to $4."
Either way, I think it should cost $4.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2020, 06:03:42 pm »

I don't want to be a spoilsport, but I am afraid this is not a good choice for a typical Intrigue card. While an Action-Treasure card is certainly exciting, and Lumbermonger fulfills the criterion "different choices", it would be way ahead of its time. The first  official cards that allowed to be played in different phases were in quite late expansions (as far as I am aware of), e.g. Crown.

You could easily convert it to an Action card with "Choose one: +1 Action, +$2; or gain a card costing up to $4."

I think this is too strong for $4 but too weak for $5... the $5 version of this card already exists, and it's Charm. Charm isn't strictly better than this by any means, but it does the same type of thing in an overall more versatile and powerful way.

LordBaphomet

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2020, 09:28:42 pm »

I think this is too strong for $4 but too weak for $5... the $5 version of this card already exists, and it's Charm. Charm isn't strictly better than this by any means, but it does the same type of thing in an overall more versatile and powerful way.
Also special treasure cards only started in alchemy.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2020, 10:29:08 pm »
+1

Harem

LordBaphomet

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2020, 11:02:04 pm »

Harem
Whelp nevermind... can't believe I forgot about that.

grrgrrgrr

• Explorer
  • Respect: +415
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2020, 02:03:47 pm »
+2

« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 02:05:04 pm by grrgrrgrr »

D782802859

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +381
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 30, 2020, 02:12:33 pm »

Maybe this should trigger off of it having 2 or more types so it's less narrow. Minor nitpick, the color spit is upside down. The white should be above the green.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 24  All

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 21 queries.