Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24  All

Author Topic: Set Expansion Contest  (Read 79310 times)

Meta

• Baron
  • Respect: +60
    • View Profile
Re: Set Expansion Contest
« Reply #550 on: January 29, 2021, 02:59:16 pm »

I will withdraw my entry, as it doesn't seem to be liked by any people.
Furthermore the potion cost is actually essential, as otherwise you could use remodel to trash a copper and gain a phoenix.
The card being op in it's current state is probably true, that's another reason as to why I'm withdrawing from this contest.
The big symbols are inspired by harem and aren't necessary but make the card unique, which a promo is supposed to be.
The card being played during ones buy phase was not intended, it would be much too op that way.
The cost being 0 and having four types has more interactions with some of my custom cards, that's mainly why I included it.

Timinou

• Witch
  • Respect: +634
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: January 31, 2021, 04:54:39 am »
+4

Promo Contest Results

Treasure Cove by segura *Short-List*
$? - Treasure - Victory
+$1 per differently named Treasure in play
Worth 1VP for every differently named Victory card in your deck.
-
This costs $1 per differently named Treasure and Victory card in the Supply.
Treasure Cove is an intriguing alt-VP and Treasure hybrid that could play quite differently in various Kingdoms. In a Province game with no other Kingdom Treasures or Victory cards, Treasure Cove would cost $7 (assuming no empty piles) and could potentially be worth up to 4VP each and be worth up to $4.  With a similar cost per VP to Duchies, Treasure Cove appears to be better value for money than Harem. In games with Colonies and Platinums, Treasure Cove would cost $9 and I think more often than not you would opt for either Provinces or Platinums over Treasure Cove.

If we imagine a Province game where you have a couple of other Treasures and no other Victory cards, Treasure Cove would cost $9, but be worth at most 4VP at the end of the game. On the other hand, Treasure Cove could potentially be worth $6 if you have all the different types of Treasure in play.  In such games, Treasure Cove becomes more appealing for economy rather than for VP, provided that you are able to consistently draw a large hand.  It probably compares poorly to Bank as a Treasure, but the additional VP you get could still be worthwhile.

In a Kingdom with no other Treasures, but a couple of other VP cards, Treasure Coves could provide potentially as many points as Provinces and also up to $4.  This could create an interesting choice in some situations between purchasing Provinces or Treasure Coves. 

The dynamic in games with Castles would be quite different.  At the beginning of the game, assuming no other Kingdom Treasures or Victory cards are present, Treasure Cove would cost $15 and be potentially worth up to 12VP each at the end of the game.  However, as Castles start getting bought up, the cost of Treasure Cove starts to decrease, and they will likely be more attractive than Provinces.

Overall, I like the concept of Treasure Cove even though it is hard to evaluate if it is appropriately priced.  I agree with the choice of a variable cost rather than a fixed one; however, I suspect that it may be overpriced in many games.  I wonder if Treasure Cove's cost should only care about the number of Victory cards in the Kingdom rather than Victory cards and Treasure cards.  My reasoning for this is two-fold: (i) the difficulty of maximizing the VP value that each Treasure Cove gives at the end of the game vs. the amount of $ it gives you at each play doesn't scale the same way (and I would argue it is easier to maximize it's VP value), and (ii) even if Treasure Cove were to give you a large amount of $ because there are a bunch of Treasures available and you are able to get them into play, you are still limited by the amount of Buys that you have (whereas no such limitation exists for VP).   

Blessed Coin by majiponi
$4 - Treasure - Duration - Reaction
Either now or at the start of your next turn, +$2. While this is in play, when another player plays an Attack card, it doesn't affect you.
---
When another player plays an Attack card, you may first play this from your hand.
Blessed Coin has an eclectic mix of card types.  As far as I'm aware, this would be the only Reaction card that could potentially provide you with protection from Attacks during the round in which you have it in hand, and potentially the next round as well if no Attacks are played in the current round and you opt for $2 in your next turn. 

Even in Kingdoms without any Attack cards, Blessed Coin can be functionally equivalent to "Saving" a Silver and so it is still quite useful at a cost of $4. 

My main concern with the card is that their presence in a Kingdom could turn off players from gaining Attack cards altogether (which I recognize might actually be a positive for players that dislike strong Attack cards in general). Most other cards that nullify Attacks (e.g. Moat, Lighthouse) are otherwise fairly weak and as such, you don't want too many of them in your deck.  With Blessed Coin, you probably don't need as many due the fact that it is both a Reaction and a Duration, and they are probably more useful to have in your deck anyway.           

Scry / Warned by spineflu *Short-List*
Scry
$3 - Event
You may put a card your discard pile on the bottom of your deck.  If you don't have Warned, take Warned.

Warned - State
Play with your deck face up (turn it face down when counting or shuffling).  At the start of your turn, you may discard the top card from your deck.
Scry / Warned introduces a rather dramatic twist to the rules of Dominion.  I much prefer the current version with the single-sided State than the previous version with Twice Warned.  I agree that if it weren't for the constraints of this contest, this would be more streamlined as a Project than an Event.           

Playing with your deck face up almost seems too gimmicky. Even outside of a few strong card interactions e.g. Mystic or Jester (for your opponents), always knowing what the top card of your deck is and making the choice of whether or not to discard it at the start of your turn could be quite useful over the course of the game.  I can't decide if always knowing the top card of your deck would make the game more interesting or less.  On the one hand, it does alter the game in a novel way.  However, my current impression (without actually having playtested it) is that it would make it slightly less interesting.  There is often a push-your-luck element when it comes to deciding whether or not to terminally draw cards, and I feel like Scry / Warned would somewhat diminish that.   

Warden by Aquila
$5 - Action - Attack
+3 Cards
+1 Buy
Each other player discards a card with +Buy amounts in its text (or reveals they can't). Those who do draw a card.
-
In games using this, Duchies are worth 1VP more.
At first glance, Warden almost looks like Margrave, except the attack has a twist in that it only cares about cards with +Buy in their text. It also adds an additional twist whereby Duchies are more attractive to buy.

I like the fact that Warden itself gives +Buy in a game where Duchies are more desirable.  However, I think this is a double-edged sword, because in games where this would be the only source of +Buy, Warden could force opponents to discard a Warden from their hand.  In such cases, turn order becomes even more important than it already is.  The card already seems fairly weak relative to Margrave (granted that Margrave is a fairly strong card to begin with), so the additional risk of being forced to discard it because of your opponent's Warden makes it less palatable.  In my own experience, I've found that designing Attack cards that also block your opponent's copies of the card is quite tricky - and perhaps something that should be avoided.

Royal Heirloom by LibraryAdventurer *Short-List*
$5 - Action - Duration
Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal an action card, put the action card in your hand and discard the rest. Then choose an action card from your hand. Play it now and play it again at the start of your next turn.
Royal Heirloom digs through your deck to find an Action card, and then allows you to play an Action card from your hand both now and again at the start of your next turn.  Since you could play another one from your hand instead of the one that Royal Heirloom digs up, this gives you more control with Royal Heirloom than Golem, for instance.  As currently worded, Royal Heirlooms can also find/play other Royal Heirlooms, and so you could use this to strengthen your subsequent turns.

I like the general concept, although I wonder if it should only allow you to play non-Duration Action cards. 

Theatre by grrgrrgrr
$4 - Action
This card has the same types and abilities as the set aside card, but gives twice as many +Actions.
-
Setup: Set aside an unused $2 costing Action card that has +Action amounts in its text.
Theatre is a fairly unusual village that has multiple avatars.

It can moonlight as a buffed up Cellar, Lurker, Pawn, Haven, Lighthouse, Native Village, Pearl Diver, Hamlet, Crossroads, Squire, Vagrant, Candlestick Maker, Page, Ratcatcher, Raze, Encampment, Patrician, Settlers, Pixie, or Border Guard.  Every set except Menagerie would have a $2-cost Action card that would work with Theatre. 

As a first glance, there do seem to be instances where Theatre would be weak for a $4 cost card, although I don't believe there are situations where it it would be overpowered.  The main question for me was does Theatre make any of these cards more interesting in order to justify the additional set-up?  For the $2-cost cards that are already villages (e.g. Native Village, Crossroads, etc), I don't believe it does.  In some cases, I would rather play with original $2-cost card than the Theatre Version (e.g. Lurker, Page).  There are some that I would be more inclined to want to try (e.g. Theatre-Cellar or Theatre-Border Guard), but I think those would be the minority.  So while the concept is quite innovative, I think I would find it underwhelming more often than not. 

Chameleon by mandioca15
$5 - Action - Command
Play the last-played Action card this turn, leaving it there; if you can't, +1 Card, +1 Action, +$1.
Chameleon is perhaps what an Action card version of Scepter would look like.  Unlike Scepter, it only allows you to replay the last-played Action card.  It has an advantage over other Throne Room variants insofar as it can always function as a Peddler and so you will never draw it dead.  On the other hand, whereas you could play Throne Room on another Throne Room to play two Action cards twice, you can't do so if you replay a Chameleon with another Chameleon (at least as I interpret the wording of the card).  Unlike Throne Room, it also cannot turn cantrips into villages.  Of course, there is no unwritten rule that a Throne Room-variant needs to be able to do either of these things, but as a matter of personal preference I enjoy the explosiveness that you get with other Throne Room variants, and I feel like Chameleon, while still a fine card, is a bit tame in this respect. 

Dragons by X-tra *Short-List*
White Dragon
$5 - Action - Attack - Dragon
Reveal your hand; discard the Curses.  Draw until you have 5 cards in hand, then you may trash a card from your hand.

Each other player gains a Curse, or discards down to 3 cards in hand if they can't.

Orange Dragon
$5 - Action - Attack - Duration - Dragon
At the start of your next turn, gain a Gold onto your deck.

Each other player gains a Curse, or discards down to 3 cards in hand if they can't.

Blue Dragon
$5 - Action - Attack - Reaction - Dragon
-
When another player plays an Attack card, you may first set this aside from your hand to gain 2 cards costing up to $5. (This stays set aside.)

Green Dragon
$5 - Action - Attack - Victory - Dragon
-
Worth 1VP per non-Victory Dragon you have.
Dragons are a mixed pile reminiscent of Knights (and in games with both, Knights can slay Dragons!).  It's a neat idea to have distinct Dragon colours with corresponding card types.  I agree with others that it would have been a nice addition to see a Yellow Dragon and a Black Dragon as well. 

Dragons are Cursers that become hand-size attacks once the Curse pile runs out.  Nonetheless, I still find some of the Dragons rather weak relative to other $5-cost Attack cards.

Let's take Green Dragon, for example.  Other than the Attack, it is also worth VP at the end of the game.  However, it doesn't score itself, so you need to gain additional non-Green Dragons.  It's not a really strong alt-VP strategy; while you could technically score 9VP with a Green Dragon, that would require you to purchase nine $5 cost Dragons.  If you bought the same number of Duchies, you would score 27VP.  There is some synergy between Green Dragon and Blue Dragon, since you could use the latter to gain two additional Dragons.  However, given that this is a mixed pile, it is not a guarantee that you will be able to gain both (or even that you wouldn't be better off gaining Duchies instead of other Dragons with Blue Dragon). 

I much prefer the revised wording of Blue Dragon, although I think it would be simpler to trash it as part of the Reaction to avoid any confusion.  I understand the rationale for wanting it to score for Green Dragon, but I think it would be better to buff Green Dragon (e.g. 2VP per non-Victory Dragon), and since Blue Dragon can still gain two additional Dragons, you can still net additional points. (I suppose if Exiling were an option, that would be another alternative)

White Dragon becomes more relevant if your opponents gain and play Dragons as it lets you discard Curses from your hand and draw to 5.  Orange Dragon on the other hand doesn't seem to have any obvious interactions or synergies with the other Dragons.  There's nothing wrong with the gold-gaining per se (except maybe it could be gained to hand instead of onto your deck), but I would have liked to see a different bonus that would make the four Dragons more cohesive.

Liegeman/Treaty Bound by Xen3k *Short-List*
Liegeman / Treaty Bound
$4 - Action
+2 Actions
+$1
If you don't have Treaty Bound, you may Exile a card from your hand for +2 Cards.
-
Setup: Each player takes Treaty Bound.

Treaty Bound
State
When a player gains a Province, return this and trash up to 5 cards from your hand.  +1 Card for each card trashed this way.
Liegeman is an interesting card that starts of as a weak village; however, as soon as a player buys the first Province, all players return the Treaty Bound state and Liegemen then turn into very strong cards that give you +2 Actions, +$1, and allow you to Exile a card from your hand for +2 Cards.  With Treaty Bound, when the first Province is gained, all players can trash up cards from their hand and draw as many.  Deciding when to start greening is one of the key decisions in a game of Dominion, and I think this adds another dimension to that.  On the one hand, if you have Liegemen in your deck, you are incentivized to buy a Province so that you upgrade their abilities.  On the other, buying the first Province will likely mean that your opponents will benefit from Treaty Bound's trashing (and the earlier you Province, the more likely your opponents are to still have junk in their hand to trash).  Trashing cards with Treaty Bound seems a little anti-synergistic with Liegeman's ability to Exile then draw, but perhaps that was the intent.

Liegeman reminds me of cards like City and Paddock, except that the trigger for upgrading its abilities is different.  It's a neat idea, and it would be interesting to see this type of design more often.  This is one of those cards that is hard to assess without playtesting, because I feel like the meta becomes very important.  Will players rush the Liegeman pile in anticipation of someone buying the first Province?  Will players delay buying their first Province if they are behind on the Liegeman split?  Or will they forgo Liegeman entirely in favor of stronger cards early in the game, and only buy them once Treaty Bound is returned?

Cask of Amontillado by emtzalex
$4 - Treasure
$2
+1 Buy
-
When you gain this, you may trash a non-Duration, non-Reaction Action card you have in play.
Cask of Amontillado is a Kingdom Treasure that is worth $2 and gives +1 Buy and is also a weak trasher when gained.  Outside of some specific situations (e.g. trashing Catacombs or Hunting Grounds), you don't gain anything extra from trashing cards in play.  It might be useful for clearing away Ruins or Action cards that are no longer useful in your deck, but if you had the option, you would usually prefer to remodel them.

For a Promo card, I think it would have been more exciting if there was some additional benefit when you trashed the card (or perhaps allow it to trash when played rather then when gained).

By the way, the mockup of the card should say "Treasure" instead of "Action" :)

Uncork / Bottle Imp by Commodore Chuckles *Short-List*
Uncork
$0 - Event
+1 Buy
Take the Bottle Imp.

Bottle Imp
Artifact
When drawing your hand, gain a card to it costing up to $5.  If you have this at the end of the game, -13VP.
I like the thematic nature of this set of cards, and the concept is intriguing.

Games with Uncork / Bottle Imp will feel very different from regular games of Dominion.  For one, I imagine the games will be much faster and likely to end on pile-outs.  It would also alter how games open rather dramatically; you could gain a $5-cost card with Bottle Imp at the end of Turn 1 and play it on Turn 2.  The benefit that you get from Bottle Imp is such that you simply cannot skip buying Uncork.  The more interesting decision is when you stop buying Uncork, so that you are not the one stuck with the VP penalty at the end of the game.   

I'm not sure how fun this push-your-luck game of Hot Potato would be compared to a "regular" game of Dominion, but I'm very curious to try it.  It's quite difficult to balance a card like this, especially since Bottle Imp is functionally equivalent to playing Artisan each turn without having to topdeck a card.  The penalty would have to be severe enough to counterbalance that, but without creating so much swinginess that the fate of the game always rests on a single decision (i.e. when a player stops buying Uncork).  I suppose that even in games of regular Dominion, you could try to pinpoint a single decision that probably led you to win or lose the game, but it's not always obvious. 

Judging this round was very difficult as always, but especially so given some very off-the-wall and creative submissions!  Anyway, I've tried to give it my best shot, with the usual caveat that this is quite subjective and based on initial impressions rather than any playtesting.

RUNNERS-UP: Treasure Cove by segura, and Scry / Warned by spineflu

WINNER: Dragons by X-tra

Congratulations, X-tra!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 11:47:54 am by Timinou »

mandioca15

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +237
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: January 31, 2021, 07:53:36 am »
+1

My entry doesn't appear in the judgement.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1664
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: January 31, 2021, 08:04:44 am »
+5

I printed Theater and have played with it a few times at home. I like it, but my parents don't like playing the card and having to look at a different card to remember what it does.

I think Treasure Cove might be better priced if it excluded itself in the bottom part like this: "This costs $1 per differently named Treasure and Victory card in the Supply other than this."

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +580
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: January 31, 2021, 09:36:57 am »
+1

Congrats to X-tra! I, unfortunately, do not see my entry in the judgement section as well. It can be found HERE.

Timinou

• Witch
  • Respect: +634
    • View Profile
« Reply #555 on: January 31, 2021, 12:47:39 pm »
+4

My entry doesn't appear in the judgement.

Congrats to X-tra! I, unfortunately, do not see my entry in the judgement section as well. It can be found HERE.

Oh no!  I'm so, so sorry!  I did see both your submissions during the week, and I'm not sure how I missed them yesterday!  That's a big goof on my part (Note to self: when judging contests, post a list of submissions before judging).

I've updated my post with my feedback on your submissions.  Both are very interesting submissions (which makes me feel even worse about forgetting about them in the first place!).

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1110
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #556 on: January 31, 2021, 01:42:16 pm »
+3

Hey thanks for the win! I actually did playtest the mix pile of Dragons, and it was pretty neat overall. Their power level, I believe, was just about something I was alright with.
  • Orange Dragon, for instance, actually did make you gain a Gold to your hand on the next turn. After a couple of games, it became apparent that it was too annoying and strong, especially when some could open with one of them on a / split. It created a positive feedback loop where a player could just Curse the other while comfortably starting with a hand of 6 cards, with a Gold in there nonetheless. I know how people around here feel about these “yellow Curses”, but man. It did boost a player while squishing down the other significantly. And hey, the Gold gaining is relevant amongst other Dragons. If you didn’t or haven’t gotten a White Dragon yet, (a weak Curse trasher in the first place) and it’s the only trasher in the Supply, Gold gaining becomes a neat alternative way to deal with the junking.
  • Speaking of White Dragon, like I said, it’s a weak trasher. But it has to be. A player, especially in 3+ player games, could miss the opportunity of gaining one of these. With no other trashers, this could feel really bad for them. Dame Anna creates this problem as well, albeit it’s worse in her case, what with her being the only copy in her pile. So, while White Dragon can trash, it had to be on the weak side.
I also did create both a Treasure and a Night Dragon, just for the heck of it! They looked like this:

But in the end, I decided against it, since I wanted the Dragon pile to be more streamlined. Gold Dragon seemed strong to me when paired against Idol. It also didn’t do much. Night Dragon had a cool card type synergy with the rest of the Dragons, but eh. Again, wanting to keep it as simple as it can be amongst a concept that’s already a little more complicated than your traditional Dominion Supply pile.

So anyway. Erm. What to do next here? If there’s even a next? Should we keep going, or...? I mean, we could try to do expansion fusions; or contest about forcing certain criteria amongst an expansion (ex: Make a Treasure Kingdom card for Base Dominion (since there are none in this set)). Just ideas. I’m not too committed to any of them. If people wish for things to keep going here, then I’ll just put forth something. Hopefully, something people like and are alright with. :)
Bottom text

grrgrrgrr

• Explorer
  • Respect: +414
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: January 31, 2021, 01:56:38 pm »
+1

Personally, I'd discontinue this series and start a brand new series (in a different topic) in its stead. Not sure what, though.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3182
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: January 31, 2021, 05:47:42 pm »

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #559 on: June 12, 2022, 07:42:46 pm »
+1

We should probably do a two-week revival on this thread after FMC #40 wraps, do Menagerie and Allies

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #560 on: June 12, 2022, 08:59:06 pm »
+2

Sure, I wouldn't mind hosting the Allies set here since I was the winner of the previous promo contest. It's cute to burry this thread out of the ashes every time new official content arises. :)
Bottom text

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: June 12, 2022, 09:31:56 pm »
+4

I'd suggest closing "season 4" first. So let Fan mechanics run 1-2 more weeks* first, then take the hiatus there.

* Seasons 1 and 2 were 10 contests each, season 3 was 12, so season 4 has so far run 8 contests. So either have 41 be the finale or do 1 more and 42 be the finale.
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2107
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: June 12, 2022, 09:55:39 pm »
+3

We could redo the 3 modified sets

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: June 12, 2022, 11:18:33 pm »

I'd suggest closing "season 4" first. So let Fan mechanics run 1-2 more weeks* first, then take the hiatus there.

* Seasons 1 and 2 were 10 contests each, season 3 was 12, so season 4 has so far run 8 contests. So either have 41 be the finale or do 1 more and 42 be the finale.

I'm into this.

Joxeft

• Bishop
  • Respect: +103
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: June 21, 2022, 08:59:17 pm »

When can we start?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2022, 09:00:18 pm by Joxeft »

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #565 on: July 04, 2022, 09:30:10 am »
+3

Well! We haven't been there for a while, guys! Covid-19 and all slowed down expansion releases between Menagerie and Allies and thus this thread gathered dust in-between. Still, let's be hopeful! 2022 is a damn good year for Dominion, and we already have an expansion this fall queued up. In the meantime, let's revisit Allies.

ALLIES CONTEST

Allies has two obvious big mechanics, and I'll argue favorably for a third one as well. We got:
  • Liaisons & Allies. Cards that can yield Favors, or Landscape cards that use said Favors for miscellaneous uses. Normally I'd say you could design a pair of these, but I'd really prefer if you could design either a Liaison card or an Ally. It's less taxing for the judge! Besides, if I really like your Liaison card but not your Ally, then you did yourself a major disservice by designing two cards!
  • Rotating split piles. These are pretty hefty. I also had to judge Traveler lines earlier in this thread during the Adventures contest, rargh! Still, if you feel creative, go for it! Just... be careful to not fall into "too convoluted" territory here. Judging 4 cards not only for what they are, but how they interact with each other is tough, so uh, try not to shrink the font on these cards, okay? Thanks!
  • Recursive cards. Cards that find ways to be played more than once per turn, like Student can. You can also design a Duration card that can be played every turn. Be it because it moves somewhere on its Duration turn (your discard pile like with Highwayman, your hand, onto your deck, etc...), or because it replays itself somehow, conditionally or not. Hireling wouldn't count, by the way. I do not think cards like Merchant Camp are recursive enough, we saw stuff like this before with Scheme.
So uh, there are other "themes" in Allies, according to DXV himself, but I'm not so sure we should focus on them. Ex: Choice cards. Yes, this is a heavy aspect of Allies, but it was also a big focus in Intrigue, and I do not think it's sufficiently unique for us to submit cards using that mechanic.

EDIT: Remember that we are doing a SET EXPANSION contest! This means, do not incorporate any mechanics from other expansions in your submissions. No Horses, no Night cards, no Tavern mat, etc etc...

Judging will be done on the 12th of July 2022 (2022-07-12). Happy contest y'all!
« Last Edit: July 04, 2022, 01:11:23 pm by X-tra »
Bottom text

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +580
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: July 04, 2022, 11:34:33 am »
+3

Land Squatters
Ally
When you gain a Victory card, if it has no other types, put it onto your deck unless you spend a Favor. Otherwise, gain a Copper unless you spend a Favor.

An "Ally" that makes gaining Victory cards a bit of a pain. Not very game impacting, but just annoying enough to make getting Favors appealing. The Copper gain alternate penalty is to make it so the Ally does not top-deck Nobles and such. Feedback is appreciated.

Joxeft

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: July 04, 2022, 12:54:04 pm »
+1

Joxeft

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: July 04, 2022, 01:21:23 pm »
+2

Gardener - Action - Liaison - Cost: 5

Gain a card to your hand costing up to $4. If it costs $3 or less +1 Favor.

Feedback is appreciated.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2022, 01:22:57 pm by Joxeft »

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1448
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: July 04, 2022, 06:53:30 pm »
+3

My Submission:

Mageling • $3 • Action - Mage - Liaison
+2 Cards
You may discard a Mage for +1 Favor.
You may rotate the Mages.
Hydromancer • $4 • Action - Attack - Mage
+3 Cards
Discard a card. Each other player with 4 or more cards in hand discards a copy of it (or reveals they can't).
Librarian • $5 • Action - Duration - Mage
Choose one: +3 Cards; or +3 Actions, and at the start of your next turn, put this into your hand, then discard a card.
School of Magic • $6 • Treasure - Victory - Mage
$2
+3 Cards

2VP

My submission is a rotating split pile. These also use the Liaison and Recursive mechanics. This also fit the theme of split piles of magic users. Joining the official Wizards and Augurs are the Mages.

Mageling is a terminal draw that allows a player to discard another Mage card for a Favor. These will often be drawn dead (except School of Magic), especially early on, so getting the Favor is not hard. Later on it may become more of a sacrifice (especially if you build an engine). Hydromancer is a terminal draw/sifter that also has a handsize Attack. Since you will often want to discard a dead card (such as an Estate) the attack will be of limited value. However, losing that dead card might still be a disadvantage (if a player is trying to get a Librarian into their hand). You also might discard an Action card drawn dead that your opponent really wants. Librarian is the only source of extra Actions. On play it's either a Smithy or a Double Necropolis. If you choose the latter, Librarian will return to your hand the following turn, but make you discard a card (which can be Librarian). Finally, School of Magic is Victory - Treasure card. It is basically a Harem, with an additional +3 Cards when played. Many of these cards will be drawn dead, and there is a risk of triggering a shuffle before you start buying cards.
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #570 on: July 05, 2022, 07:23:15 pm »
+1

My Submission:

Mageling • $3 • Action - Mage - Liaison
+2 Cards
You may discard a Mage for +1 Favor.
You may rotate the Mages.
Hydromancer • $4 • Action - Attack - Mage
+3 Cards
Discard a card. Each other player with 4 or more cards in hand discards a copy of it (or reveals they can't).
Librarian • $5 • Action - Duration - Mage
Choose one: +3 Cards; or +3 Actions, and at the start of your next turn, put this into your hand, then discard a card.
School of Magic • $6 • Treasure - Victory - Mage
$2
+3 Cards

2VP

My submission is a rotating split pile. These also use the Liaison and Recursive mechanics. This also fit the theme of split piles of magic users. Joining the official Wizards and Augurs are the Mages.

Mageling is a terminal draw that allows a player to discard another Mage card for a Favor. These will often be drawn dead (except School of Magic), especially early on, so getting the Favor is not hard. Later on it may become more of a sacrifice (especially if you build an engine). Hydromancer is a terminal draw/sifter that also has a handsize Attack. Since you will often want to discard a dead card (such as an Estate) the attack will be of limited value. However, losing that dead card might still be a disadvantage (if a player is trying to get a Librarian into their hand). You also might discard an Action card drawn dead that your opponent really wants. Librarian is the only source of extra Actions. On play it's either a Smithy or a Double Necropolis. If you choose the latter, Librarian will return to your hand the following turn, but make you discard a card (which can be Librarian). Finally, School of Magic is Victory - Treasure card. It is basically a Harem, with an additional +3 Cards when played. Many of these cards will be drawn dead, and there is a risk of triggering a shuffle before you start buying cards.

I can tell you from playtesting a strictly worse card that School of Magic is way too good. I and a couple others tested a card that was worth and gave +2 Cards, for , and it was already too good even for , and School of Magic is way strictly better than that. Not to mention, it's also strictly way more powerful than Harem at the same cost; it's probably fine for it to be a bit strictly stronger than Harem since it has the downside of needing to be rotated to, but not that much stronger.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2022, 07:24:20 pm by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

emtzalex

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: July 06, 2022, 12:50:34 pm »

My Submission:

I can tell you from playtesting a strictly worse card that School of Magic is way too good. I and a couple others tested a card that was worth and gave +2 Cards, for , and it was already too good even for , and School of Magic is way strictly better than that. Not to mention, it's also strictly way more powerful than Harem at the same cost; it's probably fine for it to be a bit strictly stronger than Harem since it has the downside of needing to be rotated to, but not that much stronger.

I'm sure the card you described play testing would be incredibly good. In a deck without Action cards, it's effectively a Silver + double Lab (since unlike Lab which does nothing but draw, this both functions as payload and adds to your hand size). And that's the obvious way to play it, in something like a Big Money + Book (or whatever it was called) deck. But the card is much weaker in, for example, an engine that has more Action cards than Treasures.

I think saying that "it needs to be rotated to" undersells the difference between School of Magic and a card that is just available (like Harem or Book). Not only is it not available until well into the game, but in order to get it at least one player needs to have bought a Mageling, which is a pretty terrible card in a BM deck. And the rest of the pile suggests an engine or terminal draw strategy, which goes poorly with SoM. If one player decides to forgo the rest of the pile, and the other takes Mageling, then that player can choose never to rotate to SoM (if that would be more of an advantage for their opponent). Also, there are far fewer copies of SoM than other cards, making it very hard to build a deck around it (and, again, your opponent will likely have the power to cut you off from buying more copies).
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: July 06, 2022, 07:58:35 pm »
+4

Generousity • $4 • Treasure - Liaison
$3
+1 Buy
You may return this to the Supply. If you don't, each other player gets +1 Favor.

This was designed to be (1) stockpile like, and (2) provide a unique avenue for favors - you get them from other players, not yourself.

n_sanity

• Swindler
  • Respect: +33
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: July 08, 2022, 01:02:33 am »
+1

Salesman
Action/Liason - $5
+1 Action
+1 Buy
+1 Favor
+$1
This turn, cards cost $1 less.
-
Set-up: Each player gets +1 Favor.

emtzalex

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: July 08, 2022, 05:38:30 pm »
+1

Salesman
Action/Liason - $5
+1 Action
+1 Buy
+1 Favor
+$1
This turn, cards cost $1 less.
-
Set-up: Each player gets +1 Favor.

One potentially tricky thing about designing a Liaison is that (in a way) it's 23 different cards, as each one functions differently depending on the Ally it is with. This is crazy strong with Fellowship of Scribes. As long as you have 5 or fewer cards in hand before playing it, you can use the favor you get to draw another card, effectively making it a market/discounter. Imo, that's way too good a card at $5 (even if it's only like that 1/23 of the time).
he/him/his

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24  All

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 20 queries.