Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24  All

Author Topic: Set Expansion Contest  (Read 79285 times)

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1448
    • View Profile
Re: Set Expansion Contest
« Reply #525 on: January 26, 2021, 03:23:03 am »
+1

VERDANT DELL - $5
Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
Discard any number of cards for +$1 per two cards discarded (rounded up).
Heirloom: The Cheese

THE CHEESE - $5
Treasure
$2
When you buy a Card, if this is the only Treasure you have in play, +2VP.
(This is not in the Supply.)

Unfortunately, this wouldn’t qualify because of the need for VP tokens.

My bad. If its not too late I would like to submit this one instead:

Cask of Amontillado - $4
Treasure
$2
+1 Buy
-----------------
When you gain this, you may Trash an Action card you have in play.

he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1965
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: January 26, 2021, 06:30:30 pm »
+2

Hi, everyone! It's been a long time since I've participated in these contests!

This is my entry, a totally nutty Event/Artifact combo. It's a redo of the Cursed Bottle/Bottle Imp idea I posted here a while back. It completely changes the game, but hopefully in a fun way. In the beginning of the game, you'll be buying this every turn, but toward the end you'll have to decide if it's worth the risk of getting stuck with it.

mutated

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +29
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: January 26, 2021, 06:55:20 pm »

VERDANT DELL - $5
Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
Discard any number of cards for +$1 per two cards discarded (rounded up).
Heirloom: The Cheese

THE CHEESE - $5
Treasure
$2
When you buy a Card, if this is the only Treasure you have in play, +2VP.
(This is not in the Supply.)

Unfortunately, this wouldn’t qualify because of the need for VP tokens.

My bad. If its not too late I would like to submit this one instead:

Cask of Amontillado - $4
Treasure
$2
+1 Buy
-----------------

Two small things.

Utterly pedantic formatting change: you don't need to capitalize trash in the middle of a sentence.

Avoiding hard-to-track effects: consider trashing only non-Duration Action cards from play. I believe only Bonfire can directly trash Durations from play, but this can cause tracking issues as the Duration effects still occur.

emtzalex

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: January 26, 2021, 10:00:27 pm »
+1

Cask of Amontillado - $4
Treasure
$2
+1 Buy
-----------------

Two small things.

Utterly pedantic formatting change: you don't need to capitalize trash in the middle of a sentence.

Avoiding hard-to-track effects: consider trashing only non-Duration Action cards from play. I believe only Bonfire can directly trash Durations from play, but this can cause tracking issues as the Duration effects still occur.
Thank you! I copied the text from Bonfire (including the capitalized "T" apparently), but that is a good point about trashing Duration Actions. I also prevented it from trashing Reactions for thematic purposes. Here's the new version:

Cask of Amontillado - $4
Treasure
$2
+1 Buy
-----------------
When you gain this, you may trash a non-Duration, non-Reaction Action card you have in play.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 10:13:27 pm by emtzalex »
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

LittleFish

• Tactician
  • Respect: +188
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: January 26, 2021, 10:21:47 pm »

Cask of Amontillado - $4
Treasure
$2
+1 Buy
-----------------

Two small things.

Thank you! I copied the text from Bonfire (including the capitalized "T" apparently), but that is a good point about trashing Duration Actions. I also prevented it from trashing Reactions for thematic purposes. Here's the new version:

Cask of Amontillado - $4
Treasure
$2
+1 Buy
-----------------
When you gain this, you may trash a non-Duration, non-Reaction Action card you have in play.
Why a non-reaction?

emtzalex

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: January 26, 2021, 11:15:56 pm »
+1

This is my entry, a totally nutty Event/Artifact combo. It's a redo of the Cursed Bottle/Bottle Imp idea I posted here a while back. It completely changes the game, but hopefully in a fun way. In the beginning of the game, you'll be buying this every turn, but toward the end you'll have to decide if it's worth the risk of getting stuck with it.

I really like these. This mechanic feels fun, original, and thematically super on point. That said, playing with these would also be completely insane, and feel almost nothing like a regular game.

The simplest way to pull that back would be to have the gain-to-hand happen at the beginning of the turn, but that goes too far in the other direction, as you'd almost always have the Imp stolen before you get anything, until your opponents give up. One compromise might be to "At the start of your turn, gain a card to your hand costing up to $6. When drawing your hand, if you have not gained a card using this Artifact this turn, gain a card to your new hand costing up to $4."

A more modest change would be to take the "+1 Buy" off of Uncork. Players would have to choose between taking the Bottle Imp (and thus gaining a $5 card to their hand) and buying a card, at least until they could get a +Buy card. 

I did have one question. Do you get to see your new hand before you choose what card to gain? It's not clear from the wording.
he/him/his

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #531 on: January 26, 2021, 11:25:15 pm »

welcome back! the WDC moved to its own subboard, if you're looking for that

emtzalex

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: January 26, 2021, 11:32:19 pm »

Cask of Amontillado - $4
Treasure
$2
+1 Buy
-----------------

Two small things.

Cask of Amontillado - $4
Treasure
$2
+1 Buy
-----------------
Why a non-reaction?
It's purely thematic / for flavor. A react-er would be too adroit to be drunkenly lured into catacombs and bricked inside a wall.
he/him/his

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: January 27, 2021, 12:17:26 am »
+1

I really like these. This mechanic feels fun, original, and thematically super on point. That said, playing with these would also be completely insane, and feel almost nothing like a regular game.

The simplest way to pull that back would be to have the gain-to-hand happen at the beginning of the turn, but that goes too far in the other direction, as you'd almost always have the Imp stolen before you get anything, until your opponents give up. One compromise might be to "At the start of your turn, gain a card to your hand costing up to $6. When drawing your hand, if you have not gained a card using this Artifact this turn, gain a card to your new hand costing up to $4."

A more modest change would be to take the "+1 Buy" off of Uncork. Players would have to choose between taking the Bottle Imp (and thus gaining a $5 card to their hand) and buying a card, at least until they could get a +Buy card. 

I did have one question. Do you get to see your new hand before you choose what card to gain? It's not clear from the wording.

Yes, it's intended that you first draw your hand, then gain the card. I could reword it to make it clearer.

As for removing the +1 Buy, I considered that, but then that would just make the beginnings of games really boring, I think. Everyone would just buy Uncork and nothing else.

I also don't think giving a bonus for holding on to it until your next turn will work. I suspect the way this would be played is that it will bounce back and forth regularly until one player decides they don't want it anymore. I honestly think it would be rare for someone to stop buying it and then later decide they want it again. I could be wrong, though.

Timinou

• Witch
  • Respect: +634
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: January 27, 2021, 01:02:02 am »

What happens if you gain Cavalry with Bottle Imp?  Would you start your next turn with a hand of 8 cards?

BBobb

• Moneylender
  • My brother says thief is amazing.
  • Respect: +138
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: January 27, 2021, 01:06:17 am »

What happens if you gain Cavalry with Bottle Imp?  Would you start your next turn with a hand of 8 cards?
I'm pretty sure that you would put the Cavalry in hand, then draw two cards. So, yes you would start the turn with 8 cards (and 2 Buys) pretty powerful if i might say myself (especially with villages for the terminal Cavalries). Someone else correct if I'm wrong pls.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 12:14:19 pm by BBobb »

emtzalex

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: January 27, 2021, 03:06:08 am »

As for removing the +1 Buy, I considered that, but then that would just make the beginnings of games really boring, I think. Everyone would just buy Uncork and nothing else.

I agree that that is definitely what all of the players would do, but I don't think that would make the game boring. Even if everyone bought Uncork, the card they gained to their hand each turn would be different, and gaining a powerful card to your hand each turn would substantially speed up game starts. This would only accelerate as you can start selecting the cards you gain to go with the ones that will be in your hand (e.g. if you have a Bazaar, gain a Smithy or Torturer; gain one Treasure Map on turn 1 or 2, then gain the other when the first one is in your hand).

I think of it like a super-charged Alms. When Alms is present, I almost always use it at least once on the first two turns, as one is always worth less than the guaranteed $4 card I can get from Alms. Even though it costs my Buy and my coppers go unused, it is still the best play. The same would be true here. I would be thrilled to spend my one Buy to gain the strong card I want to my hand.

I also don't think giving a bonus for holding on to it until your next turn will work. I suspect the way this would be played is that it will bounce back and forth regularly until one player decides they don't want it anymore.

I think that's right. You would lose most of the effect and the thematic element of awesome power with a terrible risk.

I honestly think it would be rare for someone to stop buying it and then later decide they want it again. I could be wrong, though.

I mostly agree with Uncork having +1 Buy, but I think another twist that gets added by taking that away is that there would be at least some contexts where a player might forego using Uncork to, for example, buy a Province, Gold, or other high-priced card instead (especially in a game with no +Buys). But by doing so, you are giving your opponent the same opportunity, as they no longer need to spend their Buy on Uncork to get the Imp back (at least in a 2 player game). The strategy of that gets really interesting, because the opponent had to choose their card for their turn before knowing they would get a free Buy, but they did know what you chose, which might have tipped them off (unless you were careful not to do so).

I also think there might be some other limited circumstances, especially in a game with Colonies, in which it might be viable to grab the Imp late and try to use it to quickly take two colonies for a net VP positive.
he/him/his

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1413
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: January 27, 2021, 07:10:38 am »

It is a cool card but my hunch is that the VP value is too low. You can always get a free Duchy via the Bottle Imp, so the value of 13, which is likely intentionally 1VP more than the spread of one Provinces in a 2P game, might not suffice.
But this is impossible to determine in theory, it is a playtesting thing.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: January 27, 2021, 05:14:37 pm »
+1

It is a cool card but my hunch is that the VP value is too low. You can always get a free Duchy via the Bottle Imp, so the value of 13, which is likely intentionally 1VP more than the spread of one Provinces in a 2P game, might not suffice.

Actually, I just chose 13 because it's the unlucky number :P Regardless, you could be right that the penalty needs to be greater, I'm not sure either.

Holger

• Minion
  • Respect: +455
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: January 28, 2021, 09:22:07 am »

Actually, I just chose 13 because it's the unlucky number :P Regardless, you could be right that the penalty needs to be greater, I'm not sure either.

I think tweaking the penalty value would just change how early you would stop buying Uncork (the higher, the earlier), not change the strategy much. I expect that it will generally be a must-buy in the early game with 13 VP, so if you want it to be ignorable in some games, a higher penalty would be warranted.

But you could also keep it as is and go the "Donate route" where you (almost) always want to buy it at some point, but the interesting part is in the timing...

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile

Timinou

• Witch
  • Respect: +634
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: January 28, 2021, 01:29:15 pm »
+2

48(ish)-hour warning

I will probably pick the winners this Saturday.

Meta

• Baron
  • Respect: +60
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: January 29, 2021, 10:05:12 am »
+1

Withdrawn

Translation:
--------------------------------
+1 Card
+1 Buy

When you trash trash this, or discard this during your action phase, put it into your hand.

During your buy phase, this card costs 3$.

0*$ P    Action - Treasure - Curse - Victory

This card should still qualify for this contest, as it doesn't require potions to buy (It's actual cost is 3$).

2. Submissions should not require Potions, Platinums, or Colonies

5. You can use mechanics that are specific to certain expansions, as long as your submission does not violate any of the above restrictions.  So for example, the following would be permitted:
  • Duration cards
  • Night cards
  • Heirlooms
  • Mixed piles
  • Split piles

The 0* Cost is important, as to not facilitate infinite Gold with Mine/Expand.
The Potion Cost is important, so you can't gain it, unless it's your buy phase.

The 4 card type combination, is designed, so it can counter mountebank and also be overpowered with Courtier.
That combined with the ability to put it into your hand after discarding makes it optimal with Shepherd, Cellar, Secret chamber, Vault etc. and as a "defence" against Militia etc.

Those qualities should make it unique enough to be considered a Promo.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 03:00:55 pm by Meta »

BBobb

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: January 29, 2021, 10:53:47 am »

Translation:
+1 Card
+1 Buy

When you trash trash this, or discard this during your action phase, put it into your hand.

During your buy phase, this card costs 3$.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't really see the purpose of this card. Other than nerfing cursers, it doesn't do anything. Let's consider a random game, for example, or, instead, the First Game set. It interacts with 3 cards, Mine, Cellar, and Remodel. With Mine, you gain a Silver to your hand. Probably about -4.5 power level, weak. With cellar, it essentially adds +1 Card. This one's is actually pretty powerful. But then again, it is pretty much junk, so if you hadn't had it at all, you would still have the extra card. With Remodel, It is gain an Estate or a Cellar. Extremely weak. So, I don't really see when this card can do much.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 11:00:49 am by BBobb »

Meta

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: January 29, 2021, 11:27:59 am »

Maybe it's just me, but I don't really see the purpose of this card. Other than nerfing cursers, it doesn't do anything. Let's consider a random game, for example, or, instead, the First Game set. It interacts with 3 cards, Mine, Cellar, and Remodel. With Mine, you gain a Silver to your hand. Probably about -4.5 power level, weak. With cellar, it essentially adds +1 Card. This one's is actually pretty powerful. But then again, it is pretty much junk, so if you hadn't had it at all, you would still have the extra card. With Remodel, It is gain an Estate or a Cellar. Extremely weak. So, I don't really see when this card can do much.

This Card is balanced for the way that we play it, which I forgot to consider in the rebalancing.
We never play with random sets (usually each player chooses like 3 cards or someone just chooses all of them, meaning that Phoenix is always at least somewhat useful) and we always play with cellar.

So I may have to change the text to +2 Cards +1 Buy. The price of 3$ may be too low for such a card.

The only other way I see to balance this card is to make it a split pile, I'll have to see what I'm going to do.

Meta

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: January 29, 2021, 11:54:25 am »

Withdrawn

Translation:
+4 Cards
Trash a card from your hand and discard a card from your hand.

During your buy phase, this card costs 4$.

This way Phoenix will always be useful, and is also a trasher.
4$ seems appropriate, as it's basically +2 cards (unless you have another Phoenix), but it may be too good.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 03:01:19 pm by Meta »

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1413
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: January 29, 2021, 12:15:57 pm »
+2

You buffed an absolutely useless card into an absolute monster. We know from Masquerade how powerful drawing and trashing is. While this is not strictly better than Pooka, it is nonetheless far better than it.

I don't get why the card has the Fortress feature, due to the Coin cost of $0 it is utterly pointless for TfB. This combined with the Potion cost creates precisely one interaction with Apprentice.
The four types are ambiguous with Cursers and create again only one interaction with Courtier.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: January 29, 2021, 12:27:41 pm »
+2

You buffed an absolutely useless card into an absolute monster. We know from Masquerade how powerful drawing and trashing is. While this is not strictly better than Pooka, it is nonetheless far better than it.

I don't get why the card has the Fortress feature, due to the Coin cost of $0 it is utterly pointless for TfB. This combined with the Potion cost creates precisely one interaction with Apprentice.
The four types are ambiguous with Cursers and create again only one interaction with Courtier.
90% agree but Iron-whatevers/groom/etc will care about the four type thing.

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: January 29, 2021, 01:09:59 pm »

Phoenix also has an accountability issue. If you discard multiple cards, like with Cellar, your opponents don't see the Phoenix unless it's on top. It needs to both be optional to put into your hand and a Reaction a la Village Green and Tunnel.
Also, it doesn't need the big -0, , or 0 symbols.
I agree with the others that the Victory and Curse types just make it needlessly complex.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 01:12:27 pm by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

BBobb

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: January 29, 2021, 01:34:54 pm »
+1

I totally agree with this. The card is OP. I also wanted to mention that you can also play this in your Buy phase, so it can essentially become non-terminal also, making the card even more OP.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24  All

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 20 queries.