Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Dominion Characters  (Read 4672 times)

LordBaphomet

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: LordBaphomet
  • Respect: +161
    • View Profile
Dominion Characters
« on: September 19, 2020, 01:53:16 pm »
+2

This is a bit of a nonsensical discussion, but what is the hottest character in dominion art?
My vote goes to Wandering Minstrel
Hail Satan, hail yourself!

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: Dominion Characters
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2020, 03:22:53 pm »
+7

deckme's Card Art: A Needlessly Sexy Analysis of Dominion Artwork

Introduction
In their essay Card Art, deckme explores the question of sexual attractiveness in Dominion illustrations. According to deckme, Dominion themes and illustrations have been classy and suitable for children prior to the release of Dominion: Nocturne, which introduces cards such as Conclave and Vampire with sexualized illustrations. While the neckline on Conclave is plunging, Vampire, on the other hand, is needlessly sexy. (deckme, 2018) This presents an interesting dilemma about the perceived attractiveness of characters depicted in the artwork of Dominion cards.

Analysis
In western culture, "classy" and "suitable for children" are terms that have mostly been used to describe non-sexual phenomena. It therefore seems likely that in describing Dominion cards as such, deckme (2018) means to say that these cards are not sexual to a noteworthy degree. From the fact that the author only refers to Vampire as needlessly sexy (deckme, 2018), it becomes apparent that Conclave's plunging neckline (deckme, 2018) is entirely necessary, not particularly attractive, or both. As there is no apparent reason why Conclave's art specifically needs to be sexier than Vampire's, the reasonable assumption to make therefore is that Vampire is more attractive than Conclave. deckme (2018) does not mention any other cards from Nocturne as having sexually attractive illustrations, nor do they mention any cards from later expansions. As the later expansions had not been released at the time, it seems possible that the author did not have knowledge of the level of sexiness present in the illustrations in these expansions, making this one of the biggest limitations to Card Art's (deckme, 2018) usefulness in determining the hottest Dominion card art. However, the absence of any mentions of other sexy cards from Nocturne is more likely due to the fact that the author did not find them attractive enough to be worth mentioning.

Conclusions
The hottest Dominion card up to and including Dominion: Nocturne is undoubtedly Vampire. Further research is required to confirm whether the more recent expansions have hotter cards.

References
deckme. 2018. Card Art. Shuffle iT forums. Retrieved 2020-09-19. http://forum.shuffleit.nl/index.php?topic=2762.0.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

LordBaphomet

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2020, 03:36:45 pm »
+2

Man, I read deckme's post and, uh... reads like some kinda religious rant. Firstly, witch doesn't have bad art? I actually think it has some of the best art in the base set, maybe deckme doesn't like it because the women appears to be wearing very non-traditional clothing? Secondly, Necromancer isn't a satanic theme... it's a common fantasy element. Den of sin and devil's workshop are satanic, but I don't see a problem with that. We have bishop, chapel, monastery, cardinal, priest, church, so what's the problem of adding lightly demonic themes, especially to an expansion about monsters, spirits, and supernatural? But getting to the problematic part of the post, deckme won't show their children nocturne because of vampire, conclave, and exorcist. Vampire is wearing a dress, even from a religious perspective there is nothing wrong with that... and conclave and exorcist have boobs. So what? Deckme's children have never seen a woman? They can't know the concept of boobs? Torturer is shirtless, yet I don't see deckme complaining about that, in fact they praise the card. The whole post is rather silly, and deckme unfairly deprives his children of what is imo the most child/beginner-geared expansion. Also, can we admire what a snacc villain is?

Edit: might be biased on the satanist bit, for obvious reasons

D782802859

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +381
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2020, 03:40:08 pm »
+1

I actually think it would be a creative failure if Vampire wasn't sexy. The link between Vampires and sex appeal is well documented. Also, definitely gotta put my vote towards the man on Groom. Isn't Villain's face mostly in shadow?

LordBaphomet

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2020, 04:09:31 pm »
+1

I actually think it would be a creative failure if Vampire wasn't sexy. The link between Vampires and sex appeal is well documented. Also, definitely gotta put my vote towards the man on Groom. Isn't Villain's face mostly in shadow?

Eh, groom is fine. Here is my list of attractive dominion characters, since I have nothing better to do:
Woman from pursue
Villian
Exorcist
Page line
Wandering Minstrel, Mystic
Guy from Golem

gambit05

• Minion
  • Respect: +495
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2020, 04:14:40 pm »
+3

In my opinion, if the artists for Dominion cards would mimic the art of medieval and ancient times, we would see much more sexy people in their illustrations, especially a lot of nude people.

LordBaphomet

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2020, 04:38:46 pm »
+2

Donald X. should release a nude spin-off dominion, with hits like harem, courtier, and more. Must have guys in it too.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2020, 04:43:05 pm »
+1

The non-joke answer is Conclave.

LordBaphomet

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2020, 04:46:18 pm »

In my opinion, if the artists for Dominion cards would mimic the art of medieval and ancient times, we would see much more sexy people in their illustrations, especially a lot of nude people.
After some research, it turns out that in the medieval era they did not make nude art, only in the renaissance with the figures of the female Venus and the nude male athlete. During the medieval era the lower class did not have access to private housing and thus nudity was generally considered innocent, while in the renaissance it began to be frowned upon. In both eras, however, breasts were not considered sexual and it was normal for women to be outside with breasts visible.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2020, 01:10:19 am »
+2

I agree with Conclave as the answer to that.
with Swashbuckler close behind. (I'm surprised no one's mentioned Swashbuckler yet.)

...Den of sin and Devil's Workshop are satanic...
I think "Den of Sin" normally refers to a brothel, which while sinful, is not normally satanic. And Devil's Workshop could obviously be considered satanic, but I think mostly it's a just reference to the old saying that "idle hands are the devil's workshop". (But whatever, think of them however you want...)

EDIT: I didn't bother reading deckme's old post, but I wouldn't have a problem playing Nocturne (or any Dominion expansion) with my 10-year-old kid. (That is, if I had any kids...)

EDIT2: If I wanted to find any of the artwork objectionable (which I don't, really) it'd be Poacher. Her outfit is not only skimpy but completely out of place and unrealistic.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 01:23:35 am by LibraryAdventurer »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2020, 04:10:46 am »
+1

EDIT: I didn't bother reading deckme's old post, but I wouldn't have a problem playing Nocturne (or any Dominion expansion) with my 10-year-old kid. (That is, if I had any kids...)

It's worth reading, it's one of the classics and not even very long.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2020, 05:27:53 am »
+4

The joke answer is Sauna.

... because hottest. Get it?     Moat 

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2020, 05:49:11 am »
+2

I mean... what about Kiln though?
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2020, 06:47:22 am »

or Forge

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2020, 06:56:15 am »
+3

But it's about the hottest character and there's probably a really hot character in the Sauna, but not in the Kiln.

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2020, 07:09:55 am »
+3

But it's about the hottest character and there's probably a really hot character in the Sauna, but not in the Kiln.
I mean, that curvy S... yeah, I can see that.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
  • Respect: +863
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2020, 10:08:16 am »
+1

If your standard for "hot" is satisfied by a person being nude, then your assumption makes sense. Otherwise, there's no reason to assume that people inside a sauna are any more sexually attractive than elsewhere.

My personal favorite for hottest/cutest character is Merchant.
Check out my fan cards!
Dominion: Seasons - a small set Asper and I made that revolves around a unique and original mechanic
Roots and Renewal - this set is about interacting with the Supply and manipulating your opening turns
Flash cards - trying out a new concept

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2020, 10:35:20 am »
+2

If your standard for "hot" is satisfied by a person being nude, then your assumption makes sense. Otherwise, there's no reason to assume that people inside a sauna are any more sexually attractive than elsewhere.

I'm afraid you've missed the joke.

Marcory

• Minion
  • Respect: +1203
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2020, 12:53:41 pm »
+3

Yes, but people in the Sauna spend half their time in the Avanto, so on average, they're of ordinary temperature.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2020, 02:13:52 pm »
+1

Yes, but people in the Sauna spend half their time in the Avanto, so on average, they're of ordinary temperature.

However, it's not really half the time since there are more games with Sauna but no Avanto as there are games with Avanto and no Sauna.

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
  • Respect: +863
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2020, 03:34:22 am »

I'm afraid you've missed the joke.

Oh no!  :-\
Check out my fan cards!
Dominion: Seasons - a small set Asper and I made that revolves around a unique and original mechanic
Roots and Renewal - this set is about interacting with the Supply and manipulating your opening turns
Flash cards - trying out a new concept

Winston

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2020, 04:01:57 am »

Conclusions
The hottest Dominion card up to and including Dominion: Nocturne is undoubtedly Vampire. Further research is required to confirm whether the more recent expansions have hotter cards.

References
deckme. 2018. Card Art. Shuffle iT forums. Retrieved 2020-09-19. http://forum.shuffleit.nl/index.php?topic=2762.0.

omg :D .. what ... a ... post.wtf
disney movies ore other kids cartoons are often muuuuch sexier. Even if you would call Vampire sexy wouldn't that fit? It's a "vampire thing" from the beginning to be charismatic and handsome and those "satanic references"...r u ... serious? Then don't buy the "dark medieval fantasy (with a celtic twist)" expansion...:D
To Conclude:  ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

@OP Yeah a real nonsensical question :D ... i like the card art on hunting lodge a lot. Something i would hang on my wall

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +660
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2020, 11:27:13 am »

I've always had a thing for engineer.  I think she's pretty hot. As others have mentioned, conclave and vampire are pretty sexy too.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 20 queries.