Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Library Adventurer's Other Cards  (Read 10739 times)

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
Re: Library Adventurer's Other Cards
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2020, 05:37:53 am »

This was "Sellsail", one of Violet CLM's original cards using the Mutineer mechanic, but I renamed the card and the tokens. The only functional change I made was making it cost $3 instead of $4.
Alchemist
$3 - Action
+2 Cards
+1 Action
Take 2 hex tokens.
For my use, I also made it a split pile (so I can replace two Alchemy cards with one kingdom pile). Here's the bottom half of the pile:
Philosopher's Stone
$6 - Treasure
$2.
Choose one: trash a Copper you have in play to gain a Gold; or reveal the top card of your deck and either put it in your hand or leave it there.
I originally had my PS costing $5, but it seemed stronger than Counterfeit which is one of the stronger $5 treasures. Both my PS and Counterfeit + Copper make $3, and both trash the copper, but my PS also gains a Gold. But then my PS can't double-play a Silver or Gold, so maybe it would be okay at $5. I added the second choice when I changed it to $6, but my PS also doesn't have +buy compared to Counterfeit. Maybe I'll change it back to $5. What do you think?

I don't know whether they are balanced (at a glance they seem so), but concept-wise I like all three.

Philosopher's Stone
It seems you like to have a safety net (last part); why not be a bit more risky and change it simply to "+1 Card". You would get rewarded if you have some deck control, and if you are uncertain you can always use the other choice (even if you can't do it). A safer alternative would be "+1 Buy", but that may make it too similar to Counterfeit.
I guess because part of the reason I added the second option was to make it stronger (to be worthy of costing $6) and having it often draw an action that you couldn't play wouldn't help there.
EDIT:
If I changed the cost back to $5, I'd consider changing it to just "+1 Card".
If I keep it at Cost $6, maybe I'll let you pick from the top 2 cards of your deck to double the chances of drawing something other than an action. That way, I could get rid of the weird "put it in your hand or leave it there" part without making it weaker.
I don't really want to make you want more Treasures in your deck than actions. Actions are (generally) more fun.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 05:50:07 am by LibraryAdventurer »

gambit05

• Minion
  • Respect: +495
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2020, 06:05:27 am »
+1

I don't know whether they are balanced (at a glance they seem so), but concept-wise I like all three.

Philosopher's Stone
It seems you like to have a safety net (last part); why not be a bit more risky and change it simply to "+1 Card". You would get rewarded if you have some deck control, and if you are uncertain you can always use the other choice (even if you can't do it). A safer alternative would be "+1 Buy", but that may make it too similar to Counterfeit.
I guess because part of the reason I added the second option was to make it stronger (to be worthy of costing $6) and having it often draw an action that you couldn't play wouldn't help there.
EDIT:
If I changed the cost back to $5, I'd consider changing it to just "+1 Card".
If I keep it at Cost $6, maybe I'll let you pick from the top 2 cards of your deck to double the chances of drawing something other than an action. That way, I could get rid of the weird "put it in your hand or leave it there" part without making it weaker.
I don't really want to make you want more Treasures in your deck than actions. Actions are (generally) more fun.

I think giving $2, letting you trash a Copper for gaining a Gold is already quite strong. If you add this Treasure to the Kingdom, it should be meant to (also) assists Big Money strategies with few or no Action cards in deck, independent of whether Action heavy decks are more fun or the better strategy. A Gold gaining Treasure should give the Big Money folks some food.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2020, 08:18:43 am »

Decided to tweak/simplify Adventurer a little to make it cost $2 because Mummy likes $2 cost Actions. I got rid of the discarding-from-deck part, and made it so it's a plain cantrip at worst. I think now it fits better as a top half of a split pile with Mummy.
Adventurer
$2 - Action
+1 Action.
Look through your discard pile and put a Treasure or a Curse from it into your hand. Reveal your hand. +1 Card for each Curse or Ruins revealed. If you didn't put any cards in your hand, +1 Card.
-
When you trash this, gain a Gold.
Setup: Start with one Curse and one Ruins of your choice in place of two Estates. (+1 Card counts as putting a card in your hand.)

EDIT: oops I thought I was making a new post when I was modifying this post so the original version of Adventurer is gone.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 12:45:01 am by LibraryAdventurer »

Jonatan Djurachkovitch

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jonis20004
  • Respect: +95
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2020, 04:53:28 pm »

This should maybe have the looter type

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2020, 07:34:35 am »

Stargazer is already in the OP, but I recently thought about making it the top half of a split pile with Centaur on the bottom. (Apparently, I like split piles.)
Stargazer
Cost $3 - Night - Duration
Look through your discard pile. Reveal a card from your hand or discard pile and put it on top of your deck. If you topdecked a victory card, +1 VP and +1 Coffers.
At the start of your next turn, you may discard a card to gain a Silver or discard two cards to gain a Duchy.

Centaur
$6 - Action - Night
If it's your action phase: +2 Cards, +1 Action.
If it's your night phase: Gain a Horse on top of your deck. Then reveal up to 2 cards from your hand, discard pile, or from play, and put them on top of your deck. If you topdecked a victory card, +1 VP and +1 Coffers.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2020, 12:45:16 am »

Decided to tweak/simplify Adventurer a little to make it cost $2 because Mummy likes $2 cost Actions. I got rid of the discarding-from-deck part, and made it so it's a plain cantrip at worst. I think now it fits better as a top half of a split pile with Mummy.
Adventurer
$2 - Action
+1 Action.
Look through your discard pile and put a Treasure or a Curse from it into your hand. Reveal your hand. +1 Card for each Curse or Ruins revealed. If you didn't put any cards in your hand, +1 Card.
-
When you trash this, gain a Gold.
Setup: Start with one Curse and one Ruins of your choice in place of two Estates. (+1 Card counts as putting a card in your hand.)

And another split pile, named to fit a certain themed kingdom:
Dollhouse / Chest of Expensive Clothes (split pile by me, 5 of each)
Dollhouse
$2 - Treasure
+$1.
Reveal the top two cards of your deck. Discard one. If you discarded an Action card, lose a hex token. Put a revealed Treasure costing $2 or less into your hand. Return any remaining to the top of your deck.
Chest of Expensive Clothes (not sure if this should cost $5 or $6)
$5 - Treasure
+$4.
Take 2 hex tokens.
(My Heirloom Jewelry in the set expansion contest was based on Chest of Expensive Clothes except without using hex tokens. I actually think it works better using the hex tokens.) Originally, Dollhouse had "put a revealed Copper into your hand", I changed it to "Treasure costing $2 or less" so it works with heirlooms and other Dollhouses.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 12:53:16 am by LibraryAdventurer »

Holger

• Minion
  • Respect: +458
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2020, 05:55:08 pm »

Way of the Deer would be far too strong IMO.

E.g. it can turn any Village into an optional Lab (or a Smithy, should you prefer that), as long as you have any Action in hand when playing it.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2020, 10:31:09 pm »
+1

E.g. it can turn any Village into an optional Lab (or a Smithy, should you prefer that), as long as you have any Action in hand when playing it.
You're right. I didn't think about that. Maybe making it usable only once per turn would balance it enough.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2020, 07:42:17 am »

Changed Rubber Duchy & Rubber Duke in the OP.
Also added my entries in recent contests: Landmine, Gangster, and Paladin.

With Gangster, I weakened the attack a little from the version I entered in the contests, so now it's less likely to destroy your opponent's turn by discarding their only Village:

Gangster
$5 - Action - Attack
+3 Cards.
The player to your left reveals the top card of their deck. Each other player with at least 5 cards in hand discards a card sharing a type with the revealed card (or reveals they can't). If they discarded an Action or Treasure costing at least $4, they get +1 Coffers.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2020, 07:44:14 am by LibraryAdventurer »

gambit05

• Minion
  • Respect: +495
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2020, 09:46:38 am »

With Gangster, I weakened the attack a little from the version I entered in the contests, so now it's less likely to destroy your opponent's turn by discarding their only Village:

Gangster
$5 - Action - Attack
+3 Cards.
The player to your left reveals the top card of their deck. Each other player with at least 5 cards in hand discards a card sharing a type with the revealed card (or reveals they can't). If they discarded an Action or Treasure costing at least $4, they get +1 Coffers.

Is there a specific reason that the player to the left reveals the card? It seems shorter and simpler when the player them self reveals the card. In this way, also the "each other player" is unambiguous and the other players are all treated equally too.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2020, 11:10:16 am »

Gangster
$5 - Action - Attack
+3 Cards.

Is there a specific reason that the player to the left reveals the card? It seems shorter and simpler when the player them self reveals the card. In this way, also the "each other player" is unambiguous and the other players are all treated equally too.
Because it was made for the "The player to your (left/right)" contest...
Yeah, now that you point it out, I think I'll change it to the player reveals it.

Holger

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2021, 03:48:30 pm »

You're right. I didn't think about that. Maybe making it usable only once per turn would balance it enough.

That's probably fine in terms of balance. But a Way that you can only use once per turn and that doesn't "spend" the Action card on which you use it seems a bit awkward to me.
Essentially, it's equivalent to a free Project "Once per turn, you may spend an Action to draw a card." Therefore, I'd consider changing Way of the Deer into an actual Project, maybe costing $2 to $4 in order to make it an interesting decision whether to buy it.
(Sorry for necroing this ...)

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2021, 04:35:28 pm »

That's probably fine in terms of balance. But a Way that you can only use once per turn and that doesn't "spend" the Action card on which you use it seems a bit awkward to me.
Essentially, it's equivalent to a free Project "Once per turn, you may spend an Action to draw a card." Therefore, I'd consider changing Way of the Deer into an actual Project, maybe costing $2 to $4 in order to make it an interesting decision whether to buy it.

That might be a good idea. Since it's once per turn, I don't think it would need to cost more than $3, but this also removes the need to have an action card in your hand which makes it more useful.
(I'll update it in the OP as a project once I come up with a new name for it.)

(Sorry for necroing this ...)
Not at all. I always welcome feedback on my cards, and I still update the OP from time to time (or at least I intend to...)

Holger

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2021, 01:40:34 pm »
+1

Yes, $3 sounds good.

You're right, as a Project this is better with no Actions in hand at all than as a Way, I didn't think of that. It's also better when you play only non-terminal Action cards (e.g. Labs) during your turn, or when the last Action card you want to play draws several cards - e.g. you'd rather play Village-Smithy (and then use the Project if your Smithy didn't draw any Action cards) than Village-Way of the Deer-Smithy (drawing three cards dead instead of one).

I hope this doesn't make BM too strong as you could essentially have 6-card hands from turn 2 in the absence of any terminal Actions in your deck, if you buy the Project on turn 1 - it essentially becomes a cheaper and faster (but non-stackable) Hireling. But it's probably fine...

If you want to keep the card's theme, I'd suggest the name Deer Park (or Game Park) for the Project. ;)

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2021, 06:37:27 pm »

It doesn't need the deer theme. It was only animal themed because it was a Way. But my dad, who is my usual irl Dominion opponent, suggested Taxidermy...   ::)

EDIT: Updated the OP, adding Taxidermy, Cat Tower, Blue Doghouse, Cabal, and Chamberlain.
EDIT: and Town Square.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 09:11:27 pm by LibraryAdventurer »

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2021, 11:59:24 am »
+2

Updated the OP, changing Drunken Master and the rules for Drunks, tweaking Monkey's Paw, and adding Drunken Huntsman, Moonshiner*, Weatherman, and this possible Pearl Diver replacement:

Window
$2 - Action
+1 Card, +1 Action.
Now and at the start of clean-up, look at the top card of your deck. Either discard it, put it on the bottom of your deck, or leave it there.

*Moonshiner is pretty much the same as the Abominable Snowman card I submitted for the Snow contest, rethemed to fit my Tavern expansion.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2023, 02:23:11 am »
+1

Here's a few cards I've been working on trying to make the idea work. Most of these are still untested so far.

Stablehand
$2 - Action - Reaction
+1 Coffers.
Choose one: +1 Action; +1 Buy; Trash a card from your hand; or Gain a Horse.
-
When you trash a Treasure, you may play this from your hand.
This originally costed $3 (and was called "attendant"), but someone said it was too weak so I made it cost $2. I think the game could use some more decent $2 Actions anyway.

Lumbermill
$4 - Action
+$2, +1 Buy.
Choose one: Add a token to your Lumbermill mat. Or remove all tokens from your Lumbermill mat for $1 per 2 tokens removed, then trash this.
(or $1 per token,  but that seems like it might be OP)
Lumbermill B
$4 - Action - Duration
+$2, +1 Buy.
-
At the start of your buy phases while this is in play, choose one: Add a token to this; or remove the tokens and discard this for +1 Buy and +$1 per token on this (but not more than +$6).
I don't like Farmer's Market, so these are attempts at something similar that doesn't screw over the other player.

Buttinski
$4 - Action - Duration - Attack
You may trash a card from your hand.
Now and at the start of next turn: +$1.
Until your next turn, the first time each other player trashes a card costing $2 or less on their turn, they discard the trashed card.
Originally, this gave Silvers instead of Coppers but that didn't seem like much of an attack. The bad effect happens to you as well on the turn this is played. The wording seems a little weird... [EDIT: I reworded the attack and made it only trash once.]

Gemcutter
$4 - Action - Duration
Trash a treasure from your hand. Gain a Treasure costing up to $3 more than it, putting it on your deck.
At the start of your next turn, discard a card, then draw up to 6 cards in hand.
-
When you gain this, play it.
From a recent weekly card design contest, this originally cost $5 but was too weak.

Jinx
$5 - Action - Attack - Duration
This turn, when you gain a card, put it under this. Gain a card costing up to $4.
At the start of next turn: shuffle the cards under this into your deck.
Until then, when another player ends their turn without gaining a copy of a card you have set aside, they gain a Curse.
An attack that's kindof the opposite of Smugglers. I don't like how wordy it is. I've tested this one a couple times and it seems to work. Originally, it put the cards under it into your hand at the start of next turn, but that was too strong. Maybe using a fan mechanic like the Queue mat would cut some of the wordiness.

Golden Flute
$3 - Action
If you didn't spend an Action to play this, +1 Card.
You may discard a card to replay the previous Action card you played this turn if it's still in play. If you don't, +1 Action and +$1.
I have several cards with the "If you didn't spend an Action to play this" theme. I've tested this in a few games, and I'm thinking of changing to cost to $2. (This was also submitted to a weekly design contest)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2023, 09:08:41 pm by LibraryAdventurer »
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 21 queries.