Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Library Adventurer's Other Cards  (Read 921 times)

LibraryAdventurer

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • Respect: +1172
    • View Profile
Re: Library Adventurer's Other Cards
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2020, 05:37:53 am »

This was "Sellsail", one of Violet CLM's original cards using the Mutineer mechanic, but I renamed the card and the tokens. The only functional change I made was making it cost $3 instead of $4.
Alchemist
$3 - Action
+2 Cards
+1 Action
Take 2 hex tokens.
For my use, I also made it a split pile (so I can replace two Alchemy cards with one kingdom pile). Here's the bottom half of the pile:
Philosopher's Stone
$6 - Treasure
$2.
Choose one: trash a Copper you have in play to gain a Gold; or reveal the top card of your deck and either put it in your hand or leave it there.
I originally had my PS costing $5, but it seemed stronger than Counterfeit which is one of the stronger $5 treasures. Both my PS and Counterfeit + Copper make $3, and both trash the copper, but my PS also gains a Gold. But then my PS can't double-play a Silver or Gold, so maybe it would be okay at $5. I added the second choice when I changed it to $6, but my PS also doesn't have +buy compared to Counterfeit. Maybe I'll change it back to $5. What do you think?

I don't know whether they are balanced (at a glance they seem so), but concept-wise I like all three.

Philosopher's Stone
It seems you like to have a safety net (last part); why not be a bit more risky and change it simply to "+1 Card". You would get rewarded if you have some deck control, and if you are uncertain you can always use the other choice (even if you can't do it). A safer alternative would be "+1 Buy", but that may make it too similar to Counterfeit.
I guess because part of the reason I added the second option was to make it stronger (to be worthy of costing $6) and having it often draw an action that you couldn't play wouldn't help there.
EDIT:
If I changed the cost back to $5, I'd consider changing it to just "+1 Card".
If I keep it at Cost $6, maybe I'll let you pick from the top 2 cards of your deck to double the chances of drawing something other than an action. That way, I could get rid of the weird "put it in your hand or leave it there" part without making it weaker.
I don't really want to make you want more Treasures in your deck than actions. Actions are (generally) more fun.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 05:50:07 am by LibraryAdventurer »

gambit05

• Explorer
  • Respect: +192
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2020, 06:05:27 am »
+1

I don't know whether they are balanced (at a glance they seem so), but concept-wise I like all three.

Philosopher's Stone
It seems you like to have a safety net (last part); why not be a bit more risky and change it simply to "+1 Card". You would get rewarded if you have some deck control, and if you are uncertain you can always use the other choice (even if you can't do it). A safer alternative would be "+1 Buy", but that may make it too similar to Counterfeit.
I guess because part of the reason I added the second option was to make it stronger (to be worthy of costing $6) and having it often draw an action that you couldn't play wouldn't help there.
EDIT:
If I changed the cost back to $5, I'd consider changing it to just "+1 Card".
If I keep it at Cost $6, maybe I'll let you pick from the top 2 cards of your deck to double the chances of drawing something other than an action. That way, I could get rid of the weird "put it in your hand or leave it there" part without making it weaker.
I don't really want to make you want more Treasures in your deck than actions. Actions are (generally) more fun.

I think giving $2, letting you trash a Copper for gaining a Gold is already quite strong. If you add this Treasure to the Kingdom, it should be meant to (also) assists Big Money strategies with few or no Action cards in deck, independent of whether Action heavy decks are more fun or the better strategy. A Gold gaining Treasure should give the Big Money folks some food.

LibraryAdventurer

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2020, 08:18:43 am »

Decided to tweak/simplify Adventurer a little to make it cost $2 because Mummy likes $2 cost Actions. I got rid of the discarding-from-deck part, and made it so it's a plain cantrip at worst. I think now it fits better as a top half of a split pile with Mummy.
Adventurer
$2 - Action
+1 Action.
Look through your discard pile and put a Treasure or a Curse from it into your hand. Reveal your hand. +1 Card for each Curse or Ruins revealed. If you didn't put any cards in your hand, +1 Card.
-
When you trash this, gain a Gold.
Setup: Start with one Curse and one Ruins of your choice in place of two Estates. (+1 Card counts as putting a card in your hand.)

EDIT: oops I thought I was making a new post when I was modifying this post so the original version of Adventurer is gone.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 12:45:01 am by LibraryAdventurer »

Jonatan Djurachkovitch

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jonis20004
  • Respect: +76
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2020, 04:53:28 pm »

This should maybe have the looter type

LibraryAdventurer

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2020, 07:34:35 am »

Stargazer is already in the OP, but I recently thought about making it the top half of a split pile with Centaur on the bottom. (Apparently, I like split piles.)
Stargazer
Cost $3 - Night - Duration
Look through your discard pile. Reveal a card from your hand or discard pile and put it on top of your deck. If you topdecked a victory card, +1 VP and +1 Coffers.
At the start of your next turn, you may discard a card to gain a Silver or discard two cards to gain a Duchy.

Centaur
$6 - Action - Night
If it's your action phase: +2 Cards, +1 Action.
If it's your night phase: Gain a Horse on top of your deck. Then reveal up to 2 cards from your hand, discard pile, or from play, and put them on top of your deck. If you topdecked a victory card, +1 VP and +1 Coffers.

LibraryAdventurer

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2020, 12:45:16 am »

Decided to tweak/simplify Adventurer a little to make it cost $2 because Mummy likes $2 cost Actions. I got rid of the discarding-from-deck part, and made it so it's a plain cantrip at worst. I think now it fits better as a top half of a split pile with Mummy.
Adventurer
$2 - Action
+1 Action.
Look through your discard pile and put a Treasure or a Curse from it into your hand. Reveal your hand. +1 Card for each Curse or Ruins revealed. If you didn't put any cards in your hand, +1 Card.
-
When you trash this, gain a Gold.
Setup: Start with one Curse and one Ruins of your choice in place of two Estates. (+1 Card counts as putting a card in your hand.)

And another split pile, named to fit a certain themed kingdom:
Dollhouse / Chest of Expensive Clothes (split pile by me, 5 of each)
Dollhouse
$2 - Treasure
+$1.
Reveal the top two cards of your deck. Discard one. If you discarded an Action card, lose a hex token. Put a revealed Treasure costing $2 or less into your hand. Return any remaining to the top of your deck.
Chest of Expensive Clothes (not sure if this should cost $5 or $6)
$5 - Treasure
+$4.
Take 2 hex tokens.
(My Heirloom Jewelry in the set expansion contest was based on Chest of Expensive Clothes except without using hex tokens. I actually think it works better using the hex tokens.) Originally, Dollhouse had "put a revealed Copper into your hand", I changed it to "Treasure costing $2 or less" so it works with heirlooms and other Dollhouses.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 12:53:16 am by LibraryAdventurer »

Holger

• Witch
  • Respect: +238
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2020, 05:55:08 pm »

Way of the Deer would be far too strong IMO.

E.g. it can turn any Village into an optional Lab (or a Smithy, should you prefer that), as long as you have any Action in hand when playing it.

LibraryAdventurer

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2020, 10:31:09 pm »
+1

Way of the Deer would be far too strong IMO.

E.g. it can turn any Village into an optional Lab (or a Smithy, should you prefer that), as long as you have any Action in hand when playing it.
You're right. I didn't think about that. Maybe making it usable only once per turn would balance it enough.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 21 queries.