Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: In which I misunderstood Way of the Mouse, in more than one way (I think) (IRL)  (Read 2216 times)

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
+1

I played a game with my family today with a fan made looter that makes other players gain ruins into their hand. There was also Way of the Mouse with Raze set aside. (The kingdom also had Lighthouse, which just made this situation a little funnier IMO.)

A couple minutes into the game, I said "I just realized that this attack is completely nullified on this board by Way of the Mouse because you can play ruins as way of the mouse with Raze and use it to trash itself with +1 Action."
And this is the way we played the game, except I made the mistake of keeping the ruins at first, using them to trash my Estates, thinking I could trash my ruins later for my choice of one of the top two cards of my deck. I revised my thinking a couple turns later because the trashed card still cost $0, so you don't get anything for playing a ruins to play Raze and trashing the ruins.

Thinking about it more after the game, I realized that even if you play a ruins as Way of the mouse with Raze you can't use it to trash the ruins because the "this" on Raze still refers to Raze, not the card you're playing as Way of the mouse.
Is this correct?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 04:03:55 am by LibraryAdventurer »

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile

I've played a game online with Ruins + Way of the Mouse + Raze before. I'm pretty sure it was possible to trash the card itself. It didn't draw any cards.

This isn't how it works online (or by the rules), OP is correct.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 01:01:02 pm by Mic Qsenoch »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
Re: In which I misunderstood Way of the Mouse, in more than one way (I think)
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2020, 11:01:54 pm »
+3

Your thinking is correct; you played wrong. Mouse makes you play another card in just the same way that Throne Room or current Band of Misfits does. There is no connection between the Ruins you played and the Raze that you played, other than the Ruins having the instruction to play Raze.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile

This isn't how it works online (or by the rules), OP is correct.

I assume you're right (and I misrememberd) and have deleted my comment.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 20 queries.