Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Batch of new cards  (Read 1427 times)

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
  • Respect: +190
    • View Profile
Batch of new cards
« on: August 27, 2020, 12:51:56 pm »

Here's my first batch of new ideas since getting back on here

Guild
$3 Action-Duration
Now and at the start of your next turn: +1 Card. Discard 2 cards. If you did, +2 Coffers.
During this turn and your next turn, you may spend a coffer for +1 Buy.

Guild is a placeholder name.
Really not sure about this or any of these really, their mostly about the main concept rather than the specifics.

Ram
$4 Action-Reaction
+3 Cards
Discard 2 cards.
-
When you gain a card during your turn, you may reveal this from your hand to play a card from your hand.

I was looking at Menagerie and I thought of this as a twist on cards like Sheepdog. There's no real reason it's named Ram.

Fish
$2 Treasure
$1
+2 Cards

I think this is interesting. I was trying to think of a card to go with the name fish. I wanted it to be a copper variant, and fishing always makes me think of drawing, so here it is.

Craftsman
$3 Action
Discard a card. Gain a non-Victory card costing exactly as much as it.

Something I came up with as I was typing these up. No idea how good it is.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 05:09:05 pm by Fly-Eagles-Fly »

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1683
    • View Profile
Re: Batch of new cards
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2020, 03:22:19 pm »
+1

Here's my first batch of new ideas since getting back on here, is it better to have a new thread for a new group of cards, or just add them to my page/thread? Anyway, here's some cards.

No name yet
$3 Action-Duration
During this turn and next turn, you may spend a coffer for +1 Buy.
While this is in play, when anyone gains a card costing $5 or more, +1 Coffers.

This scales too much with player count, IMO.

Ram
$4 Action-Reaction
+3 Cards
Discard 2 cards.
-
When you gain a card during your turn, you may reveal this from your hand to play a card from your hand.

1. The reaction, as worded, technically allows playing Victory cards, even if that wouldn't do anything. It should probably specify "an Action card from your hand."
2. There's nothing preventing you from repeatedly revealing the same Ram over and over again to play every card in your hand. All official Reactions either have effects that don't stack (such as Moat and Watchtower) or remove themselves from your hand when reacting (such as Beggar and Horse Traders), because there's no rule preventing you from reacting with the same copy of a given reaction over and over again.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2020, 03:33:54 pm »

2. There's nothing preventing you from repeatedly revealing the same Ram over and over again to play every card in your hand. All official Reactions either have effects that don't stack (such as Moat and Watchtower) or remove themselves from your hand when reacting (such as Beggar and Horse Traders), because there's no rule preventing you from reacting with the same copy of a given reaction over and over again.

While likely overpowered, this isn't as much of a problem because each time you use it you play a card from your hand, meaning it can't (easily) go infinite.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2020, 03:38:07 pm »
+1

No name yet
$3 Action-Duration

The timing needs to be clarified, saying you can do something "during this turn and next" is unclear. Likely you want it to be usable anytime you could spend Coffers for normally (in your buy phase before buying cards). Perhaps that could be worded like:

"During this turn and next turn, when you would get from spending a Coffers, you may instead get +1 Buy."

I don't particularly like that wording either though... there's probably a clearer way to phrase it.

No name
$3 Action
Discard a card. Gain a non-Victory card costing up to as much as it.

Seems neat. It might be overpowered with discarding Provinces though. It might be more interesting and balanced if instead it only can gain a non-Victory card costing exactly the same as the discarded card instead of up to.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

alion8me

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: alion8me
  • Respect: +178
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2020, 03:44:07 pm »
+2

Here's my first batch of new ideas since getting back on here, is it better to have a new thread for a new group of cards, or just add them to my page/thread? Anyway, here's some cards.

No name yet
$3 Action-Duration

Really not sure about this or any of these really, their mostly about the main concept rather than the specifics.

This seems OK, but kind of weak if you don't really need the +Buy - at least in 2P. The scaling this receives from being in multiplayer is insane though.

Ram
$4 Action-Reaction
+3 Cards
Discard 2 cards.
-

I was looking at Menagerie and I thought of this as a twist on cards like Sheepdog. There's no real reason it's named Ram.

As worded, this can be revealed over and over again when you gain a card, allowing you to play all the actions you can get into your hand.

People talked about this while I wrote this up - I think giving you one turn of the Champion effect for having this in your hand when you gain a card is probably way too good in games where there are any gainers, even if it doesn't lead to an infinite all by itself.

Assuming that this is unintentional it seems too weak to be worth buying. The top half is extremely weak and the Reaction effect is often worse than Necropolis (in that it's very conditional. It does let you play things during your Buy phase after you're out of Actions but that will not often matter considering you will have had to buy a card first).

Fish
$2 Treasure
$1
+2 Cards

I think this is interesting. I was trying to think of a card to go with the name fish. I wanted it to be a copper variant, and fishing always makes me think of drawing, so here it is.
I suspect that this is incredibly strong as a monolithic strategy. But if it cost too much more to where you couldn't do that anymore, it would probably be very rarely bought. Drawing Actions to your hand with it will also not feel great for the player.

Snowy Market
$2 Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
+3 Buys
Ignore any further +Buys you get this turn.

This is fairly obvious and may have been made before.

This is insane as a way to get Buys - in a lot of games you really don't need more than 3 or 4 at any point, this gives you all of that as a $2 cantrip.

No name
$3 Action
Discard a card. Gain a non-Victory card costing up to as much as it.

This is my favorite one. It think it would usually be pretty weak (but within a good range still) but there are a few exciting tricks it can pull off. Also very helpful once you have green cards in your deck. I suspect you could make this non-terminal to make it better in games without any combos while still not being too crazy.

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2020, 04:49:11 pm »

Thanks for the response, I'll try to address it all eventually.
First of all: Is there a wording for Ram that would allow it to trigger multiple times per turn but avoiding the infinite reveal?
Also, I left at play a card instead of Action card so that you could do neat tricks with playing types of cards in different phases than usual.

Edit: Second, I changed the newly-named Craftsman to say costing exactly as much.
Edit: Third, I changed the temporarily-named Guild to a different effect that doesn't have scaling problems, though it's just something random off the top of my head, I don't know how balanced it is.
Edit: Thought better about Snowy Market.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 05:09:31 pm by Fly-Eagles-Fly »

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2020, 03:55:06 pm »

Does the existence of Tactician make Ram broken or just have good synergy? You can buy a card, then reveal Ram, playing Tactician, discarding your hand after having already bought a card.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2020, 04:02:01 pm »

Does the existence of Tactician make Ram broken or just have good synergy? You can buy a card, then reveal Ram, playing Tactician, discarding your hand after having already bought a card.

Definitely just good synergy. There are now a lot of ways to play cards after you buy a card. March and Gamble are simple examples. Innovation seems way crazier with Tactician.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 04:03:12 pm by GendoIkari »

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2020, 04:44:39 pm »

Definitely just good synergy. There are now a lot of ways to play cards after you buy a card. March and Gamble are simple examples. Innovation seems way crazier with Tactician.
Okay. I'm not completely caught up on the last two expansions.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 20 queries.