Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 52  All

Author Topic: Codenames XI  (Read 99873 times)

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
    • View Profile
Re: Codenames XI
« Reply #350 on: September 23, 2020, 11:36:07 am »

By the way, as I have been wondering, and not being a spymaster seems like a good time to ask this: Do we have a consensus on whether full names are allowed as clues?

My vote is no. One word only.

What about 2 word concepts? Like giving the clue New York, you couldn't give that clue with just York or New because those are completely different things.

I mean, I trust all of us not to abuse the rules like joth pointed out, so my vote is probably yes. Though I'd be okay with a no ruling if that's what the consensus is.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: September 23, 2020, 12:01:11 pm »

I think it creates a weird slippery slope where I could say Bob Miller Green, which is plausibly a name, when really I just wanted to give the clues bob, miller, and green which point to different words in the grid.
I mean, I trust everyone here enough to believe it wouldn't be abused. The opposing spymaster could always challenge such a clue. Right now, I could also say "Apym", which is plausibly a name, but I just want to clue Apple, Paper, Yacht, Mice.

But I am also okay with disallowing it; I just wanted to have a ruling one way or the other, as the official rules don't give a definite ruling.

Well apym is strictly against the rules, not because it's not as name, but because you can't clue based on the letters in a word.

By the way, as I have been wondering, and not being a spymaster seems like a good time to ask this: Do we have a consensus on whether full names are allowed as clues?

My vote is no. One word only.

What about 2 word concepts? Like giving the clue New York, you couldn't give that clue with just York or New because those are completely different things.

I mean, I trust all of us not to abuse the rules like joth pointed out, so my vote is probably yes. Though I'd be okay with a no ruling if that's what the consensus is.

I will also go with consensus, but still prefer to be strict and not allow any spaces. (for new york, you'd just come up with something like Manhattan)
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: September 23, 2020, 01:59:32 pm »

Round is Blue
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: September 23, 2020, 03:51:20 pm »

I think it creates a weird slippery slope where I could say Bob Miller Green, which is plausibly a name, when really I just wanted to give the clues bob, miller, and green which point to different words in the grid.
I mean, I trust everyone here enough to believe it wouldn't be abused. The opposing spymaster could always challenge such a clue. Right now, I could also say "Apym", which is plausibly a name, but I just want to clue Apple, Paper, Yacht, Mice.

But I am also okay with disallowing it; I just wanted to have a ruling one way or the other, as the official rules don't give a definite ruling.

Well apym is strictly against the rules, not because it's not as name, but because you can't clue based on the letters in a word.
Well yes, but so is joth's example:
Quote from: Codenames rules
Spymasters  should  not  be  allowed  to  make  up  names,  not  even  names  that  turn  out  to  be  real. Sue Mee is not avalid clue for CHINA and LAWYER.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: September 23, 2020, 03:52:40 pm »

I am still in favor of passing by the way. We have two words left unclued, I figure we'll be in a stronger position if we pass now and try to guess the rest next time around.

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: September 23, 2020, 04:09:00 pm »

Well yes, but so is joth's example:
Quote from: Codenames rules
Spymasters  should  not  be  allowed  to  make  up  names,  not  even  names  that  turn  out  to  be  real. Sue Mee is not avalid clue for CHINA and LAWYER.

Good point.

Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: September 23, 2020, 08:01:21 pm »

I really think we should guess Wall. Very straightforward clue for clock.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: September 24, 2020, 12:48:52 am »

I really think we should guess Wall. Very straightforward clue for clock.
How does it help us to do this now rather than next turn?

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: September 24, 2020, 08:43:03 am »

How does it help us to do it next turn rather than now?
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: September 24, 2020, 10:23:47 am »

How does it help us to do it next turn rather than now?
Well, revealing it now gives the other team more information for their next move.

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #360 on: September 24, 2020, 11:20:40 am »

Alright, we'll pass then (again, not the word)

He/him

Swowl

• Pawn
  • Shuffle iT Username: Swowl
  • Snow.Owl.Duh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: September 24, 2020, 04:23:54 pm »

FANCY: 3
Jesus how did i fuck that up
real good. That’s how
Town:  14 wins, 14 losses (1 MVP)
Skum: 7 wins, 7 losses (1 MVP)
3-Party: 4 wins, 1 loss

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: September 24, 2020, 09:33:41 pm »

3, huh?

I'm thinking OPERA and that CAT (Cat Fancy, isn't that something?)

Not sure what could be third. CYCLE? (some people have fancy bikes)

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: September 24, 2020, 11:44:49 pm »

CATCAPRABBITBARKFIGURE
TALEWITCHIRONWALLGOLD
BOMBDINOSAURPITCHDANCESKYSCRAPER
OLIVEROUNDGREENCROWNCHECK
OPERAPINCYCLEPASSFIRE
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: September 24, 2020, 11:46:02 pm »

Opera for sure.

I see CAP before CYCLE since fancy hats are more common than fancy bikes. OLIVEs are sometimes considered a garnish for a "fancy" meal.

I'd probably do CAP next, then a tie between olive and cat.

Swowl

• Pawn
  • Snow.Owl.Duh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: September 25, 2020, 12:17:39 am »

Opera is red
real good. That’s how

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: September 25, 2020, 12:37:42 am »

We also still have one for teller. (unless opera was)

If we assume they will get a clue for the last unclued words, they could win.

But we can win out if we get both fancy and 1 teller.

My issue with cap, is that while there are fancy hats, caps are generally not fancy.

I kinda do like Olive, thinking of Olive oil, as well. (though I wouldn't call the Olive Garden fancy!  ::))

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: September 25, 2020, 08:12:15 am »

Someone didn’t grow up in the suburbs!

He/him

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: September 25, 2020, 10:34:49 am »

Then let's lock in Olive next.

We can go with Rabbit, as well, for the Teller clue.

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: September 25, 2020, 10:53:59 am »

OLIVE

Swowl

• Pawn
  • Snow.Owl.Duh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: September 25, 2020, 02:04:12 pm »

Olive is red
real good. That’s how

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: September 25, 2020, 04:16:01 pm »

Rabbit?

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: September 25, 2020, 05:33:18 pm »

I don't know. I know the one who suggested it, but it still seems meh to me. (I mean Teller is a magician and magicians are associated with rabbits, but I'm not sure if Teller himself is specific to rabbits).

There's also Wall, which could be there's for clock, but could be ours for Teller, i.e. ATMs are often built into walls.

And for fancy in in addition to cat and cap / cycle, I just noticed PIN, which are often worn when dressing up more fancy?

OH and another reason for Cat - Fancy Feast is a brand of cat food!

So, in summary, we need two and these are all possible:
Cat
Cap
Cycle
Pin
Rabbit
Wall

I think I like cat next best of all those. Or Pin.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: September 25, 2020, 10:06:35 pm »

Alright, let's try it out. Cat

Swowl

• Pawn
  • Snow.Owl.Duh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: September 26, 2020, 12:28:49 am »

Cat is neutral.
real good. That’s how
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 52  All

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 20 queries.