Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Perks - random fancard idea I had  (Read 1009 times)

Something_Smart

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: S_Smart
  • Respect: +185
    • View Profile
Perks - random fancard idea I had
« on: August 23, 2020, 10:47:21 pm »
+4

I just had this random idea for a mechanic and then I brainstormed a bit and came up with a bunch of stuff. Feedback is welcome but I'm mostly just dumping this here because lol why not.

The idea is called the Perk deck. Cards that use the Perk deck have the Favor type.

Perks are pretty much a cross between Boons and Artifacts. Like Artifacts, there is one copy of each, and once taken by a player they are held by that player and provide a permanent effect until another player takes them away. When a player is instructed to take a Perk, they may choose to either draw a random one from the deck, or steal one from any other player.

This is a pretty rough idea and I haven't playtested it at all. My main fear (in 2p) is that it will be obviously better to take your opponent's Perk than it will be to draw a random one, even if your opponent's is bad. I tried to make up for this by having Favor cards that cycle out the Perks or are easy to play en masse, but I'm still afraid that a lot of times it will devolve to stealing the best few back and forth.

Anyway, without further ado, here are the Perks I've come up with so far:

And the Favor cards:

gambit05

• Minion
  • Respect: +495
    • View Profile
Re: Perks - random fancard idea I had
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2020, 03:15:59 am »

I just had this random idea for a mechanic and then I brainstormed a bit and came up with a bunch of stuff. Feedback is welcome but I'm mostly just dumping this here because lol why not.

The idea is called the Perk deck. Cards that use the Perk deck have the Favor type.

Perks are pretty much a cross between Boons and Artifacts. Like Artifacts, there is one copy of each, and once taken by a player they are held by that player and provide a permanent effect until another player takes them away. When a player is instructed to take a Perk, they may choose to either draw a random one from the deck, or steal one from any other player.

This is a pretty rough idea and I haven't playtested it at all. My main fear (in 2p) is that it will be obviously better to take your opponent's Perk than it will be to draw a random one, even if your opponent's is bad. I tried to make up for this by having Favor cards that cycle out the Perks or are easy to play en masse, but I'm still afraid that a lot of times it will devolve to stealing the best few back and forth.

Anyway, without further ado, here are the Perks I've come up with so far:

And the Favor cards:

I like the idea. I have a few related ideas, and maybe I will post one of them soon.

What about each player has a single cube (as used for Projects, but movable) and “take a Perk” is defined as either taking a new Perk from its pile or putting the cube on a Perk of an opponent. That Perk is then shared and can be used by both players (or more in 3+ player games).*

When a player (with the cube placed on an existing Perk) takes the next Perk, they can either take a new Perk from the pile or move their cube to a different Perk somewhere set aside already.

As far as I can see it, this would do the following things: It reduces the randomness, it brings more active Perks into the game, and it avoids that strong Perks are stolen back and forth between players.

*When the player, who has first taken a given Perk (this is easily trackable, because that Perk is set aside next to them and it doesn’t have their own cube on it), looses that Perk, it will be set aside to the player to the left who has a cube on it.

grep

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +449
    • View Profile
Re: Perks - random fancard idea I had
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2020, 12:52:54 pm »

My main concern is that when a player has many perks, it will significantly slow down the game. There should be some artificial limit, like having only <number of players> perks available in each game, or no more than two active perks per player, having them to discard one when they gain the third.

Also, the perks are too easy to achieve, comparing to Princed cards or even Border Guard aligning requirements.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 20 queries.