Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Author Topic: Card updating contest  (Read 12703 times)

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
Re: Card updating contest
« Reply #75 on: September 20, 2020, 01:35:31 pm »
+3

Thanks for doing this grrgrrgrr, and for the win. Yeah, I think it'll be good to think about changes of some description before we go on. Here are my thoughts to start with:

3 cards to consider each time seems too many; ideas and interest will run out quickly.

I guess when people are used to playing the official cards as they are, it's hard for some to think of changes that wouldn't disrupt the game they're familiar with too much? Overall the design space feels limited.

The WDC by contrast has huge potential for different contests, and so it has a long future to look forward to. There doesn't feel like much of a future with this as it is.

There's a bit more design room and future if we start introducing hypothetical expansion sequels. In fact there was a community set design contest on this forum years back, could some revival of that happen? (I had been thinking, if somebody were to make a shareable app for playing fan cards, just like online, there would have to be a 100% fan card 'base set'; what would that be set be? Community pooling of ideas would be great for it.)

Or if the WDC is so popular do we want to basically run 2 at once?

I'd appreciate any feedback, other suggestions, etc.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3189
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 20, 2020, 02:31:21 pm »
+2

Choose a different mechanism for deciding which cards to update.  I don't think either Explorer or Royal Seal or Sea Hag are poor designs. I wouldn't want any of them changed.

Jonatan Djurachkovitch

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jonis20004
  • Respect: +95
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 20, 2020, 04:09:55 pm »

I think that you could maybe have a series of contests, where the idea is to add a card to an expansion, and then we do one expansion at a time? Winner is judged by balance and how well it fits into the expansion.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 21, 2020, 08:27:04 am »
+2

The WDC has been so successful, an interesting exercise would be revising or expanding the sets using ideas from the WDC.

Aquila

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 21, 2020, 12:21:25 pm »

Choose a different mechanism for deciding which cards to update.  I don't think either Explorer or Royal Seal or Sea Hag are poor designs. I wouldn't want any of them changed.
Here's a passing idea: pick a completely random card to look at for a week, and people can choose either to make a replacement for it (if they think it's bad) or a variant new card (if they think it's already good). I guess looking at 'variant of card X' as a design brief rather than a WDC brief might inspire ideas in different ways? In any case it should help to reveal the good design qualities Donald's put in each of them, and that could generally help improve fan designs.

The WDC has been so successful, an interesting exercise would be revising or expanding the sets using ideas from the WDC.
You mean like a thread that reviews WDC winners and runners-up how they could be best put into the real game, maybe with designed kingdoms? Or discuss playtest findings, possible tweaks, etc?

LordBaphomet

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: LordBaphomet
  • Respect: +161
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 21, 2020, 01:23:05 pm »
+3

I think a "what would you add to x expansion" seems like a good idea. Forces you to go with expansion themes, and say oh this needs big money, this needs player interaction, this needs a VP card, etc.
Hail Satan, hail yourself!

D782802859

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +381
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 21, 2020, 01:56:00 pm »

Definitely an idea that allows and encourages more creative freedom.

Aquila

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 21, 2020, 03:04:22 pm »
+1

Alright. It looks like there are 3 or 4 replies in favour of expanding sets. Then that is what I will go with!

Set expansion contest #1: Base Set

Design a card to add to the base set. I won't specify any categories to patch up, I'll leave that open for you to identify. Just follow the base set rules: easy to understand, add no new mechanics, perhaps introduce players to a certain aspect of the game.
If you want to submit a WDC card, I'm more than happy with that.

Judging time: 28th September 3:00pm forum time
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 03:05:48 pm by Aquila »

D782802859

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +381
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 21, 2020, 03:39:33 pm »

Another way to build an engine and encourage them in the base set.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 21, 2020, 04:26:39 pm »
+1

Another way to build an engine and encourage them in the base set.
That looks weak. If the kingdom doesn't have another draw card, I'm not usually going to be able to reliably play that late enough in the turn that it draws 3 or more cards; if it does, I'll probably buy that rather than Locksmith.

(It looks stronger in a Seaside-heavy set than a Base-heavy one, but even so, not particularly tempting.)
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
  • Respect: +190
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 21, 2020, 04:53:44 pm »
+1

I think that if the contest type is being changed, it should be in a new thread.

Jonatan Djurachkovitch

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jonis20004
  • Respect: +95
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 22, 2020, 12:48:35 am »

Yeah, I have an idea for my card, but I will wait until this is a new thread.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 21 queries.