Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Collecting WDC cards into an expansion  (Read 1692 times)

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1353
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
Collecting WDC cards into an expansion
« on: July 31, 2020, 10:50:30 am »
+1

I guess i've been doing the weekly design contest for about a year now and I collected a lot of my "good" cards/outtakes into an expansion (and then designed some cards to fill in the gaps based on statistics about what "goes into" an expansion). I've modified them a little bit to use fewer mechanics - over all, there's Debt cards (4), Overpay (5), Potion costs (5), Night cards (5), Durations (4), Reveal until ... (4), and then Trinkets (4), an original mechanic from contest 78.

Part of the "thesis" mechanics for this expansion were to explore how the four currencies (buy, debt, coin, and potions) interact with each other / overpay. For the cards with debt + overpay, coins and overpay are exchanged first, then the player takes the debt (otherwise the rules litigious among us would lock themselves out of ever being able to buy the card).

I didn't go for landscape cards for uh reasons. reasons like "i've only designed frustrating, overcomplicated landscape cards" and "I've designed like four of each landscape and don't feel like adding that many more mechanics."

Also debt use is in-line with how it was implemented in Empires - it's always a voluntary affair for the player taking it.

I've tried to keep them succinct to keep the font size up. Also the symbology used is the same as on the shard of honor generator:
@ - debt
^ - potion
$ - coin
% - VP symbol

One of these (Mad Inventor) was made by NoMoreFun, not me.

Trinket • $1* • Treasure
You may pay $1 to return this to its pile.
-
While this is in play, cards cost $1 less.
(This is not in the Supply
This didn't change from contest 78; the image is the first toy lego made (like, actually; it's a photo, not art). There's 30 copies, and it's not in the supply.

Vilayet • @2 • Action
+3 Actions
You may spend any number of Actions (not Action Cards) for +1 Card and +@1 each.
This is a Village variant that can hose you if you want a Smithy instead. It can be used as an inverse peddler. This card hasn't been tested.

Itinerant • @2$4+ • Action
+3 Cards
-
When you buy this you may overpay. If you do, set this aside and at the start of your next turn, play it.
Coin, Debt, and overpay. One of the ideas I wanted to explore was "overpay but different" - you can overpay any amount (or potion) and this triggers. This card hasn't been tested.

Benefactor • @3$5+ • Action
+2 Buys
+$2
-
When you buy this, you may overpay. For each $1 you overpay, each other player gains a Trinket to the top of their deck.
Super-woodcutter that can wreck another player's turn if you go in hard on the overpay, especially in kingdoms that are debt/potion-y.  This card hasn't been tested.

Tempt • @4^ • Action - Night - Attack - Duration
If it's your Night phase, each other player gains a Curse. Otherwise, +$2.

At the start of your next turn, each player (including you) may trash a card from their hand for +1 Card.

Sawmill • @5 • Action
+$4
+1 Buy
Gain a card costing up to $4.
-$1 for each $1 the card you gained cost
This is a riff on Engineer and also kinda Poor House. This hasn't been tested.

Madrigal • $2 • Action
+1 Card
+$1
You may play a Madrigal from your hand.
Awkward cultist-peddler. This is a revised version from contest 45. This has been tested a little. It's not great but it's ok when there's villages.

Capitol • $2^ • Action - Duration
+1 Card
+2 Actions
You may set aside an Action card on this. If you do, at the start of your next turn, +1 Action and play the set aside Action.
Conclave/Village variant. Doesn't stay in play if you don't set an Action card aside. This hasn't been tested. Also really loving the new "night blend" mode on the shardofhonor generator.

Qyteze • $2+^ • Action
+1 Card
+2 Actions
+1 Buy
You may play a Qyteze from your hand.
-
When you buy this, you may overpay. For each ^ you overpay, gain a Qyteze.
Village that can stack better than Villages usually do (and also gain more villages if you go double-potion). You usually want several Villages anyway. This hasn't been tested.

Middleman • $3 • Night
Reveal the top 3 cards of your deck. You may trash any number of them. Discard the rest. If you trashed all 3, gain a Gold. Otherwise, you may gain a Silver.
This is the gold gainer of the set. Kind of a chapel-like. This hasn't been tested.

Tea • $3+ • Treasure
$1
+1 Buy
-
When you buy this, you may overpay. For each $1 you spend, +1 Card when drawing your next hand during Clean-up.
This is changed a little bit since its entry in contest 62. I got rid of the overbuy mechanic. This hasn't been tested in its new form.

Symposium • $3^ • Action
+4 Cards
+1 Action
Discard 3 cards.
The first time you play a Silver this turn, +1 Buy.
This was one of the cards with "breakthrough" in contest 79. It's a pretty competent sifter. Also lives in the "Merchant" slot with the silver powerup.

Indemnify • $4 • Night
Trash a card from your hand. If it cost $1 or more, gain a card costing up to $5@5. Otherwise, gain a Silver.
Each other player gains a copy of the card you gained.
A cheaper, non-terminal Altar with some junking potential. This hasn't been tested. The $5@5 target probably only really applies to this set, although i guess you can gain Engineers with it also.

Bookmaker • $4 • Action
Name a card type. Reveal and discard the top card of your deck. If it's the type you named, +3 Cards and +1 Action. Otherwise, +1 Buy and +$1.
This might be too good. It hasn't been tested.

Pawnbroker • $4 • Action
Trash a card from your hand. Gain a Treasure costing up to $3 more than its cost in coins.
TFB for treasure only. Not great, not terrible. Can trash out multi-currency cards that aren't "good". Worse than Mine, which gains to hand.

Milkman • $4 • Night - Duration
Look at the top card of your deck. You may discard it. At the start of your next turn:
+1 Card
+1 Action
+$1
Peddler that makes for smoothing or spikes. This hasn't been tested. I'd estimate it's like... 15% worse than the theoretical $4 peddler.

Mad Inventor • $4 • Night - Attack
Gain a card costing up to $4. You may gain a Trinket. If you did, each other player gains a Trinket.
NoMoreFun designed this. It's great.

Ikon • $4 • Treasure
If you have an odd number of Ikons in play, +2 Cards. Otherwise, +$2.
You may discard an Action card to gain an Ikon.
This is my entry in contest 82.

Intimidate • $4 • Action - Attack - Reaction
Each other player discards down to 3 cards in hand. You may also do this.
Draw until you have 6 cards in hand.
-
When you discard this other than on your turn, after all other effects are resolved, draw until you have 6 cards in hand.
A militia that reacts to itself. The reaction might need some rephrasing.

Aonbarr • $4^ • Action
+4 Cards
You may trash a card from your hand.
You may return this to its pile for +2 Actions
-
Instead of paying this card's cost, you may pay ^^; If you do, +1 Buy and +$2
This was my entry for contest 75. I really liked it. I changed it a little - it trashes instead of exiles now (i didn't want to try to shoehorn in 4+ other exile cards).

Larder • $5 • Action
+1 Action
Discard a card from your hand. Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal a card with an already revealed type. +$1 per unique type revealed. Put one of the revealed cards in your hand and discard the rest.
This won Contest 77; this feels like a shoe-in for a game that includes Night and Duration cards.

Hoist • $5 • Action - Reaction
+1 Action
Reveal the top 4 cards of your hand. Put any revealed Hoists into your hand. You may discard any other revealed cards, then put the rest back in any order.
-
At the start of Clean-up, you may reveal and discard this from your hand for +1 Card when drawing a new hand.
This was runner up in contest 54.

Viceroy • $5 • Action - Command
If you are playing this from the Supply, +3 Actions.
Otherwise, you may play a non-Duration Action or Night card costing up to $5@5 from the Supply, leaving it there.
This might be underpriced. It hasn't been tested. While it could be a Command card, this has a different way of avoiding the typical command loop.

Stevedore • $5 • Action - Duration
You may gain a Trinket. Until your next turn, the first time each other player gets +Buys, they get +Cards instead.
At the start of your next turn, +1 Buy and cards cost $1 less that turn.
Sort of a Snowy Village/Enchantress attack with the good part of Bridge Troll. This hasn't been tested.

Vista • $5 • Action - Victory
Set this aside to reveal and discard cards from your deck until you reveal a Victory card. Set it aside with this, face up. If this sets aside an ...
... Estate, gain a Vista
... card costing $8 or more, all other players get +1 Card.
-
Worth % equal to the set-aside card(s).
This was in contest 58. It's been tested. It can definitely be a hubris card if you haven't been counting how many victory cards you've got or buy too many Vistas.

Grifter • $5 • Action - Attack
+$2
Each other player may discard a Trinket. If they don't, they gain a Trinket and a Copper
Mountebank variant. This has been tested. It's strong.

Heir • $5+ • Action
You may play an Action card from your hand twice.
-
When you buy this, you may overpay. For each $1 you overpay, discard the top card of your deck and if it's an Action, set it aside and play it at the start of your next turn.
This won contest 59. It's good.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 10:37:57 am by spineflu »

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
Re: Collecting WDC cards into an expansion
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2020, 03:54:06 pm »

anyhow, i'd love feedback on these, if anyone has any thoughts on 'em.

LordBaphomet

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: LordBaphomet
  • Respect: +161
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2020, 11:39:30 pm »

Slap a minus two cost token on viceroy, and bam! Infinite loop with BoM. It needs the command type.
Hail Satan, hail yourself!

alion8me

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: alion8me
  • Respect: +178
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2020, 11:51:06 pm »
+1

Slap a minus two cost token on viceroy, and bam! Infinite loop with BoM. It needs the command type.

BoM is still playing it from the supply, though.

I would still use the Command type on this to future proof it though.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2020, 10:35:43 am »

BoM is still playing it from the supply, though.

I would still use the Command type on this to future proof it though.

yeah that's a good point.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2021, 07:04:51 pm »

i've tossed these onto a weebly site; a couple cards have been updated and i did some art for them
link

mathdude

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +230
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2021, 08:32:33 pm »
+1

Hoist should reveal top 4 cards from your deck, not from your hand.

But in general, it looks like a good mix of variants on existing cards and new ideas. There's a lot of complexity adding potions, debt, overpay, and night, but that's what you wanted. It would be fun to play the cards.
he/him
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 20 queries.