Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: The Story of a Failure  (Read 1693 times)

lonmuygbvcer

• Pawn
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
The Story of a Failure
« on: July 24, 2020, 04:11:00 pm »
+1

a
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 07:06:58 pm by lonmuygbvcer »

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
Re: The Story of a Failure
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2020, 05:16:22 pm »
+1

Humans are not much evolved past animals. Most connections in our brains are hardwired; trained into our ancestors thousands to millions of years ago. Most of our social behavior is tuned to living in small bands of no more than 50 people, and yet today with social media we're cohorts of millions.

You should understand that most of your insecurity comes from the size of population you're in. Being the best at something has similar odds of winning the lottery, and if you expect to win you're in for disappointment.

I have faced this inferiority problem myself, and while I don't think there is an easy cure, I know some things that help. First, cut down on internet usage, especially social media. Next, join more niche communities (<20 people), and seek to be a productive member of them. You may not be the best at Dominion online, but I guarantee you that you can find an IRL gaming group that will be impressed by your skills. It sounds silly, but being a big fish in a small pond does wonders for one's confidence.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12867
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2020, 06:23:56 pm »
+2

I apologize if this comes off as rude or ignorant or you don't feel like it's my place to say this... but doesn't it kind of sound like you just keep quitting various things? For example, you gave up on being a pro musician as a teenager. Well, as a teenager, I sucked at 4 different instruments, wasn't even trying to get good at singing, wrote horrible music, and knew hardly anything about production. From your description, I get the image that perhaps your situation was roughly comparable. Now I'm 25 and I make a considerable side income from being a freelance musician and music producer, and I still have plenty of life expectancy left to turn that into a full-time job at a later point in time if that's what I end up wanting to do. It's not that you couldn't make it as a professional musician. You chose not to.

But it's probably not too late to start choosing differently.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 03:21:18 am by Awaclus »
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

dsc

• Swindler
  • Respect: +9
    • View Profile
    • less.ly
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2020, 12:17:17 am »
+1

Somehow I suspect post edit history is not available on this platform.

Also I have no idea what's going on. (I say this for others who assuredly feel the same way and don't feel like posting.)

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3224
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2020, 02:47:10 am »

Since op chose to delete the message, it seemed right to delete my response, too.

Wizard_Amul

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +217
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2020, 02:30:19 pm »

Since op chose to delete the message, it seemed right to delete my response, too.

Yeah, I just did the same thing.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 20 queries.