Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Multiple reaction  (Read 2041 times)

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
Multiple reaction
« on: July 16, 2020, 11:40:51 pm »

I bought and gained a Mill.
Aki, my left player, has a Falconer in hand.
Sally, my right player, has a Black Cat in hand.
There are only 2 Curses left.

Who can react first?
Aki, or Sally, or I choose which my daughters to win (Aki is going to gain a Black Cat)?

ADD: I think Aki can react first, but maybe, I have to say which effect - gaining a Victory or gaining a multityped card - is to resolve first. Nobody has asked what to do with different types of reaction of the same timing, I guess.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 10:10:00 am by majiponi »

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1706
    • View Profile
Re: Multiple reaction
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2020, 12:02:21 am »
+1

From the Wiki:

Whenever an effect involves more than one player, that effect is resolved in turn order, starting with the player whose turn it is. For example, if someone plays Duchess, they first look at the top card of their own deck and decide what to do with it, then the player to their left, and so on. In practice, most effects (like Duchess's) can be resolved simultaneously, but there are some instances where it would behoove players to slow down and adhere strictly to this rule, such as when certain Attacks are played. For example, when playing Scrying Pool, a player may make a different decision as to whether or not to keep their revealed card if they can see the other players' cards.

By my reading, that means that when you gain the Mill, Aki has the first "right of reply" in terms of reacting, and plays her Falconer. Once she gains the Black Cat, it's still her turn to react to you gaining the Mill, so she can now play the Black Cat from her hand, handing out the last two Curses.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2020, 12:39:19 am »
+2

Yup, that sounds like exactly what was confirmed here. Player to your left gets first chance to react, and if they can react in multiple ways, they continue to get first chance to react until they no longer have anything they want to (or have to) do right then.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Ingix

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Ingix
  • Respect: +424
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2020, 05:34:06 am »
+5

Right. Note that the right to react always starts with/reverts to the active player. That can be important in the above scenario if we assume that Moat is also in the kingdom.

Let's say I (active player) have a Falconer myself in hand, but initially decide not to use it on my Mill gain. As answered, Aki plays her Falconer, gaining a Black Cat. Now the "right to react" returns to me, and now I can decide to play Falconer to gain a Moat to my hand, to protect me from the imminent Black Cat play by Aki.

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1642
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2020, 08:42:42 pm »

From the Wiki:

Whenever an effect involves more than one player, that effect is resolved in turn order, starting with the player whose turn it is. For example, if someone plays Duchess, they first look at the top card of their own deck and decide what to do with it, then the player to their left, and so on. In practice, most effects (like Duchess's) can be resolved simultaneously, but there are some instances where it would behoove players to slow down and adhere strictly to this rule, such as when certain Attacks are played. For example, when playing Scrying Pool, a player may make a different decision as to whether or not to keep their revealed card if they can see the other players' cards.

By my reading, that means that when you gain the Mill, Aki has the first "right of reply" in terms of reacting, and plays her Falconer. Once she gains the Black Cat, it's still her turn to react to you gaining the Mill, so she can now play the Black Cat from her hand, handing out the last two Curses.

That quote does say that things are done in turn order, but otherwise doesn't address Reactions or multiple things for one player to resolve.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25699
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2020, 01:44:25 pm »

If multiple players want to use reactions at the same time, go in turn order, starting with the player whose turn it is (between turns, go by the last player to take a turn).

If a player wants to or has to do multiple things at the same time, they pick an order.

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2020, 10:57:13 pm »

So, even if the reacting reason is different, go in turn order, right?

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25699
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2020, 02:38:43 pm »
+1

So, even if the reacting reason is different, go in turn order, right?
For the same thing happening, yes. If I gain Distant Lands, and one player wants to use Black Cat triggering off of me getting a Victory card, while another wants to use Falconer triggering off of me getting a card with two types, they both trigger off of me getting Distant Lands, so we go in turn order.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 21 queries.