Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Just Some Random Cards: #56 - Crossroads Demon  (Read 9689 times)

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1424
    • View Profile
Re: Just Some Random Cards: #55 - Deed
« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2020, 01:50:11 am »

Half Harems have very limited usefulness. As you rarely want Coppers, you nearly always only this when you want an Estate. The cost reduction is a neat idea, although it does of course not prevent you from trashing Estates (unless it is a Shepherd Kingdom).
But yeah, it can become quite a thing in Garden or Silk Road games.

Rush_Clasic

• Apprentice
  • never knows best
  • Respect: +80
    • View Profile
Re: Just Some Random Cards: #55 - Deed
« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2020, 03:15:03 pm »
+1

#56 - Crossroads Demon

Crossroads Demon - $5
Night
Choose one: Trash a treasure you have in play, gaining one costing up to $3 more than it; or trash a Copper, a Silver, and a Gold you have in play, and if you do, take an extra turn after this one.

You spend your life bargaining for fame and fortune, but when collection time comes, you'd give it all up for just one more day. I've avoided making extra turn mechanics in the past because they're awkward in this game. You don't really want to provide the opportunity to multi-Time Walk, but you don't want to make another awkward Outpost. I started with the trashing a Copper, Silver, and Gold idea because it felt difficult to accomplish, and very difficult to do multiple times. I made it a Night card so you'd get to at least use the treasures. At that point, though, the card still didn't do anything unless you had already assembled all the treasures you needed. That's where the Mine poprtion came in; it also helped that mining after spending the treasures was a neat effect that didn't require me to do the whole "to hand" hack. I like the card. There's probably some crazy way to abuse it, but I think the general case is well controlled.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
Re: Just Some Random Cards: #56 - Crossroads Demon
« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2020, 04:55:35 pm »

It might be too easy to use every single turn... with any type of deck that allows to gain a Copper, Silver, and Gold without buying them; you can keep taking turns until the supply runs out of one of them. Though you'll most likely have won before that happens. Maybe if it just had the "if the previous turn wasn't yours" clause?
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 30, 2020, 04:59:33 pm »

It might be too easy to use every single turn... with any type of deck that allows to gain a Copper, Silver, and Gold without buying them; you can keep taking turns until the supply runs out of one of them. Though you'll most likely have won before that happens. Maybe if it just had the "if the previous turn wasn't yours" clause?

Also, should it be a Duration? At least, Outpost is and stays in play during the extra turn it grants.
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 30, 2020, 05:11:20 pm »

Also, should it be a Duration? At least, Outpost is and stays in play during the extra turn it grants.

As I understand it, Outpost isn't a duration because it grants an extra turn; it is a duration because it affects the cleanup step of the current turn by having you draw only 3 cards.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Rush_Clasic

• Apprentice
  • never knows best
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 30, 2020, 06:59:54 pm »
+1

One of my goals was to make an extra turn taker that didn't require that clause. It might just be that such a thing shouldn't exist in Dominion. But my guess is that using this even twice in a row will be difficult in most kingdoms.

My understanding is that there's no need to keep the card around. Everything it effects happens the turn your play it. As GendoIkari pointed out, Outpost needs to stay in play all the way through your clean-up to effect your hand size. And it probably sticks around as an extra reminder for you additional turn, in case you find another Outpost to play.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 30, 2020, 07:15:59 pm »

One of my goals was to make an extra turn taker that didn't require that clause. It might just be that such a thing shouldn't exist in Dominion. But my guess is that using this even twice in a row will be difficult in most kingdoms.

You might be right; and it could be that any deck where you can guarantee to both draw your deck and gain a Copper, Silver, and a Gold mid-turn, is already close enough to being able to win shortly that it doesn't matter if your ultimate method of winning is to take 8 turns in a row where you buy a Province on each of those turns.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 31, 2020, 12:06:37 am »

The problem of a lack of clause is that a player who can consistently trigger this plays alone once he does. I don’t think that this is fun or any good.

Rush_Clasic

• Apprentice
  • never knows best
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 31, 2020, 11:34:49 am »

The problem of a lack of clause is that a player who can consistently trigger this plays alone once he does. I don’t think that this is fun or any good.

I agree that result is unwanted. If the card proved to do that, I'd probably kill it altogether. If it did it once in a blue moon, I might be fine with it. This game already does ridiculous things (emptying the Provinces on turn one shouldn't be possible, yet it is), so my goal here is for 1 extra turn to be the 97% case, 2 extra turns to be the 2% case, and anything more less than 1%.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 12:03:58 pm by Rush_Clasic »

gambit05

• Minion
  • Respect: +495
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 31, 2020, 02:00:51 pm »

What about restricting further Gold gaining (if that is a problem) by having a clause for the Extra turn(s), e.g.
During your Extra turn, when you (would) gain a Gold, gain an Action card instead.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 01, 2020, 02:49:09 am »

I agree that result is unwanted. If the card proved to do that, I'd probably kill it altogether. If it did it once in a blue moon, I might be fine with it. This game already does ridiculous things (emptying the Provinces on turn one shouldn't be possible, yet it is), so my goal here is for 1 extra turn to be the 97% case, 2 extra turns to be the 2% case, and anything more less than 1%.
Well, you need a Silver gainer and and some thing like Treasure Trove so you are totally right, it is tricky to consistently use this. But if you can, the game becomes a solo game and that simply sucks.

There is a reason no official card creates a path towards quasi player elimination. That is not a feature that Dominion, or any decent modern boardgame in general, wants to have.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 21 queries.