Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Just Some Random Cards: #56 - Crossroads Demon  (Read 9757 times)

Rush_Clasic

• Apprentice
  • never knows best
  • Respect: +80
    • View Profile
Just Some Random Cards: #56 - Crossroads Demon
« on: July 14, 2020, 10:26:43 pm »
+2

Been a while since I posted or designed anything Dominion-oriented. I just got to play the last four or so sets for the first time, so I'm a bit behind the curve. Felt like designing a few things with no real goal in mind. Gonna number them since I already have everything else I've designed saved here on the forums.

#49 - Pit Stop

Pit Stop - $2
Action
+2 Actions
During your Buy phase: +1 Buy per unused Action you have.
At the start of your Buy phase: Convert all of your unused Actions into Buys.

It's fun making cheap Villages, and I've always liked Diadem as a design. This felt like a good, simple way to use that idea. I'll post more in this thread later as I clean them up. EDIT: Changed the wording to detract from TR/KC combos giving an overwhleming number of buys. It's not a huge issue, but this gives enough buys as is; no need to go over the top.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 03:16:00 pm by Rush_Clasic »

Rush_Clasic

• Apprentice
  • never knows best
    • View Profile
Re: Just Some Random Cards
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2020, 01:01:20 pm »

#50 - Refinery

Refinery - $4*
Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
+1 Buy
覧覧
This costs $2 more while being trashed.
This costs $2 less during your buy phase.

There are plenty of ways to alter costs in the game. The primary goal is usually to make things more affordable or occasionally to tax the opponent. But trashing is a unique way to care about costs. Trashers have cared about costs all the way back to the early days of Mine and Remodel, and the tradition continues with Scarp and friends. I wanted a cheap card that benefited you later in trash games but left it up to you to figure out how. I thought about making it just a cantrip, but without trashers, it felt worthless. So I went for Market Square instead. Maybe that bumps it to $3; not sure how we feel about $2-cost cantrip buyers these days.

EDIT: Changed from costing different during trashing to costing different during buying and reversing the costs. While it loses some of the focus that the line "while being trashed" provides, I agree with LastFootnote that it just makes the card cleaner and better overall.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 03:18:44 pm by Rush_Clasic »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2020, 01:06:52 pm »
+1

#50 - Refinery

Refinery - $2*
Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
+1 Buy
覧覧

Wouldn't it be better/easier if it cost $4 and was $2 cheaper during your Buy phase? Most gainers aren't going to care that it costs $2 vs. $4 (Butcher being a notable exception).

alion8me

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: alion8me
  • Respect: +178
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2020, 03:07:15 pm »
+3

Been a while since I posted or designed anything Dominion-oriented. I just got to play the last four or so sets for the first time, so I'm a bit behind the curve. Felt like designing a few things with no real goal in mind. Gonna number them since I already have everything else I've designed saved here on the forums.

#49 - Pit Stop

Pit Stop - $2
Action
+2 Actions

It's fun making cheap Villages, and I've always liked Diadem as a design. This felt like a good, simple way to use that idea. I'll post more in this thread later as I clean them up.

This sounds really dangerous to me. If you play multiple of these in a Kingdom with more +Actions cards you can quickly get to upwards of 20 Buys.

I don't think this is problematic if you only get the effect once, such as with the wording "you may spend unused Actions for +1 Buy per Action".

Rush_Clasic

• Apprentice
  • never knows best
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2020, 03:13:23 pm »

#50 - Refinery

Refinery - $2*
Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
+1 Buy
覧覧

Wouldn't it be better/easier if it cost $4 and was $2 cheaper during your Buy phase? Most gainers aren't going to care that it costs $2 vs. $4 (Butcher being a notable exception).

That makes plenty of sense, accomplishes the same general idea, and is admittedly cleaner. I didn't think of it. Good catch.

#49 - Pit Stop

Pit Stop - $2
Action
+2 Actions

It's fun making cheap Villages, and I've always liked Diadem as a design. This felt like a good, simple way to use that idea. I'll post more in this thread later as I clean them up.

This sounds really dangerous to me. If you play multiple of these in a Kingdom with more +Actions cards you can quickly get to upwards of 20 Buys.

I don't think this is problematic if you only get the effect once, such as with the wording "you may spend unused Actions for +1 Buy per Action".

I don't know how imposing this is. Crazy pile-out combos already exist all over the place. This gives you no economy, so you'd need a ton of villages and cost reducers to really get intense piling. Only testing will tell.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 04:06:47 pm by Rush_Clasic »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2020, 04:42:40 pm »

#50 - Refinery

Refinery - $2*
Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
+1 Buy
覧覧

Not clear on what's special about Butcher here; doesn't the same logic apply to Remodel, Upgrade, Remake, etc? At cost, you can trash a Copper with Remodel to gain a Refinery, at you can't. I still think your idea is a good one; I just think you're forgetting about TFB when you say that most gainers aren't going to care.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1433
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2020, 04:49:02 pm »

#49 - Pit Stop

Pit Stop - $2
Action
+2 Actions

On the contrary, the card is far weaker than Hamlet, Squire or Druid. The only it beats which provides extra Buys is sometimes Pawn.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2020, 08:11:10 pm »

#50 - Refinery

Refinery - $2*
Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
+1 Buy
覧覧

Not clear on what's special about Butcher here; doesn't the same logic apply to Remodel, Upgrade, Remake, etc? At cost, you can trash a Copper with Remodel to gain a Refinery, at you can't. I still think your idea is a good one; I just think you're forgetting about TFB when you say that most gainers aren't going to care.

Good point. I guess I'm just worried about what "while being trashed" actually means, as well as how cost increases interact with cost decreases.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2020, 10:23:26 am »

#50 - Refinery

Refinery - $2*
Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
+1 Buy
覧覧

Good point. I guess I'm just worried about what "while being trashed" actually means, as well as how cost increases interact with cost decreases.

But what was special about Butcher that made you name it as a notable exception to the idea that gainers wouldn't care if it costs or ?
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2020, 02:13:43 pm »
+1

#50 - Refinery

Refinery - $2*
Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
+1 Buy
覧覧

But what was special about Butcher that made you name it as a notable exception to the idea that gainers wouldn't care if it costs or ?

I guess it's because Butcher is very good for turning Estates into good $2 cards and pocketing the 2 Coffers. I mostly do not consider remodeling Coppers with Remodel or Butcher; it's a desperate move that I'll only do if I really care about my Action density (Herald, Scrying Pool) and I don't have any other way to trash them.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2020, 04:50:42 pm »

#50 - Refinery

Refinery - $2*
Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
+1 Buy
覧覧

I guess it's because Butcher is very good for turning Estates into good $2 cards and pocketing the 2 Coffers. I mostly do not consider remodeling Coppers with Remodel or Butcher; it's a desperate move that I'll only do if I really care about my Action density (Herald, Scrying Pool) and I don't have any other way to trash them.

Ah ok.

alion8me

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2020, 05:12:02 pm »
+3

#49 - Pit Stop

Pit Stop - $2
Action
+2 Actions

On the contrary, the card is far weaker than Hamlet, Squire or Druid. The only it beats which provides extra Buys is sometimes Pawn.

I don't think the power level of the card on average is problematic, the high end seems way too crazy for my liking though.

Aside from the extreme end of being able to empty the copper pile in one turn (King's Court, Royal Carriage, and Champion all make this relatively easy to do), this also does silly things with cost reduction. Put a few Highways in play alongside 3 Pit Stops and now you've just bought an entire pile in one turn. I know you can do this in other ways but as far as I am aware there is no other nonterminal that you can play 3 copies of to get a total of +9 Buys, let alone one that costs $2.

I don't think the concept of being able to turn Actions into Buys is problematic, the quadratic scaling just gets out of hand way too quickly when having a ton of +Buys is useful.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2020, 05:26:55 pm »

#49 - Pit Stop

Pit Stop - $2
Action
+2 Actions

I don't think the power level of the card on average is problematic, the high end seems way too crazy for my liking though.

Aside from the extreme end of being able to empty the copper pile in one turn (King's Court, Royal Carriage, and Champion all make this relatively easy to do), this also does silly things with cost reduction. Put a few Highways in play alongside 3 Pit Stops and now you've just bought an entire pile in one turn. I know you can do this in other ways but as far as I am aware there is no other nonterminal that you can play 3 copies of to get a total of +9 Buys, let alone one that costs $2.

I don't think the concept of being able to turn Actions into Buys is problematic, the quadratic scaling just gets out of hand way too quickly when having a ton of +Buys is useful.
They are stop cards and without cost reduction, the marginal benefit of an additional Buy decreases massively.
 So no, there is no craziness. If there is any, it is due to the cost reducers, not due to some very weak Necropolis+.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2020, 05:44:39 pm »

#49 - Pit Stop

Pit Stop - $2
Action
+2 Actions

They are stop cards and without cost reduction, the marginal benefit of an additional Buy decreases massively.
 So no, there is no craziness. If there is any, it is due to the cost reducers, not due to some very weak Necropolis+.

Playing nothing at all buy KC+Pit Stop gives you 18 buys. From just 2 cards. It's far too close to "in games using this; there is no buy limit".

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2020, 05:49:11 pm »

#49 - Pit Stop

Pit Stop - $2
Action
+2 Actions

Aside from concerns about it being too crazy; it has a wording issue... I guess you mean "At the start of your buy phase" instead of "during your buy phase". But you can't really have something that happens "during" a phase; it has to be one specific time.

Rush_Clasic

• Apprentice
  • never knows best
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2020, 06:35:18 pm »

This is one of the problems with elegance in design: a simple idea with simple wording often has too much open-endedness and allows for crazy things to happen. At the end of the day, it could probably just be "+2 Actions, +1 Buy" which is even more elegant but functions nicely. It's just a lot less exciting. I'm open to suggestions on how best to alter it. Maybe "At the start of your Buy phase, if you have 2 or more unused Actions, +2 Buys." Or maybe it should just stay as is. Anywho....

#51 - Tiddlywinks

Tiddlywinks - $5
Treasure
$2
Reveal the top card of your deck. If it痴 a Copper, play it. Otherwise, discard it or leave it on top.

You flick the top card and if you're skilled enough (or lucky enough), you get a prize! I was working on a nuttier idea that allowed you to always play Coppers from the top of your deck when I thought about the $5 Gold cards that get printed from time to time. Originally it was just gonna do the Copper thing, but you already need to mess with the top of your deck for it to work; might as well throw in a little Spy action.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 06:39:59 pm by Rush_Clasic »

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2020, 12:20:40 am »

#49 - Pit Stop

Pit Stop - $2
Action
+2 Actions

Playing nothing at all buy KC+Pit Stop gives you 18 buys. From just 2 cards. It's far too close to "in games using this; there is no buy limit".
Does the craziness come from Pit Stop or KC? And in how many Kingdoms with Pit Stop and KC are 18 Buys worth significantly more than 3 or 4?

alion8me

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2020, 03:15:16 am »
+2

#49 - Pit Stop

Pit Stop - $2
Action
+2 Actions

Does the craziness come from Pit Stop or KC? And in how many Kingdoms with Pit Stop and KC are 18 Buys worth significantly more than 3 or 4?

I think the craziness comes from Pit Stop - I would argue there's no other card that comes close to giving you as many +Buys off of KC. A +Buy'd Squire or Sir Martin only gives half that amount, and that's a somewhat difficult case to trigger (Teacher is required in the case of Squire, and you have to either grab Sir Martin specifically with Seaway or use a cost reducer if not using Teacher), in comparison to Pit Stop which needs no such token to already provide twice as much.

+18 Buys isn't often useful, but in the situations you do want it Pit Stop makes it way too easy to obtain.

The bottom line for me is that changing Pit Stop to not stack wouldn't appreciably change the power level of the card on average but prevents it from being completely insane when it's good.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
Re: Just Some Random Cards: #51 - Tiddlywinks
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2020, 07:26:16 am »

I do not see the insanity. The extra Buys are only useful with cost reduction. Furthermore you need KC, which makes all engines so much better, or you need draw power to actually draw into stop cards that do nothing beyond producing Buys.
I壇 rather KC a cantrip that provides Buys like Market Square as it net draws a card and net yields two Actions. Seem like a much smoother engine component. Seriously, this matters, nobody loves KCing stuff that does not draw. Even with cost reduction, it only matters for the last turn whether you can buy 5 or 15 cards.

So we need Pit Stop and Highway plus draw power to make Pit Stop stop being a below average power $2. Does not seem to compensate how weak it is in the quadrillion of other Kingdoms. Instead of worrying about the card being overpowered in rare situations, I rather worry about it being to weak in most Kingdoms.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 07:31:41 am by segura »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2020, 10:01:35 am »

A +Buy'd Squire or Sir Martin only gives half that amount, and that's a somewhat difficult case to trigger (Teacher is required in the case of Squire, and you have to either grab Sir Martin specifically with Seaway or use a cost reducer if not using Teacher)

Wait, you can use Seaway with Squire, right?

Anyway, I wouldn't even be including the +buy token for comparison here, because if you did, you could also consider having the +buy token on Pit Stop. So I would say that KC+Any card can give at most 6 extra buys; while KC+Pit Stop gives 18.

Rush_Clasic

• Apprentice
  • never knows best
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2020, 01:34:23 pm »

The bottom line for me is that changing Pit Stop to not stack wouldn't appreciably change the power level of the card on average but prevents it from being completely insane when it's good.

TR/KC interactions are just something I forgot about, wording-wise. I don't know if there is accepted language for this, but I'm trying "Convert all your unused Actions into Buys." Convert is a simple enough word that clearly shows a process of change.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2020, 01:37:09 pm »
+1

TR/KC interactions are just something I forgot about, wording-wise. I don't know if there is accepted language for this, but I'm trying "Convert all your unused Actions into Buys." Convert is a simple enough word that clearly shows a process of change.

The standard way to prevent something from being crazy with KC/TR is to put the effect under-the-line as a "while this is in play" instead of an on-play effect.

In this case you could do something like "while this is in play, you can buy a card by spending an unused action instead of spending a buy". It seems weird, but I think it's clear.

Rush_Clasic

• Apprentice
  • never knows best
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2020, 09:44:02 pm »

#52 - Prospector

Prospector - $2
Action
Reveal the top card of your deck. If it costs $2, discard it. Otherwise, draw it. Repeat until you've drawn 2 cards.
Reveal the top card of your deck. If it costs $2, set it aside. Otherwise, draw it. Repeat until you've drawn 2 cards, then discard the set aside cards.

Who has time to waste on estates? Who wants to deal with other folks digging after similar fortunes? Not a prospector! I wanted a card that played around in that Library area of skipping things it couldn't use. Making a cheap, terminal draw that skipped itself and your worst starting card seemed like a nice fit. Sure, terminal draw 2s tend to be weak, but it has some uses. And it's too nice the way it is to muddy it with superfluous extras. (Though I did consider an on-gain effect that allowed you to gain a different $2 cost card. Because gaining estates is fun, ya?)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 01:33:45 am by Rush_Clasic »

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2020, 06:02:06 am »

#52 - Prospector

Prospector - $2
Action
Reveal the top card of your deck. If it costs $2, discard it. Otherwise, draw it. Repeat until you've drawn 2 cards.

Who has time to waste on estates? Who wants to deal with other folks digging after similar fortunes? Not a prospector! I wanted a card that played around in that Library area of skipping things it couldn't use. Making a cheap, terminal draw that skipped itself and your worst starting card seemed like a nice fit. Sure, terminal draw 2s tend to be weak, but it has some uses. And it's too nice the way it is to muddy it with superfluous extras. (Though I did consider an on-gain effect that allowed you to gain a different $2 cost card. Because gaining estates is fun, ya?)
I don稚 get this. Skipping Estates is nice but skipping Prospectors sucks and the average deck that uses Prospectors in an average Kingdom has slightly more Prospectors and other non-junk $2s than Estates.

So this is a bit worse than +2 Cards.

Rush_Clasic

• Apprentice
  • never knows best
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2020, 04:46:57 pm »
+1

#52 - Prospector

Prospector - $2
Action

I don稚 get this. Skipping Estates is nice but skipping Prospectors sucks and the average deck that uses Prospectors in an average Kingdom has slightly more Prospectors and other non-junk $2s than Estates.

So this is a bit worse than +2 Cards.

I disagree. Skipping Estates is a big boon, but skipping other $2s can be fine if your deck has the right big things to hunt down, or if you just need less terminal collision. I definitely think it's not just worse than +2 Cards.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 21 queries.