Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Can you win this turn 6 (Cornucopia)  (Read 2180 times)

Snyables

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +16
    • View Profile
Can you win this turn 6 (Cornucopia)
« on: July 07, 2020, 09:05:46 am »
+2

You have been playing a game using the cards from Cornucopia with one opponent. You have managed to get your deck to a fairly smooth engine, but your opponent has bought a lot of Provinces. After playing some cards this turn, your Hunting Party has revealed two Fairgrounds, a Farming Village, and a Fortune Teller. You will draw the Fortune Teller and discard the rest into your (currently) empty discard pile. It looks like you have a lot of possibilities, but you are very far behind on points. Can you win this turn?

(Full resolution image here: https://i.imgur.com/3fYIhAR.jpg)

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
Re: Can you win this turn 6 (Cornucopia)
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2020, 11:57:15 am »

I don't think it matters, but does your opponent reveal a Province when you play Tournament?
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2020, 03:01:33 pm »

Before I try the puzzle, here are my deductions about the game state:
The two cards left in your deck must be Remake (the only trasher) and Copper

From this we can determine your deck composition (and points) and your opponent's.
Your deck composition is:
1 Copper, 1 Gold, 1 Province, 1 Tournament, 3 Hunting Parties, 1 Jester, 1 Horn of Plenty, 3 Fairgrounds, 2 Hamlets, 3 Menageries, 1 Fortune Teller, 1 Remake, 2 Farming Villages, which is 13 uniques for Fairgrounds. Your point total is 18, but will increase by 6 by adding 2 uniques.

Your opponent's deck composition is:
7 Coppers, 2 Silvers, 4 Golds, 3 Estates, 2 Duchies, 5 Provinces, 3 Curses, 3 Tournaments, 2 Jesters, 2 Horns of Plenty, 2 Fairgrounds, 8 Hamlets, 7 Menageries, 5 Farming Villages, which is 14 uniques for Fairgrounds. Your opponent's point total is 44.

You need at least 27 more points to win.
Hydrogen Helium Lithium Beryllium Boron Carbon Nitrogen Oxygen Fluorine Neon Sodium

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2020, 03:43:57 pm »
+1

My solution (win by 3):

Play Tournament, gaining a Trusty Steed. We will assume your opponent reveals Province.
Play Menagerie for +3 Cards (you have exactly three cards in your deck before this: a Remake, a Copper, and a Trusty Steed).
Play a Farming Village, drawing the only remaining non-Victory card in your discard (another Farming Village).
Play Remake, trashing a Farming Village for a Duchy, and a Hunting Party for a Fairgrounds.
Play Hamlet (drawing some Victory card, either Fairgrounds or Duchy). Discard the Fairgrounds already in your hand, and the other Victory card, for both bonuses.
Play Trusty Steed for +Actions, Gain Silvers (your Fairgrounds are now Provinces bc of Silver+Duchy adding to uniques count)
Play Fortune Teller, followed by Jester, to guarantee Curse for your opponent (and also +$4 for you).
- Technically you don't need to give your opponent the Curse. You will still win. But you might as well.
End Actions. Play HoP for Fairgrounds (your Fairgrounds are now 4 points again, but this will be dealt with)
Play Gold and Copper. You have $8 and 2 buys. Buy last Fairgrounds + Estate (Fairgrounds 6 points again).
Game ends on Hamlet, Menagerie, Fairgrounds
Final score: 6 Fairgrounds (6VP each), 1 Duchy, 1 Province, 1 Estate = 46 VP.
Opponent's score: 2 Fairgrounds (4 VP each), 5 Provinces, 2 Duchies, 3 Estates, 4 Curses = 43 VP
« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 03:45:22 pm by hhelibebcnofnena »
Hydrogen Helium Lithium Beryllium Boron Carbon Nitrogen Oxygen Fluorine Neon Sodium

Snyables

• Chancellor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2020, 05:26:12 am »

Chris is me: We will need to play the turn assuming that the opponent does have a Province in their hand. However, they could choose to not reveal it. Be mindful that you solution does not require that they do or do not reveal a Province.  ;D

hhelibebcnofnena : Your deductions are correct, and you have found a good solution! There is (at least) one more, if you or anyone else would like to try to find it.

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2020, 12:43:28 pm »

hhelibebcnofnena : Your deductions are correct, and you have found a good solution! There is (at least) one more, if you or anyone else would like to try to find it.

Before I even considered Trusty Steed, I played around with solutions involving Followers, Princess, and Diadem (though I only considered the last one briefly). My guess is that there could be a solution involving one of the other two.

Snyables

• Chancellor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2020, 01:59:24 am »

Alternative Solution:

Play Menagerie, since all cards in hand are unique, we draw three cards:Remake, Copper, and (either Farming Village or Fairgrounds)

Case 1: Fairgrounds
Play Tournament, discard Province and gain Princess (14 unique cards). We will assume that opponent reveals a Province as well, but if they don't we can simply draw an extra card and gain an extra 1 coin.
Play Hamlet (draw either Fairgrounds or Farming Village), discard two Fairgrounds for +1 action and +1 buy.
Play Hunting Grounds (draw the other card, either Fairgrounds or Farming Village) and reveal until the only card in your discard pile which you do not already have in hand, Province.
Play Remake, trashing Jester and Farming Village to gain Fairgrounds and Horn of Plenty (13 unique cards).
Play Farming Village, draw the Horn of Plenty.
Play Fortune teller +2 coins.
Play Princess, +1 buy.
Play Gold, Copper, Horn of Plenty, Horn of Plenty (Trash both to gain 2 Provinces, game end triggers, 12 unique cards).
You have 3 buys, 6 coin, and everything costs 2 less.
Buy Dutchy, Estate, and Silver (15 unique cards).
You now have 3 Provinces (18 VP), Dutchy (3 VP), Estate (1 VP), 4 Fairgrouds (24 VP) = 46 VP. Opponent has 43 VP, you win.

Case 2: Farming Village
This is played as above, but the top two cards of your deck which you draw with Hamlet and Hunting Party are both Fairgrounds.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 20 queries.