Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 70  All

Author Topic: M129: Marvel Mafia 2 (GAME OVER)  (Read 190487 times)

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
Re: M129: Marvel Mafia 2 (Day 1)
« Reply #200 on: July 23, 2020, 04:34:24 pm »

My heart desires a lot of things... reading through a bunch of old games on my vacation day is not exactly one of them... ;)

I will say your posts do seem in character for you from other non mafia posts I've read, so there's that, which feels towny.

I am trying to hone in on some non RVS D1 vote, but while I have some ideas, it's still at my usual elusive D1 distance...
Could you explain why emulating my offtopic posting closely would make me town in your view?

Honestly, it's a small thing, but as I've never played with you, I'm trying to just find something to get any kind of bearing. Are you saying it's wrong?

I hear everyone on D1 - clearly it's something I need to get better at. Not sure it's going to happen this game, though.

I would be of the opinion it's wrong.  Playing mafia is different from using English to discuss stuff, but when you roll scum you win if you play as little mafia as possible, so the more someone feels like an out of game players the more likely they are to be scum.   I try to be pretty conversational as both alignments just because mafia is more fun that way (?) People win more if they're having fun rationalize (?) So anyway mostly I would place very small weight on it, but if I had to pick a direction, I would say seeming conversational is scum indicative.

Man, you're hurting my head... so the reasons I would give you some town cred are really reasons I should think you're scum. Which why would you say that, if you were scum.

I don't know, I'm leaving this thread for a little and going to join in with joth.

Vote: galz

Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: July 23, 2020, 04:41:49 pm »

Why should we join you?

I'm so glad you asked!

Because I am getting scum vibes off Galzria. Specifically, this post:

Well uh I think that's actually like x-1 what the hell

Unvote

Oh spare me the faux panicky unvoting when there's little real danger we'd exile MiX.

But also, this.

vote: Chairs

Robz - why did you make this post but not vote for Chairs?

Ok, now I'm having a hard time articulating why this is scummy. Basically, I think it's scummy to jump on someone else's case and then sort of softly egg that person on to back it up with a vote. Like he's impatient to get a wagon going.

I don't agree, I think the question was fine.

I do think Galz is behaving quite like he did last game as scum, mostly in terms of relatively being lurky, but it's kind of early to say so for sure.

And then we're getting into WIFOM territory, but doesn't scum!Galz switch it up and go for overactivity here?
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

SpaceAnemone

• Thief
  • Shuffle iT Username: SpaceAnemone
  • Correct Horse Battery Staple
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: July 23, 2020, 05:10:18 pm »

D1 is the best day for the totally opposite reasons you're spouting chairs, it has the most complex dayplay, it's analagous to a chess midgame

This is helpful. I suck at chess and D1.

Hmm.. I fail to see the link between this and chess. Unless you have a version of chess where paying attention to your opponent's shoelaces or the weather outside has as much bearing on the game state as the pieces on the board, and where nobody's going to tell you what extra details were in any way important until later.
Congratulations! Your SpaceAnemone evolved into UniverseAnemone!
Town games: M84(L), M85(W), M86(L), M87(W), M88(L), M90(L), M92(W), M94(L), M97(L), M99(W), M100(L), M104(W), M107(W), M110(L), M112(L), RMM37(L), RMM40(D), RMM41(L), RMM43(L), RMM47(W), ZM23(W).
Scum games: M89(D), M108(L), NM8(W&MVP), NM10(L)   Mod: NM9, RMM38, RMM42.   Pronouns: they/them

SpaceAnemone

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: July 23, 2020, 05:15:31 pm »

I do think Galz is behaving quite like he did last game as scum, mostly in terms of relatively being lurky, but it's kind of early to say so for sure.

And then we're getting into WIFOM territory, but doesn't scum!Galz switch it up and go for overactivity here?

Isn't that part of the point Joth was bringing up at #189?

This game is a great example of how well scum can do when they are all (mostly) active.

I mean, Scum should generally do well when active. I have notes in my QT where I talked about intentionally being less active to lean into an older established meta of mine - dictated by the group we were playing with. If the game were largely the “newer” (to me, since returning for M100) crowd, I think I would’ve played more forward and “in control”. I certainly find it WAY easier to be active scum than inactive scum - I hate feeling a loss of game control.

Also, this is an important quote from Galzria in the aftermath of the game we just finished, where he was scum. Do you think Galz is being active, forward, and in control this game?

I mean, I guess I could read it as Joth expecting Galz to play exactly as he's just advertized that he would, but I feel like as soon as someone thinks they have a handle on their scum play, they're going to try not to do exaclty what they just said they'd do, as either alignment.
Town games: M84(L), M85(W), M86(L), M87(W), M88(L), M90(L), M92(W), M94(L), M97(L), M99(W), M100(L), M104(W), M107(W), M110(L), M112(L), RMM37(L), RMM40(D), RMM41(L), RMM43(L), RMM47(W), ZM23(W).
Scum games: M89(D), M108(L), NM8(W&MVP), NM10(L)   Mod: NM9, RMM38, RMM42.   Pronouns: they/them

SpaceAnemone

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: July 23, 2020, 05:17:00 pm »

pls feel scumread in a feminine way

I can't even begin to start trying to address this post.

@MiX, just in case you're missing it, I think Pops is trying to point out to you that you were misgendering her.

SpaceAnemone

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: July 23, 2020, 05:20:03 pm »

Space what's your pronouns I don't remember

I know you followed this post up with a note that you'd found them, but in case anyone else would like a reminder, I'm they/them by preference, or she/her for people who can't deal with that. "Default he" will sometimes get a pretty cranky response.

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: July 23, 2020, 05:21:34 pm »

It's 2020, everyone can deal with the singular they.  8)
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

MiX

• Navigator
  • Shuffle iT Username: MiX
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: July 23, 2020, 05:22:51 pm »

That gets really confusing really fast, especially with people that are they by themselves.

Space what's your pronouns I don't remember

I know you followed this post up with a note that you'd found them, but in case anyone else would like a reminder, I'm they/them by preference, or she/her for people who can't deal with that. "Default he" will sometimes get a pretty cranky response.

Thank you, I forgot.

SpaceAnemone

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: July 23, 2020, 05:24:12 pm »

Space is for sure funny! It’s  a dry observational humor mixed with genuine charm.

I sign every word. Space, I love your humor

Hrrrrm.. I remain sceptical about humor and humour.

What did you think of my accompanying vote? Are you voting for anyone yet?

In other news, I haven't yet instantiated my vote counter for this game.

SpaceAnemone

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: July 23, 2020, 05:32:47 pm »

If only! I'm closely related to at least one person who doesn't deal at all well, and I've never had the confidence to try to use it in a professional context :-(

As for online use, I do find I get a bit unreasonably frustrated at being called "he", so I try to bias people so they fall down on the side of the gender binary I'm more used to IRL, if they're going to gender me anyway.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: July 23, 2020, 05:35:55 pm »

D1 is the best day for the totally opposite reasons you're spouting chairs, it has the most complex dayplay, it's analagous to a chess midgame

This is helpful. I suck at chess and D1.

Hmm.. I fail to see the link between this and chess. Unless you have a version of chess where paying attention to your opponent's shoelaces or the weather outside has as much bearing on the game state as the pieces on the board, and where nobody's going to tell you what extra details were in any way important until later.
If you're one of those "no one ever plays better than random at mafia" misanthropes I need to reload my day gun

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 23, 2020, 05:43:42 pm »

I think I remember Galzria being lurky as town but having some townish flavor when they did come around.  I kind of have a bad watched-pot-won't-boil-right-vibe about the punishment initiative, seems like the sort that will become sort of harder to sort if you get out of sorts

Swowl

• Pawn
  • Shuffle iT Username: Swowl
  • Snow.Owl.Duh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 23, 2020, 06:15:41 pm »

Why should we join you?

I'm so glad you asked!

Because I am getting scum vibes off Galzria. Specifically, this post:

Well uh I think that's actually like x-1 what the hell

Unvote

Oh spare me the faux panicky unvoting when there's little real danger we'd exile MiX.

But also, this.

vote: Chairs

Robz - why did you make this post but not vote for Chairs?

Ok, now I'm having a hard time articulating why this is scummy. Basically, I think it's scummy to jump on someone else's case and then sort of softly egg that person on to back it up with a vote. Like he's impatient to get a wagon going.

are you saying that galz is not being lurky in this game?
Jesus how did i fuck that up
real good. That’s how
Town:  14 wins, 14 losses (1 MVP)
Skum: 7 wins, 7 losses (1 MVP)
3-Party: 4 wins, 1 loss

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 23, 2020, 06:24:24 pm »

weirdly, he's lurking but when he checked in he was very forceful. so... idk what I mean.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 23, 2020, 06:31:45 pm »

weirdly, he's lurking but when he checked in he was very forceful. so... idk what I mean.
TELL ME WHY I PICKED SHUDDERWOCK WHEN I KNOW IN MY HEART IT'S WRONG

Swowl

• Pawn
  • Shuffle iT Username: Swowl
  • Snow.Owl.Duh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 23, 2020, 06:33:06 pm »

TELL ME WHY I PICKED SHUDDERWOCK WHEN I KNOW IN MY HEART IT'S WRONG

for pogos obv
Jesus how did i fuck that up
real good. That’s how
Town:  14 wins, 14 losses (1 MVP)
Skum: 7 wins, 7 losses (1 MVP)
3-Party: 4 wins, 1 loss

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: July 23, 2020, 06:55:32 pm »

My first pogo was offered on the turn I knew it was impossible to survive another round, no matter what I refreshed into in that tier, I was so behind.  It was a cruel joke.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: July 23, 2020, 06:55:50 pm »

why did you answer for joth, are you scum with him?

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: July 23, 2020, 07:02:40 pm »

I have no idea what you guys are talking about. Is this the new generation of Pokemon?

He/him

MiX

• Navigator
  • Shuffle iT Username: MiX
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: July 23, 2020, 07:04:12 pm »

I have no idea what you guys are talking about. Is this the new generation of Pokemon?

It's hearthstone, I think. And is pops drunk again? Why did she ask you?

It looks like a joke but for me that cements both of you as scum partners.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: July 23, 2020, 07:14:32 pm »

I asked jotheonah whether I should pick Eudora or Shudderwock in the Zombie Anthropologist QT.  He said Shudderwock.  I told him I wouldn't do that because it was obviously silly but for some reason when the timer ticked down to one I picked the fun but ineffective Shudderwock.

The QT window was close, so I visited the thread to express my outrage about losing 75 elo points.

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: July 23, 2020, 07:17:35 pm »

You know what, I'm switching my vote:

Vote: popsofctown

She went from indignation at setup talk, without really offering an alternative - except general discussion of D1 importance. And now hearthstone (?). Add in that the weird WIFOM back and forth with me...

Meanwhile I'll still keep my eyes on Galz' lurking / aggressiveness (though of course, it feels like this will suffer from the Observer Effect).
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

EFHW

• Spy
  • Shuffle iT Username: EFHW
  • EFHW="ee-foo". Really, how else would you say it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: July 23, 2020, 07:25:53 pm »

vote: Pops. Constant refs to other game.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: July 23, 2020, 07:47:58 pm »

Lol

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: July 23, 2020, 07:56:39 pm »

Scolapasta, fluffposting when someone hasn't contributed to the thread is theoretically scum indicative (in application I hardly ever see it) based on the theory that they are substituting neutral content for content that would inherently expose their alignment.  But that theory doesn't work when fluffposting is additive, which apparently is what the camel backstraw was here.  Like, what is my incentive if I were scum to post about getting wrecked as jabberwock?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 70  All

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 20 queries.