Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 70 [All]

Author Topic: M129: Marvel Mafia 2 (GAME OVER)  (Read 24203 times)

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
    • View Profile
M129: Marvel Mafia 2 (GAME OVER)
« on: July 06, 2020, 03:02:23 pm »

Avengers Assemble!

Welcome to M129: Marvel Mafia 2

This game is for 13 players, and is classified as normal. It uses open setup called Haunted Village. See post #2

Comod: Position Open

Players:

1. Swowl Killed N5. Ant-Man
2. Dylan32 Exiled D3. Scarlet Witch.
3. EFHW Exiled D6. Bystander
4. MiX Exiled D4. Bystander
5. Scolapasta
6. Robz888 Exiled D2. Ultron.
7. SpaceAnemone Killed N2. Thanos.
8. chairs Killed N3. Iron Man.
9. LaLight faust
10. jotheonah Exiled D1. Bystander.
11. WestCoastDidds Killed N1. Groot.
12. Isis Killed N2. Dr. Strange
13. Galzria Killed N4. Bystander

Tags:

The Rules:

The Golden Rule:
This is a game. Everyone who signs up to play must be considerate of each other, never get personal, and focus on having fun. Once the game starts, having signed up is a commitment: inactivity is just as inconsiderate as rude comments.

The Standard Rules:
1. No communication between players outside of the game thread or shared QTs at any time. This includes passing references, jokes, or cases in other games or threads, whether in context or not.
2. If the game thread is locked, do not post. If you are unsure if something is locked, ask the mod by PM.
3. Direct or verbatim quoting of mod-provided information (including QT opening and closing times) is strictly forbidden. Paraphrasing is okay.
4. Actions with instructions that do not specify a game state will be resolved in the order they are received.
5. All night actions must be submitted within 36 hours of day ending.
6. Players must post once every 24 hours.
7. Do not edit or delete posts, ever. If you need to clarify or correct something, post again.
8. Invisible text, font size less than 10, and spoiler tags are not allowed.
9. Cryptography is not allowed.
10. The time between an exile being reached and a flip being provided is called twilight. All players may continue posting during this time, including the exiled player.
11. Dead players may not post in thread or QT, except their Role QT. An exiled player is not "dead" until a flip has been provided.
12. Personal multimedia, such as video or audio recordings, are not allowed in the game thread.

The Voting Rules:
1. Votes should be in this format: Vote: Playername. Unambigiuous nicknames are acceptable, or any string that uniquely identifies a user. Note that the point of voting is, in fact, unambiguity, and attempting to make it unclear to other players (or, of course, mods) which user you are voting for is very ill-advised.
2. Unvotes should be in this format:
unvote or Unvote: Playername.
3. Unvotes are not required if changing your vote from one player to another.
4. You may
vote: no exile.
5. Exiles occur when a simple majority (rounded up) of living players is reached. Once reached, an exile cannot be undone.
6. If a majority lynch is not reached by the Day's deadline, no lynch occurs.

The Rest:
1. Bold, limegreen text is reserved for the mod. Players may not use it.
2. If you have an issue or problem with the game, please PM the Mod. Do not post complaints in the game thread.
3. Mods make mistakes - please point them out gently. If they can be corrected, they will. If irreversible, they will stand as final to be commiserated over after the game.
4. If a mod error disadvantages one faction greatly, the game may be called off.
5. Ask all questions and make all requests directly to the Mod via PM. Questions deemed as "universal" (defined as questions for which the answers should be available to all players) will be requested to be re-posted in the Game Thread and answered there.
6. Players may request prods on other players if they have not posted in 24 hours. Players are subject to replacement or modkill after one prod.
7. All rule violations will be dealt with according to their severity, as determined by the mod.
8. Each player will receive their own QT, regardless of role. Don't quote from it.
9. If the game goes on for 3 days and 3 nights without a lynch or nightkill, town wins.

Deadlines:
1. Days will last seven IRL days.
2. Nights will last between 36 and 48 hours.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 11:03:18 am by mail-mi »
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
Re: M129: Marvel Mafia 2
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2020, 03:02:30 pm »

This game will use the setup Haunted Village, with changes adjusted for Marvel flavor. Here is how it works:

Heroes (10 total) chosen from:
- Bystanders
- Dr. Strange (3 points) (cop)
- Iron Man (2 points) (JOAT: cop, vig, track)
- Hulk (3 points) (vig)
- Scarlet Witch (1 point) (rolestopper)
- Groot (2 points) (doctor)
- Captain America (2 points) (improved day/night vengeful)
- Ant-Man (1 point) (non-consecutive commuter)

and Villians (3 total) chosen from:
- Minions
- Hela (2 points) (roleblocker)
- Zemo (2 points) (enrager)
- Mysterio (2 points) (framer)
- Red Skull (2 points) (delayed prince)
- Thanos  (2 points) (non-consecutive strongman)
- Loki (3 points) (godfather)
- Ultron (1 point) (rolecop)

1. Town in this game are known as Heroes. Mafia are known as Villians. Vanilla Townies are known as Bystanders. Mafia goons are known as Minions.
2. The Heroes start with between 5-9 ascension points. The Villians start with the same number minus 3.
3. The Heroes are then randomly assigned roles whose combined worth equals their ascension points. The chance for each role to appear is the following:
  a. Dr. Strange: 25%
  b. Iron Man: 20%
  c. Hulk: 15%
  d. Scarlet Witch: 10%
  e. Groot: 10%
  f. Captain America: 10%
  g. Ant-Man: 10%
4. The Villians are told which hero roles are in the game and have 24 hours to pick their own powers from their pool (no duplicates allowed). If they fail, the moderator will randomly assign them powers based on what village roles exist (i.e. no Thanos if its strong kill can't be utilised).
5. The game begins when all roles are distributed and confirmed.
6. The villian roles in the game are then publicly announced on Day 1 by the moderator.

Sample setup
1. Hero points = rand(5-9) = 8. Villian points = 8-3 = 5.
2. Hero roles: {3} -> Dr. Strange (3/8); {18} -> Dr. Strange (6/8); {99} -> Ant-Man (7/8); {68*} -> Scarlet Witch (8/8)
*repeat random until a 1-point role is drawn
3. The Villians are told there are Dr. Strange, Ant-Man, and Scarlet Witch. They pick Hela, Mysterio, and Ultron.
4. Final setup: Dr. Strange x2, Scarlet Witch, Antman, 6 Bystanders, Hela, Mysterio, Ultron

Unique role abilities and interactions

Dr. Strange
See the Future: Target a player and learn their alignment. Loki returns favorable (innocent) result; Mysterio's target returns unfavourable (guilty) result

Iron Man
Iron Man is a Jack of all trades with the following abilities. He may use each one once per game, and he can only use one per night.
Ask Jarvis: Target a player and learn their alignment. Loki returns a favorable (innocent) result, Mysterio's target returns an unfavorable (guilty) result.
I am Iron Man: Target a player. That player will be killed.
Activate Tracking Satalite: Target a player. You will learn what players that player targeted that night.
Note: If Iron Man's actions are blocked in any way, they will not be used up.

Hulk
SMASH!: Target a player. That player will be killed. This kill is blocked by Scarlet Witch's Mind Warp.

Scarlet Witch
Mind Warp: Protects the targets from all non-factional-kill abilities. In addition, if she targets Red Skull, and he had been exiled, he will not return the next day.

Groot
We are Groot: Target a player, that player will be protected from any non-strongman kills.

Captain America
I can do this all day: When Captain America dies or is exiled, he may target someone for a kill. If they are a Villian or framed by Mysterio, they will die (Loki will not die).

Ant-Man
Shrink: Ant-Man can shrink and become immune to all direct night actions except strong kills. After shrinking, Ant-man must wait one full night before he can become small again

Hela
Break the Hammer: Target a player. Any non-strong actions they take that night will be blocked.

Zemo
Enrage: Target a player to kill their killers if they die. Both the enraging and the reactive kill can be blocked by Scarlet Witch's Mind Warp

Mysterio
Illusion: Target another player, they will investigate as "guilty" to Dr. Strange and Iron Man that night. Additionally, they will be vulnerable to Captain America's vengekill that night and the next day.

Red Skull
Guard the Soul Stone (reactive): If exiled, Red Skull will return on the next dawn, but only if another Villian is alive. He will be slain for good if killed in any way other than exile. If dead and awaiting return, Red Skull cannot be put to rest by normal means. Will not return if doing so will endgame the remaining players.

Thanos
Snap: If Thanos performs the Villian kill, he can instead choose to use the Infinity Gauntlet. The Snap kills through shrinking and healing, but it is blocked by Scarlet Witch's Mind Warp. If Thanos Snaps, he must wait one full night before he can Snap again.

Loki
Whose side are you on, anyway?: Loki investigates favorably (innocent) to Cops and cannot be killed by Captain America's vengekill.

Ultron
Invade the Internet: Target a player. Ultron will be told their role.

Other mechanics
1. The Villians have daytalk; if Red Skull isn't permanently slain, can still communicate privately even if "dead"
2. The Villian who performs the kill can also use their other powers on the same night
« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 03:00:29 pm by mail-mi »
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

Swowl

• Pawn
  • Shuffle iT Username: Swowl
  • Snow.Owl.Duh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2020, 03:56:58 pm »

yall need to stop stringing together all my favorite shit in back to back games!

/first
/in!
Jesus how did i fuck that up
real good. Thatís how
Town:  12 wins, 9 losses (1 MVP)
Skum: 6 wins, 5 losses (1 MVP)
3-Party: 2 wins, 1 loss

Dylan32

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dylan32
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2020, 06:01:34 pm »

/in

Also, instead of just rolling repeatedly for the last 1 point role, just flip a coin between them and save yourself a few seconds lol
Forum Mafia Record - Wins: 9 - NM9, M97, RMM41, M99, M102, M104, M119, M126, RMM56; Losses 11 - RMM37, M89, M94, M95, M96, M100, RMM47 M109, M110, M120, M127; MVPs: 1 - NM9

EFHW

• Navigator
  • Shuffle iT Username: EFHW
  • EFHW="ee-foo". Really, how else would you say it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2020, 06:05:39 pm »

/in

MiX

• Salvager
  • Shuffle iT Username: MiX
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2020, 06:07:32 pm »

/in

Also, instead of just rolling repeatedly for the last 1 point role, just flip a coin between them and save yourself a few seconds lol

That can get complicated for other rolls. Besides, the excitement of seeing which 10%'s rolled first is too much.

/in, probably. What's an "undead"?

Dylan32

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2020, 06:10:31 pm »

/in

That can get complicated for other rolls. Besides, the excitement of seeing which 10%'s rolled first is too much.

/in, probably. What's an "undead"?

That's why it's just for deciding between the two 1 point powers if needed as noted at the end of step two of the setup process. Of course you roll for the others haha.  That's also probably a relic from the original flavor.
Forum Mafia Record - Wins: 9 - NM9, M97, RMM41, M99, M102, M104, M119, M126, RMM56; Losses 11 - RMM37, M89, M94, M95, M96, M100, RMM47 M109, M110, M120, M127; MVPs: 1 - NM9

scolapasta

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2020, 11:50:51 pm »

/assembing
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

Swowl

• Pawn
  • Snow.Owl.Duh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2020, 01:24:17 am »

real good. Thatís how

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Shuffle iT Username: WestCoastDidds
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2020, 09:21:35 am »

Yams, when do you see this starting?

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2020, 11:46:50 am »

/in
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

SpaceAnemone

• Thief
  • Shuffle iT Username: SpaceAnemone
  • Correct Horse Battery Staple
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2020, 11:48:07 am »

I'm /in :-)
Congratulations! Your SpaceAnemone evolved into UniverseAnemone!
Town games: M84(L), M85(W), M86(L), M87(W), M88(L), M90(L), M92(W), M94(L), M97(L), M99(W), M100(L), M104(W), M107(W), M110(L), M112(L), RMM37(L), RMM40(D), RMM41(L), RMM43(L), RMM47(W), ZM23(W).
Scum games: M89(D), M108(L), NM8(W&MVP), NM10(L)   Mod: NM9, RMM38, RMM42.   Pronouns: they/them

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2020, 11:59:29 am »

Yams, when do you see this starting?

We'll see when it fiils up then we can decide.

chairs

• Young Witch
  • Why don't you have a seat over there...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2020, 02:49:09 pm »

/innocent

LaLight

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2020, 04:07:53 pm »

Wins: 14, 10
Losses: 10, 5, 1
Draws: 1
MVPs: 4
Mod/Co-mod: 18

I always have a limited access to forum on weekends.

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2020, 09:20:44 am »

/in

So if villians are told who the heroes are, and then the whole town is told who the villians are, then the villians know the whole setup, VTs know only the villians (and can deduce point totals) and powered heroes know only their own power and the villiancs?
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2020, 10:18:00 am »

/in

So if villians are told who the heroes are, and then the whole town is told who the villians are, then the villians know the whole setup, VTs know only the villians (and can deduce point totals) and powered heroes know only their own power and the villiancs?

Villains are told what heroes are in the setup, but not how many of each. Other than that yes you're right.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2020, 12:08:05 pm »

/in

Villains are told what heroes are in the setup, but not how many of each. Other than that yes you're right.
Seems like only fairly fringe situations where scum couldn't deduce how many of each there are given the information available to them (i.e. which powers there are and the ascension points).
Since the number of points is within a constant factor of the number of city quarters, in the long run we can get (4 - ε) ↑↑ n points in n turns for any ε > 0.

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
Re: M129: Marvel Mafia 2 (3 spots left!)
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2020, 09:07:34 am »

/in

Thanks, yams!!

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2020, 08:07:07 am »

i join

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2020, 09:54:30 am »

i join

Welcome back!

Just need 1 more, now!

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
Re: M129: Marvel Mafia 2 (1 spot left!)
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2020, 01:12:16 pm »

Iíll Hammer, but Iím going to be V/LA until Monday.
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2020, 01:18:42 pm »

We can start on Monday, then, if you'd prefer

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2020, 01:22:29 pm »

We can start on Monday, then, if you'd prefer

Iím good with that

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
Re: M129: Marvel Mafia 2 (Full! Starting Monday!)
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2020, 12:06:03 pm »

The setup is currently being rolled and PMs will go out shortly.

In the meantime, Thread locked except for tags!

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
Re: M129: Marvel Mafia 2 (Night 0)
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2020, 12:55:13 pm »

All PMs are out! Night 0 will start after all players have confirmed and will last 24 hours. Villians have until N0 ends to choose their powers.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 05:02:40 pm by mail-mi »

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2020, 07:47:39 pm »

Just waiting on 1 more confirmation, then N0 can start.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2020, 12:51:19 pm »

Night 0 starts now and ends at 1:00pm FT on July 22, 2020.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2020, 12:34:23 pm »

Nick Fury stood at the helm of the helicarrier, looking out upon the world beneath. Behind him, SHIELD agents worked at desks and Avengers milled, waiting for the reason he had called them there this day.

Nick turned around. "Avengers," he said, "we have a problem. Three Villians, Thanos, Mysterio, and Ultron have escaped from our prison. We must find them and put them back in their place. I am afraid that they may even be hidden among us, somewhere on this helicarrier. I am trusting you to perform this task."

The assembled Avengers looked amongst themselves. They had never trusted each other much before, but now? Well, they all just hoped the helicarrier would still be flying after this fiasco.

Day 1 starts now!

Vote Count 1.0

Not Voting (13): Swowl, Dylan32, EFHW, MiX, scolapasta, Robz888, SpaceAnemone, chairs, LaLight, jotheonah, WestCoastDidds, popsofctown, Galzria

With 13 alive it takes 7 to exile.

Day 1 lasts until 12:30PM FT on Wednesday, July 29th, 2020.

Thread unlocked!

chairs

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
Re: M129: Marvel Mafia 2 (Day 1)
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2020, 12:36:39 pm »

Vote: Robz

Starting this day off right.

MiX

• Salvager
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2020, 12:37:29 pm »

First!

Vote: pops, I remember you.

PPE: Dammit! Oh hey chairs, are we partners again?

chairs

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2020, 12:40:21 pm »

First!

We're always partners, bud.

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2020, 01:16:17 pm »

For reference:

Mysterio
Illusion: Target another player, they will investigate as "guilty" to Dr. Strange and Iron Man that night. Additionally, they will be vulnerable to Captain America's vengekill that night and the next day.

Thanos
Snap: If Thanos performs the Villian kill, he can instead choose to use the Infinity Gauntlet. The Snap kills through shrinking and healing, but it is blocked by Scarlet Witch's Mind Warp. If Thanos Snaps, he must wait one full night before he can Snap again.

Ultron
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2020, 01:19:51 pm »

And we have either two or three heroes if I am understanding everything right.

He/him

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2020, 01:21:02 pm »

First!

That seems like a reason not to vote me though!

For reference:

Mysterio

Thanos

Ultron
I still haven't read the setup, and I don't think I'm going to, reflavoring standard roles makes it so tedious to read.  Why isn't it "Ultron: Rolecop"?

[v]Galzria[/v]

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2020, 01:21:43 pm »

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh lol
vote:Swowl

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2020, 01:22:58 pm »

For reference:

Mysterio

Thanos

Ultron

Okay, and we can sort of work backwards and figure out more stuff, if I'm understanding the setup. Mysterio is 2, Thanos is 2, and Ultron is 1. So 5 scum points is... 8 town points? So we have some combination of town PRs equal to 8. Which I guess doesn't tell us anything, except that if like three people claim Hulk someone is lying.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2020, 01:26:32 pm »

Uh, wait can there only be one of each town PR? This setup is sort of bonkers.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2020, 01:30:07 pm »

Well the sample setup has two Dr. Stranges, so I guess that is possible.

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2020, 01:30:23 pm »

Oh in that case we have more heroes. Yay.

He/him

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2020, 01:34:53 pm »

So I learned from last game I should be trusting my gut and not afraid to call out what I think is scummy. Cue massive overcorrection.

Alternatively we could just exile MiX.

MiX

• Salvager
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2020, 01:38:30 pm »

First!

That seems like a reason not to vote me though!

We won that game, so whatever happened, it seemed to have worked.

So I learned from last game I should be trusting my gut and not afraid to call out what I think is scummy. Cue massive overcorrection.

Alternatively we could just exile MiX.

:(

LaLight

• Jester
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2020, 01:49:43 pm »

vote: joth semi-seriously

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2020, 01:51:22 pm »

Would love to hear this case.

MiX

• Salvager
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2020, 01:56:06 pm »

Would love to hear this case.

"Read the setup, knows what the scum PRs do"

MiX

• Salvager
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2020, 01:58:01 pm »

Vote: joth

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2020, 02:07:52 pm »

Punishing people for having read the setup seems like next-level bad.

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2020, 02:08:00 pm »

Hi hi hi hi!

Joth is being helpful.

Vote: MiX

MiX

• Salvager
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 22, 2020, 02:08:39 pm »

How about for not saying anything else?

Hi hi hi hi!

Joth is being helpful.

That's why he's scum.

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 22, 2020, 02:29:42 pm »

oy vey

He/him

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 22, 2020, 02:36:31 pm »

Vote: MiX because I'm never trusting him again.

He/him

EFHW

• Navigator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 22, 2020, 02:50:02 pm »

joth seems like he was last game, where I thought he was scum but he wasn't, though I keep thinking he was. So townpoints?

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2020, 02:57:38 pm »

chairs

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2020, 02:58:21 pm »

Vote: mix in a blatant attempt to push my partner for town points.

chairs

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2020, 02:59:11 pm »

Well uh I think that's actually like x-1 what the hell

Unvote

MiX

• Salvager
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 22, 2020, 02:59:22 pm »

I'm at L-3.

It hasn't been 24 hours.

And you think I can be scum? Gimme a break. This is my towntell.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 22, 2020, 03:04:40 pm »

Unvote

Oh spare me the faux panicky unvoting when there's little real danger we'd exile MiX.

chairs

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 22, 2020, 03:06:44 pm »

It wasn't faux panic, it came from the panic region of France which makes it authentic

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 22, 2020, 03:07:54 pm »

happy to be playing with you again Robz! Try not to die right away this time, k? Unless you're scum, then I guess you can die right away.

Also, hi Didds! Hopefully no hard feelings about the hullaballoo last game?

He/him

MiX

• Salvager
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 22, 2020, 03:08:20 pm »

happy to be playing with you again Robz! Try not to die right away this time, k? Unless you're scum, then I guess you can die right away.

Oh you read my case on you.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 22, 2020, 03:10:23 pm »

I was killed early because my reads were too good! Me! This guy!

MiX

• Salvager
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 22, 2020, 03:15:33 pm »

I was killed early because my reads were too good! Me! This guy!

Yeah, you should cherish that moment, it won't happen again anytime soon :P

Hey are you scum this game?

scolapasta

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 22, 2020, 03:15:46 pm »

Hi all.

D1, my favorite. Though I really do like this theme.

Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

scolapasta

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 22, 2020, 03:16:51 pm »

How do you get two or three? 8 town points, so it'd be at least 3, no?

MiX

• Salvager
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 22, 2020, 03:21:17 pm »

He's scum, remember? They're the ones that have to pick between 2 or 3 powers with 5 points.

Dylan32

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 22, 2020, 03:26:00 pm »

Gotta start the game off right with a traditional Vote: LaLight.

Dylan32

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 22, 2020, 03:27:41 pm »

Oh come on... of course chairs would have basically used that line already. At least mine rhymed.

chairs

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 22, 2020, 03:29:28 pm »

🤣

Vote: jotheonah because I like the argument that his two or three logic comes from being scum.

Dylan32

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 22, 2020, 03:32:22 pm »

Most of the time, I wholeheartedly agree with that statement. I think the difference in this case was having read the setup to the point of understanding the scum half but not the town half (that was described first).

Hi all.

D1, my favorite. Though I really do like this theme.

Only a scum deals in sarcasm. /s

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 22, 2020, 03:34:48 pm »

I forgot there was a conversion. I thought it was just like, however many points town gets scum gets that many too.

He/him

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 22, 2020, 03:36:58 pm »

Also, I didn't know you could have duplicates. So really there are as many as 8 heroes and the minimum is 3.

He/him

Swowl

• Pawn
  • Snow.Owl.Duh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 22, 2020, 04:12:17 pm »

Heyo.

We could reverse engineer what roles are likely in the game based on the choices that skum made for their powers?

Normally, that would be an insta pass I know... but since skum literally knew the roles in play prior to their selections... it is not really giving them any info they don't already have.

TBF I also do not know how helpful mapping it out would be for us... thoughts?
real good. Thatís how

scolapasta

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 22, 2020, 04:14:02 pm »

Heyo.

We could reverse engineer what roles are likely in the game based on the choices that skum made for their powers?

Normally, that would be an insta pass I know... but since skum literally knew the roles in play prior to their selections... it is not really giving them any info they don't already have.

I like this approach - I mean even if not helpful, I don't see how it can hurt.

MiX

• Salvager
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 22, 2020, 04:15:52 pm »

Framer means there's at least 1 cop-like role.

Strongman means at least 1 doc.

Yeah this isn't helping. Seems to be one of the many standard setups this game gives us.

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 22, 2020, 04:28:55 pm »

Well now MiX is being helpful!

chairs

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 22, 2020, 04:41:23 pm »

8 points means too much variance available to guess the town roles, but once we inevitably find out one or more it will probably get easier.

Swowl

• Pawn
  • Snow.Owl.Duh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 22, 2020, 04:44:41 pm »

Yeah this isn't helping. Seems to be one of the many standard setups this game gives us.

yeah the not helpful part is where I arrived at as well.

Only things of distinction I could come up with:

1. They took the strong man kill. So we can hopefully plan on having a Groot within Town.
2. They took Framer instead of Loki. Which would suggest an aggressive approach to the cop existence situation.

I am trying to come up with a plan for the Groot approach... but I can't think of a good one.
real good. Thatís how

Swowl

• Pawn
  • Snow.Owl.Duh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 22, 2020, 04:48:51 pm »

Also they have Ultron (role cop). IDK if that should effect how we do claiming, but we should probably be weary of claiming at L-1 unless it is like absolutely needed. Every night Ultron is alive they will already be getting 2 checks worth of PR info (one from kill and one from Ultron check). So every day we choose to run someone up, have them claim, and lynch elsewhere... that is 3 people they get results on.
real good. Thatís how

SpaceAnemone

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 22, 2020, 05:04:58 pm »

It wasn't faux panic, it came from the panic region of France which makes it authentic

This made me genuinely laugh out loud!

Vote: Chairs for being funny :-)
Town games: M84(L), M85(W), M86(L), M87(W), M88(L), M90(L), M92(W), M94(L), M97(L), M99(W), M100(L), M104(W), M107(W), M110(L), M112(L), RMM37(L), RMM40(D), RMM41(L), RMM43(L), RMM47(W), ZM23(W).
Scum games: M89(D), M108(L), NM8(W&MVP), NM10(L)   Mod: NM9, RMM38, RMM42.   Pronouns: they/them

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 22, 2020, 05:07:36 pm »

Agreed, Space!

MiX

• Salvager
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 22, 2020, 05:09:21 pm »

Oh hi Space!

I almost had the same reaction, so you're town.

SpaceAnemone

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 22, 2020, 05:14:19 pm »

yeah the not helpful part is where I arrived at as well.

Only things of distinction I could come up with:

1. They took the strong man kill. So we can hopefully plan on having a Groot within Town.
2. They took Framer instead of Loki. Which would suggest an aggressive approach to the cop existence situation.

I am trying to come up with a plan for the Groot approach... but I can't think of a good one.

I like this reverse engineering plan, but I'm not sure about the Framer and Loki being quite that much of a trade-off. Looking at the set of scum roles, there are only two for odd numbers of points, and since they have 5 points worth of roles, that means either a Loki and two Ultrons, or a Loki and only one other two-point baddie.

If I get some time, I'll put together some code to give me all the possible game setups and likelihoods, though given that our roll likelihoods aren't all that asymmetrical, it's probably nothing too unexpected.

EFHW

• Navigator
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 22, 2020, 05:15:45 pm »

Heyo.

It will give them information about who doesn't have certain roles. Which seems to matter them, since they chose the rolecop.

SpaceAnemone

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 22, 2020, 05:19:13 pm »

Agreed, Space!

Oh hi Space!

Heh.. I found it so ammusing I pointed it out to my French lockdown-lodger :-P Shame I haven't managed to get him back here to play any more Mafia.

I've been out of the loop for a couple of games. Anyone want to fill me in on anything relevant that's been happening, since I'm unlikely to have time to read it all?

chairs

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 22, 2020, 05:26:34 pm »

MiX and I are permanently scum partners, does that count? Even if we're town it's a thing now

Swowl

• Pawn
  • Snow.Owl.Duh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 22, 2020, 05:28:45 pm »

5 strawpennies to anyone that can tell me why space is town.
real good. Thatís how

MiX

• Salvager
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 22, 2020, 05:29:58 pm »

MiX and I are permanently scum partners, does that count? Even if we're town it's a thing now

Neat. How does that work? Do we win with scum? Do we get night chat? Ooooh do we get a faction kill?

Wait, wait, I got it. We get a public neighborhood! AKA, this thread.

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 22, 2020, 05:33:11 pm »

Also they have Ultron (role cop). IDK if that should effect how we do claiming, but we should probably be weary of claiming at L-1 unless it is like absolutely needed. Every night Ultron is alive they will already be getting 2 checks worth of PR info (one from kill and one from Ultron check). So every day we choose to run someone up, have them claim, and lynch elsewhere... that is 3 people they get results on.

This is good analysis. Townpoints for you.

He/him

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 22, 2020, 05:37:16 pm »

Whatís a strawpenny?? Space is town for whipping up some code. Everyone knows this. It is known.

LaLight

• Jester
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 22, 2020, 05:45:30 pm »

Hi hi hi hi!

Joth is being helpful.

That's why he's scum.

yup

scolapasta

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 22, 2020, 05:47:49 pm »

Heyo.

It will give them information about who doesn't have certain roles. Which seems to matter them, since they chose the rolecop.

How so? It would just be speculating about the roles, not who has them.

Swowl

• Pawn
  • Snow.Owl.Duh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 22, 2020, 05:50:02 pm »

Neat. How does that work? Do we win with scum? Do we get night chat? Ooooh do we get a faction kill?

buzz. try again.
also only pushing it because it should be noted.

set up says no duplicates for skum roles.
real good. Thatís how

MiX

• Salvager
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 22, 2020, 05:52:15 pm »

Now I can't try again.  :'(

chairs

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 22, 2020, 06:37:15 pm »

God I wish we'd lasted longer that game, you crack me up   8)

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 22, 2020, 06:39:22 pm »

MiX, why should I believe that you're not scum this game?

Mafia Record:

MiX

• Salvager
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 22, 2020, 06:40:46 pm »

That would be way too cool for me.

Stop asking this! You have no idea how awful it is to answer this when I'm scum. Or town. Or third-party. Or anything in between. It feels like whatever I say it's scummy.

Has this been helping you?

Swowl

• Pawn
  • Snow.Owl.Duh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 22, 2020, 06:50:56 pm »

fantastic
real good. Thatís how

chairs

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 22, 2020, 07:20:26 pm »

fantastic

Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy? Or Fantastic Four?

Swowl

• Pawn
  • Snow.Owl.Duh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 22, 2020, 07:33:50 pm »

fantastic

Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy? Or Fantastic Four?

well I was going with Elton, but given the game flavor I suppose it should be F4...
real good. Thatís how

scolapasta

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 22, 2020, 07:42:24 pm »

Heyo.

How so? It would just be speculating about the roles, not who has them.

I still don't see the harm, but in case I'm missing something, I'll just enumerate the point combinations (people can just replace the points with roles fairly easily on their own anyway):

3-3-2
3-3-1-1
3-2-2-1
3-2-1-1-1
3-1-1-1-1-1
2-2-2-2
2-2-2-1-1
2-2-1-1-1-1
2-1-1-1-1-1-1
1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1

I agree this may not be that helpful, but since I wrote it out for myself, figured why not share?

chairs

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 22, 2020, 07:44:57 pm »

Neat. Probably not helpful until later if and when we have claims

MiX

• Salvager
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 22, 2020, 07:45:57 pm »

How many ways can you split 8 into a sum of integers is a fun problem, but in this game it's irrelevant.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 22, 2020, 09:02:35 pm »

Just so I am reading this correctly: It's possible, though extremely unlikely, we have 8 Ant-Mans?

MiX

• Salvager
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 22, 2020, 09:07:05 pm »

Just so I am reading this correctly: It's possible, though extremely unlikely, we have 8 Ant-Mans?

Yep! But then why Framer.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 22, 2020, 09:11:35 pm »

Yep! But then why Framer.

Right, yeah. Just saying, theoretically. Scum choices definitely point to certain PRs, not 8 Ant-Mans (Ant-Men?)

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 22, 2020, 09:55:47 pm »

Vote: Space for being anti-funny

Mafia Record:

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 22, 2020, 09:57:55 pm »

Stop asking this! You have no idea how awful it is to answer this when I'm scum. Or town. Or third-party. Or anything in between. It feels like whatever I say it's scummy.

It's been helping me laugh.

Why is this question so difficult for you? It's not as if you don't know it's coming. This is the... 8th? 9th? game in a row that I've asked it of you in my opening post.

Mafia Record:

MiX

• Salvager
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 22, 2020, 10:00:14 pm »

I have hope.

And a short memory.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 22, 2020, 10:01:39 pm »

Unvote

Oh spare me the faux panicky unvoting when there's little real danger we'd exile MiX.

But also, this.

vote: Chairs

Robz - why did you make this post but not vote for Chairs?

Mafia Record:

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 23, 2020, 12:03:01 am »

Heyo.

Best play is always to treat setups as vanilla except for factors you just can't ignore.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 23, 2020, 12:19:43 am »

It's frustrating to not behave in a more sortable manner, but you're probably town this game anyway.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 23, 2020, 12:23:38 am »

I'm gonna box that next person who talks about mechanics again, which could be anybody, because it's all any of you are doing.  It's a really good way to make an environment where scum can hide and town can't find anything.  Please stop

Swowl

• Pawn
  • Snow.Owl.Duh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 23, 2020, 12:25:19 am »

Heyo.

Best play is always to treat setups as vanilla except for factors you just can't ignore.

I mean if you were not a Vt in a game that has deductible logic in it and you are town you def shouldn't play it "from a vt pov" that is just wasted knowledge. But I think I get your point. and if I do, I at least moderately agree with it.
real good. Thatís how

Swowl

• Pawn
  • Snow.Owl.Duh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 23, 2020, 12:25:50 am »

I'm gonna box that next person who talks about mechanics again, which could be anybody, because it's all any of you are doing.  It's a really good way to make an environment where scum can hide and town can't find anything.  Please stop

more than you are doing. just saying.
real good. Thatís how

Swowl

• Pawn
  • Snow.Owl.Duh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 23, 2020, 12:30:34 am »

meh that comes off poorly. sorry. but if you don't like the topic being discussed you should invite another one, not just complain about what it is people are actually discussing.
real good. Thatís how

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 23, 2020, 12:34:16 am »

Heyo.

I mean if you were not a Vt in a game that has deductible logic in it and you are town you def shouldn't play it "from a vt pov" that is just wasted knowledge. But I think I get your point. and if I do, I at least moderately agree with it.
"Oh I rolled Doctor I should probably decide who the mafia want to kill tonight and message the mod their name or I'm throwing away lots of value" would be what I mean by "except for factors you can't ignore."  If you think a Doctor should participate in the dayplay in a fundamentally different way from a VT, like attempting to manipulate their chance of getting nightkilled or something, I fundamentally disagree as I think it's too hard to do; you'll play the daygame much worst or paradoxically spew your role to scum precisely because you set out to do something besides play all your games the same.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 23, 2020, 12:35:34 am »

meh that comes off poorly. sorry. but if you don't like the topic being discussed you should invite another one, not just complain about what it is people are actually discussing.
I was intending to do that soonish.  I am playing battlegrounds while reading/rereading so it's very slow.  My last game on f.ds wasn't very active so I wasn't expecting drawing it out to make much difference

Swowl

• Pawn
  • Snow.Owl.Duh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 23, 2020, 12:39:03 am »

Heyo.

"Oh I rolled Doctor I should probably decide who the mafia want to kill tonight and message the mod their name or I'm throwing away lots of value" would be what I mean by "except for factors you can't ignore."  If you think a Doctor should participate in the dayplay in a fundamentally different way from a VT, like attempting to manipulate their chance of getting nightkilled or something, I fundamentally disagree as I think it's too hard to do; you'll play the daygame much worst or paradoxically spew your role to scum precisely because you set out to do something besides play all your games the same.

I think our defn of "play" is different. I guess my word would be more appropriately "approach".
real good. Thatís how

Swowl

• Pawn
  • Snow.Owl.Duh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 23, 2020, 12:41:06 am »

I was intending to do that soonish.  I am playing battlegrounds while reading/rereading so it's very slow.  My last game on f.ds wasn't very active so I wasn't expecting drawing it out to make much difference

fds day 1s are, in a summary:
1 parts RVS
2 parts set up talk
a dash of bitters
900 dashes of MiX and faust leading random conversation
set oven to 450 and wait until 3 hours to DL and randomly lynch one of the wagons.

so if you got something to talk about. please, switch it up .
real good. Thatís how

Swowl

• Pawn
  • Snow.Owl.Duh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 23, 2020, 12:42:00 am »

also battlegrounds like HS battlegrounds? love that game
real good. Thatís how

scolapasta

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: July 23, 2020, 12:48:28 am »

1 parts RVS
2 parts set up talk
a dash of bitters
set oven to 450 and wait until 3 hours to DL and randomly lynch one of the wagons.

so if you got somrething to talk about. please, switch it up .

Ha! This is great. And reflects my general feels on D1. I'm on board for a different approach. (sadly I don't have one myself)

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 23, 2020, 12:49:19 am »

Agreed, Space!

Oh hi Space!

Heh.. I found it so ammusing I pointed it out to my French lockdown-lodger :-P Shame I haven't managed to get him back here to play any more Mafia.

I've been out of the loop for a couple of games. Anyone want to fill me in on anything relevant that's been happening, since I'm unlikely to have time to read it all?
This is scummy posting, not terribly so and for the more obvious reasons, that the proportional lack of interest in the game at hand isn't a great look.
Heyo.

This is probably a townslip on the other hand, assuming without deciding it's true, I think scum would be likely to think of or characterize their decision in this way/with this wording.  Rolecops typically return to kill their targets the following night because they found out their target was "anything but VT".

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 23, 2020, 12:50:00 am »

1 parts RVS
2 parts set up talk
a dash of bitters

Oh I am becoming aware of how I have dramatically altered this formula in the past

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 23, 2020, 12:52:09 am »

And yeah I have a mostly dragons comp but i'm gonna try to squeeze a Goldgrubber in

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 23, 2020, 12:54:34 am »

Goldgrubber is always a trap children

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 23, 2020, 12:55:03 am »

Unvote

But also, this.

I appreciate that you asked this. I was about to do so, and then I thought to myself, ďokay but is this actually something scum does, or just something that annoys me? Is it actually townie to do something that annoys me, given that avoiding annoying me has to be a priority for scum?Ē One thing my brother, who is a much bette me town player than I, has taught me is too look for scum inconsistencies rather than just actions than seem unhelpful.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 23, 2020, 12:58:40 am »

Vote:Robz88

Swowl

• Pawn
  • Snow.Owl.Duh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 23, 2020, 01:26:19 am »

Vote:Robz88
spaces between ":" and "player name"

like this

Vote: Robz
real good. Thatís how

LaLight

• Jester
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 23, 2020, 03:14:21 am »

Gotta start the game off right with a traditional Vote: LaLight.

This is amazing and annotation worthy after the game

SpaceAnemone

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 23, 2020, 06:31:25 am »

Dang.. this is a cruel post for me to read just after I wanted to correct scolapasta on why it's not useful only to enumerate the points breakdowns when different roles at the same point values have differet chances of getting rolled.

OTOH, I do think that fleshing out better distribution estimates is not something we need to do openly in-thread immediately. I reserve the right to have my fun D3 or so, assuming it looks useful for us to know about at that point :-)

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 23, 2020, 06:31:42 am »

*unless you're rafaam

SpaceAnemone

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 23, 2020, 06:33:29 am »

Meh, Vote: Galz for being anti-space... when am I ever successfully pro-funny? Ask Didds or LL whether they remember me being humorous in person...

SpaceAnemone

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 23, 2020, 06:42:09 am »

*unless you're rafaam

You wrote that my "proportional lack of interest in the game at hand isn't a great look". At least I was talking about the game we're in right now ;-)
(I googled "Goldgrubber" and figure it's not MCU-related.. haven't actually looked up what rafaam is, but am assuming similar).

Anyway, I guess it's accurate that I'm not feeling super-engaged yet, but yesterday was the end of a busy day, and right now it's just a quick between-meetings coffee break. For me, the main purpose of D1 is to create wagons for future wagon analysis, and I often find myself regretting in later days that I didn't move my vote around enough to get better PoE, so I'm trying to at least do some voting to help later.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 23, 2020, 07:43:54 am »

Space what's your pronouns I don't remember

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 23, 2020, 07:44:21 am »

oh wait I found them on third look

MiX

• Salvager
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: July 23, 2020, 08:07:44 am »

I like this pops. Seems town, or wants to be town. That's a completely different pops from the one that dayvigs 2 IRL days in.

What do you think of joth? What do you think of people in general, you were talking a lot in general.

Meh, Vote: Galz for being anti-space... when am I ever successfully pro-funny? Ask Didds or LL whether they remember me being humorous in person...

You're funny sometimes. It might not be NAI to be unfunny, although I have no idea what Galzria meant by it, what post was he referencing?

Honestly I'd like a clarification from him.

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 23, 2020, 08:26:48 am »

vote: Galzria

He/him

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 23, 2020, 08:29:17 am »

1 parts RVS
2 parts set up talk
a dash of bitters

This is a sig-worthy post.

He/him

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 23, 2020, 08:43:40 am »

I like this pops. Seems town, or wants to be town. That's a completely different pops from the one that dayvigs 2 IRL days in.

What do you think of joth? What do you think of people in general, you were talking a lot in general.

You're funny sometimes. It might not be NAI to be unfunny, although I have no idea what Galzria meant by it, what post was he referencing?

This made me genuinely laugh out loud!

Vote: Chairs for being funny :-)

Mafia Record:

MiX

• Salvager
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 23, 2020, 08:44:22 am »

Aww, RVS :(

I thought you had something there.

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 23, 2020, 08:45:32 am »

Good morning!!

Swowl, the D1 recipe is everything. I ❤️ you.

MiX, Iím laughing at your pops dayvig reference. Definitely a different pops here. I dig it. What are you thinking about chairs? (Other than the obvious mutual admiration?)  What about Galz?

Hi Joth! You and I are good. Thanks for asking.

Space is for sure funny! Itís  a dry observational humor mixed with genuine charm.

Scola, friend, how are you? Iím not finding you scummy! Thatís good news!!

Pops, hi! I donít know what a goldgrubber is, but it reminds me of gradegrubbers which is what I call students looking for extra points for anything well after the time for earning points has passed. And gradegrubbing is indeed, a trap. The setup talk is hard for me to grok, plus I love the idea of boxing anyone, so Iím totally here for the new and improved Ctown D1 recipe.

MiX

• Salvager
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 23, 2020, 08:47:02 am »

chairs looks scummy, Galz looks scummy, but I haven't given it much thought.

Which probably means they're both town...

EFHW

• Navigator
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 23, 2020, 09:01:08 am »

How many ways can you split 8 into a sum of integers is a fun problem, but in this game it's irrelevant.

It's not irrelevant. Shutting scola down seems MiX is trying to control the conversation a bit much.

MiX

• Salvager
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 23, 2020, 09:04:14 am »

It's not irrelevant. Shutting scola down seems MiX is trying to control the conversation a bit much.

I wanted to correct scolapasta on why it's not useful only to enumerate the points breakdowns when different roles at the same point values have differet chances of getting rolled.

Except "why" is a Space thing to do, I just assume people won't understand my explanation and shut it down.

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 23, 2020, 09:31:03 am »

Why so glum, MiX?

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 23, 2020, 10:01:14 am »

Good morning!!

Swowl, the D1 recipe is everything. I ❤️ you.

MiX, Iím laughing at your pops dayvig reference. Definitely a different pops here. I dig it. What are you thinking about chairs? (Other than the obvious mutual admiration?)  What about Galz?

Hi Joth! You and I are good. Thanks for asking.

Space is for sure funny! Itís  a dry observational humor mixed with genuine charm.

Scola, friend, how are you? Iím not finding you scummy! Thatís good news!!

Pops, hi! I donít know what a goldgrubber is, but it reminds me of gradegrubbers which is what I call students looking for extra points for anything well after the time for earning points has passed. And gradegrubbing is indeed, a trap. The setup talk is hard for me to grok, plus I love the idea of boxing anyone, so Iím totally here for the new and improved Ctown D1 recipe.
Goldgrubber is the "major" you pick up long after the time has passed for you to have decided on a major

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 23, 2020, 10:06:35 am »

Ha! Goldgrubbers, then, are the WORST and have all of my ire and contempt.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 23, 2020, 10:10:20 am »

How dare you Mix.  The zombie game didn't require that much effort, with the wincon being somewhat town adjacent and my play being somewhat obscure here.  But new game and you should not be townreading just because I don't have a dayvig, I doubt this setup even has dayvigs.  I have done like, nothing this game I couldn't emulate as scum.

Tell me exactly what you are (pretending to) townread.

iZombie allowed me to openwolf for specific reasons but I woudln't do that in singleball

And this seems like willful ignorance.

I guess Didds agrees with you
but like she always seems scummy
There were many zombie meeting sessions about how scummy Didds was but I think she flipped town that game.
otoh I think you're more authentic than this if you're town I feel paranoid you anticipated other positive reactions to my A-type mafia personality townplay and want to townread the thing you're gonna NK anyway, but I don't think I've done anything actually evidencing my alignment, only had healthful style

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 23, 2020, 10:10:59 am »

im drunk so im going to not play hearthstone so i don't buy the gold grubbers, but I am about play some m tg

MiX

• Salvager
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 23, 2020, 10:19:18 am »

Woah, pops is drunk angry. I can feel the disgust at lazy townreading him from here.

You dodged the question: what do you think of joth?

The rest of your post is a drunken mess, I'll answer it in a bit on non-mobile.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #150 on: July 23, 2020, 10:30:28 am »

joth is town i dont remember you asking ur eyeball is a drunken mess

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 23, 2020, 10:31:14 am »

pls feel scumread in a feminine way

MiX

• Salvager
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 23, 2020, 10:49:54 am »

How dare you Mix.  The zombie game didn't require that much effort, with the wincon being somewhat town adjacent and my play being somewhat obscure here.  But new game and you should not be townreading just because I don't have a dayvig, I doubt this setup even has dayvigs.  I have done like, nothing this game I couldn't emulate as scum.

Tell me exactly what you are (pretending to) townread.

iZombie allowed me to openwolf for specific reasons but I woudln't do that in singleball

And this seems like willful ignorance.

I guess Didds agrees with you
but like she always seems scummy
There were many zombie meeting sessions about how scummy Didds was but I think she flipped town that game.
otoh I think you're more authentic than this if you're town I feel paranoid you anticipated other positive reactions to my A-type mafia personality townplay and want to townread the thing you're gonna NK anyway, but I don't think I've done anything actually evidencing my alignment, only had healthful style

Well I wasn't really townreading you, you just wanted to look like town, which is different. Different from third-party isn't a read.

But then I did townread you so I don't know. It's not what I meant in the post you quoted anyway.

I think you're just being genuine. I think you're being very conscious that you're hard to read and you play in a generally scummy way, and instead of breaking that openly, you're playing heavily into it. The setup thoughts look very pops, early reading people using "evidence" in posts feels right and not made up, your vote is good, and overall you're not paying attention to the game and just saying things, and given how correct those things are, I'd say they come from town trying to be right than scum making stuff up on the spot.

This post is pretty scummy, however. You assume I'm townreading you and you crush it, then you assume I'm scum a bunch of times in a row and describe yourself as "healthful".

joth is town i dont remember you asking ur eyeball is a drunken mess

Nah, he's not. You'd know, right?

I can't even begin to start trying to address this post.

MiX

• Salvager
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 23, 2020, 10:51:10 am »

Why so glum, MiX?

I don't think I'm being glum...

SpaceAnemone

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 23, 2020, 11:24:37 am »

I wanted to correct scolapasta on why it's not useful only to enumerate the points breakdowns when different roles at the same point values have differet chances of getting rolled.

Except "why" is a Space thing to do, I just assume people won't understand my explanation and shut it down.

I tend not to worry too much about whether everyone gets my explanations... over-explaining things is an IRL passtime of mine too, unfortunately.

Anyway, if the explanation is there, and there's at least one technical person who can vouch to the thread that I'm making sense, then at least I can be held to my statements, and the same should go for other people. I'm not a big fan of stating stuff and dropping votes with no explanation, though I think it works better for some players' play-styles than others. To clarify, I'm not saying I can's see the utility of being able to drop a vote without being expected to say anything further about it, particularly for people who might have PR-derived info... I just don't personally feel comfortable with deliberate uncertainty on the whole.

As for EFHW calling MiX out, @EFHW, presumably you'd actually agree that if we were to want to talk about role distributions in the thread here, then the frequency with which the different roles are expected to be rolled is actually relevant as well as the number of possible role-point sums?

LaLight

• Jester
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 23, 2020, 11:28:08 am »

I sign every word. Space, I love your humor

EFHW

• Navigator
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 23, 2020, 11:50:26 am »

As for EFHW calling MiX out, @EFHW, presumably you'd actually agree that if we were to want to talk about role distributions in the thread here, then the frequency with which the different roles are expected to be rolled is actually relevant as well as the number of possible role-point sums?

Actually, no. It depends how you want to use the information. If you are trying to predict stuff, then yes. If you want a comprehensive look at the possibilities, then it doesn't matter if some are more probable than others.

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 23, 2020, 11:52:19 am »

MiX thinks I'm scum. Must be Thursday.

He/him

MiX

• Salvager
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 23, 2020, 12:20:15 pm »

MiX thinks I'm scum. Must be Thursday.

It is!

scolapasta

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 23, 2020, 12:30:00 pm »

Actually, no. It depends how you want to use the information. If you are trying to predict stuff, then yes. If you want a comprehensive look at the possibilities, then it doesn't matter if some are more probable than others.

Right, I think there's value added in both. I also don't think my enumeration was rocket science, but was useful enough for me to start wrapping my head and what kinds of combinations we might have.

scolapasta

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 23, 2020, 12:30:57 pm »

Those who have played with popsofctown before, is this their usual style of play? (it's fairly different from the rest of y'all so just trying to calibrate my radar).

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 23, 2020, 12:32:23 pm »

I can link as many towngames or scumgames of mine as your heart desires if your heart desires them

scolapasta

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 23, 2020, 12:39:18 pm »

My heart desires a lot of things... reading through a bunch of old games on my vacation day is not exactly one of them... ;)

I will say your posts do seem in character for you from other non mafia posts I've read, so there's that, which feels towny.

I am trying to hone in on some non RVS D1 vote, but while I have some ideas, it's still at my usual elusive D1 distance...

chairs

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 23, 2020, 12:47:23 pm »

D1 is the best day because you can just spout off whatever and it doesn't matter, because D1 scum hunting is pretty dumb unless scum make a big faux pas. I generally just vote based on who's annoyed me, a die roll, or because I'm cheerfully taking the piss.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 23, 2020, 01:01:59 pm »

D1 is the best day for the totally opposite reasons you're spouting chairs, it has the most complex dayplay, it's analagous to a chess midgame

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: July 23, 2020, 01:16:54 pm »

I'm townreading joth, but I may have forgotten what it would feel like to *not* townread joth.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 23, 2020, 01:18:14 pm »

Those who have played with popsofctown before, is this their usual style of play? (it's fairly different from the rest of y'all so just trying to calibrate my radar).

It's very much their usual style of play.

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 23, 2020, 01:35:50 pm »

im drunk so im going to not play hearthstone so i don't buy the gold grubbers, but I am about play some m tg

Pops, where are you located? I am totally down for daytime drunk mafia because lockdown has erased all sense of time in our house.

I'm I remembering you use "she", but don't care much about pronouns?

EFHW

• Navigator
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 23, 2020, 01:36:22 pm »

D1 is the best day because you can just spout off whatever and it doesn't matter, because D1 scum hunting is pretty dumb unless scum make a big faux pas. I generally just vote based on who's annoyed me, a die roll, or because I'm cheerfully taking the piss.
faux again!

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 23, 2020, 01:36:50 pm »

D1 is the best day for the totally opposite reasons you're spouting chairs, it has the most complex dayplay, it's analagous to a chess midgame

This is helpful. I suck at chess and D1.

MiX

• Salvager
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 23, 2020, 02:01:49 pm »

D1 is the entire game. It's hard to lose a game where scum's the D1 exile (unless LaLight's scum, of course) and it's honestly hard to reverse the momentum of a town exile. It breaks morale a bit too much for town.

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 23, 2020, 02:28:09 pm »

from my limited experience, yes. I find him a breath of fresh air tbh.

He/him

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 23, 2020, 02:29:44 pm »

D1 is the entire game. It's hard to lose a game where scum's the D1 exile (unless LaLight's scum, of course) and it's honestly hard to reverse the momentum of a town exile. It breaks morale a bit too much for town.

ha. a D1 misexile affects my town morale not at all. I'm very Bayesian about it, it's my prior. I'm pleasantly surprised when we hit scum. Mostly, D1 is for getting information and kickstarting the game.

He/him

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 23, 2020, 02:32:42 pm »

Pops, where are you located? I am totally down for daytime drunk mafia because lockdown has erased all sense of time in our house.

I just bought my first home bottle of Scotch, so next drunk mafia is going to be  ... a lot.

(Finlaggan Old Reserve, since I know someone is going to ask. It was a bit of a value buy, on clearance at this huge liquor store at a rest stop in New Hampshire.)

He/him

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 23, 2020, 03:07:25 pm »

Apparently drunkpops cares more than soberpops.

I'm on hiatus from employment due to relatively high infection rates in my area and am kind of leading a lifestyle that transcends timezones for the most part.

There is actually some clusters of data showing lots of town losses for day one scum exiles, but only in larger games.  I think it's correlation, not causation, though.  The alignment of the player everyone through their vote down on doesn't matter that much, what matters is the multitude of impressions about everyone in the whole playerlist.  In my philosophy.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 23, 2020, 03:12:28 pm »

My heart desires a lot of things... reading through a bunch of old games on my vacation day is not exactly one of them... ;)

I will say your posts do seem in character for you from other non mafia posts I've read, so there's that, which feels towny.

I am trying to hone in on some non RVS D1 vote, but while I have some ideas, it's still at my usual elusive D1 distance...
Could you explain why emulating my offtopic posting closely would make me town in your view?

MiX

• Salvager
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 23, 2020, 03:12:58 pm »

I can see that pops, but given half the games we play are RMMs, early exiles tend to be more important than they look at first.

In this game it shouldn't matter that much. This is a... 4 mislynch game? Which is I think 1 more than the usual.

I still really like D1 as it's the only day I can scumhunt without needing to care about PRs.

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 23, 2020, 03:14:23 pm »

When we exile scum on D1, I do a dance of exuberant joy. It's super fun, so let's do that.

Joth, starting with a peaty one.  I like it!!

I'm kind of finding Mix more understated than usual.  Could be the dayvig PTSD from Pops, or could be scum Mix. Not super sure yet.

chairs

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 23, 2020, 03:29:23 pm »

Don't get me twisted I love exiling scum D1 but I don't feel bad when we misexile.

That being said the SK D1 exile from Dynasty Warriors was crucial to our sweep after.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 23, 2020, 03:30:12 pm »

I can see that pops, but given half the games we play are RMMs, early exiles tend to be more important than they look at first.

In this game it shouldn't matter that much. This is a... 4 mislynch game? Which is I think 1 more than the usual.

I still really like D1 as it's the only day I can scumhunt without needing to care about PRs.
Yeah in a normal game a d1 exile doesn't affect nightplay much because it's usually a goon and roles like rolecop have less meaning that doctor or cop

In role madness exiling mafia d1 means you didn't exile and/or out cops and doctors do to the density so that's a big nightplay impact.

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: July 23, 2020, 03:47:38 pm »

isn't anyone going to ask me why I voted for Galzria?

He/him

MiX

• Salvager
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 23, 2020, 03:50:30 pm »

No.

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 23, 2020, 03:54:43 pm »

No.

Well than I'm not telling! But you should all join me.

He/him

MiX

• Salvager
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 23, 2020, 03:55:58 pm »

Why should we join you?

chairs

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 23, 2020, 04:04:25 pm »

Maybe he's got cookies? But then he's the dark side ergo scum.

Vote: jotheonah

LaLight

• Jester
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: July 23, 2020, 04:06:38 pm »

firstly, awwwww thanks, secondly, are you buddying me?

scolapasta

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: July 23, 2020, 04:07:10 pm »

Could you explain why emulating my offtopic posting closely would make me town in your view?

Honestly, it's a small thing, but as I've never played with you, I'm trying to just find something to get any kind of bearing. Are you saying it's wrong?

I hear everyone on D1 - clearly it's something I need to get better at. Not sure it's going to happen this game, though.

scolapasta

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: July 23, 2020, 04:07:50 pm »

No.

Well than I'm not telling! But you should all join me.

I'll bite. Why are you voting for Galz?

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: July 23, 2020, 04:10:20 pm »

Why should we join you?

I'm so glad you asked!

Because I am getting scum vibes off Galzria. Specifically, this post:

Unvote

But also, this.

Ok, now I'm having a hard time articulating why this is scummy. Basically, I think it's scummy to jump on someone else's case and then sort of softly egg that person on to back it up with a vote. Like he's impatient to get a wagon going.

He/him

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: July 23, 2020, 04:12:25 pm »

This game is a great example of how well scum can do when they are all (mostly) active.

I mean, Scum should generally do well when active. I have notes in my QT where I talked about intentionally being less active to lean into an older established meta of mine - dictated by the group we were playing with. If the game were largely the ďnewerĒ (to me, since returning for M100) crowd, I think I wouldíve played more forward and ďin controlĒ. I certainly find it WAY easier to be active scum than inactive scum - I hate feeling a loss of game control.

Also, this is an important quote from Galzria in the aftermath of the game we just finished, where he was scum. Do you think Galz is being active, forward, and in control this game?

He/him

MiX

• Salvager
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: July 23, 2020, 04:13:20 pm »

He's impatient to get a wagon going.

Yeah I agree that seems scummy.

This game is a great example of how well scum can do when they are all (mostly) active.

I mean, Scum should generally do well when active. I have notes in my QT where I talked about intentionally being less active to lean into an older established meta of mine - dictated by the group we were playing with. If the game were largely the ďnewerĒ (to me, since returning for M100) crowd, I think I wouldíve played more forward and ďin controlĒ. I certainly find it WAY easier to be active scum than inactive scum - I hate feeling a loss of game control.

Also, this is an important quote from Galzria in the aftermath of the game we just finished, where he was scum. Do you think Galz is being active, forward, and in control this game?

That takes at least 1 day to realize. That's kinda why I'm not talking about him, he's solvable eventually, and early D1 is not when that happens.

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: July 23, 2020, 04:14:54 pm »

He's impatient to get a wagon going.

Yeah I agree that seems scummy.

Ah, but there's a big important difference: I'm trying to start a wagon from nothing. Smart scum tries to start a wagon from somebody else's idea.

He/him

MiX

• Salvager
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: July 23, 2020, 04:15:56 pm »

Does that mean I'm town? Neat.

Hey everyone join the joth wagon, best place to be in.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 23, 2020, 04:16:08 pm »

Honestly, it's a small thing, but as I've never played with you, I'm trying to just find something to get any kind of bearing. Are you saying it's wrong?

I hear everyone on D1 - clearly it's something I need to get better at. Not sure it's going to happen this game, though.

I would be of the opinion it's wrong.  Playing mafia is different from using English to discuss stuff, but when you roll scum you win if you play as little mafia as possible, so the more someone feels like an out of game players the more likely they are to be scum.   I try to be pretty conversational as both alignments just because mafia is more fun that way (?) People win more if they're having fun rationalize (?) So anyway mostly I would place very small weight on it, but if I had to pick a direction, I would say seeming conversational is scum indicative.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: July 23, 2020, 04:17:09 pm »

Shoot: MiX

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: July 23, 2020, 04:17:15 pm »

@MiX why is it that whenever I send out the obvtown memo everybody gets it but you? Do I have your address wrong?

He/him

MiX

• Salvager
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: July 23, 2020, 04:19:17 pm »

Joke's on you I checked if there was a dayvig in this setup before my first post. There isn't.

@MiX why is it that whenever I send out the obvtown memo everybody gets it but you? Do I have your address wrong?

Yes.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: July 23, 2020, 04:22:23 pm »

shoot: MiX

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: July 23, 2020, 04:29:10 pm »

Joke's on you I checked if there was a dayvig in this setup before my first post. There isn't.

Ask yourself, if you're playing in such a way that this is a necessary step, should you rethink your playstyle?

He/him

MiX

• Salvager
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: July 23, 2020, 04:30:21 pm »

Ask yourself, if you're playing in such a way that this is a necessary step, should you rethink your playstyle?

No. I got 3 out of 3 correct scum reads that game and we won, both me and the person that shot me. I see no reason to change.

scolapasta

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: July 23, 2020, 04:34:24 pm »

I would be of the opinion it's wrong.  Playing mafia is different from using English to discuss stuff, but when you roll scum you win if you play as little mafia as possible, so the more someone feels like an out of game players the more likely they are to be scum.   I try to be pretty conversational as both alignments just because mafia is more fun that way (?) People win more if they're having fun rationalize (?) So anyway mostly I would place very small weight on it, but if I had to pick a direction, I would say seeming conversational is scum indicative.

Man, you're hurting my head... so the reasons I would give you some town cred are really reasons I should think you're scum. Which why would you say that, if you were scum.

I don't know, I'm leaving this thread for a little and going to join in with joth.

Vote: galz

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: July 23, 2020, 04:41:49 pm »

Why should we join you?

I'm so glad you asked!

Unvote

But also, this.

Ok, now I'm having a hard time articulating why this is scummy. Basically, I think it's scummy to jump on someone else's case and then sort of softly egg that person on to back it up with a vote. Like he's impatient to get a wagon going.

I don't agree, I think the question was fine.

I do think Galz is behaving quite like he did last game as scum, mostly in terms of relatively being lurky, but it's kind of early to say so for sure.

And then we're getting into WIFOM territory, but doesn't scum!Galz switch it up and go for overactivity here?

SpaceAnemone

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: July 23, 2020, 05:10:18 pm »

Hmm.. I fail to see the link between this and chess. Unless you have a version of chess where paying attention to your opponent's shoelaces or the weather outside has as much bearing on the game state as the pieces on the board, and where nobody's going to tell you what extra details were in any way important until later.

SpaceAnemone

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: July 23, 2020, 05:15:31 pm »

I do think Galz is behaving quite like he did last game as scum, mostly in terms of relatively being lurky, but it's kind of early to say so for sure.

And then we're getting into WIFOM territory, but doesn't scum!Galz switch it up and go for overactivity here?

Isn't that part of the point Joth was bringing up at #189?

I mean, I guess I could read it as Joth expecting Galz to play exactly as he's just advertized that he would, but I feel like as soon as someone thinks they have a handle on their scum play, they're going to try not to do exaclty what they just said they'd do, as either alignment.

SpaceAnemone

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: July 23, 2020, 05:17:00 pm »

I can't even begin to start trying to address this post.

@MiX, just in case you're missing it, I think Pops is trying to point out to you that you were misgendering her.

SpaceAnemone

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: July 23, 2020, 05:20:03 pm »

I know you followed this post up with a note that you'd found them, but in case anyone else would like a reminder, I'm they/them by preference, or she/her for people who can't deal with that. "Default he" will sometimes get a pretty cranky response.

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: July 23, 2020, 05:21:34 pm »

It's 2020, everyone can deal with the singular they.  8)

He/him

MiX

• Salvager
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: July 23, 2020, 05:22:51 pm »

That gets really confusing really fast, especially with people that are they by themselves.

I know you followed this post up with a note that you'd found them, but in case anyone else would like a reminder, I'm they/them by preference, or she/her for people who can't deal with that. "Default he" will sometimes get a pretty cranky response.

Thank you, I forgot.

SpaceAnemone

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: July 23, 2020, 05:24:12 pm »

I sign every word. Space, I love your humor

Hrrrrm.. I remain sceptical about humor and humour.

What did you think of my accompanying vote? Are you voting for anyone yet?

In other news, I haven't yet instantiated my vote counter for this game.

SpaceAnemone

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: July 23, 2020, 05:32:47 pm »

If only! I'm closely related to at least one person who doesn't deal at all well, and I've never had the confidence to try to use it in a professional context :-(

As for online use, I do find I get a bit unreasonably frustrated at being called "he", so I try to bias people so they fall down on the side of the gender binary I'm more used to IRL, if they're going to gender me anyway.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: July 23, 2020, 05:35:55 pm »

Hmm.. I fail to see the link between this and chess. Unless you have a version of chess where paying attention to your opponent's shoelaces or the weather outside has as much bearing on the game state as the pieces on the board, and where nobody's going to tell you what extra details were in any way important until later.
If you're one of those "no one ever plays better than random at mafia" misanthropes I need to reload my day gun

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 23, 2020, 05:43:42 pm »

I think I remember Galzria being lurky as town but having some townish flavor when they did come around.  I kind of have a bad watched-pot-won't-boil-right-vibe about the punishment initiative, seems like the sort that will become sort of harder to sort if you get out of sorts

Swowl

• Pawn
  • Snow.Owl.Duh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 23, 2020, 06:15:41 pm »

Why should we join you?

I'm so glad you asked!

Unvote

But also, this.

are you saying that galz is not being lurky in this game?
real good. Thatís how

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 23, 2020, 06:24:24 pm »

weirdly, he's lurking but when he checked in he was very forceful. so... idk what I mean.

He/him

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 23, 2020, 06:31:45 pm »

weirdly, he's lurking but when he checked in he was very forceful. so... idk what I mean.
TELL ME WHY I PICKED SHUDDERWOCK WHEN I KNOW IN MY HEART IT'S WRONG

Swowl

• Pawn
  • Snow.Owl.Duh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 23, 2020, 06:33:06 pm »

TELL ME WHY I PICKED SHUDDERWOCK WHEN I KNOW IN MY HEART IT'S WRONG

for pogos obv
real good. Thatís how

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: July 23, 2020, 06:55:32 pm »

My first pogo was offered on the turn I knew it was impossible to survive another round, no matter what I refreshed into in that tier, I was so behind.  It was a cruel joke.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: July 23, 2020, 06:55:50 pm »

why did you answer for joth, are you scum with him?

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: July 23, 2020, 07:02:40 pm »

I have no idea what you guys are talking about. Is this the new generation of Pokemon?

He/him

MiX

• Salvager
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: July 23, 2020, 07:04:12 pm »

I have no idea what you guys are talking about. Is this the new generation of Pokemon?

It's hearthstone, I think. And is pops drunk again? Why did she ask you?

It looks like a joke but for me that cements both of you as scum partners.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: July 23, 2020, 07:14:32 pm »

I asked jotheonah whether I should pick Eudora or Shudderwock in the Zombie Anthropologist QT.  He said Shudderwock.  I told him I wouldn't do that because it was obviously silly but for some reason when the timer ticked down to one I picked the fun but ineffective Shudderwock.

The QT window was close, so I visited the thread to express my outrage about losing 75 elo points.

scolapasta

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: July 23, 2020, 07:17:35 pm »

You know what, I'm switching my vote:

Vote: popsofctown

She went from indignation at setup talk, without really offering an alternative - except general discussion of D1 importance. And now hearthstone (?). Add in that the weird WIFOM back and forth with me...

Meanwhile I'll still keep my eyes on Galz' lurking / aggressiveness (though of course, it feels like this will suffer from the Observer Effect).

EFHW

• Navigator
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: July 23, 2020, 07:25:53 pm »

vote: Pops. Constant refs to other game.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: July 23, 2020, 07:47:58 pm »

Lol

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: July 23, 2020, 07:56:39 pm »

Scolapasta, fluffposting when someone hasn't contributed to the thread is theoretically scum indicative (in application I hardly ever see it) based on the theory that they are substituting neutral content for content that would inherently expose their alignment.  But that theory doesn't work when fluffposting is additive, which apparently is what the camel backstraw was here.  Like, what is my incentive if I were scum to post about getting wrecked as jabberwock?

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #225 on: July 23, 2020, 08:47:59 pm »

As Robz put it via Mcmc: Annoying posting does not equal scummy posting.

(I donít think itís annoying at all. ❤️ Hearthstone. Posts make me chuckle).

The point being, thereís nothing in those posts that are alignment indicative. Judge game posts, not fluff posts.

Mafia Record:

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: July 23, 2020, 09:01:57 pm »

Why should we join you?

I'm so glad you asked!

Unvote

But also, this.

Swowy, I tend to think Robz has the same alignment as the Finkle Einhorn card based on this post.  Would you agree?  It's a weak feeling for me.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: July 23, 2020, 09:02:57 pm »

As galzria has explained any of my posts that reference hearthstone cards are not game posts so let me have a private chat with swowy please  ;)

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: July 23, 2020, 09:03:55 pm »

Omg smilies have been disabled on my forum for four days I feel like I've snuck into a speakeasy getting to use them 8) 8) ;D ;D

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: July 23, 2020, 09:11:36 pm »

Why should we join you?

I'm so glad you asked!

Unvote

But also, this.

Swowy, I tend to think Robz has the same alignment as the Finkle Einhorn card based on this post.  Would you agree?  It's a weak feeling for me.

What, playing for the other team? Eh.

Iím not sold on his explanation for lack of vote against Chairs. At least, he called Chairs post  ďannoying but not scummyĒ, and I disagree - I think itís scummy. Or at least, I think itís more in the alignment indicative category than NAI category,

Mafia Record:

Swowl

• Pawn
  • Snow.Owl.Duh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: July 23, 2020, 09:20:52 pm »

Why should we join you?

I'm so glad you asked!

Unvote

But also, this.

I cannot think of a clever enough answer for this one.
Which one is skum for you Galz or Robz?
real good. Thatís how

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: July 23, 2020, 09:24:26 pm »

Why should we join you?

I'm so glad you asked!

Unvote

But also, this.

I cannot think of a clever enough answer for this one.
Which one is skum for you Galz or Robz?

Does one of us have to be scum? Why?

Mafia Record:

MiX

• Salvager
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: July 23, 2020, 09:25:09 pm »

Fellas, please, you don't need to keep quoting.

You can just make a post that obviously refers to the last one.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: July 23, 2020, 09:26:49 pm »

I post almost 100% from my phone. Modifying out posts is a significant amount of work that very often ends in mistakes. Quoting and responding is much, much easier.

Mafia Record:

Swowl

• Pawn
  • Snow.Owl.Duh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: July 23, 2020, 09:29:27 pm »

Why should we join you?

I'm so glad you asked!

Unvote

But also, this.

what no. maybe the guy is just lazy af.
real good. Thatís how

MiX

• Salvager
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: July 23, 2020, 09:31:17 pm »

Swowl and Galzria are both town.

Yay, I don't need to be sorting Galzria anymore!

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: July 23, 2020, 09:43:12 pm »

Why should we join you?

I'm so glad you asked!

Unvote

But also, this.

I donít understand these accusations of inactivity (from you and/or everybody else).

The game has been open less than 36 hours. I feel like Iíve been more than reasonably active & engaged. Certainly I feel like Iím doing my part to note things that ping me, and ask for more details from those that I feel havenít responded satisfactorily.

Yeah, Iím not MiX level active, but nobody is, and I certainly NEVER am. Iím not really sure why Iím being held to some imaginary standards that others arenít being held to.

Mafia Record:

MiX

• Salvager
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: July 23, 2020, 09:45:05 pm »

I mean, I'm MiX active...

I'll shuttup now.

Swowl

• Pawn
  • Snow.Owl.Duh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: July 23, 2020, 09:55:35 pm »

Why should we join you?

I'm so glad you asked!

Unvote

But also, this.

I donít understand these accusations of inactivity (from you and/or everybody else).

The game has been open less than 36 hours. I feel like Iíve been more than reasonably active & engaged. Certainly I feel like Iím doing my part to note things that ping me, and ask for more details from those that I feel havenít responded satisfactorily.

Yeah, Iím not MiX level active, but nobody is, and I certainly NEVER am. Iím not really sure why Iím being held to some imaginary standards that others arenít being held to.

you know it was a joke
real good. Thatís how

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: July 23, 2020, 11:15:25 pm »

Why should we join you?

I'm so glad you asked!

Unvote

But also, this.

you know it was a joke

Sure. The kind thatís built upon the non-joking accusation of others. One that further a narrative while distancing yourself from the accusations themselves.

Mafia Record:

Swowl

• Pawn
  • Snow.Owl.Duh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: July 24, 2020, 01:17:16 am »

Why should we join you?

I'm so glad you asked!

Unvote

But also, this.

you know it was a joke

Sure. The kind thatís built upon the non-joking accusation of others. One that further a narrative while distancing yourself from the accusations themselves.

ok or Vote: Galz whatever you prefer
real good. Thatís how

Swowl

• Pawn
  • Snow.Owl.Duh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: July 24, 2020, 04:05:06 am »

false. quoting is good. easier to find later.
real good. Thatís how

Swowl

• Pawn
  • Snow.Owl.Duh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: July 24, 2020, 04:06:56 am »

Does one of us have to be scum? Why?

you play hearthstone I think. I am pretty sure you can piece together the inference pops was making. thus my question.
real good. Thatís how

Swowl

• Pawn
  • Snow.Owl.Duh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: July 24, 2020, 04:07:39 am »

not  "vla"... but I will be out for like the next 24 hours.
real good. Thatís how

SpaceAnemone

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: July 24, 2020, 06:32:38 am »

As galzria has explained any of my posts that reference hearthstone cards are not game posts so let me have a private chat with swowy please  ;)

Could you maybe make friends on FaceBook and not clutter the game thread?

I find it harder to feel like I'm really a part of the game when there's lots of conversation about stuff I have zero knowledge or interest in that's totally unrelated to mafia. The usual example (from my perspective) is alcohol, but Hearthstone seems to fit the bill. It's not inclusive fluff like what Didds posts, where at least it feels like she's trying to build community with everyone... if you're posting a load of stuff that only makes sense to people who've already invested in getting to know about whatever it is you're posting, then that's kind of clique-y, and I think it's easily anti-town because you're upping the number of excuses people have for not engaging when the thread is full of stuff that means nothing to them.

Vote: Popsofctown

LaLight

• Jester
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: July 24, 2020, 06:54:02 am »

Could you maybe make friends on FaceBook and not clutter the game thread?

I find it harder to feel like I'm really a part of the game when there's lots of conversation about stuff I have zero knowledge or interest in that's totally unrelated to mafia. The usual example (from my perspective) is alcohol, but Hearthstone seems to fit the bill. It's not inclusive fluff like what Didds posts, where at least it feels like she's trying to build community with everyone... if you're posting a load of stuff that only makes sense to people who've already invested in getting to know about whatever it is you're posting, then that's kind of clique-y, and I think it's easily anti-town because you're upping the number of excuses people have for not engaging when the thread is full of stuff that means nothing to them.

Vote: Popsofctown

yeah, pretty much this.
vote: Swowl

MiX

• Salvager
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: July 24, 2020, 07:41:37 am »

None of it is scummy, however. The huge wall posts because Swowl and Galzria refuse to not quote are also not, unfortunately.

They're both incredibly anti-town and distract the thread from joth's scumslip.

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: July 24, 2020, 07:53:26 am »

I asked jotheonah whether I should pick Eudora or Shudderwock in the Zombie Anthropologist QT.  He said Shudderwock.  I told him I wouldn't do that because it was obviously silly but for some reason when the timer ticked down to one I picked the fun but ineffective Shudderwock.

The QT window was close, so I visited the thread to express my outrage about losing 75 elo points.

You're thinking of someone else because I still have no idea what you're talking about.

He/him

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: July 24, 2020, 07:56:54 am »

None of it is scummy, however. The huge wall posts because Swowl and Galzria refuse to not quote are also not, unfortunately.

You mis-spelled townslip.

He/him

MiX

• Salvager
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: July 24, 2020, 07:58:05 am »

You're thinking of someone else because I still have no idea what you're talking about.

The scummy answer

You mis-spelled townslip.

And the towny answer, moments later.

I rest my case.

MiX

• Salvager
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: July 24, 2020, 08:23:50 am »

Wait what...

Sigh, I'm just really stupid. Really really dumb.

My point is with all this talk, random people are being voted for doing anti-town things, instead of town actually scumhunting, aka seeing why joth is scum.

The scumslip isn't there, it was just to see what people other than you would say.

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: July 24, 2020, 09:03:41 am »

Well, it seems like in the absence of folks uninterested or unable to scumhunt, that voting for the anti-town folks is a pretty good fall back.

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: July 24, 2020, 09:10:09 am »

I donít remember who Iím voting for....MiX, maybe? Thatís alright for now, I think. Mix, youíre feeling a little low energy to me. Are you doing okay?

I think at least one of the trio of swowl, pops, and Galz is probably scum, but probably not two of them. Iím not quite sure how to parse that out. 

I forgot Dylan was in the game. Sorry Dylan! How you been? Whoís scum??

Thanks, Space, for knowing my intention is always to build community.

MiX

• Salvager
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: July 24, 2020, 09:15:23 am »

I'm not low energy! I refuse that label.

What do you want me to do, make a case on joth? Cause I wanted other people to talk about him first.

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: July 24, 2020, 09:33:05 am »

I'm not low energy! I refuse that label.

What do you want me to do, make a case on joth? Cause I wanted other people to talk about him first.

Im not trying to label. You just seem less enthusiastic to me, so I was checking in because I care about you. Of course this is all just words on a page and easy to misread.

Reall? scum vibes from Joth?

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: July 24, 2020, 09:35:20 am »

It also be that Iím feeling less enthusiasm from you because weíre not in a mind meld. Sometimes I channel you, sometimes not.

chairs

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: July 24, 2020, 10:03:00 am »

vote: pops

I hate Hearthstone and I'm blaming you for Hearthstone talk occurring.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: July 24, 2020, 10:05:27 am »

not  "vla"... but I will be out for like the next 24 hours.

I thought Galz was getting the better of swowl in their exchange, which culminated in swowl OMGUS voting for Galz, and then declaring a 24 hour partial VLA, which I read as I'm-taking-heat-gotta-get-out-of-here, and THAT is legitimately more likely to be scum behavior.
Vote: Swowl

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: July 24, 2020, 10:06:56 am »

Not at all convinced by the votes on pops. People who are extremely quiet shouldn't complain about him.

MiX

• Salvager
  • It's me.
    • View Profile