Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Black Market and Dominion 2019 Errata  (Read 1448 times)

celicath

• Pawn
  • Shuffle iT Username: Celicath
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
Black Market and Dominion 2019 Errata
« on: July 04, 2020, 02:33:25 am »
+1

Question: Do you gain another copy of Port or Experiment when you buy them from Black Market?

Relevant rule:

4. You can gain non-Supply cards when called out.

When a card tells you to gain a non-Supply card by name, you can gain it from its pile, even though it's not in the Supply.

This is just letting me drop "from its pile" from those cards, which wasn't a great way to make it clear that you really get to gain them.

Before the rule change, you couldn't gain the copy because they were not in the supply. But now it seems you can gain cards from non-supply if they are called by name. Is it correct?

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
Re: Black Market and Dominion 2019 Errata
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2020, 02:45:28 am »
+4

I would say that's not the intention of the new rule so it's not true, but here's another explanation for this conclusion as well: the Port pile is not in the game in this situation; there is only a single Port in the Black Market pile.  Thus, there is nowhere to gain another Port from.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2020, 10:55:53 am »
+7

Question: Do you gain another copy of Port or Experiment when you buy them from Black Market?

Relevant rule:

When a card tells you to gain a non-Supply card by name, you can gain it from its pile, even though it's not in the Supply.

This is just letting me drop "from its pile" from those cards, which wasn't a great way to make it clear that you really get to gain them.

Before the rule change, you couldn't gain the copy because they were not in the supply. But now it seems you can gain cards from non-supply if they are called by name. Is it correct?

Port isn't a non-Supply card. It's a Supply card that isn't being used this game.

Similarly, Count can't gain a Duchy from outside the game, even though in a 2-player game there are Duchies in the box.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2020, 11:39:34 am »
+3

Relevant rule:

Port isn't a non-Supply card. It's a Supply card that isn't being used this game.

Similarly, Count can't gain a Duchy from outside the game, even though in a 2-player game there are Duchies in the box.

This seems like the best and most natural ruling. Though it does lead to a bit of weird situation where you have to know which cards are “in the game” more so than you used to. Like, it never mattered whether Spoils was “in the game”; it was just always assumed to be in the game anytime another card in the game referred to it by name. Now we must make a clear distinction that Port is not in the game; but Spoils is in the game.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 02:57:28 pm by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 21 queries.