Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Combo: Stockpile and Cavalry  (Read 1194 times)

ednever

• Minion
  • Respect: +722
    • View Profile
Combo: Stockpile and Cavalry
« on: June 30, 2020, 04:55:02 pm »
+3

It's not an obvious one, but I have pulled it off a number of times to win when I otherwise should not have.

You need to have drawn your deck(ish) with some stockpiles in hand.

You play the Stockpiles(set aside), then buy a Stockpile ($3) and the ones you just played get sent back to your discard. Then you buy a Cavalry ($4 - so $7 total) and you draw two more cards (often two more Stockpiles - worth $6), that you can then play to do it again.

You are down at least $1 each time (sometimes more if you draw the Cavalry you just purchased), so by itself it is nothing special, but it can be combined to do some magic. The stockpiles give you $$s and buys. The Cavalry gives you draw (both when you buy, but also playing to get horses). So if you have a source of actions, you can often do something like this: 

- Play 8 Stockpiles ($24, 9 buys), buy a stockpile and a Cavalry (-$7), then use the horses you already have to draw back all the stockpiles and play 9 this time (+$27)

This works even better with cost reduction.

In this game (#49451302 - not sure how to link to it), there were no +actions and I lost the highway split 8-2. But I had trimmed my deck. On my last turn I Remade a cavalry into a stockpile, then played three stockpile and bought another stockpile ($1) and a cavalry ($2), which. drew back two more stockpiles. I repeated to empty both piles, with enough. leftover to buy three provinces and a few estates for the win

Since both cards are in the same expansion (and you can currently play "5 cards from that expansion" as an option right now on dominion online),  it is a combo you could end up seeing lot. 

Variation:Villa also lets you play Stockpiles and then get them back into your deck.  If you have excess draw this could work too, but Cavalry tends to work better as it gives you the draw you need to get the Stockpiles back the same turn, and the extra buys. from Villa aren't usually needed with. all the buys you get from the Stockpiles.

Cheers,

Ed
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 20 queries.